Car buying question?

Shortline Bus

Hey guys i know this is a transit site but since i live in the woods i need to ask this question/advice . After several months of renting cars (aka not having my own car)i am about to buy my next 'used' car and need your advice as i am no car expert. I have about $5,000 to spend and looking at a mid size/full size cars anywhere from say between the years 2001-2006. Also car mileage that has at no more than 100,000 miles. I am not asking of course for leads for car selling ( I have leads on my own lol) i just wanted advice on that type of autos that you or you know someone else who had a good realible car.

I am leaning towards cars such as in no order HYUNDAI Sonanta, Buick Century, Honda Accord, Nissian Atlima or Toyota Camry. Just wanted to hear if you or you know someone that knows any of those models and which one(s) should i consider buying. Also having hard time finding websites in which actually owners would comments so a website on that would also be great to post..

Thanks in advance.:(

you might need to move your time scale a little, accoruing to Kelly's a 06 Sonata is vauled about $10,000. It's 01 counterpart bring's it down more into your range, at $4,000.

wow. i did not know Sonata has gotten so popular:eek:. Still i am 'open minded' and thus why i am intrestred in any of those great mid size cars between preferably between '01 and '06. Still thanks Kamen for that info.

You could say I'm more car savvy then transit (though I do enjoy transit.)

For the budget you have ($5000), you can pretty much scratch off 2005+. From what I understand Camry, Accord and Altima holds up to their value pretty long. Secondly, the Sonata had a boom after 2005 as well, but I'm sure you can pick one up pre-2005 for $5000. I'm not too much of a fan of Buick's so that's your own personal choice and should research them more.

Secondly if you think you live in a not-so-good neighborhood, I do not really suggest an Accord or Camry. It comes to my understanding that those 2 specifically of the bunch you've selected are probably the easiest cars to break into pre-2005, and of course the number one in my book would be the Civic's. Personally out of the bunch you've selected I'd probably recommend an Altima, (03-04 for your price range.)

Now, for the miles, you're specifically looking for 100,000 or less miles. Honestly that's fairytale land for you, especially that you are only having a $5000 budget. The only possible way I can see you snag a car with less than 100,000 miles for $5k would be buying a car from an elder or the car has serious body work to be done.

I've worked in a few shops and I can run by them and see if they have anything that you are looking for, for a hopefully good price. I can't guarantee it for $5k. Like I said before, with that budget, you would most likely score something from 2001-2003 for any Altima, Accord or Camry (Again my personal choice would be an Altima.)

Websites is sub-par in my eyes as well. You could try searching some forums that hosts these cars. I don't think I can post them here, but I can PM you a forum that would have Nissan Altima's for sale.

Thanks for info buddy. I may PM you in next few days on that issue.

Actually i live in upstate Ducthess County, NY so crime is not so much a huge issue in my town. However i still have friends/cousins in my old 'hood' in Brooklyn near Coney Island. I usually visit the 'city' at least couple of times a month. Need a new car for my teaching asst. gig and also going to Grad college in Rockland County 1x a week.

On my preference of cars. I only listed a Buick Century since years ago my first ever car i owned was a 1989 Lesabre. My sister gave me as a used car a few years later around 1995-'96. It lasted me 8 years after with very little problems, before i sold it in 2004. I know Buick are arguably among the best American made cars along with Caddys and Lincolns so that why i listed them. Plus my sister co-owns with her husband a 2001 Toyota Camry and has worked great with no problems other than regular maintence i.e oil changes. Plus one of my brothers owns a 2004 Honda Accord he loves to drive with. Thus why i am confused at the choices and asked this question:confused:.

Also, i think a smaller midsize like a Civic won't work for me since i am a midget in height at 6 feet 4 inches & 220 pounds lol . My last car was a 1996 Chevy Minivan that a few months back i had to get rid of since it's transmission got blown out.

Again i am not expecting much for $5 grand. Just stating what i am looking for as i search for another car that hopefully will last for last 3-4 years for work/Grad School, and grocery shopping safely from point (A)-point (:(. On any long trips i.e to see family & friends in Canada, Virgina or Fla. i will still rent a car.

Still some intresting info peacemak3r. I may PM you in a few days, though so thanks for reply:tup:.

You could say I'm more car savvy then transit (though I do enjoy transit.)

For the budget you have ($5000), you can pretty much scratch off 2005+. From what I understand Camry, Accord and Altima holds up to their value pretty long. Secondly, the Sonata had a boom after 2005 as well, but I'm sure you can pick one up pre-2005 for $5000. I'm not too much of a fan of Buick's so that's your own personal choice and should research them more.

Secondly if you think you live in a not-so-good neighborhood, I do not really suggest an Accord or Camry. It comes to my understanding that those 2 specifically of the bunch you've selected are probably the easiest cars to break into pre-2005, and of course the number one in my book would be the Civic's. Personally out of the bunch you've selected I'd probably recommend an Altima, (03-04 for your price range.)

Now, for the miles, you're specifically looking for 100,000 or less miles. Honestly that's fairytale land for you, especially that you are only having a $5000 budget. The only possible way I can see you snag a car with less than 100,000 miles for $5k would be buying a car from an elder or the car has serious body work to be done.

I've worked in a few shops and I can run by them and see if they have anything that you are looking for, for a hopefully good price. I can't guarantee it for $5k. Like I said before, with that budget, you would most likely score something from 2001-2003 for any Altima, Accord or Camry (Again my personal choice would be an Altima.)

Websites is sub-par in my eyes as well. You could try searching some forums that hosts these cars. I don't think I can post them here, but I can PM you a forum that would have Nissan Altima's for sale.

I recommend Toyota, they last a long time. We had toyotas from 1989 that lasted till at least 2006

No doubt it will be in the 'mix' foxie. I am little surprised that even with the huge negative fallout from the media/public after their huge mechanical problems, the prices for used cars from sources like craigslist and auto sites is quiet high. Even a 1999 Camry with 100,000 miles in good shape is at least $3,000 or more on the market.

Again let you know what happens.

It's becuase they spent all thier time and money on thier F1 team. Thier last champsionship had been constructor in 1983, and then spent the next 15 seasons getting thier rears kicked by McLaren and Williams. they spent even longer having the brits beat them at Driver, 1980-1999. It takes about 1.5 million dollars to cut off about half a second on your lap times.

besides, why would you want something that looks like this [pic] when you can have this [pic]

Hey hey hey, don't knock the old school Ferraris, the F40 was one of the BEST, if not the best car from them because it was Enzo Ferrari's last car before he kicked the bucket

No doubt it will be in the 'mix' foxie. I am little surprised that even with the huge negative fallout from the media/public after their huge mechanical problems, the prices for used cars from sources like craigslist and auto sites is quiet high. Even a 1999 Camry with 100,000 miles in good shape is at least $3,000 or more on the market.

Again let you know what happens.

cuz those mechanical problems were nothing but BS, most of teh cases were people who dont know how to drive, but congress hammered Toyota over it so they can move General Motors back to the #1 spot cuz at the time the federal govt had a stake in GM as part of the bailout.

When searching via CraigsList, try to search via Car Owners, they would tend to be cheaper but be sure to bring your mechanic or anyone that would know cars while inspecting the cars. If you search "ALL" cars then dealers would show up and chances are their cars would be $1-2K above average price.

Also when dealing with private owners, you can possibly talk down the price when you see small problems. (Say small fixable rust spots or any type of leakage and such.)

The best GTR Skyline ever made would still in my opinion would be that last model Z-Tune they released as the final model of the R34 series. Other then that I would only like to actually own a R32 (Whether it be a GT-S or GT-R) or the old classic Skyline 2000 GT-R.

I'm not a fan of the nissans but the gtr stole my heart. Always liked the supras, especially the ones you see on you tube moded to the tits. I would die to own a last gen virgin turbo supra red.

I'm looking right now at a turbo kit for my accord but its very expensive. I'll just go with headers and a Magnaflow exhuast. Maybe some racing pullys to relieve engine strain.

Porsche is German. Cayenne's are very common, and quite frankly most of them are leased anyway. 911's are more uncommon but seeing it's NY, you'll see your fair share. You could say I live in a middle-classed area as well, but I got guys here with Bentley's, Mercedes S Classes, and a Rolls Royce here and there. I've seen some Lamborghini's, Ferrari's and Maserati's. I've yet to see an Aston Martin roam these streets though. Most of the time almost every car I see are leased or bought off from a previous lease.

I'd love to see a Veyron roam these kind of streets as a DD but considering NY has one of the worse roads possible, a real car enthusiast would not bring one here.

The Cayenne is a horrid waste of metal. I know Porsche has a rich racing history with the 911, but about 80% of people that have heard of the marque couldn't care less. I believe that Porsche wanted to market a car to less successful balding men in their mid-30s who wanted to have a Porsche (when it wasn't anywhere near a 911).

Also, if you've seen a 911's interior, the ignition being to the left of the steering wheel is derived from the Porsche 917 racecar at Le Mans. Back then, drivers ran across the straight and started their cars, etc. manually, and Porsche placed the ignition to the left so that the right hand could be used for putting the car into gear. This is still seen in 911s today.

A British racer rushed and never buckled up, and he was killed within the first hour of the race.

In all seriousness, you should be glad with what you have, whether it is an AUDI (Acquired Using Daddy's Income) or grandma's old beater from the early '80s. There's no need for having a sports car as a DD...

I'm not a fan of the nissans but the gtr stole my heart. Always liked the supras, especially the ones you see on you tube moded to the tits. I would die to own a last gen virgin turbo supra red.

I'm looking right now at a turbo kit for my accord but its very expensive. I'll just go with headers and a Magnaflow exhuast. Maybe some racing pullys to relieve engine strain.

Nice to know i'm not the only Honda head here haha...I currently have an '03 RSX Type-S...haven't modded it yet tho. I do miss my old '96 Integra I did everything to it: full suspension, exhaust and just got into modding the motor till I sold it...now boost seems to be the only option for my RSX...oh and some decent coilovers that macpherson strut setup really throws off the handling!

Nice to know i'm not the only Honda head here haha...I currently have an '03 RSX Type-S...haven't modded it yet tho. I do miss my old '96 Integra I did everything to it: full suspension, exhaust and just got into modding the motor till I sold it...now boost seems to be the only option for my RSX...oh and some decent coilovers that macpherson strut setup really throws off the handling!

If I get coil overs will the car sit on the ground? I don't want that. I want to do all the ball joints and struts fron and rear. I'm trying to keep that stock, classy look.

In most cases, if not all, coil-overs would give it an inch or two drop. If you want to keep a stock look, then just get some springs on aftermarket struts. You won't get a dramatic drop but you would get a better feel but with a more stockier look.

Ball-joints and stuff, Energy Suspension is the way to go. I had a set with my 240sx and it worked wonders. But hopefully you a friend that owns a shop because some shops rape prices when it comes to ball-joint/bushing replacing and such.

I myself am not a Honda/Acura type of guy unless it's a S2000 or NSX, occasionally a EK9. I'm more of a Nissan/Subaru type of guy though. However I'm driving a Lincoln currently, haha.

Archived