S46/96 service to Teleport Business Park

LRG

After almost a decade, the S46 returns to the Teleport once again (this will go in effect Tuesday, September 6th, NOT August 29th):

Some buses now stop or terminate inside Teleport Business Park

Some S46 and S96 buses stop or terminate inside Teleport Business Park on weekdays from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.

Before you board, look at the destination sign on the front of the bus to make sure you are on the right bus to the Teleport or West Shore Plaza.

Link: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/servChanges_s46_s96.htm

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They should have all S46s running to West Shore Plaza and have S96s running every 30 minutes to/from the Teleport from 7:00am to 7pm.

wrong only during shift times should S46/96 go there it's that same mentality that makes B15 JFK slow and actually overserves the postal facility most buses pass through without even picking ppl up or dropping ppl off. Do you want that to happen to S46/96???? If that happens then too many buses will be slowed down!!!!!! don't get excessive here.

After almost a decade, the S46 returns to the Teleport once again (this will go in effect Tuesday, September 6th, NOT August 29th):

Link: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/servChanges_s46_s96.htm

I wonder when the new schedule will come out. They still have the 9/12/10 schedule on the MTA website.

wrong only during shift times should S46/96 go there it's that same mentality that makes B15 JFK slow and actually overserves the postal facility most buses pass through without even picking ppl up or dropping ppl off. Do you want that to happen to S46/96???? If that happens then too many buses will be slowed down!!!!!! don't get excessive here.

I can't picture it being the same situation as the B15. You're talking about an office park, rather than regular streets with traffic lights.

Why?

To speed the service up. The problem is that there isn't that much demand for service south of Forest Avenue. If it were just the S96s going every 30 minutes, that would probably be too little, but if they cut back alternate buses to Forest Avenue, you'd have uneven headways along South Avenue.

Yeah, I wonder if the short-turns to Forest Avenue would be moved to the Teleport as well.

This is interesting seeing Teleport service returning as that was ousted around the early part of last decade. I wonder what made the MTA change their minds though.

Yeah, I wonder if the short-turns to Forest Avenue would be moved to the Teleport as well.

This is interesting seeing Teleport service returning as that was ousted around the early part of last decade. I wonder what made the MTA change their minds though.

I can't really picture that happening. Like I said, ridership south of Forest Avenue is pretty low.

Then again, maybe there's a big thing that opened in the Teleport that could attract more ridership.

not enough for full time service. I shouldn't turn into a overserved situation

You could cut 24/7 service south of Forest Avenue. Nobody lives south of the SIE (and I assume all of the businesses are closed), and those north of the SIE can walk over to the S40 or S48.

Realistically, though, I don't think you would save a whole lot of money.

If you're referring to the Teleport being overserved, it's only going to be served weekdays from 07:00 to 19:00, which is fair, and not all of the buses are going in there. Check the schedule.

The schedule is posted.

Thanks. It'll be good to know of any changes before school starts. It looks like buses will be bunching a bit more than they do now. :( I'll probably be walking the last few blocks from the S44/S89 more often than I did last year (instead of taking the S46/S96)

By the way, does anybody have the codes for the new signs?

For the ones that end at the Teleport, it'll probably say "Teleport via Castleton" (it'll probably give them a chance to correct the misspelling on "Castleton"), and for the ones that go via the Teleport, it'll probably say "W Shore Plz via Castleton, via Teleport" (or "St. George Ferry via Teleport, via Castleton"). Of course, for the S96s, it'll probably say "St. George" like it currently does.

BTW, it was the S62 that went to the Teleport in the past...why the decision to send the S46 and not the S62 to the Teleport? To me, this is set up to fail, because anyone who is anyone knows how slow the S46 is. Plus the S46 goes through the rough-and-tumble neighborhoods of the North Shore, while the S62 sees much better areas.

If costs are an issue, the S62/92 could go to Charleston (deadheads via the West Shore Expressway) and the S55/6 could go to Yukon in return.

But as others have said, why have late night/early morning service to West Shore Plaza?

Also, how is the Teleport in terms of tenancy these days?

BTW, it was the S62 that went to the Teleport in the past...why the decision to send the S46 and not the S62 to the Teleport? To me, this is set up to fail, because anyone who is anyone knows how slow the S46 is. Plus the S46 goes through the rough-and-tumble neighborhoods of the North Shore, while the S62 sees much better areas.

If costs are an issue, the S62/92 could go to Charleston (deadheads via the West Shore Expressway) and the S55/6 could go to Yukon in return.

But as others have said, why have late night/early morning service to West Shore Plaza?

Also, how is the Teleport in terms of tenancy these days?

I have a map from 1993 that shows the S62 going to the Teleport reverse-peak (from St. George in the AM and to St. George in the PM). I believe back in 1996, the S46 replaced in enroute to the West Shore Plaza.

The reason they are having the S46 detour instead of sending the S62 is because it costs less. The S62 really doesn't need the extra service (but on the flip side, they shouldn't really cut service from Travis and send it to the Teleport)

But you're right that the slowness is an issue. That's why I've always felt it's the S40 that should serve the West Shore Plaza rather than the S46 (also, while the areas it serves are a bit rougher than those served by the S46, the riders seem to be a bit more civilized)

As far as the overnight service to the West Shore Plaza, there is really no reason for it. What they should do is, since they've sent it to the West Shore Plaza already, they should extend it a bit further to Travis so that it least it serves a residential neighborhood once it goes south of the SIE.

I have a map from 1993 that shows the S62 going to the Teleport reverse-peak (from St. George in the AM and to St. George in the PM). I believe back in 1996, the S46 replaced in enroute to the West Shore Plaza.

The reason they are having the S46 detour instead of sending the S62 is because it costs less. The S62 really doesn't need the extra service (but on the flip side, they shouldn't really cut service from Travis and send it to the Teleport)

But you're right that the slowness is an issue. That's why I've always felt it's the S40 that should serve the West Shore Plaza rather than the S46 (also, while the areas it serves are a bit rougher than those served by the S46, the riders seem to be a bit more civilized)

As far as the overnight service to the West Shore Plaza, there is really no reason for it. What they should do is, since they've sent it to the West Shore Plaza already, they should extend it a bit further to Travis so that it least it serves a residential neighborhood once it goes south of the SIE.

If S46 is so slow convert half of it's trips to S96

If S46 is so slow convert half of it's trips to S96

The S40 would still be much faster. Going along Richmond Terrace is a straight shot with hardly any traffic lights, whereas Castleton Avenue is much slower (plus, the S46 makes a whole bunch of turns in the Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor area, which wouldn't be solved by the S96).

Anybody traveling a significant distance should already be on the S40/S90 anyway.

The S40 would still be much faster. Going along Richmond Terrace is a straight shot with hardly any traffic lights, whereas Castleton Avenue is much slower (plus, the S46 makes a whole bunch of turns in the Port Richmond and Mariners' Harbor area, which wouldn't be solved by the S96).

Anybody traveling a significant distance should already be on the S40/S90 anyway.

Then swap the S46 and S40 terminals

There are hotels along South Ave and probably overnight workers that use the S46 over there. As cost-cutting as the MTA has become, I'm sure they wouldn't let the S46 run all the to West Shore at night for no reason.

The S46 also runs a lot more frequently with the new teleport service, so slow and overcrowded buses shouldn't be as much of an issue this Fall.

There are hotels along South Ave and probably overnight workers that use the S46 over there. As cost-cutting as the MTA has become, I'm sure they wouldn't let the S46 run all the to West Shore at night for no reason.

The S46 also runs a lot more frequently with the new teleport service, so slow and overcrowded buses shouldn't be as much of an issue this Fall.

There's also some sort of Nursing school over there too, so I'm sure the service will be utilized.

man, just leave those routes be....

--------------

I didn't know those buses actually stopped going to the teleport.... thanks LRG....

Having taken the x19 & the 22 recently, I know of those hotels they done propped up over there....

But what is that teleport supposed to be for anyway?

Of all the S46's I ever took to west shore plz, none of them ever went in there.....

--------------

I didn't know those buses actually stopped going to the teleport.... thanks LRG....

Having taken the x19 & the 22 recently, I know of those hotels they done propped up over there....

Of all the S46's I ever took to west shore plz, none of them ever went in there.....

Back in the day the Teleport used to have some big companies there and then they moved out. Politicians have been trying to get other companies to move in over there for years now because there is a ton of office space. Of course this would mean tons of jobs for Staten Island also and economic growth, so that's basically the story behind that.

Perhaps, but the S40/S90 combo is unreliable, which would explain the higher ridership on the S46/S96.

I already said that.

I haven't rode the S46 in the dead of the night, so its possible.

And the headways haven't improved. They have been 12 minutes for the past year. Plus, if you had an empty bus down Richmond Terrace and an empty bus down the S46 route, the Richmond Terrace one would win every time.

So even if there was additional service, the overcrowding is only one part of the problem. The other problems are the extra traffic lights and turns the S46 has to go through compared to the S40.

There's also some sort of Nursing school over there too, so I'm sure the service will be utilized.

--------------

(To both of you): There is a charter school on Goethals Road North. I think there are a couple of schools within the building, and one of them is being moved inside the Teleport.

And B35, he has a point there. The S46 would end up being more reliable, and South Avenue would have much faster service to St. George (about 10-15 minutes faster. Even faster when there's a problem on the S46).

It would make it a little bit harder for people coming from the North Shore to the West Shore Plaza (since the S46 is more in the residential areas), but it would help people along South Avenue reach the ferry faster, with more reliable service to boot.

Perhaps, but the S40/S90 combo is unreliable, which would explain the higher ridership on the S46/S96.

The S46/S96 are also unreliable. The reason why they get more ridership is because they run right through the middle of the neighborhoods they serve, whereas the S40/S90 go through the edge of the neighborhoods, making them less convenient to get to. They're also a bit more frequent, making them more attractive.

Plus, I would say that the S46/S96 get more turnover than the S40/S90. For example, at Port Richmond Avenue westbound, you see a decent crowd of people waiting for the S46/S96, whereas you see a handful of people waiting for the S40/S90.

In terms of cost-efficiency, those routes aren't too far off. You have the S46/S96 at $1.96 per passenger, and the S40/S90 at $2.19 per passenger. The ridership is much higher on the S46 (about 8,600 vs. 5,000), but it is much slower, which causes it to cost more.

I already said that.

I haven't rode the S46 in the dead of the night, so its possible.

And the headways haven't improved. They have been 12 minutes for the past year. Plus, if you had an empty bus down Richmond Terrace and an empty bus down the S46 route, the Richmond Terrace one would win every time.

So even if there was additional service, the overcrowding is only one part of the problem. The other problems are the extra traffic lights and turns the S46 has to go through compared to the S40.

(To both of you): There is a charter school on Goethals Road North. I think there are a couple of schools within the building, and one of them is being moved inside the Teleport.

And B35, he has a point there. The S46 would end up being more reliable, and South Avenue would have much faster service to St. George (about 10-15 minutes faster. Even faster when there's a problem on the S46).

It would make it a little bit harder for people coming from the North Shore to the West Shore Plaza (since the S46 is more in the residential areas), but it would help people along South Avenue reach the ferry faster, with more reliable service to boot.

The S46/S96 are also unreliable. The reason why they get more ridership is because they run right through the middle of the neighborhoods they serve, whereas the S40/S90 go through the edge of the neighborhoods, making them less convenient to get to. They're also a bit more frequent, making them more attractive.

Plus, I would say that the S46/S96 get more turnover than the S40/S90. For example, at Port Richmond Avenue westbound, you see a decent crowd of people waiting for the S46/S96, whereas you see a handful of people waiting for the S40/S90.

In terms of cost-efficiency, those routes aren't too far off. You have the S46/S96 at $1.96 per passenger, and the S40/S90 at $2.19 per passenger. The ridership is much higher on the S46 (about 8,600 vs. 5,000), but it is much slower, which causes it to cost more.

LOL... Let me correct myself... The S40/S90 is more unreliable than the S46 and with the headways the way they are on that line, it just seems worse. As you already pointed out the S46/S96 are more frequent and more convenient to get to.

LOL... Let me correct myself... The S40/S90 is more unreliable than the S46 and with the headways the way they are on that line, it just seems worse. As you already pointed out the S46/S96 are more frequent and more convenient to get to.

No, you said the right thing. The S40/S90 are more unreliable (they have more of a tendancy to go MIA or come a bit early) and the S46/S96 riders make shorter trips, which explains the higher ridership.

I mean, nobody from Mariners' Harbor is going to ride the S46 all the way to St. George (unless they're a busfan or have time to kill), but they could ride to West Brighton and not think twice about it.

Which is why swapping the S40 and S46 is a mixed bag. Overall, it benefits people, but there are a few people who will be negatively affected.

Not from where I stand, he doesn't...

I still don't see what moving the S46 to Howland Hook & moving the S40 to West Shore plaza's supposed to accomplish.....

- and what's supposed to be done w/ the short turned 46's.... or are you gonna have every 46 pan out to howland hook...

- and what are you gonna do when there's a bunch of empt(ier) S40's runnin all over the place? it'd make it easier to actually cut service (increase headways) on that route if you swap terminals.... You think they're gonna have buses run along richmond terrace AND (short turn buses over there on Forest like current 46's do)? You think every run would pan down to west shore plz? You think richmond terrace gets the same/similar amt. of ridership that castleton gets, enough to warrant any of this garbage?

yeah right....

For someone who seems to think the borough gets adequate service, you tend to either co-sign, or come up w/ stuff that would make matters worse....

give me a break w/ these "as a matter of fact" arguments, checkmate....

Not from where I stand, he doesn't...

I still don't see what moving the S46 to Howland Hook & moving the S40 to West Shore plaza's supposed to accomplish.....

- and what's supposed to be done w/ the short turned 46's.... or are you gonna have every 46 pan out to howland hook...

- and what are you gonna do when there's a bunch of empt(ier) S40's runnin all over the place? it'd make it easier to actually cut service (increase headways) on that route if you swap terminals.... You think they're gonna have buses run along richmond terrace AND short turn buses over there on Forest like current 46's do? You think richmond terrace gets the same/similar amt. of ridership that castleton gets, enough to warrant any of this garbage?

yeah right....

For someone who seems to think the borough gets adequate service, you tend to either co-sign, or come up w/ stuff that would make matters worse....

give me a break w/ these "as a matter of fact" arguments, checkmate....

LOL... And here the politicians are particularly Molinaro trying to draw folks my age to Staten Island. Meanwhile we're all moving elsewhere where there is better transit, so that certainly says something. The idea of me moving to another borough was certainly not in the cards until I went to Riverdale and now I'm just about certain that when the time comes that I'll be moving there. It is still kind of weird to even say that I'll be living in the Bronx, albeit Riverdale, but I am really fed up with the transportation on Staten Island.

Last night I thought I had actually missed the 21:30 X10 and was about to give up and walk over to the X1 stop. Almost 30 minutes later the X10 shows up. That was at a time when the X10 runs once an hour, so I was cursing up a storm thinking how in the hell did he already come and he is supposed to leave 57th & 3rd at 21:30? I got to my stop at 21:33 and it is practically impossible for him to arrive that fast unless he left the first stop early. Going to the city today the X10 was 10 minutes early at the stop. He was supposed to be at Slosson & Schmidts Lane at 12:59 and he was already on almost on the Verrazano by then. ;)

Archived