Could system-wide platform doors be in the future for the NYC Subway?

R68 Subway Car

Guest lance25
I was just mulling over this. The (MTA) has proposed installing them on Second Avenue Subway and (7) Extension. Could this be implemented system-wide and if so, would you guys here support it? Please debate this respectfully.

Platform screen doors (PFDs) could only work with a homogenous fleet. Right now, there are too many varying car classes with different places where the doors open.

Also, as stated previously, it's really an unnecessary expense since while people falling on the tracks have increased, it's still at a relatively low number. It's not like dozens or hundreds of people wind up on the tracks each day or something.

Guest lance25
Its not going to stop people from going to the tracks either. If they want to commit suicide via. the subway, they will find ways to do so.

Ain't that the truth...

Platform screen doors are an unnecessary expense that the MTA should avoid spending money on right now. Not only that, they will be totally impractical until the subway has a uniform fleet in each division. Money that would be spent on PFDs could be better spent on other things, like extending the subways even further in the city.

Next to impossible if you would ask me. 3 reasons.

1- Financing. Who would pay for this?

2- Implementation. It's too late, if the stations were designed to have platform doors, then installation would be easier. But with what we have, the doors would take away precious space and prevent flow of air, which would result in crowded and unpleasantly warm stations. It also would be a pain to install them on above ground stations.

3- Operation. It would require Train Operators to be extremely precise, to line up to the doors and the doors would have to be maintained as well, causing us to return to bulletin #1

My quiestion is: Are there actually any benefits from having platform doors? Prevent some 12/9s maybe, other than that, I see no benefit of spending billions of dollars, the money that could be better spend on better maintenance and better equipment, for both workers and the passengers.

Well I look at it as a Maybe - No.

1. With how some of these T/O's haul ass into some stations and don't always stop precisely it wouldn't work out.

2. Consider maintenance costs. With all theses gangsters, you could see broken glass everywhere, alot of graffiti, and all that other stuff.

3. Some platforms are too narrow. Adding these doors would make it worse.

I'm not to fond of the idea

If people still want to commit suicide in the subway they will break the glass with whatever crap they can find (maybe a chair or something), and then hop in that way. Screen doors won't stop them, and the MTA certainly isn't going to spend millions (or because it's the MTA, it'll be BILLIONS) on indestructible glass.

All your arguments against the PSD's are stupid , NYC is the only major metro that has no stations without them. Were becoming the laughing stock of the world , and the New Yorker is the problem. You guys don't like change , one day your just going to have to suck it up and live with it. They can install them and test them on the (L) & (7) lines. Hopefully all the Newer stations along the SAS and 7 Extension have PSD's. Suicides tend to go down or be eliminated when PSD's are put in , look at London , Paris , Hong Kong , Tokyo , and Seoul all have PSD's.

All your arguments against the PSD's are stupid , NYC is the only major metro that has no stations without them. Were becoming the laughing stock of the world , and the New Yorker is the problem. You guys don't like change , one day your just going to have to suck it up and live with it. They can install them and test them on the (L) & (7) lines. Hopefully all the Newer stations along the SAS and 7 Extension have PSD's. Suicides tend to go down or be eliminated when PSD's are put in , look at London , Paris , Hong Kong , Tokyo , and Seoul all have PSD's.

Ohh, wise guy huh?

Are you going to pay for them doors? thought so

When I take the subway to get places, I don't care about who is laughing at me, if any.

You have called people's arguments dull, yet your arguments prove that you might have to take the crown.

And about the suicide rate, did you actually make a study or an experiment to prove your point? All this sounds to me like a ton of immature B.S.

and whats your arguement? just because other cities have them that means its instantly a good idea. No other city has a Subway quite like ours, featuring local and express operation, and a varied fleet of various sizes that run on the same route.

and whats your arguement? just because other cities have them that means its instantly a good idea. No other city has a Subway quite like ours, featuring local and express operation, and a varied fleet of various sizes that run on the same route.

Your right , Tokyo and Paris have larger systems then us and have PSD's on the highly used lines. As for express service and local service , yes we are the only subway with that. But why can't NY have PSD's on the some of the lines? I'm not saying all , but some? PSD's also block out the excessive and damaging noise that can found at some stations. There are no arguments that are valid when you really look into the facts and other things. As for fanning , you can still fan with PSD's , and with AC. I have a feeling we will get PSD's on some lines by 2020 , the Major problem will be the New Yorker accepting them and the employees who will whine and moan about having to line up the trains.

Your right , Tokyo and Paris have larger systems then us and have PSD's on the highly used lines. As for express service and local service , yes we are the only subway with that. But why can't NY have PSD's on the some of the lines? I'm not saying all , but some? PSD's also block out the excessive and damaging noise that can found at some stations. There are no arguments that are valid when you really look into the facts and other things. As for fanning , you can still fan with PSD's , and with AC. I have a feeling we will get PSD's on some lines by 2020 , the Major problem will be the New Yorker accepting them and the employees who will whine and moan about having to line up the trains.

and if you wanna bring up railfanning, which I wasnt even mentioning, no its not possible with platform screens, try getting a decent train photo with those stupid things in the way. With all the things they could spend their money on, I feel its stupid to bend over backwards becasue a few people want to off themselves down in the Subway. Rather spend the money on cleaning and painitng the stations properly, getting more countdown clocks, finally retiring certain car fleets that are miles past their prime, or restoring service that was cut. The (MTA) has to spend a considerable amount of money now on repairing the Port Jervis line which was destroyed partially in the storm, so that is going to eat into the capital budget.

No other major North American system has platform screens, Montreal doesnt, Boston doesnt, nor does Washington.

This won't work. Despite the $$$, the subway stations here are in very bad condition. Some stations leak badly...

I mean, if you were to put screen doors at a subway station AT LEAST make the subway station look better...The subway stations here look as beat up and ugly/dirty as HELL. Don't forget we have thousands of rats here. Unless the (MTA) overhauls stations and prevent rats (which will probably NEVER happen), no. Just no.

This won't work. Despite the $$$, the subway stations here are in very bad condition. Some stations leak badly...

I mean, if you were to put screen doors at a subway station AT LEAST make the subway station look better...The subway stations here look as beat up and ugly/dirty as HELL. Don't forget we have thousands of rats here. Unless the (MTA) overhauls stations and prevent rats (which will probably NEVER happen), no. Just no.

I dont agree with their idea to ban food from the subway, as there have been many times I have chowed down on snacks and even a mcdonalds meal on both the subway and LIRR. Its just a convienient place if im heading somehwere to eat food or drink on.

Your right , Tokyo and Paris have larger systems then us and have PSD's on the highly used lines. As for express service and local service , yes we are the only subway with that.

And don't forget, Tokyo and Paris shut down at night. We don't. We run 24 hours a day, seven days a week. How would you maintain them?

Archived