Bloody weekend: 24 shot in 24 hours prompting Mayor Bloomberg to call for tougher gun laws

mark1447

Twenty-four New Yorkers were hit by gunfire, one fatally, over 24 hours of violence this weekend, prompting Mayor Bloomberg to call the bloody stretch "unconscionable" and demand action from Washington.

The eruption of shootings from 6 a.m. Saturday to 6 a.m. Sunday left the mayor livid and the parents of three wounded children distraught and angry.

Police said the two dozen victims were shot in 14 separate incidents in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. As of last night, no arrests had been made in any of the shootings.

"These people come with guns and shoot at anyone. They don't care if there are children around," said Charles Walters, 53, whose 11-year-old son, Shaquan, was the youngest of eight people wounded early yesterday at a backyard party in the Bronx by a lone gunman.

Shaquan was shot in the right leg and was recovering yesterday at Jacobi Medical Center. A 14-year-old girl was shot in the back and a 13-year-old girl was wounded in the left thigh in the 3:39 a.m. barrage.

Five young men - ages 17, 18, 19, 21 and 24 - were also wounded in the shooting on E. 221st St. in Williamsbridge and taken to local hospitals, cops said. They were expected to survive.

As police hunted for the suspect, who they identified as 17-year-old Oneil Dasilva of Mount Vernon, Bloomberg went ballistic yesterday, demanding stiffer federal gun laws.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/09/05/2011-09-05_bloody_weekend_24_shot_in_24_hours_prompting_mayor_bloomberg_to_call_for_tougher.html#ixzz1X6oZ30wf

Yeah, how about he call for some more damn police?!?! :mad: Robberies are up on the subways, rapes are up around the city and now we've got shootings on the rise. Crime generally goes up when the economy is in a recession, so the increase in crime shouldn't come as any surprise.

With so many New Yorkers especially young adults out of work, I am surprised this past summer (at least on NYPD records)did not have much more violence.

With so many New Yorkers especially young adults out of work, I am surprised this past summer (at least on NYPD records)did not have much more violence.

That's probably because unemployment benefits have been extended for many folks, and many have opted to go to college and get degrees. Others are working, albeit jobs that they are overqualified for or don't want to do. ;)

Usually I attend the Labor Day Parade and participate at the Jouvert activities with my entourage, but wind up hanging with my other half for the weekend. After attending those events for about 18+ years (since I was a lil man) it just isn't as appealing to me anymore, not enough to risk being shot. And 24 "shots fired, man down" codes is enough for me. I'm good.

This is just more of a reason the city needs to shut down the parade (not that I want this to happen) and to cut back costs with overtime in NYPD as they have an unimaginable amount of officers on deck at the parade right now, covering everything and risking their lives.

Usually I attend the Labor Day Parade and participate at the Jouvert activities with my entourage, but wind up hanging with my other half for the weekend. After attending those events for about 18+ years (since I was a lil man) it just isn't as appealing to me anymore, not enough to risk being shot. And 24 "shots fired, man down" codes is enough for me. I'm good.

This is just more of a reason the city needs to shut down the parade (not that I want this to happen) and to cut back costs with overtime in NYPD as they have an unimaginable amount of officers on deck at the parade right now, covering everything and risking their lives.

The West Indian Labor Day parade is a money maker to NYC. Parade goers/spectators come from not only all over the US but from dozens of countries as well i.e Canada, the UK and many of the Carribean nations.

Not sure what can be done but i always felt one idea could be to move it to

5th Ave in Manhattan. That idea proposed by several Mayors has been rejected by parade orgainzers. Still have not heard anything as of this writing this evening of any problems at the 2011 parade though.

And back to topic. As far as stronger gun laws, it helps only to a point but only enforced. Psychos/those on a 'death mission' no matter what laws are on the books will always find a to get a gun.

The West Indian Labor Day parade is a money maker to NYC. Parade goers/spectators come from not only all over the US but from dozens of countries as well i.e Canada, the UK and many of the Carribean nations.

Not sure what can be done but i always felt one idea could be to move it to

5th Ave in Manhattan. That idea proposed by several Mayors has been rejected by parade orgainzers. Still have not heard anything as of this writing this evening of any problems at the 2011 parade though.

And back to topic. As far as stronger gun laws, it helps only to a point but only enforced. Psychos/those on a 'death mission' no matter what laws are on the books will always find a to get a gun.

And what would moving the parade to 5th Ave do aside from scare the living crap out of folks on the Upper East Side with them boarding up their windows and such like they have done for the Puerto Rican Day Parade? :confused:

And what would moving the parade to 5th Ave due aside from scare the living crap out of folks on the Upper East Side with them boarding up their windows and such like they have done for the Puerto Rican Day Parade? :confused:

Well the St Patricks Day Parde has not been smooth sailings either. I think about 8-10 years a young guy during the St. Patrick's parade, was beaten to death in a fight involving booze. So lets not make this racial VG8, there been a few Whites aka people of Irish descent who performed criminals as well and were jerks.. So it's amazing of the hundred of thousands of people at those events, there not even more problems of violence. IMO the primary cause is alcohol. So there 'thugs' at any time anywhere no matter the ethnic/racial background.

Being fair of all of the major ethnic parades in NYC, the only one that tends to have little or no problems is the Columbus Day Parade.

And with the Brooklyn West Indian parade, security could be better. I went to a similar event in Toronto in 2002 and no problems. Matter of fact, some of the ladies in the parade was 'topless.' If that was in NYC, there would be riots. Issue of the parade problems again is booze and lack of security.

Well the St Patricks Day Parde has not been smooth sailings either. I think about 8-10 years a young guy during the St. Patrick's parade, was beaten to death in a fight involving booze. So lets not make this racial VG8, there been a few Whites aka people of Irish descent who performed criminals as well and were jerks.. So it's amazing of the hundred of thousands of people at those events, there not even more problems of violence. IMO the primary cause is alcohol. So there 'thugs' at any time anywhere no matter the ethnic/racial background.

Being fair of all of the major ethnic parades in NYC, the only one that tends to have little or no problems is the Columbus Day Parade.

And with the Brooklyn West Indian parade, security could be better. I went to a similar event in Toronto in 2002 and no problems. Matter of fact, some of the ladies in the parade was 'topless.' If that was in NYC, there would be riots. Issue of the parade problems again is booze and lack of security.

I'm not making it anything. I'm just asking a question and stating what has happened with other parades where violence was a problem. Believe me, the St. Patrick's Day Parade is not looked upon highly by us who work on 5th Avenue either particularly because of the drinking problems, but as far as violence, I can't speak about that because I try to avoid going out until the parade is over. I can say that security was very tight last year, so much so that I could barely get to my office building. :mad:

Now, as you would say, "Back to topic"... You still didn't answer my question. The parade draws a good 1 million people, so where in the world are all of those folks supposed to go and what would be the point of moving it to 5th Avenue. which is smaller than say Eastern Parkway?? :confused:

I'm not making it anything. I'm just asking a question and stating what has happened with other parades where violence was a problem. Believe me, the St. Patrick's Day Parade is not looked upon highly by us who work on 5th Avenue either particularly because of the drinking problems, but as far as violence, I can't speak about that because I try to avoid going out until the parade is over. I can say that security was very tight last year, so much so that I could barely get to my office building. :mad:

Now, as you would say, "Back to topic"... You still didn't answer my question. The parade draws a good 1 million people, so where in the world are all of those folks supposed to go and what would be the point of moving it to 5th Avenue. which is smaller than say Eastern Parkway?? :confused:

I was only mentioning how several previous Mayors from Koch-Giulani has proposed that(Moving it to 5th Avenue) and not my idea. Honestly i do agree it would be a nightmare to hold as much as 1 Million people on 5th Avenue to solve the problems that have plagued it on Eastern Pwy. for

years now.

And while i personally don't like most parades in NYC (whether 5th Ave or Brooklyn)because i am not into big crowds, unless something really awful happens, the West Indian parade is here to stay despite the violence for this reason.

Tens of Millions of dollars pumped into the economy citywide from tourists close to home and tens of thousands from dozens of countries worldwide.

I was only mentioning how several previous Mayors from Koch-Giulani has proposed that(Moving it to 5th Avenue) and not my idea. Honestly i do agree it would be a nightmare to hold as much as 1 Million people on 5th Avenue to solve the problems that have plagued it on Eastern Pwy. for

years now.

And while i personally don't like most parades in NYC (whether 5th Ave or Brooklyn)because i am not into big crowds, unless something really awful happens, the West Indian parade is here to stay despite the violence for this reason.

Tens of Millions of dollars pumped into the economy citywide from tourists close to home and tens of thousands from dozens of countries worldwide.

I wouldn't necessarily count on that. I mean if there is going to be this kind of violence at every parade every year then it would be best if it was canceled until they can come up with some better safety measures. Millions of dollars is not worth losing innocent lives ever year.

I say the hell with all these F'n parades. Stop closing streets so traffic can move smoothly. Theres nothing like that feeling of sitting in major traffic and going thru detours around the planet to go 3 blocks then looking for parking....

I agree. There are simply too many of them and the city does nothing to make traffic run smoother when these events happen. Yesterday traffic was an absolute mess by Union Square. I mean how in the hell do you close Broadway to have a food fair and then have all of that traffic re-routed along 14th street? :mad: I was caught on an M14 for almost 20 minutes. I jumped on since I saw one coming figuring that since it was so humid out I could get a little cooling instead of having to schlepp several two long blocks to Whole Foods.

I agree. There are simply too many of them and the city does nothing to make traffic run smoother when these events happen. Yesterday traffic was an absolute mess by Union Square. I mean how in the hell do you close Broadway to have a food fair and then have all of that traffic re-routed along 14th street? :mad: I was caught on an M14 for almost 20 minutes. I jumped on since I saw one coming figuring that since it was so humid out I could get a little cooling instead of having to schlepp several two long blocks to Whole Foods.

Wow the closed all of that for food. But I thought Mayor Mc cheese is all about green streets and closing Park ave so people can swim in dumpsters and turning parking into bike lanes. I need to live on the moon.

Tighter gun laws are not the ONLY way to go about this.

But they are a way, and we do need stricter gun laws. The starting point to disarming the criminal is disarming the law abiding man, both of which need to happen. Nothing good comes out of a private gun.

See the one that gets me are street fairs, barely a weekend goes by without some major street being choked for one of the tourist traps. Worthless, don't help the neighborhood, and make traffic unbearable.

Actually a great point. Just an idea/thought but why does NYC not have a 'borough wide' fair instead of these neighborhood ones? Up here in Dutchess County an event our friend Yuki just went to there is a 'county fair' which occurs all over the nation.

If NYC had a "queens boro fair' you could have it at the old World's Fair grounds for a few weeks during the summer. Or in Bronx it could be held at Van Cotlandt Park, Brooklyn in Prospect Park. Just a thought.

Actually a great point. Just an idea/thought but why does NYC not have a 'borough wide' fair instead of these neighborhood ones? Up here in Dutchess County an event our friend Yuki just went to there is a 'county fair' which occurs all over the nation.

If NYC had a "queens boro fair' you could have it at the old World's Fair grounds for a few weeks during the summer. Or in Bronx it could be held at Van Cotlandt Park, Brooklyn in Prospect Park. Just a thought.

I guess you never heard of the Queens County Fair? I think they used to hold it in the parking lot at Shea.

I guess you never heard of the Queens County Fair? I think they used to hold it in the parking lot at Shea.

Is it still around?(i am serious)Yes it used to be on commericals in the '80's especially on Ch. 9(when they showed the Mets) and Ch.11. Have not seen their commericals in years so i figured it no longer around.

I know about the Garden State fair at the Medowlands.

Tighter gun laws are not the ONLY way to go about this.

But they are a way, and we do need stricter gun laws. The starting point to disarming the criminal is disarming the law abiding man, both of which need to happen. Nothing good comes out of a private gun.

We already have the strictest gun laws in America and guns are everywhere and 24 people got shot in a 24 hour span. Grant it, the people that got shot aren't my definition of innocent and I highly doubt law-abiding. What kind of 11-14 year old is out at 3:30am?

There is absolutely NO way you could get all guns off the street. The more illegal they are, the more money they cost. There will always be a way to get them.

Say if I legally owned a gun and lets say someone was say oh... getting raped. Would it be better to call the cops or just off the POS? and save someone else.

Also if law abiding citizens open or concealed carried, a criminal would think twice about what he/she/it's doing.

Archived