Lloyd Robertson signs off for final time

Tokkemon

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110901/lloyd-robertson-final-newscast-110901/

Again, one of those Canada-centric stories, but notable. Lloyd Robertson is Canada's version of Walter Cronkite and really a beacon of fantastic and unbiased journalism. What is also notable is he is the longest serving network news anchor in history outlasting Cronkite, Rather, Brokaw, and Jennings.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110901/lloyd-robertson-final-newscast-110901/

Again, one of those Canada-centric stories, but notable. Lloyd Robertson is Canada's version of Walter Cronkite and really a beacon of fantastic and unbiased journalism. What is also notable is he is the longest serving network news anchor in history outlasting Cronkite, Rather, Brokaw, and Jennings.

I have heard of "Uncle Lloyd" up there. He basically put CBC's main rival CTV News 'on the map' when he left CBC in the mid 1970's. From what i heard/read CTV was a last place in ratings 2nd rate(out of then only two stations in Canada then in pre-cable era.) At end of his run now in 2011, Robertson was the most watched newscasts up there nationally.

Robertson is a legend in the TV news as well. I am surprised he never left Canada as i know several times US networks have made multi million dollar offers for him.

Getting back to topic that Tokemon, Robertson from the few times i have seen him while on vaction as a teen in the late 1980's/early '90's in Toronto with relatives (also for quick 3-day weekend trips in last decade as well most recent in 2004) he reminds me a cross between the seriousness of Cronkite but also at times the sense of humor of NBC's Brain Williams. And unlike Dan Rather not a stuck up star as well.

To Mr.Robertson best of luck in his retirement.:cool:

PS Question for Tokemon. Who is his replacement? Maybe CTV went out to get CBC's Main Anchor Peter Mainsbridge?

While on the network level Robertson now was the longest national or network serving anchor in history, on other hand on the local or regional level there are '2' other men who are ,in the 'host' chair a little longer than 'Uncle Lloyd.'

One is Dave Ward the anchor at the ABC station in Houston since 1968. The other closer to home is Ch.4/WNBC's Chuck Scaborough since 1974.

No doubt in this pressure cooker business of tv news, it safe to say the days of Anchors last 20-plus years on the job is over.

Just in last 6 years, both CBS (since Rather was fired)and ABC(Jennings passing away)have alone each had 4 different people held that 'hot seat.':eek:

Tokkemon just found the youtube clip of "Uncle Lloyd's last broadcast from last Thursday 9/1/11.

And Robertson making international news himself for interviewing John Lennon in 1969 protesting the Vietnam war in an so called Peace weekend sit-in. This would be the place where the classic Christmas seaon song "Happy Christmas'(War is Over) would be sung/created.

Archived