Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

LIRR vs Metro-North

6 Lexington Ave

This is my first post in this area of the forums as so far I've only used the subway section, but I wanted to know your opinions. Which of the two railroads do you like better? I cannot answer this question as I've only been on the MNR on the Hudson Line up to Cold Spring and I have to say I loved it!

LIRR is better, MNRR has the potential to be better.If they rebuild the Tappan Zee bridge with a commuter rail crossing to connect to west hudson, if they approve the New Haven to Springfield Mass line and when they ever start service to Penn Station when the ESA is done,scenic wise and service wise MNRR will be king in commuter rail in the Tri State. But all of those are big IF's.

I wonder how many people also have an interest to some other RR besides MNR/LIRR.

For me, i like both of them, as long as I get some good snaps and fun around, im cool.

The only thing i hate is people bashing between equipments. One says Genesis is crap, the DE/Ms are better and back and forth..

Metro-North is of course my top dog, even tho i like LIRR as well.. Other systems: Amtrak, NJT, SEPTA, MBTA, CSX/NS, Tri-Rail(Flordia), MARC, etc.

If you want to get around Long Island, LIRR is better. If you're trying to get around Lower Hudson Valley New York and Connecticut, MNR is better.

And you got NJT/MNR-WOH for the Lower Hudson and Northern NJ B)

Don't have to hesitate..... for me it's Metro north, simply on the basis that it's more reliable.

Less of a headache having to deal w/ MNRR, as opposed to LIRR.....

None of this is to say, LIRR doesn't have any +'s though.....

Hmm.... Another to do list... I'll have to see how MNRR is up to Riverdale... :cool: Anywho, since the MNRR is getting new trains that are supposed to be more comfortable, I'll go with MNRR. I think the LIRR is overpriced and those seats are terribly made. The train jerks all over the place and quite frankly it doesn't seem like nothing more than an overpriced subway with terrible seats at that. :eek: This is coming from an express bus rider who doesn't mind paying more for a comfortable ride, but I've been on trains all over the place, I didn't see much of anything that was so "scenic" about Long Island. Looked like we were back in the woods somewhere. :eek: I'll take Connecticut any day over "that".

Hmm.... Another to do list... I'll have to see how MNRR is up to Riverdale... :cool: Anywho, since the MNRR is getting new trains that are supposed to be more comfortable, I'll go with MNRR. I think the LIRR is overpriced and those seats are terribly made. The train jerks all over the place and quite frankly it doesn't seem like nothing more than an overpriced subway with terrible seats at that. :eek: This is coming from an express bus rider who doesn't mind paying more for a comfortable ride, but I've been on trains all over the place, I didn't see much of anything that was so "scenic" about Long Island. Looked like we were back in the woods somewhere. :eek: I'll take Connecticut any day over "that".

I'd say "ride the M3's" but you'd probably hate the flickering effect when they cross third rail gaps.

I'd say "ride the M3's" but you'd probably hate the flickering effect when they cross third rail gaps.

lol... Honestly though, if you ever ride EuroStar trains you'll understand why I don't think LIRR trains are comfortable and actually it is cheaper to ride EuroStar trains that LIRR trains.

yeah, I don't know why LIRR trains tend to jerk like that... you do get smoother rides on MNRR

far as the part in bold.... not for nothin, but I also view the LIRR that way.....

Hell, the PW (pt. washington) line is used like it's an extension of the (7)....

anyway, there's something wrong when you gotta shell out 9.75 to go from penn to babylon.... but I can get from grand central to norwalk for that same price (well, last time I went to s. norwalk, it was 9.75, about a couple months ago.... been meaning to go back out there).... norwalk to gct is farther a distance than it is from penn to babylon..... and those are off peak fares I'm mentioning....

peak trains are higher priced on LIRR also.....

yeah, I don't know why LIRR trains tend to jerk like that... you do get smoother rides on MNRR

far as the part in bold.... not for nothin, but I also view the LIRR that way.....

Hell, the PW (pt. washington) line is used like it's an extension of the (7)....

anyway, there's something wrong when you gotta shell out 9.75 to go from penn to babylon.... but I can get from grand central to norwalk for that same price (well, last time I went to s. norwalk, it was 9.75, about a couple months ago.... been meaning to go back out there).... norwalk to gct is farther a distance than it is from penn to babylon..... and those are off peak fares I'm mentioning....

peak trains are higher priced on LIRR also.....

LOL... I thought I was the only one who thought that. I mean I don't mind paying for quality and am not a cheapskate by any means, but I also know when something is overpriced. I had to go to the Oheka Castle for a networking dinner about almost two years ago (may decide to go this year too, as I skipped last year's invitation). I think it cost me something like $21.00 roundtrip from Penn Station to Huntington, which seems a tad bit much IMO. Car service was $11.00 each way from the Oheka Castle to Huntington Station, which wasn't bad, but I got off of the train thinking, $21.00 for a f*cking stiff neck? If I want to be jerked around (literally being jerked back and forth on the train), I can jump on the subway for that. LOL My company reimbursed me, but still.

Part of the higher price was also the cost for the peak ticket going to Huntington since I left towards the end of rush hour for the dinner.

...but I can get from grand central to norwalk for that same price (well, last time I went to s. norwalk, it was 9.75, about a couple months ago.... been meaning to go back out there)

You better go back out sooner than later as the price is going up. It's proposed to go up on November 1. A one way peak is going from $13.00 to a proposed $15.25 and an off peak from $9.75 to a proposed $11.25.

This will be the first time that the CDOT raised the fares in over five years. Since then the MTA counterparts raised the fares at least 3 times for the New York stations.

As for the "jerking around" problem on the LIRR, its the crappy M7 fleet and maintenance. All M7s give rough rides even the MNRR M7As but not as much. My friend has a picture of an LIRR M7 with duct tape keeping parts of the interior together.

The much older M3 and M3As are much smoother and have way better seats. Also the MN's overhauled ones are in like a brand new condition.

Ever ride the local to Babylon? Now that feels like an overpriced long distance subway. Every 3 mins there was a damn stop.

As for the "jerking around" problem on the LIRR, its the crappy M7 fleet and maintenance. All M7s give rough rides even the MNRR M7As but not as much. My friend has a picture of an LIRR M7 with duct tape keeping parts of the interior together.

The much older M3 and M3As are much smoother and have way better seats. Also the MN's overhauled ones are in like a brand new condition.

Ever ride the local to Babylon? Now that feels like an overpriced long distance subway. Every 3 mins there was a damn stop.

LMAO

Metro North isnt much cheaper than the LIRR, its $7.75 one way from White Plains (or any zone 4 station) to GCT and $7.25 from Hicksville (or any zone 7 station) to Penn Station. Dont compare New Haven line fares Connecticut subsidizes the cost so its cheaper, but going to the New York stations on the NH line is more expensive than the LIRR.

And I dunno what you guys are talking about with the seats, ive been on both M7 models and the seats are exactly the same, except the M7A has the seats in a different layout.

^^ It doesn't have to be a station in Connecticut for me to bring up the fact that the LIRR is more expensive than the Metro North.....

yes, enough times.

that's part of the reason why those montauk trains be so damn packed....

12:10(pm) montauk train out of jamaica on a saturday.... you won't see any one platform for any other branch get more crowded than folks waitin for that train..... and of course, those are the bi-levels too... absolute madhouse....

I've ridden the local to Babylon (well, to Massapequa). Yes, the stops are very close together. I don't mind that. But the automated announcements are virtually nonstop due to the short distance between stops.

You should try Valley Stream-Far Rockaway. The closest stations in the system. Or the New Years Eve train. Drunk revelers + local stops Rockville Centre to Speonk.

As for rough ride, if you sit in the right place it isn't too bad. Unless it's the only seat available, I try to avoid sitting between the car door and the end door (over the trucks). The M3's aren't that much better. The C3's are WAY better.

Those Babylon line trains get packed in general. I took an express to Freeport out of Penn in the spring and it was SRO right out of the East River Tunnels. I'd rather stick to LB trains because I'll be damned if I have to transfer at Jamaica. At least the last time I had to take the LIRR back home from Manhattan it was an M3, and I didn't mind the flickering thing at all. On the other hand, the M7 I got going to Penn was awful. Something was up with the trucks - they were squeaking extremely loudly throughout the ride and that side of the car was bucking as well. I hate the M7s...

Something was up with the trucks - they were squeaking extremely loudly throughout the ride and that side of the car was bucking as well. I hate the M7s...

The squeaking is a problem. As for bucking on one side only, that I don't know about.

Try the Atlantic Avenue Tunnel. If you are unlucky, I think it's the loudest LIRR trackage in the system.

I like both railroads but Metro North takes the cake IMO. I hate the the fact that none of the LIRR diesel routes has a off peak one seat ride into NYP. Also the main line on the LIRR would be much better if it was four tracks rather than two. And the Greeport line, nuff said! :tdown:

Also Metro North has parts of its system where the MAS is 90 MPH, riding a MU at 90 MPH is :cool:

I think part of the Hudson line north of CH has some 90 MPH stretches as well.

The LIRR diesels MAS in 65, I wish it was a 100 at least then maybe they could do NYC - Greenport/Montaok in a hour and change and squash Hampton Jitey lol.

Also two MN routes shares trackage with Amtrak for a good portion of their trips, however the NEC trains are a joke on the NH line, it takes about the same time to travel NYC - NH as Metro North, MN is only like 15 minutes longer..

I like both railroads but Metro North takes the cake IMO. I hate the the fact that none of the LIRR diesel routes has a off peak one seat ride into NYP. Also the main line on the LIRR would be much better if it was four tracks rather than two. And the Greeport line, nuff said! :tdown:

Also Metro North has parts of its system where the MAS is 90 MPH, riding a MU at 90 MPH is :cool:

I think part of the Hudson line north of CH has some 90 MPH stretches as well.

The LIRR diesels MAS in 65, I wish it was a 100 at least then maybe they could do NYC - Greenport/Montaok in a hour and change and squash Hampton Jitey lol.

Also two MN routes shares trackage with Amtrak for a good portion of their trips, however the NEC trains are a joke on the NH line, it takes about the same time to travel NYC - NH as Metro North, MN is only like 15 minutes longer..

with traffic its still faster to take the train to Montauk or Greenport than it is to drive. The reason its speed restrcited that far out is because of two factors, #1 its manual block, meaning its unsignaled, and #2 the track condition especially on the greenport branch isnt good enough to have them go more than 45mph on it.

Archived