Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Finally, World Trade Center rises from ground zero

East New York

aug-2-2011-file-photo-continues-foundation-three-photo-202611767.html

NEW YORK (AP) —Ten years after the 9/11 attacks destroyed the World Trade Center, an 80-story glass and steel tower is rising like a phoenix from the ashes of ground zero. The site called a "hole in the ground" for years has cranes in the air, trains running underground and hundreds of trees planted around giant, man-made waterfalls to remember the dead of Sept. 11. And the surrounding neighborhood —no longer just a financial district —is bursting with young families, new schools, a Whole Foods and a Barnes & Noble.

Tourists squint and point their cellphones at 1 World Trade Center, once known as the Freedom Tower. "I'm kind of proud because I was here two weeks after 9/ 11 and this was a dust pit," said Larry Brancato, 59, of Wallingford, Conn, walking by ground zero. "It just shows that Americans have always had a can-do attitude." After years of inertia, and prolonged disputes between government agencies, insurer and a developer who had just taken out a 99-year lease on the towers when they were toppled, the development of the trade center is substantial, and the tallest tower can now be seen for miles.

http://news.yahoo.com/finally-world-trade-center-rises-ground-zero-195628272.html

It's a very nice building. I've watched Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero, which shows construction and I personally can't wait to see how it looks when it's completed.

Agreed. Other than actually buliding a replica of the oringal WTC, this was the best choice and looks like a beauty. Still it's a shame that this new towers could not had been ready for the 10th annivesary or at least close to finish by now.:(

Archived