Was there ever a plan for a Hylan Blvd subway line?

SIR North Shore

Because had it existed it would have been completely flooded out thanks to hurricane Irene. :eek:

I doubt it. The SIR is 1/2 mile away at the widest point.

The IND Second System just had a track connecting from the 4th Avenue Line to St. George (I think it might've made one other stops within the St. George nieghborhood), and that was a very ambitious plan.

Because had it existed it would have been completely flooded out thanks to hurricane Irene. :eek:

part of the SIRT got flooded anyway, but I doubt there was ever plans for any Subway on Staten Island, untill 1964 it was very quiet and almost rural, it wasnt untill the Verrazano Bridge opened that it got more suburban.

I doubt there was ever plans for any Subway on Staten Island,

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten_Island_Tunnel.

There was a plan to put a subway tunnel to Staten Island, and it was to link to the North Shore and Mainlines of the Staten Island Railway. There just was never a plan on paper to build any new subways on Staten Island.

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten_Island_Tunnel.

There was a plan to put a subway tunnel to Staten Island, and it was to link to the North Shore and Mainlines of the Staten Island Railway. There just was never a plan on paper to build any new subways on Staten Island.

hes asking about a subway down Hyland Blvd, not a cross Narrows tunnel

• 2 weeks later...

While bad for this Hylan Blvd subway, such a subway might've taken "the bullet" for alot of homes, streets, & businesses on & along Hylan Blvd.

I doubt it. The SIR is 1/2 mile away at the widest point.

The IND Second System just had a track connecting from the 4th Avenue Line to St. George (I think it might've made one other stops within the St. George nieghborhood), and that was a very ambitious plan.

IIRC it was WWII which killed that project. Funds redirected from public works to toppling Hitler, Mussolini, & Tojo.

• 3 months later...

There were two plans to connect SI to city subways:

The 1913 Dual Contracts saw Brooklyn Rapid Transit, later BMT, competing with original IRT to run NYC subways, included a Narrows tunnel plan...which fizzled.

A post-WWI attempt in 1925 saw tunneling started in Bay Ridge and Tomkinsville, but due to unclear political pressures or lack of funds, never resumed, even though SIRT bought 100 EMU cars and hastily electrified their 3-branch system in anticipation.

(From "SIRT-The Essential History" by Leigh and Matus)

In the early '60s the V-NB's second deck was built for subway use, but that idea also died, some say because anti-transit planner Robert Moses killed it.

This logical link to afford SI commuters a faster, non-ferry, non-traffic-snarled daily ride to work makes total sense.

But apparently the "Forgotten Borough jinx" keeps derailing it.

BTW, I've never heard of any other SI subway plans. Digging city holes for trains is tremendously expensive.

Archived