S46/96 service to Teleport Business Park

LRG

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or worse, they know because they're being left behind.

LOL... I have yet to see the last bus be so crowded that folks can't get on BUT I have seen X10 so crowded that they can't stop and man you talk about people being pissed!! LMAO This one Saturday night the X10s were so f*cked up that basically I think maybe 2 X10s hadn't come and finally one came and I got on in Midtown. By the time we got down so far there was basically no more room left so he was passing the stops but slowly so that they could see that the bus was too crowded to let anyone on. However, those people didn't care. They saw a bus and came running to it as he was driving by the last stop slowly. He continued and didn't stop and some people started running after the bus banging on the sides for him to stop!! LMAO

I never saw such desperate people and they were pissed too. I mean it was maybe 23:00 or so and there were only two more buses due and I could imagine that they were exhausted after having waited well over an hour in some cases for an X10 when two of them were due.

People were saying "Well he could've stopped and said something!!" and I was thinking well, no he couldn't have because if he would've done that more people would've tried to pack on even though there was no where else to go, creating an even more dangerous situation on the expressway. People are really something. I mean why would you wait over an hour when you can literally just walk to the ferry and take car service home?

The only way I would wait is if I had driven to the express bus and my car was parked somewhere, but even then you can still just hop on the ferry and take car service from there. It would cost a bit, that would be better than waiting over an hour for an X10. ;)

LOL... I have yet to see the last bus be so crowded that folks can't get on BUT I have seen X10 so crowded that they can't stop and man you talk about people being pissed!! LMAO This one Saturday night the X10s were so f*cked up that basically I think maybe 2 X10s hadn't come and finally one came and I got on in Midtown. By the time we got down so far there was basically no more room left so he was passing the stops but slowly so that they could see that the bus was too crowded to let anyone on. However, those people didn't care. They saw a bus and came running to it as he was driving by the last stop slowly. He continued and didn't stop and some people started running after the bus banging on the sides for him to stop!! LMAO

I never saw such desperate people and they were pissed too. I mean it was maybe 23:00 or so and there were only two more buses due and I could imagine that they were exhausted after having waited well over an hour in some cases for an X10 when two of them were due.

People were saying "Well he could've stopped and said something!!" and I was thinking well, no he couldn't have because if he would've done that more people would've tried to pack on even though there was no where else to go, creating an even more dangerous situation on the expressway. People are really something. I mean why would you wait over an hour when you can literally just walk to the ferry and take car service home?

The only way I would wait is if I had driven to the express bus and my car was parked somewhere, but even then you can still just hop on the ferry and take car service from there. It would cost a bit, that would be better than waiting over an hour for an X10. ;)

Well, you know how I feel about crowding on express bus. A bus isn't crushloaded until it's filled to the white line, and there's nothing you can say to change my opinion.

And yeah, if he had opened the door, I definitely would've gotten on (and I would've probably crammed myself in to make more room. Shows you I got the local bus mentality. ;)) Hell, even if he kept the door, closed, I would've tried to pry it open (I actually did that on the S46 once, and after that, the driver knew not to mess with me)

And just because they're express bus riders doesn't mean they can't be frugal. Taking the ferry to car service might save time, but it still costs more (especially if they have a weekly pass and would've gotten on for free). I mean, they could take the ferry to a local bus, but they were probably hoping that the next bus would have room.

Think about it: If you have one crowded bus, chances are the next one will be less crowded.

Well, you know how I feel about crowding on express bus. A bus isn't crushloaded until it's filled to the white line, and there's nothing you can say to change my opinion.

And yeah, if he had opened the door, I definitely would've gotten on (and I would've probably crammed myself in to make more room. Shows you I got the local bus mentality. ;)) Hell, even if he kept the door, closed, I would've tried to pry it open (I actually did that on the S46 once, and after that, the driver knew not to mess with me)

And just because they're express bus riders doesn't mean they can't be frugal. Taking the ferry to car service might save time, but it still costs more (especially if they have a weekly pass and would've gotten on for free). I mean, they could take the ferry to a local bus, but they were probably hoping that the next bus would have room.

Think about it: If you have one crowded bus, chances are the next one will be less crowded.

Yeah, but it was already too crowded and it is not worth risking an accident with people being hurt or killed to have a few geniuses squeeze onto an already overcrowded express bus especially with them having to change lanes and such on the expressway. I was one of those folks standing right by the white line with barely anything to hold on to and almost went flying throught the friggin' windshield because the B/O had to keep stopping short and it is hard to hold on to those overhead thingys because they're slippery and stand in that little narrow aisle. I did that many years ago on the X10 (maybe 2006) and haven't taken an SRO express bus ever since. Screw that. I'll wait for the next one.

I was one of those folks standing right by the white line with barely anything to hold on to and almost went flying throught the friggin' windshield because the B/O had to keep stopping short and it is hard to hold on to those overhead thingys because they're slippery and stand in that little narrow aisle.

Lack of "wiggleroom" or anything I can get a good enough grip of to hold onto, is why I won't stand on an exp. bus..... and I aint standing by the white line of any bus, exp. or local.... I see ppl. everyday that do that on the B35, and as much as that bus stops & starts, I'm like if you ppl. wanna risk injury, go right the hell ahead....

A packed exp. bus to me, is where there are no seats available, and you start to see that first standee, onward.... a packed local to me, is where ppl. are contorting their bodies every which way, just to get past standees that are already on the things - just to situate themselves onto the bus..... The only packed mode of transportation I'll put up w/, is a boat or a subway/RR.....

Lack of "wiggleroom" or anything I can get a good enough grip of to hold onto, is why I won't stand on an exp. bus..... and I aint standing by the white line of any bus, exp. or local.... I see ppl. everyday that do that on the B35, and as much as that bus stops & starts, I'm like if you ppl. wanna risk injury, go right the hell ahead....

A packed exp. bus to me, is where there are no seats available, and you start to see that first standee, onward.... a packed local to me, is where ppl. are contorting their bodies every which way, just to get past standees that are already on the things - just to situate themselves onto the bus..... The only packed mode of transportation I'll put up w/, is a boat or a subway/RR.....

Yeah that one time I did it was at the last stop on the X10 and I was thinking that I didn't want to wait for the next one. At that time I used to work down on 18th & 5th, so I would walk over to Union Square thinking I could catch an earlier X10 down there and get home even quicker, the "bright" 24 year old that I was at the time. Couldn't pay me to do that now, especially since the train ride only saves me maybe 10 minutes at the most, so all of that rushing I was doing and standing on an SRO express bus to save a few minutes.

Yeah, but it was already too crowded and it is not worth risking an accident with people being hurt or killed to have a few geniuses squeeze onto an already overcrowded express bus especially with them having to change lanes and such on the expressway. I was one of those folks standing right by the white line with barely anything to hold on to and almost went flying throught the friggin' windshield because the B/O had to keep stopping short and it is hard to hold on to those overhead thingys because they're slippery and stand in that little narrow aisle. I did that many years ago on the X10 (maybe 2006) and haven't taken an SRO express bus ever since. Screw that. I'll wait for the next one.

I know. That's why I'm saying he did the right thing by not stopping. I even admitted I would've forced my way on even if he hadn't opened the doors (and I'm being serious. No way am I waiting 30 minutes for another bus)

I generally manage to get ahold of those handles on the seats, rather than those overhead racks.

And well, I have the advantage of youth, so standing in the front isn't too bad. I just grab onto the pole tight and I'm good to go.

Originally, when I went to school, I would stand in the stairwell of the S46, but then I eventually got aggresive and began squeezing past the passengers to get to the back.

As far as packed expresses go, I guess I'm so used to packed locals that I just use that as my standard for assessing crowding.

Yeah that one time I did it was at the last stop on the X10 and I was thinking that I didn't want to wait for the next one. At that time I used to work down on 18th & 5th, so I would walk over to Union Square thinking I could catch an earlier X10 down there and get home even quicker, the "bright" 24 year old that I was at the time. Couldn't pay me to do that now, especially since the train ride only saves me maybe 10 minutes at the most, so all of that rushing I was doing and standing on an SRO express bus to save a few minutes.

So wait. The time when the bus kept on crawling past the stops, were you standing or sitting?

I generally manage to get ahold of those handles on the seats, rather than those overhead racks.

And well, I have the advantage of youth, so standing in the front isn't too bad. I just grab onto the pole tight and I'm good to go.

Originally, when I went to school, I would stand in the stairwell of the S46, but then I eventually got aggresive and began squeezing past the passengers to get to the back.

As far as packed expresses go, I guess I'm so used to packed locals that I just use that as my standard for assessing crowding.

Outside of legroom, that's another reason why I don't sit towards the middle, and I don't sit on the "aisle" seats.... I've seen a few squabbles over standing passengers holding those handles, and the person sitting in that seat w/ the handle on it.... Another negative, seats have been broken (well, to the point where the recliner button doesn't "lock" the seat in place, I mean) b/c of people holding onto those handles....

There's really no quick fix/band-aid solution to it.... IMO, a rule should be put in place where NO standees are allowed on MCI's... but of course, that would force the MTA's hand in putting more buses on the road during peak hrs.....

When I went to high school & I had those passes (then eventually, the student metro's), I would still take dollar cabs (when they were actually, a dollar !) to the then D train @ Church av..... Long as I been living here, I don't remember the last time I took a B35 in the AM towards the IRT or the brighton....

As far as the whole "what's considered packed" thing, no problem.... it's all moot... I mean, consider what johnny boy deems as being packed (there could still be seats available, but if he sees one person standing, that bus is PACKED).... I know a guy that lives in Mastic Beach (suffolk), and he's on that exact same tip..... But from my vantage point living around the B35, I'm like man, you gotta be kiddin me... Give me a bus with one person standing on it, I consider that shit empty !

It all depends on what you're used to seeing, like you said...

Outside of legroom, that's another reason why I don't sit towards the middle, and I don't sit on the "aisle" seats.... I've seen a few squabbles over standing passengers holding those handles, and the person sitting in that seat w/ the handle on it.... Another negative, seats have been broken (well, to the point where the recliner button doesn't "lock" the seat in place, I mean) b/c of people holding onto those handles....

There's really no quick fix/band-aid solution to it.... IMO, a rule should be put in place where NO standees are allowed on MCI's... but of course, that would force the MTA's hand in putting more buses on the road during peak hrs.....

Exactly, and that's why I don't use those handle seats. I think that's exactly how this older black lady got hurt on the X10. She was trying to prepare to get off and called herself holding on to one of those handles and the bus stopped short there on Richmond Avenue and threw her forward. Those seats are not stable enough to hold on to just the handles themselves, because they may be broken from @ssholes pushing the seats up without pressing the button first. :mad: See that sh*t all the time on the X10.

I know. That's why I'm saying he did the right thing by not stopping. I even admitted I would've forced my way on even if he hadn't opened the doors (and I'm being serious. No way am I waiting 30 minutes for another bus)

lol... I know you are...

Yeah well the aisles are too narrow on the express buses to push your way past anywhere. Not only that, but we get extremely annoyed with folks banging into us. That's another reason we use the express bus for comfort, so if I had someone banging into me, you better believe there is going to be a problem, accidental or not.

These two drunken Mexican guys got on an X10 and had to stand, so I'm sitting in an aisle seat and one of them is just banging into me like I don't even exist. I knew he was drunk, but I didn't give a f*ck, so from my seat I started shoving his @ss repeatedly every time he would come near me, as he should've been on the other side of the aisle where he was holding on, and his friend realized that I was shoving him and he told him something in Spanish to the effect of him needing to mind where he was standing because had he kept on banging into me I would've knocked him into next week. :mad: I'm sure the guy saw the look on my face because I was becoming quite heated and there were a few other folks looking as well when I was doing this and I'm sure they could see that I becoming quite pissed off.

There was another incident on the X10 some years ago where I was also sitting in an aisle seat. I generally prefer the aisle when the bus is REALLY crowded because that usually means that my leg room is next to nothing, so unless I have ample leg room, I will usually get up from my inside seat and let the person wanting to sit next to me take the inside seat so that I can put my legs in the aisle. Anyway, I did that and this big black lady gets on with her son (probably around my age) at the last stop shortly after this Latino guy got on and requested to sit next to me. Saturday nights are usually when this overcrowding BS happens, although it isn't often that I have folks sitting next to me in general.

So I'm sitting there and then suddenly I feel someone on the back of my chair and I turn around and she is damn there laying on my chair with her overweight @ss. Before I knew it I told her you're going to have to hold on to something else, because you're not going to sit here and constantly bang into my chair. Then she calls herself getting tough and goes in a sarcastic tone, "Oh you think I'm scared of you?" I told her "I really could care less, but I do know that you're not going to continue to hit the back of my chair." She goes "Well there is no room and the bus is crowded." I told her "Well then you should've waited for the next bus. There's an overhead area for you to hold onto" and basically implied that she needed to use that sh*t. Her son didn't say a word because quite frankly had he gotten involved we would've been rumbling on that bus. If at any point the bus gets to the point of being SRO and I've got to sit in an aisle seat, then I'm usually already irritated because that means that I probably had to wait for a while for a bus to begin with because a bus was either MIA or extremely late, thus causing IMO unnecessary overcrowding. :mad:

I do not tolerate any body invading my private space and the thing with her is she thought I wasn't going to say anything because she's this big overweight tough black lady, so she figured Oh, let me bully my way around on here and bang into his chair and make his ride miserable since I have to stand, as if I'm not entitled to sit after a long day. I wasn't having any of it. I don't give a f*ck if folks have to sit on the roof of the bus, I'm not having that sh*t. Had she done it and excused herself it wouldn't have been a problem, but she was doing that sh*t on purpose with an attitude as if I'm supposed to fear her or something. Yeah, right.

So wait. The time when the bus kept on crawling past the stops, were you standing or sitting?

Of course I was sitting. No way in hell I'm standing on an express bus. I told you, I did that ONE time many years ago on an X10 and I'll never do that again. That damn bus stopped short on the Gowanus and I almost went flying through the windshield. Luckily I was able to grab onto something to help me not lose my grip.

As far as the whole "what's considered packed" thing, no problem.... it's all moot... I mean, consider what johnny boy deems as being packed (there could still be seats available, but if he sees one person standing, that bus is PACKED).... I know a guy that lives in Mastic Beach (suffolk), and he's on that exact same tip..... But from my vantage point living around the B35, I'm like man, you gotta be kiddin me... Give me a bus with one person standing on it, I consider that shit empty !

It all depends on what you're used to seeing, like you said...

Well, what they could do is put the suburban articulated buses on the routes that are prone to overcrowding. I guess the other alternative would be to somehow attach handlebars to the overhead racks (instead of having a wire stopping the stuff from falling down, they could have it like on airplanes where it's completely closed in, and then somehow attach handlebars there)

And yeah, it's all based on what you're used to and what you're comfortable with (for example, you live near the B35, but you're not willing to pack on when the bus is full, so your standards are a bit lower than mine)

1) Exactly, and that's why I don't use those handle seats. I think that's exactly how this older black lady got hurt on the X10. She was trying to prepare to get off and called herself holding on to one of those handles and the bus stopped short there on Richmond Avenue and threw her forward. Those seats are not stable enough to hold on to just the handles themselves, because they may be broken from @ssholes pushing the seats up without pressing the button first. :mad: See that sh*t all the time on the X10.

2) lol ... I know you are...

3) Yeah well the aisles are too narrow on the express buses to push your way past anywhere. Not only that, but we get extremely annoyed with folks banging into us. That's another reason we use the express bus for comfort, so if I had someone banging into me, you better believe there is going to be a problem, accidental or not.

1) Well, I just use the seat as is. The only thing I'm touching is the armrest and that's it. Whether the seat is reclined or not makes no difference to me.

2) I talked to a few of my friends about the S96 schedule (about how there's going to more more bunching). I said "Prepare yourselves for some entertainment before you get to class" B)

3) Well then, all I can say is that I hope we never meet on a crowded express bus. I'm going as far back as I can, and if nobody likes it, too bad. I'm sure as hell not waiting for the next one (unless I see them bunched together). I'll be considerate as I'm doing it, but I'll still do it.

2) I talked to a few of my friends about the S96 schedule (about how there's going to more more bunching). I said "Prepare yourselves for some entertainment before you get to class" B)

And why is that??? :confused:

3) Well then, all I can say is that I hope we never meet on a crowded express bus. I'm going as far back as I can, and if nobody likes it, too bad. I'm sure as hell not waiting for the next one (unless I see them bunched together). I'll be considerate as I'm doing it, but I'll still do it.

LOL... You really think folks on the express bus are just going to let you push by when there is nowhere to go? That may fly on the local bus, but it doesn't work that way on the express bus, and believe me, I have seen folks almost get into fist fight fights as we were heading over the Verrazano bridge for that very reason... There are just space rules that most folks follow on the express bus and if they aren't followed, well... Tsk tsk tsk... LOL

I'm sort of curious as to how you're going to push by in that narrow @ss aisle?? :confused:

1)And why is that??? :confused:

2) LOL... You really think folks on the express bus are just going to let you push by when there is nowhere to go? That may fly on the local bus, but it doesn't work that way on the express bus, and believe me, I have seen folks almost get into fist fight fights as we were heading over the Verrazano bridge for that very reason... There are just space rules that most folks follow on the express bus and if they aren't followed, well... Tsk tsk tsk... LOL

I'm sort of curious as to how you're going to push by in that narrow @ss aisle?? :confused:

1) Look at the schedule. The S96s that serve the Teleport (they all serve the West Shore Plaza) are scheduled to arrive 2 minutes before the S46, and then there's some 10+ minute gaps in service. Bunching is already a problem in the morning (which is why nobody in their right mind would take the S46 over the S40. Then again, there are probably a lot of nutjobs on the S46. B) )

2) And I'm not worried about that. I was ready to kick that guy's @ss on the S79 after he started with me (plus, remember that if an adult and a child fight, the adult has much more to lose than the child). I'm not asking them to move back, but I am going to move myself to the back.

Like I said, I'll be polite and say excuse me, but I will get there one way or another.

As for how I'll get by, you saw me in person. I think I'm skinny enough to make it past a person, provided they're a reasonable weight.

1) Look at the schedule. The S96s that serve the Teleport (they all serve the West Shore Plaza) are scheduled to arrive 2 minutes before the S46, and then there's some 10+ minute gaps in service. Bunching is already a problem in the morning (which is why nobody in their right mind would take the S46 over the S40. Then again, there are probably a lot of nutjobs on the S46. :( )

Aren't you the one that said that the S46s don't carry much along South Avenue? If that's the case then where is all of this bunching supposed to occur at?? :confused:

2) And I'm not worried about that. I was ready to kick that guy's @ss on the S79 after he started with me (plus, remember that if an adult and a child fight, the adult has much more to lose than the child). I'm not asking them to move back, but I am going to move myself to the back.

Like I said, I'll be polite and say excuse me, but I will get there one way or another.

As for how I'll get by, you saw me in person. I think I'm skinny enough to make it past a person, provided they're a reasonable weight.

LOL... *Makes patting motion* Even so there is really no where to go. You can't move somewhere if someone is already there. That's basically my point. You may want to get to the back, but if someone is there, I don't see that happening, even as skinny as you are. B)

1) Aren't you the one that said that the S46s don't carry much along South Avenue? If that's the case then where is all of this bunching supposed to occur at?? :confused:

2) LOL... *Makes patting motion* Even so there is really no where to go. You can't move somewhere if someone is already there. That's basically my point. You may want to get to the back, but if someone is there, I don't see that happening, even as skinny as you are. B)

1) The latest schedule has them scheduled that way to bunch from Mariners' Harbor to Port Richmond.

Before that, you would have all of the Port Richmond High School kids (and everybody else stupid or lazy enough to take it to St. George) crushloading one bus and then the next bus comes with a seated load. What should be happening is that both buses have a reasonable number of standees, but more space for passengers (you have local passengers getting on S96s because they can't fit onto the S46, and then you have long-distance passengers getting on S46s and risking missing the ferry or whatever bus they need to transfer to. :( )

2) Ugh. Don't remind me. I might not have freaked out if it was on the shoulder (and if his tone wasn't sarcastic), but nobody's patting me on the head like that. :mad:

I guess you're right there. But I could ask them to move further back, and point out that there's more space.

I remember doing that on the S46 once. A girl was standing by the steps, and I asked her to stand on the step. She looked at me like I was some sort of freak, but she did it.

My friend was sitting nearby, and we were joking that she looked at me like I was some sort of pervert. :( "Oh yeah baby. Stand on that step. :p"

And yeah, it's all based on what you're used to and what you're comfortable with (for example, you live near the B35, but you're not willing to pack on when the bus is full, so your standards are a bit lower than mine)

How are my standards lower if I'm not willing to cram onto a crowded bus?

That doesn't make a bit of sense.....

How are my standards lower if I'm not willing to sardine onto a crowded bus?

That doesn't make a bit of sense.....

Because to me, the bus isn't crushloaded until I physically can't fit on (and the back is reasonably crowded). I'm not denying the buses aren't crowded, but you said a while back that somebody could get on if they wanted to (and were willing to twist their body to get past everybody).

Because to me, the bus isn't crushloaded until I physically can't fit on (and the back is reasonably crowded). I'm not denying the buses aren't crowded, but you said a while back that somebody could get on if they wanted to (and were willing to twist their body to get past everybody).

Nothing of which has to do with low standards.

Low tolerance, I'll buy.....

If my standards were low, I would be the person actually cramming onto the bus.... No way am I pushing my way onto a bus with 30 min. or lower headways.....

Only ppl. I know of that actually wants a bus to be crowded, are pickpockets.....

Most other riders want/hope for empt(ier) buses....

Nothing of which has to do with low standards.

Low tolerance, I'll buy.....

If my standards were low, I would be the person actually cramming onto the bus....

Only ppl. I know of that actually wants a bus to be crowded, are pickpockets..... Most other riders want/hope for empt(ier) buses....

Alright, then rephrase that to say low tolerance, but I never said your standards were low. I said they're lower than mine.

Our standards are always lower because we refuse to ride sardine cans and would rather ride like civilized human beings. B) I'm sorry but this isn't friggin' Japan.

Yes, all I'm saying is that they're lower than mine. I wouldn't mind riding a crushloaded subway or bus if it meant the fare would go down.

That's why I think the number of school trippers should be reduced. You have kids spreading themselves out and they're not even paying. I could care less if they're not paying (at least not with money), but they should be using as few resources as possible so there's enough service for the people who are paying.

Our standards are always lower because we refuse to ride sardine cans and would rather ride like civilized human beings. B) I'm sorry but this isn't friggin' Japan.

I'm sayin though....

If someone doesn't mind riding on packed buses, that's their business.... but let's not start talkin about lower standards, as if the folks that would rather not cram onto buses are in the wrong, or abnormal somehow.....

Speakin of Japan, I was tryna find that pic Yuki posted a good while back, where dudes faces were literally pressed onto the glass.... I'm like man, I wish I would... if that what it takes to ride transportation out there, then I guess I'd be one poor jobless, homeless SOB.....

No one ever thinks about the people actually already seated..... those are the poor souls that got it the worst....

I'm sayin though....

If someone doesn't mind riding on packed buses, that's their business.... but let's not start talkin about lower standards, as if the folks that would rather not cram onto buses are in the wrong, or abnormal somehow.....

Speakin of Japan, I was tryna find that pic Yuki posted a good while back, where dudes faces were literally pressed onto the glass.... I'm like man, I wish I would... if that what it takes to ride transportation out there, then I guess I'd be one poor jobless, homeless SOB.....

No one ever thinks about the people actually already seated..... those are the poor souls that got it the worst....

I think for the most part, folks have their limits in terms of how far they're willing to go to protect their level of privacy on a bus or subway. Me, I personally have let several trains pass before taking one because I absolutely hate being packed in a subway car. The thing that really annoys me is that you have people that just love to be practically on top of you and they STINK too, especially those cigarette smokers and the sweaty folks. :eek: I keep moving and they keep moving right along with me and then I give them the look like WTF?? Stop moving near me already and some of them just don't get it. :mad: It's like you stink and I don't want you near me. Get the message already and stop moving. :mad:

I'm sayin though....

No, I'm not saying you guys are in the wrong or abnormal or whatever. I'm just saying that crushloaded to you guys is different from crushloaded to me. There's nothing wrong with any of us.

And yeah, I saw that picture. But I don't see how the people seated are the people worse off than the standees.

Archived