LIRR vs Metro-North

6 Lexington Ave

If you count that in then you also want to call Stamford in on MNRR because there are northbound peak trains terminating and going in service there as well.

Still, in that regard Stamford on MNRR is a terminal as well. So that makes 2 terminals for MNRR.

Well, then by that logic Babylon, Hicksville, Huntington, Valley Stream, and Ronkonkoma can all be considered "terminals" too, so that brings LIRR's cout up to what, 9?

Actually, LIRR has package deals for people who travel within the city (on the CTZ). Sure, it's not their main priority but if they didn't care at all then they wouldn't do those deals.

Apperantly, we have both different views of what a terminal is. No problem, we agree to disagree.

There is no disagreement. You just think junction points are terminals when they are not.

Well, then by that logic Babylon, Hicksville, Huntington, Valley Stream, and Ronkonkoma can all be considered "terminals" too, so that brings LIRR's cout up to what, 9?

Yes, we were talking where trains coming FROM westboud (LIRR) and northbound (MNRR) terminate, not the other way around.

There is no disagreement. You just think junction points are terminals when they are not.

No, it's probably because there's a difference between a terminal in Europe and a terminal in the USA.

Actually, LIRR has package deals for people who travel within the city (on the CTZ). Sure, it's not their main priority but if they didn't care at all then they wouldn't do those deals.

Those are mostly for City people going to places in Long Island. There are very few deals involving trips that both start and end within City Limits.

No, it's probably because there's a difference between a terminal in Europe and a terminal in the USA.

Not really. Most people use the word terminal to mean "where a route ends", which is the definition as it is used on a subway or bus line here. On a commuter railroad (I guess) it means the train station at the end of a line.

However, the endpoint where a "scoot shuttle" meets with regular trains is not considered a terminal in any case, since that's a temporary thing that only occurs sometimes, but I guess you could consider Great Neck, Ronkonkoma, Babylon, and Huntington "terminals", since those do occur at the end of some physical constraint on the line (Great Neck is the end of double track, Ronkonkoma, Babylon, and Huntington are the end of electrification, etc.)

Well, in this case here in The Netherlands we call junctions a terminal so there is a difference.

But yeah, Huntington and stuff are also terminals. Ronkonkoma even more btw because the Greenport branch is rarely used nowadays.

Well, in this case here in The Netherlands we call junctions a terminal so there is a difference.

But yeah, Huntington and stuff are also terminals. Ronkonkoma even more btw because the Greenport branch is rarely used nowadays.

Sorry but this isn't the Netherlands.  Your classic case of a tourist...  :lol: 

Sorry but this isn't the Netherlands.  Your classic case of a tourist...  :lol: 

I know, but it does explain why I made that mistake ;) Sometimes the same rail and bus related words can mean different things between languages, meh :( But I need to know all this stuff so I'm learning from this topic!

I know, but it does explain why I made that mistake ;) Sometimes the same rail and bus related words can mean different things between languages, meh :( But I need to know all this stuff so I'm learning from this topic!

You know I couldn't pass that up, esp. with you calling me a tourist.  :P

There are a few spots on LIRR that are pretty impressive as far as engineering. For instance, on the west side of Jamaica station, you have something like 3 different flyovers over the Van Wyck Expwy, and I think the race with the Flatbush Av/Penn Station trains is cool until they split off. Likewise with the East side where you have the Far Rock/long Beach trains drop off from the Main/Hempstead lines, then the huge flyover on the Babylon Branch over Hillside Facility. Finally the Main Line where they finally got rid of the "Bellerose Bump" so eastbound trains can seamlessly fly through the interlocking

• 2 weeks later...

Archived