Daimler Orion VII E10 "3G" Discussion

East New York

Orion VII E10 "3G" $40,327,525 est.

-75 standard configuration($442,572), ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Thermo King HVAC, reciprocating compressor, S-cam brakes

-15 optional configuration($448,750),ZF Ecolife 6AP1200B, Thermo King HVAC, screw compressor, disk brakes.

-$39,924,150 for 90 buses.

-$287,315 for qualified testing, manuals, and diagnostic tools.

-$45,000 for tailpipe emission profile testing.

-$71,060 for training

*Delivery In Progress

• 7000-7029: Castleton

• 7030-7059: Ulmer Park

• 7060-7089: Queens Village

6366099161_71ba787a32_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
The MTA really does not know what they want to do at all. At least make the MTA logo bigger or something.

They really don't... Notice that the doors are black on this bus and they've been painting all of the black doors white... :o Then they order all of the buses with that silver top or whatever that is over over the destination sign and then when they paint the buses, they paint that white, so why not just make it white to begin with? I mean I hate when they paint that part white. Makes the bus look cheesy.

I also hate those windows. I think the other windows looked much better. Another thing that irks me is what is up with these new buses and them making it so difficult to open the windows? I mean some of those new buses don't have such great AC or the B/O doesn't put it on so there is no air circulating which means you're on a rank bus. Having the windows open allow for fresh air to come through and air out some of those buses with the stench of some folks so they need to make them easier to open again. :mad::mad:

They really don't... Notice that the doors are black on this bus and they've been painting all of the black doors white... :o

Looks like different door models on this order.

Then they order all of the buses with that silver top or whatever that is over over the destination sign and then when they paint the buses, they paint that white, so why not just make it white to begin with? I mean I hate when they paint that part white. Makes the bus look cheesy.

I'll agree with you on that. The metal plate is retarded.

I also hate those windows. I think the other windows looked much better. Another thing that irks me is what is up with these new buses and them making it so difficult to open the windows? I mean some of those new buses don't have such great AC or the B/O doesn't put it on so there is no air circulating which means you're on a rank bus. Having the windows open allow for fresh air to come through and air out some of those buses with the stench of some folks so they need to make them easier to open again. :mad::mad:

Now I have to disagree with you again. I like these windows on the VIIs. IMO, the framed windows work better with the scheme than the frameless would. It does come down to personal preference though.

Also don't forget that the MTA doesn't want to do frameless windows anymore although I do wonder what an Orion 5 with frameless windows would look like...but either way I don't think the original Orion 7s should have had frameless windows in the first place. I was thrown for a loop when I first saw them and they never caught on.

They really don't... Notice that the doors are black on this bus and they've been painting all of the black doors white... ;) Then they order all of the buses with that silver top or whatever that is over over the destination sign and then when they paint the buses, they paint that white, so why not just make it white to begin with? I mean I hate when they paint that part white. Makes the bus look cheesy.

These new doors are made to go with the frame-less look, and frame-less windows. The are Vapor (Ricon) AmeriView windows, which the TA has never had on an Orion. See below about the windows.

Also don't forget that the MTA doesn't want to do frameless windows anymore although I do wonder what an Orion 5 with frameless windows would look like...but either way I don't think the original Orion 7s should have had frameless windows in the first place. I was thrown for a loop when I first saw them and they never caught on.

Framed windows cost less, and also are easier to replace because the whole fleet basically has them.

Do the drivers @ Castleton have to get trained again to operate the units? seeing as how its just the newer diesel version of the NGs

No they don't.

These new doors are made to go with the frame-less look, and frame-less windows. The are Vapor (Ricon) AmeriView windows, which the TA has never had on an Orion. See below about the windows.

Framed windows cost less, and also are easier to replace because the whole fleet basically has them.

Well that's smart, but why do they make the windows so hard to open now? I imagine part of the reason was a safety concern that they have them open the way that they do where no one can put their arm out or whatever, because there was a big to do over that, but that shouldn't mean that they're impossible to open. The way they have it now it's like you're intruding on folks to open the window because it's more complex to open them and noisy too. I opened one on the S54 a while back because it was so rank and man it was not an easy feat when you compare these new windows to say the windows on the 66XXs where you can just slide them open and be done... :eek:

Well that's smart, but why do they make the windows so hard to open now? I imagine part of the reason was a safety concern that they have them open the way that they do where no one can put their arm out or whatever, because there was a big to do over that, but that shouldn't mean that they're impossible to open. The way they have it now it's like you're intruding on folks to open the window because it's more complex to open them and noisy too. I opened one on the S54 a while back because it was so rank and man it was not an easy feat when you compare these new windows to say the windows on the 66XXs where you can just slide them open and be done... :eek:

Because of the fact that all the buses are A/C equipped, they only have the top part made to be opened. I didn't know they were that hard to open though. I never had any issues with them. They also cost less, and are cheaper to maintain.

Because of the fact that all the buses are A/C equipped, they only have the top part made to be opened. I didn't know they were that hard to open though. I never had any issues with them. They also cost less, and are cheaper to maintain.

lol.... I would imagine that they would be because no one can open them. Aside from that, the problem is that sometimes A/C isn't necessary, so the B/O will have nothing on. However, it is still hot enough or stuffy enough to have just a breeze from outside with the window open to get some fresh air. It's more of a sanitary issue than anything. I know it's not something the (MTA) wants to talk about because I remember when there was a report about germs on the subway and how the (MTA) denied it so as not to freak out the public, but sanitation is important to a degree, especially since these are buses that the public uses.

lol.... I would imagine that they would be because no one can open them. Aside from that, the problem is that sometimes A/C isn't necessary, so the B/O will have nothing on. However, it is still hot enough or stuffy enough to have just a breeze from outside with the window open to get some fresh air. It's more of a sanitary issue than anything. I know it's not something the (MTA) wants to talk about because I remember when there was a report about germs on the subway and how the (MTA) denied it so as not to freak out the public, but sanitation is important to a degree, especially since these are buses that the public uses.

Well, its a public bus, so it won't be the cleanest in the world anyway. And like I said, the windows open at the top, so you just have to deal with it the way it is pretty much. There are also roof vents you can open.

Archived