New Bus Schedules Are Out

Via Garibaldi 8

For what ?

I see what they did there....

there's really no overall increase in service during those hours... all they did was schedule buses to meet the demand of riders during the AM rush... In other words, if you're traveling b/w avenue H & dekalb av (which is where the majority of riders are seeking), you got an increase..... if you're a passenger b/w kings plz & av H, and b/w dekalb & WBP, you got a decrease in service....

It makes sense what they're doing, but it's not an overall service increase.... looks like they just broke even....

Anyway, that schedule confirms what we were talkin about in an older thread, regarding less service overall to WBP, and more buses ending at dekalb as of late...

Scheduling buses to meet the demand of riders ! Novel idea.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scheduling buses to meet the demand of riders ! Novel idea.

Yeah, It sure is.

Too bad there isn't much of this goin on, systemwide w/i NYC....

Too bad a lot of routes don't have enough service to begin with, but that's some'n else....

There's a first time for everything, isn't there? :)

Ar night, there are a decent number of buses that manage to connect with the subways, because they're running at low frequencies (20 minutes). The same idea applies here except that the service isn't quite as infrequent.

It would still provide fairly even passenger distribution on the B103 if they tried to run the buses in sync with the trains, and it would cut down the wait times to boot.

you can time a bus to a RR or a ferry here (only if it's a route's terminal)....

however, subways arrive/depart too frequently for many runs along a bus route to try to time.....

Besides, if it aint early in the morning or late @ night, no one's really tryna catch a specific subway train.... aint no one goin, oh, I gotta catch that 1:16pm (2) out of Flatbush av (as an example).....

I actually had someone come up to me w/ a schedule of the (1) in their hand... I was waiting @ christopher, and dude asked me "did the 9 o'clock train from times square 42nd st come yet"....

I said exactly (with a smirk on my face) "what 9 o'clock train"....

then I said, a train (yes, a train....) should come in the next 5 mins or so.....

you can time a bus to a RR or a ferry here (only if it's a route's terminal)....

however, subways arrive/depart too frequently for many runs along a bus route to try to time.....

Besides, if it aint early in the morning or late @ night, no one's really tryna catch a specific subway train.... aint no one goin, oh, I gotta catch that 1:16pm (2) out of Flatbush av (as an example).....

I actually had someone come up to me w/ a schedule of the (1) in their hand... I was waiting @ christopher, and dude asked me "did the 9 o'clock train from times square 42nd st come yet"....

then I said, a train (yes, a train....) should come in the next 5 mins or so.....

But in this instance, you have the (2) running every 12 minutes. I think that's frequent enough to try to time. I mean, they do it with the SI Ferry during rush hours when it runs every 15 minutes.

I mean, people aren't timing themselves for the train (or in the reverse-scenario, for the bus, unless its infrequent), but it's still nice to minimize the waiting time. For example, I was pissed this past summer because the S93 always arrived at 86th Street just after an (R) left. That was the reason why I was only able to get the ideal commuting time (75 minutes) once or twice: Because at least one of the connections always went wrong.

I'm just saying on Sundays when both the (2) and B103 run infrequently. I'm not saying to try and time them when the buses and trains are running every few minutes.

I mean, people aren't timing themselves for the train (or in the reverse-scenario, for the bus, unless its infrequent), but it's still nice to minimize the waiting time. For example, I was pissed this past summer because the S93 always arrived at 86th Street just after an (R) left. That was the reason why I was only able to get the ideal commuting time (75 minutes) once or twice: Because at least one of the connections always went wrong.

Just like me and the N79. Only I'm dealing with non-clockface LIRR schedules on one side and 30 minute headways on the other.

Quoting the scheduling manual:

....the reality is that most people will consult a timetable for any service that is less frequent than every 15 minutes.

This should be an effective guideline for holding connections. Anything running every 20 or 30 minutes should be holding, as I and many others hate what I call "back-planning" (taking the time of the infrequent service and calculating what time to board the train based on experienced travel time)

Yeah, It sure is.

Too bad there isn't much of this goin on, systemwide w/i NYC....

Too bad a lot of routes don't have enough service to begin with, but that's some'n else....

LOL... Yeah I mean who in the hell says that for a subway? A commuter train I can understand, but I doubt many people even know that a schedule even exists for the subway. They generally run frequently enough on most lines that a schedule isn't necessary, although on lines like the (G), (:) and (D) I wouldn't mind having one. Those three lines are beyond the worse in the system, and let's not forget about that damn (2) train. :mad:

I still have yet to see on of these "schedules" anyway. Curious to see what they look like because I haven't seen anything on the (MTA) website about these either. :confused:

Like I said, it's probably in preparation for a merge. I guess it would make it look better when they eliminate it on Saturdays ("Well, it barely ran anyway")

And what do they think? Suddenly folks aren't going to need bus service in the areas run by (MTA) Bus? I mean how exactly is the merger going to affect folks service wise? I assume the city would continue to give monies for the lines the (MTA) took over and started (MTA) Bus with.

I still have yet to see on of these "schedules" anyway. Curious to see what they look like because I haven't seen anything on the (MTA) website about these either. :confused:

Click on a subway line:

http://www.mta.info/schedules/

As for printed versions, they should be available at any token booth (for the lines served there). MTA Customer Service center has racks of them for most lines.

Click on a subway line:

http://www.mta.info/schedules/

As for printed versions, they should be available at any token booth (for the lines served there). MTA Customer Service center has racks of them for most lines.

LMAO... Well I'll be damned... Learn something new everyday... I'll certainly be using these for some of the slow poke lines, but this is actually good this way you don't waste time having to wait for another train, especially late at night. :cool: I just thought they never existed and didn't even bother to look at the subways... :)

Just like me and the N79. Only I'm dealing with non-clockface LIRR schedules on one side and 30 minute headways on the other.

Quoting the scheduling manual:

This should be an effective guideline for holding connections. Anything running every 20 or 30 minutes should be holding, as I and many others hate what I call "back-planning" (taking the time of the infrequent service and calculating what time to board the train based on experienced travel time)

I'm not sure what you mean by back-planning. Can you give an example?

And yeah, that 15 minute-rule is definitely accurate. I notice on routes like the S46 and S48 that run every 12 minutes, people tend to show up randomly, whereas on routes like the S40 or S51 that run every 15-20 minutes, people tend to time themselves for a specific bus.

LOL... Yeah I mean who in the hell says that for a subway? A commuter train I can understand, but I doubt many people even know that a schedule even exists for the subway. They generally run frequently enough on most lines that a schedule isn't necessary, although on lines like the (G), (:) and (D) I wouldn't mind having one. Those three lines are beyond the worse in the system, and let's not forget about that damn (2) train. :mad:

And what do they think? Suddenly folks aren't going to need bus service in the areas run by (MTA) Bus? I mean how exactly is the merger going to affect folks service wise? I assume the city would continue to give monies for the lines the (MTA) took over and started (MTA) Bus with.

Well, maybe that person is used to waiting for infrequent services (like Amtrak said, services running every 15 minutes or more), and he's used to looking at the timetables for those. Even for the HBLR across the Hudson River, a schedule is necessary off-peak.

And there's a thread regarding the merger. I don't know what's going to happen to the "blank check agreement". I would assume it would be what I had in mind (the MTA figures out how much money those services cost, and the city adds it to their budget)

LMAO... Well I'll be damned... Learn something new everyday... I'll certainly be using these for some of the slow poke lines, but this is actually good this way you don't waste time having to wait for another train, especially late at night. :cool: I just thought they never existed and didn't even bother to look at the subways... :)

I didn't realize it until a few years ago. Then I saw some timetables at Union Square, and I realized that they're at mta.info with the bus schedules.

Realistically, the only time you could count on them would be at night. Otherwise, you can't really time yourself for a train running every 10 minutes. Plus, during the day, there is a better chance of a train running early or late. I remember I was waiting for about 10 minutes at 8th Street, and an (R) came by on the express track. I was like WTF :mad:. Luckily, I was able to make the 16:00 ferry by the skin of my teeth.

I'm using my commute as an example:

The train leaves NYP at 4PM. I know it's a 25 minutes subway ride to get there. I may just make the train or I may just miss it. That means adding the approximate subway headway to that 25 minutes. Then I have to account for walking from the subway to the LIRR concourse. Then I have to account for if the (A) doesn't come and I have to take the (F) and walk (which I actually had to do several times). That means entering the subway at ~4:20 to account for everything. And then there's the possibility that the train will be too crowded, since I'd get there after the track is posted.

And given that I didn't take the same train out of NYP each day, I had to do this all the time. And when I used Atlantic Terminal, the awful (R) headway only made it more confusing and unpredictable.

And the N79 connection only made it worse. (approximate lateness at Hicksville, potential for train delays, etc.)

I'm using my commute as an example:

The train leaves NYP at 4PM. I know it's a 25 minutes subway ride to get there. I may just make the train or I may just miss it. That means adding the approximate subway headway to that 25 minutes. Then I have to account for walking from the subway to the LIRR concourse. Then I have to account for if the (A) doesn't come and I have to take the (F) and walk (which I actually had to do several times). That means entering the subway at ~4:20 to account for everything. And then there's the possibility that the train will be too crowded, since I'd get there after the track is posted.

And given that I didn't take the same train out of NYP each day, I had to do this all the time. And when I used Atlantic Terminal, the awful (R) headway only made it more confusing and unpredictable.

And the N79 connection only made it worse. (approximate lateness at Hicksville, potential for train delays, etc.)

Alright. I see what you're saying. It sounded like backplanning had something to do with the agency, but it's clear now.

And I had to do a lot of that over the summer. :) And just like in your case, the services had a lot of potential to be delayed. Now that I think back, the best way would've been to backtrack to Union Square, where I could catch the (4)(5) to Bowling Green, instead of taking the (6) to Brooklyn Bridge and then catching the (4)(5).

And yeah, that 15 minute-rule is definitely accurate. I notice on routes like the S46 and S48 that run every 12 minutes, people tend to show up randomly, whereas on routes like the S40 or S51 that run every 15-20 minutes, people tend to time themselves for a specific bus.

Well, maybe that person is used to waiting for infrequent services (like Amtrak said, services running every 15 minutes or more), and he's used to looking at the timetables for those. Even for the HBLR across the Hudson River, a schedule is necessary off-peak.

And there's a thread regarding the merger. I don't know what's going to happen to the "blank check agreement". I would assume it would be what I had in mind (the MTA figures out how much money those services cost, and the city adds it to their budget)

I didn't realize it until a few years ago. Then I saw some timetables at Union Square, and I realized that they're at mta.info with the bus schedules.

Realistically, the only time you could count on them would be at night. Otherwise, you can't really time yourself for a train running every 10 minutes. Plus, during the day, there is a better chance of a train running early or late. I remember I was waiting for about 10 minutes at 8th Street, and an (R) came by on the express track. I was like WTF :mad:. Luckily, I was able to make the 16:00 ferry by the skin of my teeth.

True, but on the infrequent lines it is certainly a big help. Even on the (4) and (5) lines I would say it could be needed now. I've been noticing long waits of late when trying to catch one. For example, if I catch the X12 and there is traffic Downtown or if I take the X15, I know that I need to get over to Wall Street by ~09:30 or 09:40, otherwise, I may very well be waiting over 10 minutes for a train, which happened recently at Wall St. We were there waiting for friggin' 20 minutes from about shortly after ~09:30 until after 09:50. :mad: I know this to be a fact because last week sometime I had to get off of the X12 because of the traffic Downtown :mad: and had to schlepp over the friggin' subway. I was walking to the turnstile as a train was pulling in and I looked at the countdown clock and the next train after that one was due in 10 minutes, which IMO is ridiculous, especially on that line at that time of the morning. Many folks don't start working until 10:00 or even 10:30. :mad: :tdown: This is why I don't buy this about the (MTA) beefing up subway service or any service for that matter. They're just looking to cut cut cut cut cut cut :mad:

True, but on the infrequent lines it is certainly a big help. Even on the (4) and (5) lines I would say it could be needed now. I've been noticing long waits of late when trying to catch one. For example, if I catch the X12 and there is traffic Downtown or if I take the X15, I know that I need to get over to Wall Street by ~09:30 or 09:40, otherwise, I may very well be waiting over 10 minutes for a train, which happened recently at Wall St. We were there waiting for friggin' 20 minutes from about shortly after ~09:30 until after 09:50. :mad: I know this to be a fact because last week sometime I had to get off of the X12 because of the traffic Downtown :mad: and had to schlepp over the friggin' subway. I was walking to the turnstile as a train was pulling in and I looked at the countdown clock and the next train after that one was due in 10 minutes, which IMO is ridiculous, especially on that line at that time of the morning. Many folks don't start working until 10:00 or even 10:30. :mad: :tdown: This is why I don't buy this about the (MTA) beefing up subway service or any service for that matter. They're just looking to cut cut cut cut cut cut :mad:

Well, there is the chance that there was a big delay. I can't believe that the (4) and (5) run every 10 minutes combined. That would be 20 minutes each, which is ridiculous.

And in that case, the schedule wouldn't even help you. It says the (4)(5) run every 4-7 minutes each (meaning 2-3 minutes combined), and you were waiting 10 minutes for a train.

See here:

http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/t4cur.pdf

http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/t5cur.pdf

The BMs have been cut down further going back to the city on Saturdays... :mad:

The X10 and X1 gained a slightly better frequencies. The X10 gained 20 minute frequencies going to the city on Saturdays for most of the day and coming back to the city. The X1 gained 10 minute frequencies coming back from the city during the week, still no expanded service. :( The X17C also gained a bit more frequencies on Saturdays.

why are you surprised you don't use them. If brooklyn doesn't want to loose their BM service then they need to use it!!!!!!!! It's that simple

Oh. That makes sense. Well, I already have the new Q47, since it was in 2011a.

And whaddya know, the Bx55 has higher headaways all across the board know. I better start getting my final rides in now :(

WOW why cut a LTD for the sake of a stupid local??? UHH why don't they extend it to LGA already that might be the only way to save BX55.

Just get rid of Saturday BM4 service already.

I am surprised it lasted so long!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously the passengers aren't riding correctly.

no shit shirlock most saturday BM runs carry air!!!!!!!!

However this is one way to help BM. Allow BM buses to be open door in brooklyn BM1 is the only bus on ave K. BM2 err doesn't need that except weekends to ease B103. BM3 can be a LTD version of B49 and provide service in the areas where there is no local service. BM4 is useless either cut sat service OR reroute it to ocean parkway for service there. BM5 reroute off peak service through middle village in queens but unchanged at rush hr. This should increase ridership along with the open door policy the changes should increase revenue on the buses.

BM2 does it need sat service??? if it's sat ridership is low then you can eliminate it's weekend service along with BM4 then powerup BM1 and BM3 both of which have ZERO alternatives and segments with NO available local service.

However this is one way to help BM. Allow BM buses to be open door in brooklyn BM1 is the only bus on ave K. BM2 err doesn't need that except weekends to ease B103. BM3 can be a LTD version of B49 and provide service in the areas where there is no local service. BM4 is useless either cut sat service OR reroute it to ocean parkway for service there. BM5 reroute off peak service through middle village in queens but unchanged at rush hr. This should increase ridership along with the open door policy the changes should increase revenue on the buses.

BM2 does it need sat service??? if it's sat ridership is low then you can eliminate it's weekend service along with BM4 then powerup BM1 and BM3 both of which have ZERO alternatives and segments with NO available local service.

If you have the BM's as open door in Brooklyn, would you still have to pay 5.50 to get on and ride for a few stops because I highly doubt that people in Brooklyn would pay that when they can take a local for 2.25.

Uh... I use my express bus service. Thank you very much. :mad:

Would you mind cloning yourself to add ridership to those routes? ;)

People always say "If you don't want to lose your service, you have to use it". The problem is that there are people that use it. It's not their fault that nobody else uses it. You can't really blame anybody really. You can blame the MTA to a small extent for not making it more attractive, and you can blame people who are driving in instead of taking the express bus, but most of the time, there isn't much you can do to attract ridership to an express route.

As far as cutting it goes, yeah it would give the MTA more bang for its buck, but you are affecting riders, even if it's a small amount.

Would you mind cloning yourself to add ridership to those routes? ;)

People always say "If you don't want to lose your service, you have to use it". The problem is that there are people that use it. It's not their fault that nobody else uses it. You can't really blame anybody really. You can blame the MTA to a small extent for not making it more attractive, and you can blame people who are driving in instead of taking the express bus, but most of the time, there isn't much you can do to attract ridership to an express route.

As far as cutting it goes, yeah it would give the MTA more bang for its buck, but you are affecting riders, even if it's a small amount.

Well let's face it. The express bus still is something that isn't really promoted by the (MTA) and when I first saw the X16, it never even dawned on me that I could ride it. For some reason, I had this idea that I was somehow "prohibited" from riding it, probably because there weren't any schedules or anything showing where it went and such. Even now, some of the schedules are wrong and outdated. The express bus is still something of a mystery for many.

I mean you talked about how when you saw the X29 and wondered what in the hell that bus was when you were living back in Brighton Beach. LOL

The express bus is a whole different culture from knowing how they operate in terms of the lines or lack of lines, to where they stop, etc., etc. As far as I'm concerned, they could do better but they aren't advertised and it seems like the (MTA) would like to keep it that way and keep it as a service for the select folks that know about them and can also afford to ride them.

Well let's face it. The express bus still is something that isn't really promoted by the (MTA) and when I first saw the X16, it never even dawned on me that I could ride it. For some reason, I had this idea that I was somehow "prohibited" from riding it, probably because there weren't any schedules or anything showing where it went and such. Even now, some of the schedules are wrong and outdated. The express bus is still something of a mystery for many.

I mean you talked about how when you saw the X29 and wondered what in the hell that bus was when you were living back in Brighton Beach. LOL

The express bus is a whole different culture from knowing how they operate in terms of the lines or lack of lines, to where they stop, etc., etc. As far as I'm concerned, they could do better but they aren't advertised and it seems like the (MTA) would like to keep it that way and keep it as a service for the select folks that know about them and can also afford to ride them.

Yeah, and that has to change. If somebody is willing and able to use a service that generates additional revenue for the MTA, the MTA should try to attract those types of customers.

I mean in areas right by the subway (like the BxM11 route), the subway seems like the only choice to reach Manhattan, and there might be people who are willing to pay the extra $3.25 for a more comfortable ride.

When they make GOs, they have the opportunity to advertise the express buses (if there are any). For example, during the Brighton Line reconstruction, they could've had posters saying that the express bus was an alternative, and it was only a few blocks away (and under the poster, they could put out some copies of the schedule).

Hell, on the weekends, they could say "Instead of taking the (2) to 149th Street/Grand Concourse for the (4)(5) and dealing with the local stops, you can take the BxM11 and be directly in Manhattan for $5.50". Of course, they wouldn't be so blunt about it, but something to that effect would work.

During rush hour, the subway has the advantage of not getting caught in traffic, but off-peak is when you have slower subway service and faster express bus service, and that's good because it "spreads the peak" on the express routes and makes them cheaper to run. Combine that with cheaper off-peak fares and you could really make them cheaper to operate. It's a win-win.

Yeah, and that has to change. If somebody is willing and able to use a service that generates additional revenue for the MTA, the MTA should try to attract those types of customers.

It's not just the (MTA) though, it's the B/Os also. I think they have an idea of what the typical express bus rider looks like and if they don't look decently dressed or somewhat professional, they very well may not stop. LOL On the BM express buses, they will fly right by the stop if you are at a stop where both the local and the express bus stops at because they just assume that no one wants the express bus at those stops, so my little movements that I do towards it would not work unless I was at an express bus only stop.

When I'm at say Avenue X and Ocean, I'll put my hand out as if I'm hailing a taxi to make sure that they know that they need to stop. However, I'm not doing anything more than that, as that would be just too declassé for my standards and certainly not something that a classy express bus rider would do. I see a few morons from time to time start getting all gitty and waiving their hands around like clowns and I just sit there and look at them with disgust like, you clearly are a local bus rider. ;)

The thing is I think the (MTA) thinks that you won't have too many folks that will ride the express bus AND ride the subway and local bus and that is usually the case. Most express bus riders are exclusive express bus riders. For example, today we were stuck in a ton of traffic and I know some folks were late, but they refused to get off once we reached the city and take the subway. I would be one of them as well, but I knew I would only be a few minutes late if that, plus the (4)(5) and (6) were delayed anyway, and I really hate dealing with the subway unless I'm going say just a few stops and really am in the mood for it, so I stayed on as well as was maybe 5-10 minutes late. Nothing big since I had already told my boss that traffic was a mess anyway and that I may be late as a result.

It's not just the (MTA) though, it's the B/Os also. I think they have an idea of what the typical express bus rider looks like and if they don't look decently dressed or somewhat professional, they very well may not stop. LOL On the BM express buses, they will fly right by the stop if you are at a stop where both the local and the express bus stops at because they just assume that no one wants the express bus at those stops, so my little movements that I do towards it would not work unless I was at an express bus only stop.

When I'm at say Avenue X and Ocean, I'll put my hand out as if I'm hailing a taxi to make sure that they know that they need to stop. However, I'm not doing anything more than that, as that would be just to declassé for my standards and certainly not something that a normal express bus rider would do. I see a few morons from time to time start getting all gitty and waiting their hands around like clowns and I just sit there and look at them with disgust like, you clearly are a local bus rider. ;)

Well, that's what I do for all buses, whether local or express. I'm not going to go waving my hands or anything. But I don't see what the big deal is if somebody is waving their hands. They're supplying ridership to justify the existance of those routes.

Actually, I remember my dad and I were waiting at an express stop (5th Avenue/32nd Street), and we stuck our hand out and...a taxi pulled up to the stop.

And like I said, they should advertise the express bus more in areas where there's subway service. (In an area like Gerritsen Beach, I assume most of the people know about the express bus. If nothing else, they'll see it pass while they're waiting for (or on) a local bus).

Think about it: You said yourself that you didn't know you could just pay the extra fare and take the express bus. You thought it was some special service. When I lived in Brighton Beach, I would never take an express bus, but at least I would've been informed that such a service was available and ready to use for anybody.

Well, that's what I do for all buses, whether local or express. I'm not going to go waving my hands or anything. But I don't see what the big deal is if somebody is waving their hands. They're supplying ridership to justify the existance of those routes.

Actually, I remember my dad and I were waiting at an express stop (5th Avenue/32nd Street), and we stuck our hand out and...a taxi pulled up to the stop.

And like I said, they should advertise the express bus more in areas where there's subway service. (In an area like Gerritsen Beach, I assume most of the people know about the express bus. If nothing else, they'll see it pass while they're waiting for (or on) a local bus).

Think about it: You said yourself that you didn't know you could just pay the extra fare and take the express bus. You thought it was some special service. When I lived in Brighton Beach, I would never take an express bus, but at least I would've been informed that such a service was available and ready to use for anybody.

Well when Command Bus was around, I noticed those buses and wondered about them, but I thought it was some private service. It wasn't until I did some investigating that I figured everything out. Basically the X16 is what led to me to start looking into other express buses to see if I could use them, especially the ones run by (MTA) Bus. I remembered the BM3 and I knew I was definitely sick of riding the (Q) train all the way to Sheepshead Bay, so I said there has to be an express bus down there and then I pulled up a map and did some digging and found out that I could use my Unlimited Express Bus Metrocard on the (MTA) Bus buses as well and that was all she wrote. :cool: I haven't looked back at the subway since to Sheepshead Bay, and that's why I'm particularly annoyed at them cutting back on Saturday service because my commute is so much more comfortable AND quicker now instead of having to pass through the ghetto parts of Brooklyn on the subway with all of the skells and such. ;)

LOL@ the cab stopping... Hell I don't even have to put my hand out. I can just be at the stop and they will assume that I want a cab and start asking me where I need to go. The other day I was crossing 5th from my office to get the X42 and this cab in a Lincoln is there and he's like take my car I'll charge you less than the yellow cab and I go, I don't need a cab, and he kept on insisting that I take his cab. ;) He eventually got the message, but I think he thought I was blowing him off. LOL

Well, the subway never bothered me. I've always been a rail-oriented person, and even though the express bus has more comfortable seats, I'd stay with the subway.

And that's exactly my point. I remember once I had to go to Queens and I was near Queens Blvd and I had to walk a bit over to Union Turnpike to get to the express bus, but I didn't care because I didn't want to deal with the subway back to the city nor the local bus to the express bus, so I asked a few folks standing at the bus stop if they knew where the QM1 stopped at since I had seen one pass in the other direction as I was coming to Union Turnpike.

This ghetto acting white chick was like "What?" and basically implied that there was no need to take that and that everyone used the subway. I just looked at her like, you ghetto b*tch, I'm not using that when I have an Unlimited Express Bus card. I'll take the express bus, especially since I was well dressed and such, thank you very much, and shortly after that I saw the stop and the bus came right away and I got on and left her in the dust waiting for the local bus to the subway. LOL :cool:

And that's exactly my point. I remember once I had to go to Queens and I was near Queens Blvd and I had to walk a bit over to Union Turnpike to get to the express bus, but I didn't care because I didn't want to deal with the subway back to the city nor the local bus to the express bus, so I asked a few folks standing at the bus stop if they knew where the QM1 stopped at since I had seen one pass in the other direction as I was coming to Union Turnpike.

This ghetto acting white chick was like "What?" and basically implied that there was no need to take that and that everyone used the subway. I just looked at her like, you ghetto b*tch, I'm not using that when I have an Unlimited Express Bus card. I'll take the express bus, especially since I was well dressed and such, thank you very much, and shortly after that I saw the stop and the bus came right away and I got on and left her in the dust waiting for the local bus to the subway. LOL :cool:

Well, like I said, when I have a reasonable choice of the subway or the express bus (even if it's a bus->subway deal), I'll choose the subway, as long as it's not too much longer than the express bus. But I'm not going to stop anybody from taking whatever service they choose. They aren't requesting a private service: They're using a service that's already there.

Like I gave you an example: If I ended up getting a job in Lefrak, I'd probably take the X17J to the (F) to the (M) (or if the (M) came first, I'd just take that). Even though there's the QM15 (and I'd have an Express Bus Plus MetroCard), I'd still take the subway.

You know, one time, I was coming from my summer program, and I saw a woman dip an express bus MetroCard on the S92 at St. George. I was surprised. I can't imagine the ferry being faster to any point on SI. The only thing I could see it making sense for would be if she lived by Forest Avenue/Victory Blvd and didn't want to go to Midtown for the X30, though even then she could take the X14 to the S61/S62/S66.

Archived