Question to bus operators

YankeesPwnMets

Ok, so I was taking the B1 to Bay Ridge via 86 St today over to a friends house for a party. On the bus, this child and what looked like his grandpa got onto the bus. About 10 minutes later, they got off the bus and apparently they looked like they got off the wrong stop, so they just got back on. The bus driver told the old guy to insert his MetroCard again, which I thought was unnecessary, and the old guy's MetroCard had insufficient fares and the operator kicked them off, which I thought was even more weird. A bunch of the passengers were questioning that decision, but the driver just kept ignoring them and kept going along his route.

Was this against any Code of Conduct or did the driver do the right thing?

Ok, so I was taking the B1 to Bay Ridge via 86 St today over to a friends house for a party. On the bus, this child and what looked like his grandpa got onto the bus. About 10 minutes later, they got off the bus and apparently they looked like they got off the wrong stop, so they just got back on. The bus driver told the old guy to insert his MetroCard again, which I thought was unnecessary, and the old guy's MetroCard had insufficient fares and the operator kicked them off, which I thought was even more weird. A bunch of the passengers were questioning that decision, but the driver just kept ignoring them and kept going along his route.

Was this against any Code of Conduct or did the driver do the right thing?

maybe but that is not ur problem

The operator was out of line in a way. TA does state that we're not to kick anyone off the bus for any reason. If any scenarios arises where we need to take action, we'd call Command, explain the situation and they'll make the final call on whether to take the bus out of service, or take further action (call Police).

In the case you described, the group coming back onto the bus shouldn't affect him one bit. And no I'm not advising to call Command (that's just idiotic call), but the group isn't hurting anyone, and it was a simple mistake of getting off at the wrong stop. That's all.

maybe but that is not ur problem

You clearly have too much time on your hand as your post did nothing for the topic.

The question was valid enough to post about.

Assuming that this is exactly what transpired with Grandpa and Grandson re-boarding and having to swipe again, then this operator gives all operators a bad name. It's stated that the operator told Grandpa to re-swipe, that means that the operator obviously knew they exited the bus only to realize that it was not the correct stop.

The actions of the operator is clearly not the message that operators are to be sending to someone who obviously made a mistake. On top of this uncaring act, the operator performed another incorrect action by wrongfully having them alight the bus because of insufficient funds. Clearly in violation of Authority policy. You heard it here first, that this is the profile of an operator who is on the road to burnout and a possible serious altercation sometime down the road.

Judgement and common sense is the key in any situation. This is an operator who probably sits in the back of the Customer Service class not paying the least bit of attention to the Instructor because "there is nothing they could possibly learn."

Hopefully this operator does not live in a glass house!

All the best and remember, common sense is a free gift so make use of it!

Let me add a few more details here.

Grandpa and Grandson get back on the bus. The driver tells the old man to insert his MetroCard, and while the man gets his MetroCard, the driver continues on his route. Once the operator sees that the MetroCard wasn't accepted, he just stops and tells them to leave. I couldn't tell what exactly was wrong with the card, since I was in my seat and the bus was already fairly crowded. I just heard the little beep noise that sounds up when the card isn't accepted.

I thought the driver was crazy for not letting them back on. I would have offered them a ride but my card was already completely used and I couldn't have done anything about it. The passengers just glared and a bunch of old ladies were speaking in Cantonese about how wrong the driver was(Yes, I understand Cantonese)

Let me add a few more details here.

Grandpa and Grandson get back on the bus. The driver tells the old man to insert his MetroCard, and while the man gets his MetroCard, the driver continues on his route. Once the operator sees that the MetroCard wasn't accepted, he just stops and tells them to leave. I couldn't tell what exactly was wrong with the card, since I was in my seat and the bus was already fairly crowded. I just heard the little beep noise that sounds up when the card isn't accepted.

I thought the driver was crazy for not letting them back on. I would have offered them a ride but my card was already completely used and I couldn't have done anything about it. The passengers just glared and a bunch of old ladies were speaking in Cantonese about how wrong the driver was(Yes, I understand Cantonese)

the B/O was just being a d**k. especially if he saw the old man get off the bus. From what B/O's tell me, and from what the S/I that gave me driver training told me B/O's are not suppose to kick anyone off the bus. all they are suppose to say is "The fare is $2.25". Did the old man get off the back and try to come through the front? Did you see if the old man paid his fare in the beginning or did he sneak on to the back of the bus??

all they are suppose to say is "The fare is $2.25". Did the old man get off the back and try to come through the front? Did you see if the old man paid his fare in the beginning or did he sneak on to the back of the bus??

In either scenario, the BO was wrong. His job is to operate the bus, not to give a fucC who pays and where did they board (front or back). Some guys' egos are just out there.

Let a REAL SENIOR Bus Op shed some light here....If Gramps exited from the back and the bus was crowded then this op might of thought he was playing that all too well game of getting by with the wrong stop deal but you never know who was sitting around this Op and ley me clarify something to the wanna beez bus ops here....We are to Enforce the Fare not to go after gramps and chuck him out ....that was wrong but this Story seems to have a GAP that's missing cause it was crowded and you technically couldn't recall 100percent what happened so in all fairness ,This op was covering his ass no matter what and just like every trip ,We go through it all with Excuses so again I feel bad for gramps but NONE of you knows who was watching the op and only 1 person sort of witnessed this.

The senior and the kid exited through the front. I was sitting at the very front seat of the bus, which I believe was a Nova LFS 2009. I saw the gramps exit through the front door with my own eyes.

Also, the old man wasn't farebeating. I saw them enter via the front door and pay as well.

The senior and the kid exited through the front. I was sitting at the very front seat of the bus, which I believe was a Nova LFS 2009. I saw the gramps exit through the front door with my own eyes.

Also, the old man wasn't farebeating. I saw them enter via the front door and pay as well.

I can't understand then why he did that if it was in the front .

Do you remember where they got off ?? and was this the M22

Can we get over the political correctness here, for it's not as complicated as some are making it.

- Witness present

- Pair seen boarding, exiting and reboarding via front doors

- Bus Op makes them re-swipe

- Bus Op throws them off the bus

- Bus Op uses poor judgement

- Bus Op not "covering" anything but exposing his selfish and incorrect action

Operator needs to be Reinstructed on Policy and 2 will get you 10 that if this was a question on the "Boss" test, operator would have not stated that he would take the action that he took. Probably not the last judgemental issue with this operator. No Beakie would have reprimanded this operator for allowing this pair to re-board without swiping.

Move on! Next????

Can we get over the political correctness here, for it's not as complicated as some are making it.

- Witness present

- Pair seen boarding, exiting and reboarding via front doors

- Bus Op makes them re-swipe

- Bus Op throws them off the bus

- Bus Op uses poor judgement

- Bus Op not "covering" anything but exposing his selfish and incorrect action

Operator needs to be Reinstructed on Policy and 2 will get you 10 that if this was a question on the "Boss" test, operator would have not stated that he would take the action that he took. Probably not the last judgemental issue with this operator. No Beakie would have reprimanded this operator for allowing this pair to re-board without swiping.

Move on! Next????

nuff said so he was out of line there

• 2 weeks later...

i had a feeling that he must read the policy that stated " if passenger pass the fare box for exit to front door, it consider discharged." Just a theory even tho most of us disagree. Also did the grandpa touch the street or sidewalk? that consider a d discharged according to MTA. But some have heart some dont.

• 2 months later...

OK, what do you think of this situation.

At 18ave /86st , dispatcher tells bus driver to discharge only to 13/Bay Ridge ave. He makes all the little old ladies in sitting directly behind him hobble to the back door(slowing the bus). At 13/86, a russian only speaking man stands at the front door, which the driver does NOT open , and the driver repeats to him to exit out the rear. He doesn't understand and the bus contiunues up 13 ave(before the switch). Each stop he rings the bell, the driver stops, tells him to exit out the rear door, he doesn't and the driver takes off. At 78st,or so, the little old lady taps the old mans hand and points to the rear door and he walks there, but get this, here the driver opens the door for a woman. Also on 13 ave, he made the old ladies hobble to the back again slowing the bus, and the bus behind PASSED us at 13/Bay RIdge ave.

Him I reported.

OK, what do you think of this situation.

At 18ave /86st , dispatcher tells bus driver to discharge only to 13/Bay Ridge ave. He makes all the little old ladies in sitting directly behind him hobble to the back door(slowing the bus). At 13/86, a russian only speaking man stands at the front door, which the driver does NOT open , and the driver repeats to him to exit out the rear. He doesn't understand and the bus contiunues up 13 ave(before the switch). Each stop he rings the bell, the driver stops, tells him to exit out the rear door, he doesn't and the driver takes off. At 78st,or so, the little old lady taps the old mans hand and points to the rear door and he walks there, but get this, here the driver opens the door for a woman. Also on 13 ave, he made the old ladies hobble to the back again slowing the bus, and the bus behind PASSED us at 13/Bay RIdge ave.

Him I reported.

Did the driver have a sign up saying "13th Avenue"? I mean if everybody knows that he's only going to 13th Avenue and he's only getting a few people then it would be faster to just let them on. The purpose of being drop-off only was to speed it up.

Did the driver have a sign up saying "13th Avenue"? I mean if everybody knows that he's only going to 13th Avenue and he's only getting a few people then it would be faster to just let them on. The purpose of being drop-off only was to speed it up.

I get your question, but some B/Os can be wicked and sometimes for spite too. lol There were a few of them back in the day in Brooklyn that would pull the old let the guy in front pick up everyone so that he could breeze on with no passengers. I don't see that very much on Staten Island though, and usually the B/Os that drive express will open the door for you even if they're not at the bus stop if you're a regular because some of them know how long our commutes are seeing that they drive the routes. Then again, on Staten Island, many of the routes don't have a chance to bunch since they are relatively spaced far apart, aside from the rush hour and along Richmond Avenue and Hylan Blvd.

Archived