S46/96 service to Teleport Business Park

LRG

Not from where I stand, he doesn't...

I still don't see what moving the S46 to Howland Hook & moving the S40 to West Shore plaza's supposed to accomplish.....

- and what's supposed to be done w/ the short turned 46's.... or are you gonna have every 46 pan out to howland hook...

- and what are you gonna do when there's a bunch of empt(ier) S40's runnin all over the place? it'd make it easier to actually cut service (increase headways) on that route if you swap terminals.... You think they're gonna have buses run along richmond terrace AND (short turn buses over there on Forest like current 46's do)? You think every run would pan down to west shore plz? You think richmond terrace gets the same/similar amt. of ridership that castleton gets, enough to warrant any of this garbage?

yeah right....

For someone who seems to think the borough gets adequate service, you tend to either co-sign, or come up w/ stuff that would make matters worse....

give me a break w/ these "as a matter of fact" arguments, checkmate....

Well, they could short-turn some buses by Grandview Avenue/Forest Avenue, like they do now. Or, they could just run them to the Goethals Homes. It's only a few minutes extra.

The S46 serves South Avenue every 12 minutes. The S40 runs every 15-20 minutes the whole day, and 20 minutes is actually the level of service I think South Avenue needs (coming from somebody who uses it pretty frequently in that area), so it works out well.

And you're kidding me if you think the S40 would be emptier as a result of serving the West Shore Plaza. On average, there's about 1 person west of South Avenue (this is from experience, not stats). The S46 doesn't get a whole bunch of riders along South Avenue, but it gets a hell of a lot more usage than the S40, so there's no way they're going to reduce service on the S40.

If anything, it would shift crowds from the S40 to the S46, which is a good thing considering that the S46 has more of a tendancy to be overcrowded.

LOL... And here the politicians are particularly Molinaro trying to draw folks my age to Staten Island. Meanwhile we're all moving elsewhere where there is better transit, so that certainly says something. The idea of me moving to another borough was certainly not in the cards until I went to Riverdale and now I'm just about certain that when the time comes that I'll be moving there. It is still kind of weird to even say that I'll be living in the Bronx, albeit Riverdale, but I am really fed up with the transportation on Staten Island.

Last night I thought I had actually missed the 21:30 X10 and was about to give up and walk over to the X1 stop. Almost 30 minutes later the X10 shows up. That was at a time when the X10 runs once an hour, so I was cursing up a storm thinking how in the hell did he already come and he is supposed to leave 57th & 3rd at 21:30? I got to my stop at 21:33 and it is practically impossible for him to arrive that fast unless he left the first stop early. Going to the city today the X10 was 10 minutes early at the stop. He was supposed to be at Slosson & Schmidts Lane at 12:59 and he was already on almost on the Verrazano by then. ;)

That's a shame. The MTA is trying to tighten its belt, and here's an easy way to do it that can actually improve service for the passengers: Cut down the required running time and keep the buses on time.

And that's probably the final straw causing another young professional to move to another borough. SMH. :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL... And here the politicians are particularly Molinaro trying to draw folks my age to Staten Island. Meanwhile we're all moving elsewhere where there is better transit, so that certainly says something. The idea of me moving to another borough was certainly not in the cards until I went to Riverdale and now I'm just about certain that when the time comes that I'll be moving there. It is still kind of weird to even say that I'll be living in the Bronx, albeit Riverdale, but I am really fed up with the transportation on Staten Island.

Last night I thought I had actually missed the 21:30 X10 and was about to give up and walk over to the X1 stop. Almost 30 minutes later the X10 shows up. That was at a time when the X10 runs once an hour, so I was cursing up a storm thinking how in the hell did he already come and he is supposed to leave 57th & 3rd at 21:30? I got my stop at 21:33 and it is practically impossible for him to arrive that fast unless he left the first stop early. Going to the city today the X10 was 10 minutes early at the stop. He was supposed to be at Slosson & Schmidts lane at 12:59 and he was already on almost on the Verrazano by then. ;)

I'm sayin though....

No other borough's residents makes a habit out of voicing out their frustrations regarding public transportation, worse than Staten Island.... Even worse, you (and I'm sure plenty other SI-ers) are time & route specific with the problems w/ the commutes... That's the part that gets me; that's when you KNOW it's a COMMON problem, when cats are bringing up specific runs..... This is one reason I read posts on SI live.... On the outside looking in, you do learn about how really ufcked up public transportation is out there....

So I'm not buying this notion that things are okay out there for the most part, when you have that many people either complaining about their current commutes, or have gotten so frustrated that they are now resorting to driving.... Bear in mind, I'm not even talkin about the folks that are already anti-public transportation.....

Only other nearby region that gets time & route specific w/i their complaints w/ their commutes, is out in Nassau county....

Well, they could short-turn some buses by Grandview Avenue/Forest Avenue, like they do now. Or, they could just run them to the Goethals Homes. It's only a few minutes extra.

The S46 serves South Avenue every 12 minutes. The S40 runs every 15-20 minutes the whole day, and 20 minutes is actually the level of service I think South Avenue needs (coming from somebody who uses it pretty frequently in that area), so it works out well.

And you're kidding me if you think the S40 would be emptier as a result of serving the West Shore Plaza. On average, there's about 1 person west of South Avenue (this is from experience, not stats). The S46 doesn't get a whole bunch of riders along South Avenue, but it gets a hell of a lot more usage than the S40, so there's no way they're going to reduce service on the S40.

If anything, it would shift crowds from the S40 to the S46, which is a good thing considering that the S46 has more of a tendancy to be overcrowded.

- Short turn buses for what reason? The ridership is not strong enough on Richmond terrace to warrant doing that.... and there most certainly would be more S40 runs throughout the day that would be emptier.... What you are neglecting is that, Castleton gets more far riders than Richmond terrace... comparing the S40 usage west of south av, to the S46 south of forest doesn't erase that fact.... So where in the blue hell are these influx of riders supposed to be coming from on the S40, enough to warrant keeping headways the same?

You tell me.

- and what the hell does headways have to do with there being a reason for-or-against short turning buses? But anyway, since you bring it up, I HIGHLY doubt both routes would keep the same headways if a terminal swap were to take place.... especially S40's you & QJT suggest sending down to west shore plz....

- Short turn buses for what reason? The ridership is not strong enough on Richmond terrace to warrant doing that....

- What does headways have to do with there being a reason for-or-against short turning buses? But anyway, since you bring it up, I HIGHLY doubt both routes would keep the same headways if a terminal swap were to take place.... especially S40's you & QJT suggest sending down to west shore plz....

I don't see what you're saying here. The headways are at least somewhat tailored to the ridership levels. The S40 gets fewer riders than the S48, and that's why it runs every 15-20 minutes while the S48 runs every 12 minutes.

Service along Richmond Terrace warrants 15-20 minute headways, as does service along South Avenue, so I don't see what the problem is. I never mentioned having to short-turn buses.

That's a shame. The MTA is trying to tighten its belt, and here's an easy way to do it that can actually improve service for the passengers: Cut down the required running time and keep the buses on time.

And that's probably the final straw causing another young professional to move to another borough. SMH. ;)

Yeah, that and put a damn dispatcher on the line. That would go a long way, but of course that's just asking for too much. You know something that requires commonsense, but yeah I'm almost 90% certain that I'll be making that move. Just a question of when this house sells since I am doing a relative a favor and staying there until it sells.

I'm sayin though....

No other borough's residents makes a habit out of voicing out their frustrations regarding public transportation, worse than Staten Island.... Even worse, you (and I'm sure plenty other SI-ers) are time & route specific with the problems w/ the commutes... That's the part that gets me; that's when you KNOW it's a COMMON problem, when cats are bringing up specific runs..... This is one reason I read posts on SI live.... On the outside looking in, you do learn about how really ufcked up public transportation is out there....

So I'm not buying this notion that things are okay out there for the most part, when you have that many people either complaining about their current commutes, or have gotten so frustrated that they are now resorting to driving.... Bear in mind, I'm not even talkin about the folks that are already anti-public transportation.....

Yep... Silive is a good place to go to see which routes have problems... Funny thing is just when you think your route is the worse, there's another route that is even more f*cked up. I personally think most of the worse routes came out of Castleton Depot. The X12 used to be horrendous. You would have the 09:20 and 09:40 showing up together or two X30s running together that are almost 20 minutes apart as well, and this is in the morning when these buses should just be pulling out. Since the moves have happened service has improved somewhat, but the X10 is still by far the worse in the entire system IMO. It's like playing a game of cat and mouse, which many tend to lose.

Service along Richmond Terrace warrants 15-20 minute headways, as does service along South Avenue, so I don't see what the problem is. I never mentioned having to short-turn buses.

Really now....

Well, they could short-turn some buses by Grandview Avenue/Forest Avenue, like they do now. Or, they could just run them to the Goethals Homes. It's only a few minutes extra

....and reread my edited post [post #27], regarding "what the problem is"....

No way do they keep S40 headways the same if they extend that route.... For whatever the reason, you seem to be confusing what you hope will happen, with how the MTA actually operates......

-----------------------------

I don't see what you're saying here. The headways are at least somewhat tailored to the ridership levels. The S40 gets fewer riders than the S48, and that's why it runs every 15-20 minutes while the S48 runs every 12 minutes.

You made a point to compare headways of the S40 to the S46.... and I'm telling you, the headways of a route isn't reason as to why you short turn buses.....

There is absolutely no point in short-turning S40's @ Forest/Grandview, if there isn't a strong enough riderbase along Richmond terrace....

That's what I'm saying.

Yep... Silive is a good place to go to see which routes have problems... Funny thing is just when you think your route is the worse, there's another route that is even more f*cked up. I personally think most of the worse routes came out of Castleton Depot. The X12 used to be horrendous. You would have the 09:20 and 09:40 showing up together or two X30s running together that are almost 20 minutes apart as well, and this is in the morning when these buses should just be pulling out. Since the moves have happened service has improved somewhat, but the X10 is still by far the worse in the entire system IMO. It's like playing a game of cat and mouse, which many tend to lose.

You would think express service in general would outshine local service.... Come to find out, they're two separate headaches on Staten Island... In a way it's funny when you read some ppl's posts over there, regarding having to use a secondary, or even a tertiary option when it comes to express buses.... Then you read enough of them, to the point where it's like, now this isht is just effin sad....

It's like goin to the drug store and choosing between Excedrin & Tylenol....

I check out that forum, and I'm like damn, I did not think it was THIS bad.... not to imply that people don't have problems regarding exp. bus commutes in the other boroughs, but it's the extent of the problems (and how long it's been goin on for) that gets me.....

Really now....

....and reread my edited post [post #27], regarding "what the problem is"....

No way do they keep S40 headways the same if they extend that route.... For whatever the reason, you seem to be confusing what you hope will happen, with how the MTA actually operates......

-----------------------------

You made a point to compare headways of the S40 to the S46.... and I'm telling you, the headways of a route isn't reason as to why you short turn buses.....

There is absolutely no point in short-turning S40's @ Forest/Grandview, if there isn't a strong enough riderbase along Richmond terrace....

That's what I'm saying.

But I wouldn't short-turn any S40s at Forest Avenue. I said the MTA could short-turn some S46s at Forest Avenue if they were really desperate to save money. I don't think anything should be short-turned at Forest Avenue.

I don't see how they could decrease the headways on the S40. The higher ridership will always be along Richmond Terrace, and that's what they base their headways on.

The only S40 buses that should be short-turned would be any trippers, and maybe the rush hour buses that currently terminate in Arlington can be extended to Forest Avenue.

But I wouldn't short-turn any S40s at Forest Avenue. I said the MTA could short-turn some S46s at Forest Avenue if they were really desperate to save money. I don't think anything should be short-turned at Forest Avenue.

I don't see how they could decrease the headways on the S40. The higher ridership will always be along Richmond Terrace, and that's what they base their headways on.

The only S40 buses that should be short-turned would be any trippers, and maybe the rush hour buses that currently terminate in Arlington can be extended to Forest Avenue.

Not entirely true.... That's like sayin they base their headways on the highest ridden portions of a route, which is ridiculous..... Do you know how many routes would be running on 5 min. headways if that were the case....

If you're gonna extend a route that drastically, you better be sure the ridership is booming enough to justify it.... sending every S40 down to west shore plz. would be an absolute waste of resources....

I'm still waiting for you to tell me where this ridership is supposed to be coming from...... Just because you move S46's off that portion of south doesn't mean you will get the same amt. of people that will board S40's if it were to run down that portion of south av....

....and I have no reason to believe there will be any more (riders).... The fact that from end to end, sending S40's down there would bring riders to the ferry a few mins quicker than what the current S46 does, isn't enough of a reason to extend that route....

^^ it's the same argument some folks are bringing up w/ this upcoming B44 SBS... the masses don't care if from sheepshead bay to WBP, the runtime will be 'x' mins quicker.... it's an empty point....

For the sake of discussion; if they were to actually extend the sucker, they would end up increasing headways b/c it would end up being a longer route, carrying similar amt's of riders that the current S40 does....

Not entirely true.... That's like sayin they base their headways on the highest ridden portions of a route, which is ridiculous..... Do you know how many routes would be running on 5 min. headways if that were the case....

If you're gonna extend a route that drastically, you better be sure the ridership is booming enough to justify it.... sending every S40 down to west shore plz. would be an absolute waste of resources....

I'm still waiting for you to tell me where this ridership is supposed to be coming from...... Just because you move S46's off that portion of south doesn't mean you will get the same amt. of people that will board S40's if it were to run down that portion of south av....

....and I have no reason to believe there will be any more (riders).... The fact that from end to end, sending S40's down there would bring riders to the ferry a few mins quicker than what the current S46 does, isn't enough of a reason to extend that route....

^^ it's the same argument some folks are bringing up w/ this upcoming B44 SBS... the masses don't care if from sheepshead bay to WBP, the runtime will be 'x' mins quicker.... it's an empty point....

For the sake of discussion; if they were to actually extend the sucker, they would end up increasing headways b/c it would end up being a longer route, carrying similar amt's of riders that the current S40 does....

Well, the S46 is an example of such a route. There aren't a whole lot of people south of Forest Avenue, yet it still gets the 12 minute headways that it does in St. George, where it's crowded. (Hell, that applies to most routes out of St. George)

And the S40 and S46 pretty much serve the same neighborhoods, which leads me to believe that ridership will remain fairly constant. Plus, there are people who get on in Mariners' Harbor where it doesn't matter which bus is going to the WSP. You do see a decent crowd getting on at Forest Avenue. Plus, even if the S40 is less convenient for a lot of the riders, it would become more convenient for people in Arlington, so some of (any) ridership that would be lost would be made up that way.

And I don't see what you're saying with the last comment. If they would do it in the interest of cost-neutrality, then this proposal is already cost-neutral (in fact, it saves them money). The S40 is becoming longer, but the S46 is becoming shorter.

And lets say that ridership does decrease because of the S40 serving South Avenue. The MTA would be no worse off than the current situation. Right now, they're running S46s every 12 minutes down South Avenue, when the ridership really warrants 20 minute service. If the ridership decreases to warrant 30 minute service (and the S40 is providing 20 minute service), they're still no worse off than they are now.

I'm sayin though....

Only other nearby region that gets time & route specific w/i their complaints w/ their commutes, is out in Nassau county....

- Short turn buses for what reason? The ridership is not strong enough on Richmond terrace to warrant doing that.... and there most certainly would be more S40 runs throughout the day that would be emptier.... What you are neglecting is that, Castleton gets more far riders than Richmond terrace... comparing the S40 usage west of south av, to the S46 south of forest doesn't erase that fact.... So where in the blue hell are these influx of riders supposed to be coming from on the S40, enough to warrant keeping headways the same?

You tell me.

- and what the hell does headways have to do with there being a reason for-or-against short turning buses? But anyway, since you bring it up, I HIGHLY doubt both routes would keep the same headways if a terminal swap were to take place.... especially S40's you & QJT suggest sending down to west shore plz....

Plus nassau service is weak in the areas where most ppl in LI reside!!!!!!!

I thought nassau ppl drive mostly they complain about bus service in nassau like SI ppl I thought ppl just quit using buses there. I still don't understand local buses in SI other than the ones I talked about. What would you do to make SI transit NOT SUCK???

OHH the terminal swap actually creates a transfer situation between S46 and S40 where they will have to be timed. Otherwise it's not so serious S46 is slow and needs more speed south ave shouldn't be tied to a slow rte but S40 is so called unreliable how would you go about fixing that. I said my long range now let's here ur short range plan

QJT, not the time (not the thread) for that.... I'll answer that in the other SI thread when I get around to it... if I get around to it....

And I don't see what you're saying with the last comment. If they would do it in the interest of cost-neutrality, then this proposal is already cost-neutral (in fact, it saves them money). The S40 is becoming longer, but the S46 is becoming shorter.

And lets say that ridership does decrease because of the S40 serving South Avenue. The MTA would be no worse off than the current situation. Right now, they're running S46s every 12 minutes down South Avenue, when the ridership really warrants 20 minute service. If the ridership decreases to warrant 30 minute service (and the S40 is providing 20 minute service), they're still no worse off than they are now.

and?

This aint about the MTA being worse off, or cost neutrality, or none of that.... You sat up there and made a post to me, tellin me how QJT had "a point" about this terminal swap of the two routes in question..... all I said was leave those routes alone, and after your post, I elaborated on why those routes should be left alone; it'd be screwing up service for no foreseeable reason....

There was no point, and I have yet to read anything that you've posted in this thread that made it any more credible..... Before this last post of yours, your argument was that it would shave a couple mins off those segment of riders' commutes.... They're not gonna swap terminals on 2 routes just for that reason alone.... you can be, or act oblivious to that all you want.....

Now you wanna bring up the money aspect.... If they felt such a move would have saved money without hurting too many passengers, they'd have done it already.... Just look around & see how many other routes across the 5 boroughs got some sort of cut, for the sake of saving money.... Unreal....

You're only continuing on w/ this garbage b/c you feel this need (as of late, ever since that thread in the feedback forum) to pander to QJT.... You did the same crap in that other SI thread that JW72093 started.... Even when you were bringing up stats all over the place, that was less annoying than how you're going about things now......

swapping terminals.... for what.... leave well enough alone...

and?

This aint about the MTA being worse off, or cost neutrality, or none of that.... You sat up there and made a post to me, tellin me how QJT had "a point" about this terminal swap of the two routes in question..... all I said was leave those routes alone, and after your post, I elaborated on why those routes should be left alone; it'd be screwing up service for no foreseeable reason....

There was no point, and I have yet to read anything that you've posted in this thread that makes his point any more credible..... Before this last post of yours, your only argument is that it would shave a couple mins off those segment of riders' commutes.... They're not gonna swap terminals on 2 routes just for that reason alone.... you can be, or act oblivious to that all you want.....

Now you wanna bring up the money aspect.... If they felt such a move would have saved money without hurting too many passengers, they'd have done it already.... Just look around & see how many other routes across the 5 boroughs got some sort of cut, for the sake of saving money.....

You're only continuing on w/ this garbage b/c you feel this need (as of late, ever since that thread in the feedback forum) to pander to QJT.... You did the same crap in that other SI thread that JW72093 started.... Even when you were bringing up stats all over the place, that was less annoying than how you're going about things now......

Leave well enough alone...

Aside from that he is convinced that the S46 gets too much service down South Avenue based on the few trips he sees here and there. I mean the (MTA) is not going to have empty buses rolling down the street on a local line like that just because. Even if they did, what exactly is the problem with Staten Island getting a few extra crumbs? Overall, in terms of reliability we have some of the sh*ttest service in the city. Case in point was tonight's commute home. So I mentioned that my bus was 10 minutes early today going to the city and yesterday it was also early going to the city, albeit just a few minutes. Last night I mentioned it being 20 minutes late and tonight wasn't much different (15 minutes late) and this time I called myself getting an earlier X10 (the 20:30).

There was absolutely no traffic to speak of so I have no idea why he was so late. Anyway the bus was packed. It was SRO once we reached the last stop and some folks actually didn't even bother to board. They went running to see if they could catch the ferry since the next bus wasn't due for another hour. I don't blame them because if they would've tried to get on they may have not been enough room for them.

They never EVER add any sort of supplemental service on days like this and not everyone had the day off. I saw plenty of folks going to work when I got on the so called 12:59.

QJT, not the time (not the thread) for that.... I'll answer that in the other SI thread when I get around to it... if I get around to it....

and?

There was no point, and I have yet to read anything that you've posted in this thread that made it any more credible..... Before this last post of yours, your argument was that it would shave a couple mins off those segment of riders' commutes.... They're not gonna swap terminals on 2 routes just for that reason alone.... you can be, or act oblivious to that all you want.....

Now you wanna bring up the money aspect.... If they felt such a move would have saved money without hurting too many passengers, they'd have done it already.... Just look around & see how many other routes across the 5 boroughs got some sort of cut, for the sake of saving money.... Unreal....

err sorry if I got the kid started that was just a random idea not a proposal or anything. I had no intention of pandering the S46 S40 terminal swap just a response to the S46's slowness thats it. I guess I turn my back and this long drawn out argument begins

err sorry if I got the kid started that was just a random idea not a proposal or anything. I had no intention of pandering the S46 S40 terminal swap just a response to the S46's slowness thats it. I guess I turn my back and this long drawn out argument begins

LMAO... Yeah, you've got something that's short of a knack for that don't ya... :)

There's no reason to apologize.....

Aside from that he is convinced that the S46 gets too much service down South Avenue based on the few trips he sees here and there. I mean the (MTA) is not going to have empty buses rolling down the street on a local line like that just because. Even if they did, what exactly is the problem with Staten Island getting a few extra crumbs? Overall, in terms of reliability we have some of the sh*ttest service in the city.

smh @ the first sentence.....

how is anyone gonna honestly say, or feel there's too much service down a certain corridor, when the bus route in its totality that happens to serve that corridor, actually gets a high enough amt. of riders (compared to other routes in the borough, that is).... then conveys to me that a lesser used route should pan down that same corridor in question, in some kind of attempt to speed up people's trips towards the opposite end of the route, while possibly saving money.... I don't particularly care for these whole robbing peter to pay paul antics.....

If the lesser used route happens to be the quicker route, so be it.... making it longer aint goin make it any quicker.... Hell, I'd rather one route, carry.... and the other, be the lightning rod (lol) from end to end.... as opposed to lengthening the lightning rod, making it less effective.... urbanized routes do not become more reliable when they are lengthened....

Outside of locale obviously, what is the difference b/w shortening a route somewhere else, full time.... and having some runs along a longer route, short turn somewhere.....

as far as too much service.....

Man, the last thing we need is to give these tyrants a reason to trim service that much more....

Last night I thought I had actually missed the 21:30 X10 and was about to give up and walk over to the X1 stop. Almost 30 minutes later the X10 shows up. That was at a time when the X10 runs once an hour, so I was cursing up a storm thinking how in the hell did he already come and he is supposed to leave 57th & 3rd at 21:30? I got to my stop at 21:33 and it is practically impossible for him to arrive that fast unless he left the first stop early. Going to the city today the X10 was 10 minutes early at the stop. He was supposed to be at Slosson & Schmidts Lane at 12:59 and he was already on almost on the Verrazano by then. :)

The X10 schedule is all wrong most of the day. I caught an X10 to the city the other day that was 15 minutes early at only Manor Rd. Why do they have so much time built into that schedule?

IMO, there's nothing that can or should be done to the S46 except running the locals more spaced apart and limiteds every 30. The S40 running to West Shore Plaza would only make it much worse than it already is at times. At least the S46 runs often and shows up on time even if it is crowded and slow. At the peak of the Teleport being open and fully-used, the S46 would show up every 8-10 minutes pretty much all day (back when they used mostly TMCs & the 99 O5s were still new). Also checkmate, the S46 only seems to you like it warrants 20 minute service because it's the summer and you live closer towards the end of the route! Wait until school starts and everyone is back to work next week and you'll be saying otherwise.

The X10 schedule is all wrong most of the day. I caught an X10 to the city the other day that was 15 minutes early at only Manor Rd. Why do they have so much time built into that schedule?

IMO, there's nothing that can or should be done to the S46 except running the locals more spaced apart and limiteds every 30. The S40 running to West Shore Plaza would only make it much worse than it already is at times. At least the S46 runs often and shows up on time even if it is crowded and slow. At the peak of the Teleport being open and fully-used, the S46 would show up every 8-10 minutes pretty much all day (back when they used mostly TMCs & the 99 O5s were still new). Also checkmate, the S46 only seems to you like it warrants 20 minute service because it's the summer and you live closer towards the end of the route! Wait until school starts and everyone is back to work next week and you'll be saying otherwise.

I agree... There are also school kids that take the bus along that part of South Ave over by Goethals Rd North.

As for the X10, it beats the hell out of me. Everyone complains about how terrible the line is and I myself have written in on several occasions. The complaint works for a little while and then they go right back to running extremely hot or extremely late. It's only natural that if a bus is showing up 10 - 15 minutes early that the next guy is going to get sacked. The real problem boils down to a lack of supervision and also that they assume that the X10 will need the same amount of time to get from point A to point B all day when that is only true usually during parts of the morning coming to Manhattan and parts of the day going back to Staten Island.

Despite all of this, ridership continues to grow on the line, which shows that folks don't have too many alternatives. The X17 helps if you are below the SIE on Richmond, but if you're not and you're inland enough, your only option is the X10, or the slow ferry ride to the local bus.

I think I'm going to speak about this at the next hearing because this needs to be made public about why this line has so much reliability issues, even as service is steadily being increased.

and?

I have no idea why they didn't consider it during the last round of reductions. They'd rather eliminate all service from an area (like on the Q79) than make something that inconveniences some riders (I'd be willing to say that the S46 south of Forest Avenue doesn't get much more than the 650 riders the Q79 did, and they would still have service)

Aside from that he is convinced that the S46 gets too much service down South Avenue based on the few trips he sees here and there. I mean the (MTA) is not going to have empty buses rolling down the street on a local line like that just because. Even if they did, what exactly is the problem with Staten Island getting a few extra crumbs? Overall, in terms of reliability we have some of the sh*ttest service in the city. Case in point was tonight's commute home. So I mentioned that my bus was 10 minutes early today going to the city and yesterday it was also early going to the city, albeit just a few minutes. Last night I mentioned it being 20 minutes late and tonight wasn't much different (15 minutes late) and this time I called myself getting an earlier X10 (the 20:30).

There was absolutely no traffic to speak of so I have no idea why he was so late. Anyway the bus was packed. It was SRO once we reached the last stop and some folks actually didn't even bother to board. They went running to see if they could catch the ferry since the next bus wasn't due for another hour. I don't blame them because if they would've tried to get on they may have not been enough room for them.

They never EVER add any sort of supplemental service on days like this and not everyone had the day off. I saw plenty of folks going to work when I got on the so called 12:59.

No, I'm not doing it based on "a few trips here and there". That's like saying my opinion on Richmond Avenue's excess service is based on "a few trips here and there". I use both services often enough to know that there is a bunch of excess service. Are the buses totally empty? No, but like I said, on average, there are about 10-15 riders south of Forest Avenue, and by the time you get under the SIE, you have 10 or fewer riders. This is based on observations at various times of the day.

And I don't see why those people would've tried to catch the next ferry. Sure, they get a seat, but it'll take longer and they'll probably have to stand at the other end, but whatever, it's their decision.

Let's get something clear: You never got me started on anything. Not with the S98 extension and not with the S40/S46 swap. I have had all of these ideas for a while, and have actually mentioned them before, but this is one of the few times when we're getting into a deep discussion regarding it.

smh @ the first sentence.....

how is anyone gonna honestly say, or feel there's too much service down a certain corridor, when the bus route in its totality that happens to serve that corridor, actually gets a high enough amt. of riders (compared to other routes in the borough, that is).... then conveys to me that a lesser used route should pan down that same corridor in question, in some kind of attempt to speed up people's trips towards the opposite end of the route, while possibly saving money.... I don't particularly care for these whole robbing peter to pay paul antics.....

If the lesser used route happens to be the quicker route, so be it.... making it longer aint goin make it any quicker.... Hell, I'd rather one route, carry.... and the other, be the lightning rod (lol) from end to end.... as opposed to lengthening the lightning rod, making it less effective.... urbanized routes do not become more reliable when they are lengthened....

Outside of locale obviously, what is the difference b/w shortening a route somewhere else, full time.... and having some runs along a longer route, short turn somewhere.....

as far as too much service.....

Man, the last thing we need is to give these tyrants a reason to trim service that much more....

OK, then maybe I'll include it as some other proposal that costs money, so the whole thing ends up being cost-neutral, like my S93 proposal (to sum it up, it's the one on my signature)

Check the schedule again. Service has not been increased. It still has the 12 minute headways it's had for the past year. The only difference is that some buses start at the Teleport instead of the West Shore Plaza off-peak.

And I'm not saying the S46 overall doesn't warrant its low headways (compared to other SI routes anyway). I'm saying that this particular portion doesn't warrant them. Yeah, I live towards the end of the line, but that's the part of the route we're discussing. In case you don't know, I often take it home from school, so I know how ridership fluctuates in that regard and I stand by my argument.

I have no idea why they didn't consider it during the last round of reductions. They'd rather eliminate all service from an area (like on the Q79) than make something that inconveniences some riders (I'd be willing to say that the S46 south of Forest Avenue doesn't get much more than the 650 riders the Q79 did, and they would still have service)

No, I'm not doing it based on "a few trips here and there". That's like saying my opinion on Richmond Avenue's excess service is based on "a few trips here and there". I use both services often enough to know that there is a bunch of excess service. Are the buses totally empty? No, but like I said, on average, there are about 10-15 riders south of Forest Avenue, and by the time you get under the SIE, you have 10 or fewer riders. This is based on observations at various times of the day.

And I don't see why those people would've tried to catch the next ferry. Sure, they get a seat, but it'll take longer and they'll probably have to stand at the other end, but whatever, it's their decision.

I don't see what the big deal is quite frankly and how are you so sure that these people are all going to the ferry anyway? I mean there is no other bus service along South Avenue besides the S46, so what do you want these people to do, walk because there's only 10 of them are so? I mean there are plenty of routes that don't have tons of people riding but that doesn't mean that the route should be cut back. You of all people should know how much ridership varies on Staten Island routes.

You really do sound quite hypocritical at times. On one hand you claim that there is a ton of potential ridership for certain lines to be created and then on the other hand you complain that there is too much service on some lines. My question is how do you expect to garner ridership if you constantly look to cut service??

I don't see what the big deal is quite frankly and how are you so sure that these people are all going to the ferry anyway? I mean there is no other bus service along South Avenue besides the S46, so what do you want these people to do, walk because there's only 10 of them are so? I mean there are plenty of routes that don't have tons of people riding but that doesn't mean that the route should be cut back. You of all people should know how much ridership varies on Staten Island routes.

You really do sound quite hypocritical at times. On one hand you claim that there is a ton of potential ridership for certain lines to be created and then on the other hand you complain that there is too much service on some lines. My question is how do you expect to garner ridership if you constantly look to cut service??

Well, they're not going to St. George, but maybe if the service were faster, they would use it rather than having to walk up to the S40. You do see a decent number of people getting off there. A lot of them start walking west along Forest Avenue (which shows you that they prefer the faster S40 over the slower S48), but you do see some of them who walk south.

I mean I myself don't use it to get to St. George: If I'm coming from home, I take the S44 or S62, and if I'm coming from a friend's home, I'll walk up to the S40. When I use the S46, I'm usually coming from no further east than Port Richmond, or West Brighton at most.

And for a lot of the lines, I want them for coverage purposes, and to "complete the network". Technically yes, they would be getting "excess service", but what can you do? It's a choice between providing coverage and not providing it.

Well, they're not going to St. George, but maybe if the service were faster, they would use it rather than having to walk up to the S40. You do see a decent number of people getting off there. A lot of them start walking west along Forest Avenue (which shows you that they prefer the faster S40 over the slower S48), but you do see some of them who walk south.

I mean I myself don't use it to get to St. George: If I'm coming from home, I take the S44 or S62, and if I'm coming from a friend's home, I'll walk up to the S40. When I use the S46, I'm usually coming from no further east than Port Richmond, or West Brighton at most.

And for a lot of the lines, I want them for coverage purposes, and to "complete the network". Technically yes, they would be getting "excess service", but what can you do? It's a choice between providing coverage and not providing it.

Well that's the thing... If they were to cut back, it's not like they're going to take the savings and improve service elsewhere, so that's why I don't see why you're so adamant about the cut back.

Well that's the thing... If they were to cut back, it's not like they're going to take the savings and improve service elsewhere, so that's why I don't see why you're so adamant about the cut back.

Well, I would like it if it would help postpone a fare hike, but that probably wouldn't happen either.

And a certain someone hasn't gotten back to me yet, regarding my proposal. :mad: Maybe if I could get in contact with her, I could throw the S40/S46 idea to see if it helps my idea become cost-neutral.

Archived