Bloody weekend: 24 shot in 24 hours prompting Mayor Bloomberg to call for tougher gun laws

mark1447

Tell that to the City of Brotherly Love, because a curfew is up down there for everyone under 18, and don't give me the "All kids are innocent" thing. I am tired of seeing some of them running around as little monsters. If the world had a international curfew for all kids then the London Riots, and other riots in the past that involved kids would have never happened, and all kids would have had been under control, but we have to live in a society where the "All kids are innocent" BS mentality is in play. When you don't give kids enough discipline when they are young they will take advantage of it, and destroy society. Kids should be punished, but not abused. For example take away their DS, or send them to their rooms. They need that discipline. This is exactly an adult post, and sums it up, and don't say I am incorrect, because I am telling the truth.

Tell that to the City of Brotherly Love, because a curfew is up down there for everyone under 18, and don't give me the "All kids are innocent" thing. I am tired of seeing some of them running around as little monsters. If the world had a international curfew for all kids then the London Riots, and other riots in the past that involved kids would have never happened, and all kids would have had been under control, but we have to live in a society where the "All kids are innocent" BS mentality is in play. When you don't give kids enough discipline when they are young they will take advantage of it, and destroy society. Kids should be punished, but not abused. For example take away their DS, or send them to their rooms. They need that discipline. This is exactly an adult post, and sums it up, and don't say I am incorrect, because I am telling the truth.

You sound as if you have had a traumatic experience in the past involving your "childhood mentality." If that's the case, stop blaming the world and get help for YOURSELF. It is not the world's fault you were deprived of happiness and fun when you were a child.

Adolescents are adolescents and it's not up to the world to hold their hands. People may do their own things and it is up to them to decide what is wrong or not, and to take into account of what possible consequences that may result from their actions. If someone thinks it's very smart to attack police officers and loot during a riot, let them suffer for it, all of what you're saying is IRRELEVANT as people are all different and that they are not as "black or white" as you think they are.

This is not a 1984 society, but this is the real world. It may not be always colorful or bright, but there are certain times when it is and that's what you need to consider the most.

Smh and I thought you grew up......

You'd think it'd be common sense that fewer guns sold means fewer guns produced and fewer guns on the black market.

Yeah, and who's distributing & purchasing these guns.....

The toughest gun laws in the world won't keep a damn gun out of the hands of a criminal....

Question is there any type of security at any of these parades? If there is security then where are they when you need them? Now if there isn't any people are going to those parades are literally going at there at their own risk and if something does happen then they are s**t out of luck.

1) The "security" at these parades provide a false sense of security....

When you got "security" too caught up with what's goin on in the parades, there's not much securing goin on.....

So much for protecting & serving....

2) parade-goers, from jump, already know they're attending these things at their own risk....

This is what happens at parades, they have no meaning anymore. Some people only go to them for the sake of starting trouble.

This.....

...and add perversion to that also.... you wanna see a buncha thirsty nzzzzz's in action, hit up the labor day, or the PR day parade....

broke ass dudes + thirsty ass dudes is a recipe for some BS to happen....

I am not saying that all kids are responsible, but some are, and you have to know that there are consequences, and I am sorry if it sounds horrible, but it's part truth. Oh yeah I am sorry if my post meant all kids. They said that in Philly too, but that is what happens when you have people ruin it for others. I wasn't a bad kid when I was young, and I actually never had a deprived childhood, but it wasn't the greatest. You know what I just realized I sound like an ignorant a** since I never use the world "Some" often enough. I guess I should use that word more often since it's correct to use it.

gun LAWS, no matter how stringent, don't keep guns out of anyone's hands except those who FOLLOW THE LAW.

See those savages try that shoot 'em up shit on a ranch in Texas or even in upstate New York and see if they feel as ballsy about it as they do in good old "can't get a concealed carry handgun or rifle permit" NYC.

Well then why are gun control laws so easily circumvented? Obviously if there's a problem in the way guns are distributed between the law abiding citizens and people who shouldn't have them then there has to be a way to reverse that course and have the most liberal gun laws while making sure innocent civilians don't have to deal with the horror of gun violence.

The fewer guns in the hands of your supposed "law-abiding citizens" are fewer guns on the street and fewer guns for the criminals. If these people are so law-abiding and such good people, then they don't need guns on them 24/7. Yeah, sh!t happens, but that's no reason to arm the neighborhood.

What don't you understand...? CRIMINALS ARE GOING TO ILLEGALLY ACQUIRE GUNS REGARDLESS OF THE LAW. You could ban gun ownership nationwide except for cops and security guards and I GUARANTEE YOU some "brotha from the hood" will still be poppin shit and flexin nuts with a 9mm at this parade next year cuz some homee wouldn't step off.

Hell you could ban gun PRODUCTION in the US and all that will create is arms smuggling into the country. Law breakers are going to break the law no matter what. All gun laws do is eliminate the ability of the law abiding citizenry to do two key things:

-Protect themselves and their loved ones from an attack when there is no law enforcement around

-Stage, or at least threaten, a revolution should they believe their government to be corrupt (one of the reasons the founding fathers passed the second amendment)

Well then why are gun control laws so easily circumvented? Obviously if there's a problem in the way guns are distributed between the law abiding citizens and people who shouldn't have them then there has to be a way to reverse that course and have the most liberal gun laws while making sure innocent civilians don't have to deal with the horror of gun violence.

It doesn't work that way. Law enforcement is by its nature reactive, not preventative.

You can say "it's illegal to kill" and deter someone from doing so with very stiff, draconian penalties. Every murder is investigated...AFTER it happens.

You can't say "it's illegal to own a gun" and deter someone with the threat of fines or minor jail time if they are caught having an illegal firearm. When is the investigation? Constant? Do we sacrifice more freedoms so that cops can begin random searching people without warrants for guns?

It's the same reason that drug laws don't work, and the same reason that telling people not to hop turnstiles, jaywalk, walk between cars, or urinate in public will ever work.

And since this "problem" is going to be around forever...i can't say what the best way to deal with it is, but the WORST way is to take away the right of those who do follow laws to defend themselves with equal force when threatened with a gun.

Read: http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0210e.asp

A supplement from NY Times regarding Europe: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2008/06/29/weekinreview/29liptak-grfk.html?ref=weekinreview

You Republicans are so paranoid... Steal your tax money, steal your guns. I'll ask you a question though, why do we need private citizen gun rights?

So that we can protect our self's from the savages. I wouldn't walk in certian sections of this country with out a gun now. The savages have taken over and it's the federal government that's letting them do it. Look at all these violent flash mobs that have taken places in cities all over the US. Savages running around, attacking people, destroying property and no one wants to talk about it.

Plus, what's wrong with me owning a gun if I want to go hunting or target shooting?

You know what I have a better idea. Instead of creating curfews why not create programs for the troubled when they are young. That should prevent criminals. The programs should teach them to become good adults and it should help them.

A program for troubled kids aint going to help those troubled kids who grew up in that environment, nothing will help those kids. No matter what the laws says illegal guns will still be on the street. You can make any law banning guns and they will still be on the street. So these governers, mayors can moan, bitch, cry all they want and the guns will still be out there. I have a gun, its legal and registered in my name. I dont carry it with me. Its lockd up in a safe. The point is people have guns but the problem is they are in the wrong hands most of the time. Most people in america have one. A curfew can maybe slow things down but its not going to stop it

You know what I have a better idea. Instead of creating curfews why not create programs for the troubled when they are young. That should prevent criminals. The programs should teach them to become good adults and it should help them.

You know how many years they've been blowing that youth program shit up our asses? It maybe works for 20% of the kids but they rest of them just follow each other and do whatever the Fvck they want.

It's pretty simple that the fewer guns produced for private ownership mean the fewer guns that can eventually make it on to the black market, god knows about those "gun shows." Our gun legislation is a joke, and all it takes is one of those shows to go off on a rampage. Cutting off the private supply is the only way to slowly eliminate gun ownership.

And statistically, your "law-abiding citizens" protecting themselves use guns far, far less than previously "law-abiding citizens" who murdered people.

#1-Gun shows are all tightly regulated, registered events where no weapons are sold without valid permits and gun laws are strictly enforced. Gun enthusiasts wouldn't go if they weren't.

#2-Let's suppose, falsely, for a moment that you're right, and "banning guns" will actually stop them from coming in. We'll allow cops to use the power of positive thoughts to discourage criminals from killing, and school them in the latest motivational speech tactics and hope for the best. Well - HOW exactly is the government going to prevent the smuggling or manufacture of guns domestically??? The same way they prevent the smuggling and manufacture of illegal drugs?

#3-It is actually extremely rare for a law abiding citizen to use a gun to commit a felony as a first offense. Almost every case of gun violence, the person involved has had at least one or several other non-gun offenses in their past...which is why part of the application for a gun permit involves a complete background check that includes delving into sealed records and character references (which are investigated too). People with priors for robbery, grand theft auto, assault, battery, drug possession, drug possession with intent to sell, etc. can't get guns legally. Therefore, they do so illegally.

And that's the problem. When gun laws discourage the rest of the population from owning a gun, the criminals are empowered to run rampant and do what they want knowing they are better armed than the good guys.

That won't work dude. In these inner city/ghettos/hoods or whatever you want to call them, the thug life is the :cool: life for those kids. I remember NYPD sent some of their peeps to speak to my class in HS about something (I honestly can't remember) and being that I went to a inner city HS and most of the kids didn't take kind to it when the class let out...

Perhaps doing the Maury show route and take em to Rikers for a day could work though...

With the Maury show comment I'm referring to when they do those out of control teenage girls eps and at the end they take somewhere that would scare them shitless if they keep living that reckless lifestyle.

1) You really believe that? Really?

How many gun shows have you been to? Using conjecture based on personal perceptions is not a legitimate argument.

2) Feasibly, there is no way to get guns out of the country and out of the hands of criminals.

There, you just said it.

However, there is a pretty simple way to stop criminals from legally obtaining guns to use in crimes, and that's banning private individual gun ownership. Shooting ranges, y'all can blow things up to your hearts' content...

You just said there's no way to keep out of the hands of criminals, because you agreed with me that "gun grabbers" will circumvent any law you put on the books to illegally acquire arms. However, through banning private individual gun ownership you prevent people from "legally" acquiring arms. Well, now you've done nothing except, again, empower those who you just admitted above will continue to illegally acquire guns.

3) It's not the vast majority, it's the small instances that we have to pay attention to, because those hit us hardest. It's not like every plane in the world is hijacked and used in a terrorist attack, but we design our system to prevent that from happening.

There are exceptions to every rule. No system is perfect. That's life.

Example 1: Seung-Hui Cho. Virginia Tech Massacre. Legal gun owner who bought from a legal dealer after passing background checks. Murdered 32 civilians for the sake of it.

Example 2: George Hennard. Luby's Massacre. Legal gun owner who bought from a legal dealer after passing background checks. Murdered 23 civilians because he could.

Example 3: James Huberty. San Ysidro Massacre. Legal gun owner who bought from a legal dealer after passing background checks (though he had a history of mental instability). Murdered 21 civilians for fun.

Imagine how many less people would have been murdered had those civilians who were shot had some equal means to self defense at the time they were targeted.

In fact, here's a pretty nice list of U.S. massacres, have a look how many legally purchased weapons: http://vpc.org/studies/wguncont.htm

That list is highly biased. Read the police blotter in any NYC newspaper and you'll see how many of the hood rats who do the vast majority of the killings (same in Philly, same in Detroit) have acquired the guns illegally.

Gun legislation is a joke. Private individual ownership of guns needs to be banned, because the line between "law-abiding citizen" and "criminal" needs only one trigger pull to cross.

And since you can't prevent crimes, you can only react to them, it makes sense to allow people to defend themselves, no?

Suppose a person uses a knife to commit murder. The argument you are making is that we should also ban sharp instruments (they do this in Britain, btw) in public because someone could get hurt.

People are going to violate any law. You have to do what's right for the overwhelming majority. And creating a culture where the average law abiding citizen is unable to protect and provide for themselves and their own family does nothing except create a nanny state where citizens with no freedom are at the mercy of those who follow no laws, no rules, and don't care.

I'm afraid it might have to come down to something similar like what the first Death Wish movie or the recent movie 'THe Brave One' to happen to a person for them to realize that the cops are not always there to protect us at every corner from thugs wanting an easy target....

Common sense is dead these days...

But no, lets ban all legal guns because guns are evil no matter what. All just so the gun grabbers can feel better.

Archived