"call police?"

Gorgor

I don't know what reminded me of this but I remember years ago seeing an M79 bus, with passengers in it, leaving the 1st Avenue bus stop going towards the west side but the front sign said "CALL POLICE" and the two orange lights at either side of it were flashing.

I figured that the driver must have somehow accidentally changed the display to that and didn't bother to call 911 because surely if something was wrong he could radio the police or a passenger would call if they saw that something was up.

What was that and when do they use that?

If a bus driver or passenger is being held hostage by a deranged maniac or a terrorist, how can he radio for help without the criminal knowing? He can't. That is what the "Call Police" sign is for. The button to activate the sign is near the turn signal buttons and can be pressed discreetly using the foot. This allows for the bus driver to alert for help without the assailant knowing.

Obviously, if you're a pedestrian and you see a bus roll by with "Call Police" on the sign, you should call the police and give the bus's number and location. You never know what is going on inside the bus without actually being in it.

If a bus driver or passenger is being held hostage by a deranged maniac or a terrorist, how can he radio for help without the criminal knowing? He can't. That is what the "Call Police" sign is for. The button to activate the sign is near the turn signal buttons and can be pressed discreetly using the foot. This allows for the bus driver to alert for help without the assailant knowing.

:tup:

Over the years the "Distress Button" has been activated by the driver on accident plenty of times. I've noticed the flashing lights and Call Police of Call Cops a few times. I never knew if it was a false alarm or not, but I've seen it on the B25, B46, B54, B57, M16 or M34 (couldn't tell which one), M35, and M101.

Ah, I see. But most people probably would just ignore it, like I did, because they'd find it just too strange to be real. Wouldn't it make so much more sense if instead of the button triggering the sign to say "call police" it automatically sent a signal to the police directly?

Ah, I see. But most people probably would just ignore it, like I did, because they'd find it just too strange to be real. Wouldn't it make so much more sense if instead of the button triggering the sign to say "call police" it automatically sent a signal to the police directly?

The thing is, most all of us have seen it and just ignored it. What if their really was an emergency?? I guess this is why the "hoodlum" lamps are no longer an MTA spec. on the new buses.

Archived