New Bus Schedules Are Out

Via Garibaldi 8

You know, one time, I was coming from my summer program, and I saw a woman dip an express bus MetroCard on the S92 at St. George. I was surprised. I can't imagine the ferry being faster to any point on SI. The only thing I could see it making sense for would be if she lived by Forest Avenue/Victory Blvd and didn't want to go to Midtown for the X30, though even then she could take the X14 to the S61/S62/S66.

There's a lady who used to take the X16 over by Hart Blvd and now she takes the X30 n the morning over to the X14 at Manor & Forest because she clearly refuses to use the local bus. The thing is the X30 is going in the opposite direction and then she has to come back the other way on the X14. LOL Coming back I've seen her waiting after she has gotten off of the X14 and she will try to get the X30 to stop so that she can get on instead of having to use the local bus. I assume some of the B/Os know her, so they stop, but some of them don't stop (as they aren't supposed to because it is DROP-OFF ONLY) and I just chuckle.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If brooklyn doesn't want to loose their BM service then they need to use it!!!!!!!! It's that simple

For the life of me, I can not stand when that defense is presented when it comes to service cuts, like it's supposed to rectify matters....

We need to use it.... right... Tell that shit to former x29 riders....

Better yet, you tell me how "brooklyn" is supposed to take the buses that are being taken away from us.....

You know, the ones that we need to use.....

There's a lady who used to take the X16 over by Hart Blvd and now she takes the X30 n the morning over to the X14 at Manor & Forest because she clearly refuses to use the local bus. The thing is the X30 is going in the opposite direction and then she has to come back the other way on the X14. LOL Coming back I've seen her waiting after she has gotten off of the X14 and she will try to get the X30 to stop so that she can get on instead of having to use the local bus. I assume some of the B/Os know her, so they stop, but some of them don't stop (as they aren't supposed to because it is DROP-OFF ONLY) and I just chuckle.

Well, the thing about Manor Road is that it's a big enough stop that somebody's always getting off, so she just has to position herself in a way that the driver can't close the door on her (I've done that plenty of times of the S46. Then again, if I'm doing that, chances are she wouldn't. ;) )

I can't imagine letting local buses pass by to take an express bus for a couple of miles.

For the life of me, I can not stand when that defense is presented when it comes to service cuts, like it's supposed to rectify matters....

We need to use it.... right... Tell that shit to former x29 riders....

Better yet, you tell me how "brooklyn" is supposed to take the buses that are being taken away from us.....

You know, the ones that we need to use.....

Well, the BM routes are generally weaker than the X29, and also, the riders weren't using the buses before service was reduced on the BM buses, so he has a point there.

But yeah, it's not the fault of the people who are using the buses that there isn't enough ridership to support it.

Well, the BM routes are generally weaker than the X29, and also, the riders weren't using the buses before service was reduced on the BM buses, so he has a point there.

But yeah, it's not the fault of the people who are using the buses that there isn't enough ridership to support it.

Checkmate, this sudden love affair you got w/ this guy is disgusting, I gotta tell you.....

The BM routes being weaker than the x29 has f*** all to do with what I'm sayin....

....and IDGAD what the MTA's numbers state either... ridership was going UP on that route when they decided to thin service on it, and eventually can it....

Fact is, You cannot take buses that aren't being provided to you...

Or does he have a point to the contrary to that statement also....

Well, the thing about Manor Road is that it's a big enough stop that somebody's always getting off, so she just has to position herself in a way that the driver can't close the door on her (I've done that plenty of times of the S46. Then again, if I'm doing that, chances are she wouldn't. ;) )

I can't imagine letting local buses pass by to take an express bus for a couple of miles.

Actually that isn't the case with the X30 though. We only stop there in the mornings sometimes to pick up folks or if she is on the bus, but coming back we don't always stop there. Actually the bus isn't all that crowded once we pass Decker Avenue since that's the last bus of the night. She would be better off waiting at say Jewett because that is usually a stop where people get off at even if it is just one or two people. Same thing with the stop after that one.

LOL... I personally think that in areas that don't subways the (MTA) should be forced to do more than just have a hearing when eliminating express buses. I mean really with no express bus some areas have absolutely nothing in terms of transit, esp. since many express buses go in areas that aren't served by anything really, not even a local bus.

LOL... I personally think that in areas that don't subways the MTA should be forced to do more than just have a hearing when eliminating express buses. I mean really with no express bus some areas have absolutely nothing in terms of transit, esp. since many express buses go in areas that aren't served by anything really, not even a local bus.

My thing is, even when they have these hearings, their minds are already made up....

They draw out the process so no one can't up & say "well, you can't say there was no hearing... we didn't leave people in the dark"....

I'm like, No you aint leave people in the dark... but the intent & threat to shut off the damn power was already well planned beforehand - Something they know full well riders have ZERO input in/on....

Action is only taken place AFTER enough patrons (in certain communities) have voiced out their opinions... See the x37/38 & the Bx24....

Checkmate, this sudden love affair you got w/ this guy is disgusting, I gotta tell you.....

The BM routes being weaker than the x29 has f*** all to do with what I'm sayin....

....and IDGAD what the MTA's numbers state either... ridership was going UP on that route when they decided to thin service on it, and eventually can it....

Fact is, You cannot take buses that aren't being provided to you...

Or does he have a point to the contrary to that statement also....

I don't have a "sudden love affair". If more of his posts make sense now than they did before, what's wrong with that? When he says something that makes no sense, I say so, but when he says something that makes sense, I say that as well.

And yeah, you can't take buses that aren't being provided. What's your point? They could double the ridership if they ran 10 times the number of buses they do now, but obviously, that costs money.

And I never disputed anything regarding the X29.

1) Actually that isn't the case with the X30 though. We only stop there in the mornings sometimes to pick up folks or if she is on the bus, but coming back we don't always stop there. Actually the bus isn't all that crowded once we pass Decker Avenue since that's the last bus of the night. She would be better off waiting at say Jewett because that is usually a stop where people get off at even if it is just one or two people. Same thing with the stop after that one.

2) LOL... I personally think that in areas that don't subways the (MTA) should be forced to do more than just have a hearing when eliminating express buses. I mean really with no express bus some areas have absolutely nothing in terms of transit, esp. since many express buses go in areas that aren't served by anything really, not even a local bus.

1) True. Or she could just do it the easier way and take the S48, but I digress...

2) There aren't any areas in the city (other than areas like Todt Hill and Breezy Point that don't want any service) that aren't served by at least a local bus. I mean, the South Shore would be the closest example, and they're not cutting any express service down there.

I mean, some of these routes are really expensive to operate. The BM4 on Saturday has a direct cost per passenger of $40, and a total cost per passenger of $73. Even if it was the only bus in the area, it would still be a tough decision regarding whether or not to cut it (and the only reason it was saved was because it's run by MTA Bus)

I don't have a "sudden love affair". If more of his posts make sense now than they did before, what's wrong with that? When he says something that makes no sense, I say so, but when he says something that makes sense, I say that as well.

And yeah, you can't take buses that aren't being provided. What's your point? They could double the ridership if they ran 10 times the number of buses they do now, but obviously, that costs money.

And I never disputed anything regarding the X29.

Bull... stop telling half-truths... when he was making all those outlandish ideas in the past, you were not gettin after him.... Matter fact, you said you get more annoyed w/ folks that responded to him....

This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I've directed a post to the guy, and here you come swooping through with the cape talkin about oh, he got a point.... Let him fend for himself - you know he's gonna do it anyway....

The f*** you mean what's my point? What I said to him WAS my point.....

He made an all out statement tellin Brooklyn BM riders to use their buses, with all them exclamation points after the fact - as if people are beginning to stop riding the things.... Service is being taking away from them, even though they're still riding them....

....and No you disn't dispute anything about the x29... But telling me the BM routes are weaker than the x29 doesn't make what I said to him any less relevant, or potent....

I don't know about that...

Boy you don't read sarcasm well do you...? ;) LOL

1) True. Or she could just do it the easier way and take the S48, but I digress...

Yeah, well if she's doing all of that then clearly she doesn't want to use the S48. ;) LOL

2) There aren't any areas in the city (other than areas like Todt Hill and Breezy Point that don't want any service) that aren't served by at least a local bus. I mean, the South Shore would be the closest example, and they're not cutting any express service down there.

I mean, some of these routes are really expensive to operate. The BM4 on Saturday has a direct cost per passenger of $40, and a total cost per passenger of $73. Even if it was the only bus in the area, it would still be a tough decision regarding whether or not to cut it (and the only reason it was saved was because it's run by MTA Bus)

Yeah there are areas that don't have local bus service. Parts of Sheepshead Bay/Kips Bay is a perfect example.

My thing is, even when they have these hearings, their minds are already made up....

They draw out the process so no one can't up & say "well, you can't say there was no hearing... we didn't leave people in the dark"....

I'm like, No you aint leave people in the dark... but the intent & threat to shut off the damn power was already well planned beforehand - Something they know full well riders have ZERO input in/on....

Action is only taken place AFTER enough patrons (in certain communities) have voiced out their opinions... See the x37/38 & the Bx24....

Yeah, that's why I said that they should be forced to do more than just have hearings. Quite frankly they should have more requirements in order to eliminate routes, especially seeing that the city gives them monies for the system. I mean some of the cuts that they've made is just utterly ridiculous leaving people stranded and quite frankly I don't see the situation getting any better. I can very well see more cuts happening, even if they're underhanded cuts to force ridership to drop on certain lines and then they give the routes the axe. :mad:

Bull... stop telling half-truths... when he was making all those outlandish ideas in the past, you were not gettin after him.... Matter fact, you said you get more annoyed w/ folks that responded to him....

This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I've directed a post to the guy, and here you come swooping through with the cape talkin about oh, he got a point.... Let him fend for himself - you know he's gonna do it anyway....

He made an all out statement tellin Brooklyn BM riders to use their buses, with all them exclamation points after the fact - as if people are beginning to stop riding the things.... Service is being taking away from them, even though they're still riding them....

....and No you disn't dispute anything about the x29... But telling me the BM routes are weaker than the x29 doesn't make what I said to him any less relevant, or potent....

Yeah, I was more annoyed with them because of how they responded. There are a bunch of posts saying "Your ideas will never work" and things like that. But they didn't say what was specifically wrong with his ideas.

I wasn't annoyed with your responses because at least you gave reasons why they wouldn't work.

And I did dispute things like his S55 extension all the way to Cheesequake and Holmdel.

And yeah, people are still riding those buses, but not in large enough numbers to warrant the service being kept. The BM4 carries less than 100 riders on Saturdays, and I bet some of them could've taken the BM1 and/or BM3.

1) I don't know about that...

2) Boy you don't read sarcasm well do you...? ;) LOL

3) Yeah, well if she's doing all of that then clearly she doesn't want to use the S48. ;) LOL

4) Yeah there are areas that don't have local bus service. Parts of Sheepshead Bay/Kips Bay is a perfect example.

5) Yeah, that's why I said that they should be forced to do more than just have hearings. Quite frankly they should have more requirements in order to eliminate routes, especially seeing that the city gives the monies for the system. I mean some of the cuts that they've made is just utterly ridiculous leaving people stranded and quite frankly I don't see the situation getting any better. I can very well see more cuts happening, even if they're underhanded cuts to force ridership to drop on certain lines and then they give the routes the axe. :mad:

1) Well, there are some ideas that made sense. For example, he said that the BM4 could serve Ocean Parkway to increase ridership, and he did mention the S40/S46 swap, which at least has its merits, as well as the Q79 extension to Hempstead Turnpike.

They may not have been better than the situation now, but at least they make sense.

2) No, I understood what he was saying. He said you can't ride a bus if it got cut, but they weren't riding the buses even before they were cut.

3) I know. But I can't imagine going through all of that trouble just to avoid the local bus. If she wants to do it, that's her problem.

4) Part of it is because the B4 was eliminated and the Belt Parkway blocks the path to the B36. Along Knapp Street is still within walking distance of a bus route. (Google Transit says it's an 8 minute walk, which is the same distance I have to walk to reach any bus)

5) Well, I'll agree with you on having more requirements. As far as the city paying for the routes, it's still taxpayer money being spent. Yeah, you may argue that those people pay more in taxes (which shouldn't even come into this argument), but I doubt those BM4 riders are paying the other $35 in taxes (they obviously pay more than $35, but they also use other services as well)

Sometimes you have to spell things out for him... ;) LOL I got it when you wrote it the first time. I certainly agree though... Totally true... The problem is when people see the BMs being cut they don't get angry about it, they just get on and say that it's a shame. ;) This one lady got on a BM3 going back to the city and she asked the B/O about whether or not they ran later going back to the city in the past and then the B/O said yes and how they're cutting service and would be cutting another run for the next pick as well, and she goes "Ohhhhh, that's such a shame..."

2) No, I understood what he was saying. He said you can't ride a bus if it got cut, but they weren't riding the buses even before they were cut.

Who weren't riding the buses before they got cut.... and when...

I don't get the sense he was just talking about saturday ridership on the BM's, even if he was replyin to via's post..... seems to me that he was makin a general statement, judging by the context of it..... and quite frankly, a shot at BM riders like myself.....

Yeah, I was more annoyed with them because of how they responded. There are a bunch of posts saying "Your ideas will never work" and things like that. But they didn't say what was specifically wrong with his ideas.

I wasn't annoyed with your responses because at least you gave reasons why they wouldn't work.

And I did dispute things like his S55 extension all the way to Cheesequake and Holmdel.

...which stems into what I'm not fully understanding w/ you as of late... Yes there was a time when I was absolutely irate w/ QJT's madness (I even referred to it as spam in some cases), and I do agree that he's eased up on the BS lately....

But you comin to his defense when I make posts to him, as if I'm not, or never did elaborate/touch on/shut down his points... I'm not sure who said it, but we are not picking on the guy... and that's what I think this is about, champ....

You come across as if whenever someone doesn't agree w/ some/some facet of what he says that you may agree with him on, is somehow us picking on him (hence the "he got a point" type of replies).... and I'm sittin here like, nah duke... I just don't agree w/ ole boy....

Yeah, that's why I said that they should be forced to do more than just have hearings. Quite frankly they should have more requirements in order to eliminate routes, especially seeing that the city gives them monies for the system. I mean some of the cuts that they've made is just utterly ridiculous leaving people stranded and quite frankly I don't see the situation getting any better. I can very well see more cuts happening, even if they're underhanded cuts to force ridership to drop on certain lines and then they give the routes the axe.

Which is what I find preposterous, and downright disturbing....

What good is public transportation if you're slowly talking it away from the public? Just to say you have it.... lol....

I hate to sit up here & make doom & gloom type of posts.... but the way I see it, when it comes to service expansion (whether it be by headway or physical route extensions) -slash- betterment, the MTA gives us, the rider, no reason to be optimistic about the future when it comes to buses..... Including the joke that is SBS....

1) Well, there are some ideas that made sense. For example, he said that the BM4 could serve Ocean Parkway to increase ridership, and he did mention the S40/S46 swap, which at least has its merits, as well as the Q79 extension to Hempstead Turnpike.

LOL... Yeah, I'm sorry but I disagree with that S40/S46 swap 100%. Totally unnecessary.

That's not true... They're cutting ALL of the BMs back and some of them DO get decent ridership.

3) I know. But I can't imagine going through all of that trouble just to avoid the local bus. If she wants to do it, that's her problem.

Yeah, well I certainly can and I do it myself to avoid the local bus, although my diversions are slightly different than hers... lol

4) Part of it is because the B4 was eliminated and the Belt Parkway blocks the path to the B36. Along Knapp Street is still within walking distance of a bus route. (Google Transit says it's an 8 minute walk, which is the same distance I have to walk to reach any bus)

Even so there are still areas that aren't served with bus service in Sheepshead Bay/Kips outside of the BM3 well before the B4 was cut and aside from that there are a ton of elderly folks in the area who are not at all fit to be walking long distances like that. Even so, Brooklyn is certainly urban, even the more far out areas, so local bus service is a must.

5) Well, I'll agree with you on having more requirements. As far as the city paying for the routes, it's still taxpayer money being spent. Yeah, you may argue that those people pay more in taxes (which shouldn't even come into this argument), but I doubt those BM4 riders are paying the other $35 in taxes (they obviously pay more than $35, but they also use other services as well)

That has nothing to do with it. The point I was making was if they're going to cut a bus line, they should be forced to say what alternatives they're going to provide so that the area isn't left with anything AND they should be forced to work with the communities affected to see what ideas would best work so that those communities could still be served with some sort of service. Quite frankly the city should have far more say in what happens in terms of transportation in the 5 boroughs. Albany has far too much say in our transit services down here. :mad: :tdown:

Sometimes you have to spell things out for him... ;) LOL I got it when you wrote it the first time. I certainly agree though... Totally true... The problem is when people see the BMs being cut they don't get angry about it, they just get on and say that it's a shame. ;)

This one lady got on a BM3 going back to the city and she asked the B/O about whether or not they ran later going back to the city in the past and then the B/O said yes and how they're cutting service and would be cutting another run for the next pick as well, and she goes "Ohhhhh, that's such a shame..."

as a brooklynite, I do feel that way; the BM's being 2nd fiddle in importance to the x27/28....

as for that "oh, that's such a shame" crack.... right lady, lol....

In other words, that sucks for these people, but it won't affect me as much.... too bad, so sad..... snob mentality at it's finest... That's the type of ppl. who I wish their cars break down in the middle of some hwy where there's poor cell phone reception & no gas station nearby for miles.... These are the type of people that give express bus riders a bad name.... I bet it was said in a nonchalant/uncaring tone too....

When I embark on a bus & see some service announcement, you should see how discouraged I get.... like, ahh great, what are they washing their hands with now.....

as a brooklynite, I do feel that way; the BM's being 2nd fiddle in importance to the x27/28....

In other words, that sucks for these people, but it won't affect me as much.... too bad, so sad..... snob mentality at it's finest... That's the type of ppl. who I wish their cars break down in the middle of some hwy where there's poor cell phone reception & no gas station nearby for miles.... These are the type of people that give express bus riders a bad name.... I bet it was said in a nonchalant/uncaring tone too....

When I embark on a bus & see some service announcement, you should see how discouraged I get.... like, ahh great, what are they washing their hands with now.....

LOL... Yeah, I got the feeling that she used it here and there to go out to the city or whatever, but it's not like her world would end because it was being cut back. She'd probably just drive or whatever, but maybe she wasn't in the mood and figured she'd hop on the express bus instead because she knew that it used to run all the way until 22:00 back to the city on Saturdays and that was going back a good three years or so.

Yeah, anytime I get on and see those announcements on the BMs I get concerned also because they're usually service cuts to all of the BM lines. What really gets me is they say something like "In order to better serve our customers..." and then BAM, service cut and I'm thinking how in the hell does less service "better serve" the customers? ;)

LOL... Yeah, I got the feeling that she used it here and there to go out to the city or whatever, but it's not like her world would end because it was being cut back. She'd probably just drive or whatever, but maybe she wasn't in the mood and figured she'd hop on the express bus instead because she knew that it used to run all the way until 22:00 back to the city on Saturdays and that was going back a good three years or so.

Yeah, anytime I get on and see those announcements on the BMs I get concerned also because they're usually service cuts to all of the BM lines. What really gets me is they say something like "In order to better serve our customers..." and then BAM, service cut and I'm thinking how in the hell does less service "better serve" the customers? ;)

It don't.... and that's how they get (sucker) those that aren't as privy/savvy to it.... as long as their particular run isn't gone, to them, it's no cause for concern....

(btw, I'm now starting to take exp's now in the morning.... as of late, there's been 2 (Q)'s to every (;), so I dunno what that's about)

anyway, lol... Q43Ltd can't stand the wordings/statements/reasonings the MTA uses when service cuts come about.... (I) don't blame him, but w/ me, it's more, the well planned action of cuts before those statements even end up being said, is what gets me.... the thought process goes like:

'We have your best interest in hand.... we still gotta make cuts.... we'll let you have your say in the order of fairness (in their eyes)... we're still making the cuts though

and oh, it's usually the casual exp. riders that got somethin slick to say about service; glad you implicated that.... and for some reason, I think the assumption is (when it comes to the BM's on saturday) there are more casuals than uniques... and to that notion, I simply have to disagree....

BM1 riders have the hardest time reaching Manhattan. Along Avenue K, there's no local bus service, and along Ralph Avenue, it's a long ride on the B47 to reach the subway (as is the case in Mill Basin). If the other rides don't want to take the subway, they can use a local bus to reach the BM1 (the B6/B103 for the BM2, the B44/B49 for the BM3, and the B44 for part of the BM4).

The only areas that don't have a local bus bringing them to the BM1 are Gerritsen Beach (which doesn't get a lot of riders anyway and always has the B31->(Q)).

Plus, you're overlooking the fact that BM1 riders gain service. They get more frequent service and Sunday service (which also affects riders in the other neighborhoods because now they can take a local bus to the express bus)

And you know I think the B4 should be restored no matter what.

Never knew that the BM1 has sunday service. I've lived in Canarsie/Mill Basin for years, and there's NO BM1 service on sundays.I know there's no BM2 service, but BM1?. I need to see a schedule for sunday service for the BM1..

It don't.... and that's how they get (sucker) those that aren't as privy/savvy to it.... as long as their particular run isn't gone, to them, it's no cause for concern....

(btw, I'm now starting to take exp's now in the morning.... as of late, there's been 2 (Q)'s to every (B), so I dunno what that's about)

anyway, lol... Q43Ltd can't stand the wordings/statements/reasonings the MTA uses when service cuts come about.... (I) don't blame him, but w/ me, it's more, the well planned action of cuts before those statements even end up being said, is what gets me.... the thought process goes like:

'We have your best interest in hand.... we still gotta make cuts.... we'll let you have your say in the order of fairness (in their eyes)... we're still making the cuts though

and oh, it's usually the casual exp. riders that got somethin slick to say about service; glad you implicated that.... and for some reason, I think the assumption is (when it comes to the BM's on saturday) there are more casuals than uniques... and to that notion, I simply have to disagree....

lol@ casual express bus riders...

As for the number of (Q)'s to the number of (B)'s, it seems like it has always been that way, going back to when I lived in Sheepshead Bay. Catching a (B) was always like a dream. Coming home I would usually catch it at Newkirk Ave (aka "Newkirk Plaza" ;)) only if one happened to pull into the station there. Going to the city, the (B) was always a rarity at Sheepshead Bay train station. It's like they schedule them to run right behind a (Q) and then of course there's next to no one to pick up except for those willing to wait for a (B) and by then you would've been better off just catching a damn (Q) train. ;)

As for the number of (Q)'s to the number of (B)'s, it seems like it has always been that way, going back to when I lived in Sheepshead Bay. Catching a (B) was always like a dream. Coming home I would usually catch it at Newkirk Ave (aka "Newkirk Plaza" ;)). Going to the city, the (B) was always a rarity at Sheepshead Bay train station. It's like they schedule them to run right behind a (Q) and then of course there's next to no one to pick up except for those willing to wait for a (B) and by then you would've been better off just catching a damn (Q) train. ;)

*smh* @ newkirk plaza.... I have to rescind what I said about the pigeon problem there a few months back.... they're still shittin all about the place, esp. towards the CI "end" of both platforms... coming back from nathans last week, some poor bastard got splacked as he was entering the (Q) I was on...

I think they try to schedule them to alternate also, but the prollem seems to be that (B)'s are arriving and/or leaving Brighton Beach late.... that would explain why we're gettin 2 Q's to a B in the mornings..... and I say, in the past 3 weeks or so, I've just been missing B's, and my waits for the next one have gotten longer....

Don't know how it is in the opposite direction, b/c I simply refuse to wait on the Brooklyn bound 6th av platform in the afternoon/evening.... too many drunks, college students, and that damn drummer boy bangin on the effin buckets !!!

Sometimes you have to spell things out for him... ;) LOL I got it when you wrote it the first time. I certainly agree though... Totally true... The problem is when people see the BMs being cut they don't get angry about it, they just get on and say that it's a shame. B) This one lady got on a BM3 going back to the city and she asked the B/O about whether or not they ran later going back to the city in the past and then the B/O said yes and how they're cutting service and would be cutting another run for the next pick as well, and she goes "Ohhhhh, that's such a shame..."

Yeah, I got it too. Obviously, you can't use a bus if it isn't provided to you. See the first couple of sentences of B35's post below. He's not disagreeing about Saturday ridership being low.

1) Who weren't riding the buses before they got cut.... and when...

I don't get the sense he was just talking about saturday ridership on the BM's, even if he was replyin to via's post..... seems to me that he was makin a general statement, judging by the context of it..... and quite frankly, a shot at BM riders like myself.....

2) ...which stems into what I'm not fully understanding w/ you as of late... Yes there was a time when I was absolutely irate w/ QJT's madness (I even referred to it as spam in some cases), and I do agree that he's eased up on the BS lately....

But you comin to his defense when I make posts to him, as if I'm not, or never did elaborate/touch on/shut down his points... I'm not sure who said it, but we are not picking on the guy... and that's what I think this is about, champ....

You come across as if whenever someone doesn't agree w/ some/some facet of what he says that you may agree with him on, is somehow us picking on him (hence the "he got a point" type of replies).... and I'm sittin here like, nah duke... I just don't agree w/ ole boy....

1) Alright. So the BMs see decent weekday ridership, correct?

2) You gotta love those huge walls of text he used to post. :eek:

And what can I say? There are some posts of his that I agree with, but by saying "He has a point" (or my other common expression "To be fair"), I'm letting it be known that it might differ from a lot of other people's opinions.

1) LOL... Yeah, I'm sorry but I disagree with that S40/S46 swap 100%. Totally unnecessary.

2) That's not true... They're cutting ALL of the BMs back and some of them DO get decent ridership.

3) Yeah, well I certainly can and I do it myself to avoid the local bus, although my diversions are slightly different than hers... lol

4) Even so there are still areas that aren't served with bus service in Sheepshead Bay/Kips outside of the BM3 well before the B4 was cut and aside from that there are a ton of elderly folks in the area who are not at all fit to be walking long distances like that. Even so, Brooklyn is certainly urban, even the more far out areas, so local bus service is a must.

5) That has nothing to do with it. The point I was making was if they're going to cut a bus line, they should be forced to say what alternatives they're going to provide so that the area isn't left with anything AND they should be forced to work with the communities affected to see what ideas would best work so that those communities could still be served with some sort of service. Quite frankly the city should have far more say in what happens in terms of transportation in the 5 boroughs. Albany has far too much say in our transit services down here. :mad: :tdown:

1) One question: Have you ever used either of those lines? I have plenty of times (especially the S46), so at least I have the right to make an opinion on it.

2) Not according to the stats. ;) And we all know that's what they base service reductions on.

3) And that's your right.

4) No, not really. Like I said, the part of Sheepshead Bay (I always thought Kips Bay was in Manhattan) that is furthest from a local bus is about as far from a bus as I am. I'm not saying it's ideal (which is part of the reason why I want the S93 extended), but it's doable.

5) Alright, well, technically, they didn't leave anybody stranded. Sure, they used the numbers they wanted in order to prove that (like saying the B4 is less than 1/4 mile from the B36 when that's barely true at the points where you can cross the Belt Parkway, let along the parts that are isolated)

I mean, the thing is that everybody's going to fight to save their route, and they'll claim that cutting it will leave them stranded, when that is only true for a handful of cases.

I was going to say "But wouldn't she have to take a more inconvenient route", but then I saw Via Garibaldi's post mentioning that she would probably drive if they cut the bus.

Never knew that the BM1 has sunday service. I've lived in Canarsie/Mill Basin for years, and there's NO BM1 service on sundays.I know there's no BM2 service, but BM1?. I need to see a schedule for sunday service for the BM1..

Here you go (insert photoshopped BM1 schedule here)

Seriously, though, those areas still have service within 1/2 mile. Depending on where they are, they have the B6 or B41. They're no worse off than I am in terms of coverage. I'm not saying it's ideal, but they're not being stranded.

As for the number of (Q)'s to the number of (B)'s, it seems like it has always been that way, going back to when I lived in Sheepshead Bay. Catching a (B) was always like a dream. Coming home I would usually catch it at Newkirk Ave (aka "Newkirk Plaza" B)) only if one happened to pull into the station there. Going to the city, the (B) was always a rarity at Sheepshead Bay train station. It's like they schedule them to run right behind a (Q) and then of course there's next to no one to pick up except for those willing to wait for a (B) and by then you would've been better off just catching a damn (Q) train. B)

I was always an expressaholic, so I would always wait for the (B) to pull out of Brighton Beach as 2-3 (Q) trains passed by.

Of course, I was a little kid (I lived in Brooklyn from when I was 3 to when I was 9), so I didn't need to get anywhere fast (and neither did my mother when she brought me on the trips).

*smh* @ newkirk plaza.... I have to rescind what I said about the pigeon problem there a few months back.... they're still shittin all about the place, esp. towards the CI "end" of both platforms... coming back from nathans last week, some poor bastard got splacked as he was entering the (Q) I was on...

I think they try to schedule them to alternate also, but the prollem seems to be that (B)'s are arriving and/or leaving Brighton Beach late.... that would explain why we're gettin 2 Q's to a B..... and I say, in the past 3 weeks or so, I've just been missing B's, and my waits for the next one have gotten longer....

LOL! So that means the redone "Newkirk Plaza" will be loaded with bird sh*t like back in the day in no time... That station always disgusted me and sadly enough it took far too long for it to be redone. As far as the (;) goes the whole late/delayed thing was a problem back in the day too. The (Q)'s were a problem from time to time too and then they'd have some of them run express which was always kind of cool to see... One local (Q) at Sheepshead Bay and then another one on the express track. :cool:

Yeah, I got it too. Obviously, you can't use a bus if it isn't provided to you. See the first couple of sentences of B35's post below. He's not disagreeing about Saturday ridership being low.

The point (which seemed inobvious to you at the time) was, service is being taken away from riders..... I know you say you're not good at reading between the lines, but some things shouldn't have to be spelled out letter by letter - Especially for as long as you been posting on transit related forums.....

Anyway, Saturday ridership is low; you won't get an argument from me on that..... My whole thing is, they're cutting service across the board on the BM's on saturday's.... It's sending a message, the way I see it - They really don't want to run any weekend service on the BM's....

They really don't want to run any brooklyn express service on weekends....

1) Alright. So the BMs see decent weekday ridership, correct?

2) You gotta love those huge walls of text he used to post. :eek:

And what can I say? There are some posts of his that I agree with, but by saying "He has a point" (or my other common expression "To be fair"), I'm letting it be known that it might differ from a lot of other people's opinions.

1) AFAIC, yeh....

I don't know about the figures or w/e, but the way I see it, the BM1 gets the most usage (even though I'm closer to the 2, I consider the BM1 my route...), then the 2, the 3, then the 4, then the 5..... ppl. tend to take 4's when it comes before the 1 or the 3.... only ppl that take 2's interchangably are the cortelyou rd riders.... the 5 is in a league of its own

(although I do think there's a need for maybe 2-3 peak direction Canarsie-Midtown expresses via Queens.... it'd end over there on E 80th & L... I have a pretty good idea of what it would do, even though I don't have a map in front of me right now.... b/c those BM2's to starrett city aint cuttin it)....

The BM1-3 carry the heaviest... there's a dropoff b/w the number of ppl's on 3's, to the number of ppl on 4's (on average).....

If there's a late BM4, you won't see standees on it....

If there's a late BM1 or 2, good luck finding a seat.... I was on a packed BM2 last night, 2 standees after we left manhattan..... don't underestimate those later runs (the ones after like 7:30pm).....

LOL! So that means the redone "Newkirk Plaza" will be loaded with bird sh*t like back in the day in no time... That station always disgusted me and sadly enough it took far too long for it to be redone.

As far as the (B) goes the whole late/delayed thing was a problem back in the day too. The (Q)'s were a problem from time to time too and then they'd have some of them run express which was always kind of cool to see... One local (Q) at Sheepshead Bay and then another one on the express track. :cool:

I got used to that after a while coming home from grady (seeing D's on the local & the express track) when those kids used to pull the goddamn emergency brake.... thing was, the Q express would be right behind the D on the express track...... I wonder if kids still do that stupid shit out there; pulling the brakes & breaking in to the c/r's cab & advertising parties on the PA system....

Yep, b/c them nasty things done made newkirk av/plaza, home..... I can bet, from even farther back than we were born...... may as well call it pigeon plaza....

I mean, when you see mad bird shit all over the place, you're bound to find birds shacking up all over the place... it's like they're marking territory..... And even though the station is being fixed up/repainted, there's nothin being done to deter pigeons away from the station (not as far as I can see anyway) - which defeats the purpose of doing all that painting....

The point (which seemed inobvious to you at the time) was, service is being taken away from riders..... I know you say you're not good at reading between the lines, but some things shouldn't have to be spelled out letter by letter - Especially for as long as you been posting on transit related forums.....

Anyway, Saturday ridership is low; you won't get an argument from me on that..... My whole thing is, they're cutting service across the board on the BM's on saturday's.... It's sending a message, the way I see it - They really don't want to run any weekend service on the BM's....

That's exactly how I see it too, and what even more ridiculous is that they're only running a bus every hour, so I mean really, there is nothing left to cut.

I don't know about the figures or w/e, but the way I see it, the BM1 gets the most usage (even though I'm closer to the 2, I consider the BM1 my route...), then the 2, the 3, then the 4, then the 5..... ppl. tend to take 4's when it comes before the 1 or the 3.... only ppl that take 2's interchangably are the cortelyou rd riders.... the 5 is in a league of its own

(although I do think there's a need for maybe 2-3 peak direction Canarsie-Midtown expresses via Queens.... it'd end over there on E 80th & L... I have a pretty good idea of what it would do, even though I don't have a map in front of me right now.... b/c those BM2's to starrett city aint cuttin it)....

The BM1-3 carry the heaviest... there's a dropoff b/w the number of ppl's on 3's, to the number of ppl on 4's (on average).....

If there's a late BM4, you won't see standees on it....

If there's a late BM1 or 2, good luck finding a seat.... I was on a packed BM2 last night, 2 standees after we left manhattan..... don't underestimate those later runs (the ones after like 7:30pm).....

Yeah, I watch the ridership on the BMs during the week and the BM1 and BM2 get very good usage. I've also used a few "Super Express" BM3s from Midtown and those aren't packed, but do see decent usage. The BM4s can also get decent usage as well during the week depending on the run, but I've never been on an SRO BM before.

Yep, b/c them nasty things done made newkirk av/plaza, home..... I can bet, from even farther back than we were born...... may as well call it pigeon plaza....

I mean, when you see mad bird shit all over the place, you're bound to find birds shacking up all over the place... it's like they're marking territory..... And even though the station is being fixed up/repainted, there's nothin being done to deter pigeons away from the station (not as far as I can see anyway) - which defeats the purpose of doing all that painting....

lol... That's the (MTA) for you. If anything once the station goes back to sh*t again, they'll just slap some paint on the walls and call it a day. Paint is their #1 answer... Far cheaper than actually addressing the problems.

1) AFAIC, yeh....

Well, like I said, I'd agree with cutting the BM2/3/4/5, but the BM1 should stay to serve that area of Brooklyn. People can drive or take local buses to access it, and like you said, it has the highest ridership out of all of the BMs.

With an off-peak discount, and the riders from all of the other express routes, I can see the BM1 getting decent usage.

I don't think I mentioned this before publicly (though I mentioned it to VG8), but what do you think of this for the next fare hike (not that I would like one, but we all know it's going to happen sooner or later)

Subway/local bus fare: $2.50

Express bus fare: $6.50 peak and $5 off-peak.

Actually, I think it would be better if we had that fare structure now, but there was a 20% bonus. The local bus rides (with the bonus) would still come out to be about $2.10, and the average express fare would remain the same. Plus, they get the extra $0.25 from riders paying cash on local buses.

So would you send the BM5 for one exit on the Belt Parkway and then have it end at Avenue L/80th Street?

lol... That's the (MTA) for you. If anything once the station goes back to sh*t again, they'll just slap some paint on the walls and call it a day. Paint is their #1 answer... Far cheaper than actually addressing the problems.

And their #2 solution is probably duct tape. B)

If I become a civil engineer and end up working for them, I will make sure they continue with that policy. :(:(

MTA Worker: That wall looks really unstable

Me: Ah, don't worry. We'll put some paint and duct tape and it'll be good as new.

(fast forward a week later to photo of crumbled wall, which caused massive delays and injuries and cost the MTA more money than if they had done it right originally)

Archived