Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
East New York

Daimler Orion VII E10 "3G" Discussion

How does the retarder in these buses work? Is it automatic, because one minute I will see the light on then later on go off and so on. I don't even see the op flip a switch or something

How well do these buses handle the snow? I remember during the blizzard last year there was a report on the news about how only the RTSs could handle a few inches of snow, and that the Orion 7's could not handle more than an inch or so on the ground.

Also curious about the snow capabilities of the LFS and Xcelsior, if anyone has any info.

How well do these buses handle the snow? I remember during the blizzard last year there was a report on the news about how only the RTSs could handle a few inches of snow, and that the Orion 7's could not handle more than an inch or so on the ground.

Also curious about the snow capabilities of the LFS and Xcelsior, if anyone has any info.

Back in 2009, I caught an Orion hybrid S53 in middle of a blizzard and it handled the streets fairly well. Another time in 2010, I was at St. George and a blizzard was just getting underway in the early morning hours and all the buses out on the road were hybrids. I would assume since the Orions originate from Canada(?), they are made to run in heavy snow since Canada is much colder than NYC.

Does anyone here know how the 3G's are doing now that most of them are in service? Are they doing better than the Xcelsior and the LFS?

Back in 2009, I caught an Orion hybrid S53 in middle of a blizzard and it handled the streets fairly well. Another time in 2010, I was at St. George and a blizzard was just getting underway in the early morning hours and all the buses out on the road were hybrids. I would assume since the Orions originate from Canada(?), they are made to run in heavy snow since Canada is much colder than NYC.

Orion, New Flyer, and Nova Bus all are product of Canadian engineering teams.

Orion, New Flyer, and Nova Bus all are product of Canadian engineering teams.

I've always found it interesting how Canada is home to so many major Transit Bus Manufacturers.

It seems that the US is too chicken shit to make a good Transit Bus.(Or a subway/light rail train for that matter) There's Gillig, but there buses kind of suck in comparison to their Canadian rivals, both in design and build quality(atleast IMO, and, have you seen the Gillig BRT? it looks like a cheap version of a NovaBus LFS/A or a NFI LFA. LOL)

You have MCI that makes commuter coaches, but they are only really there because there is a market for wealthy people and intercity bus companies to use motor coaches, not really because they want to make a transit bus.

Does anyone here know how the 3G's are doing now that most of them are in service? Are they doing better than the Xcelsior and the LFS?

The Orion 7 3gs are fast buses, they accelerate better than the LFS, but the XD40s are faster tho. That's just my opinion after riding all three of them.

after riding this bus a couple of times, im not to fond of them

i think the mta should go back to the old decal scheme

theyre really jerky, im not sure if its the retarders or so

i think the xcelsiors won & i hope they do

even though lil things are having problems

imo i think orion & the mta should stick to hybrids & leave diesel to someone else

The Orion 7 3gs are fast buses, they accelerate better than the LFS, but the XD40s are faster tho. That's just my opinion after riding all three of them.

You may or may not feel the jerking on those buses depending where you are sitting whether facing at the front of the bus or the rear. The LFS jerks the most, but the 3Gs are king of acceleration! The XD40s accelerates slow, then it runs fast!

Between the three imo, the LFSs are probably the best performing. Surprisingly enough, S.I's units are actually holding up pretty well. But with the LFSs its a double-edged sword, the Allison units perform much better than the ZF units especially when it comes to climbing hills (this goes for the 3rd Gens as well). The ZFs can barely make them move uphill compared to the Allisons.

Spaciousness, the Xcelsiors got that down. Folks who take the Q46 even use the upper level to stand compared to the rest of the buses and that says a lot!

Takeoff, the Xcelsiors & 3rd Gens hands down. The LFSs were great on takeoff until they got their tweaks and such after a couple of months. Eventually, these buses will get their nerfs as well.

Speed, they are all equally fast to an extent. I've used the speedometer app for my phone to check how fast they go at a certain time and they are almost all equal to one another.

Overall, between the 3 depots and the test buses, Staten Island's units will be my favorite at the end as they'll get worked the most.

Some examples of the S.I units.

7067, as you can tell this one is still pretty fresh but the sound effects are coming out real quick.

Whats up with some of the units at QV lately they've been having many oso door issues, one bus even lost power while i was on the Q27 -.-

Did 7000, and 7001 with the plain white front come to Queens Village, yet?!? havent seen any videos of them yet...:confused:

I know right, was looking forward for it! I think 7000 will not be in service in Queens Village until someday (idk).

I would like to see the SI Division fleet covered by 3Gs. They're perfect for staten island when it comes to the extra seats, wide space, easy doors, speed, and you can actually catch some sleep on these buses. The 3Gs are everything that the Hybrids were marketed to be. :tup::tup:

I would like to see the SI Division fleet covered by 3Gs. They're perfect for staten island when it comes to the extra seats, wide space, easy doors, speed, and you can actually catch some sleep on these buses. The 3Gs are everything that the Hybrids were marketed to be. :tup::tup:

Interesting you say that because I was in SI not too long ago and caught 7085 twice. I must say the ride was so damn smooth I actually did fall asleep! The drivers all seem to like them, and are already familiar with the bus because they were the first to have NG's.

The interesting part however is the comparison of a 3G diesel, and a 3G hybrid side to side.

According to a little birdie, my actually get to see this in the not too distant future.:D

Interesting you say that because I was in SI not too long ago and caught 7085 twice. I must say the ride was so damn smooth I actually did fall asleep! The drivers all seem to like them, and are already familiar with the bus because they were the first to have NG's.

I've rode the 3G many times, and I sort of like the 3Gs too. It's so damn smooth when you sit down, but standing up is bad. You feel like bus jerk when you do that. I like the 3Gs style, sound, design, and more. The stairs to the high floor section of the 3G is a little bit higher than other buses, which I like!

I'm right now liking both 3Gs and the XD40s!

Status of the "3G" in BTE.

Originally, I was just going to move the Orion VII E10 information into the regular fleet thread. I'm going to leave it in the BTE, and continue to evaluate it alongside the other entrants.

Status of the "3G" in BTE.

Originally, I was just going to move the Orion VII E10 information into the regular fleet thread. I'm going to leave it in the BTE, and continue to evaluate it alongside the other entrants.

So is the story now that these O7s are gonna remain 90 oddballs (with the other losing 90 oddballs of the BTE program) since the evaluation is a moot point now?

Just on the topic of O7s, what ever happened to that hybrid repowering scheme you mentioned ages ago?

So is the story now that these O7s are gonna remain 90 oddballs (with the other losing 90 oddballs of the BTE program) since the evaluation is a moot point now?

Just on the topic of O7s, what ever happened to that hybrid repowering scheme you mentioned ages ago?

Yes, at this time they will remain oddballs. Along with the CNG's those will likely be the last of the Orion VII's the city will ever see.

Now I'm not sure what you are talking about with hybrid repowering. TTC was looking into it, and MTA is evauating the repower of the OG CNG's with Cummins engines.

• Upvote 1

Yes, at this time they will remain oddballs. Along with the CNG's those will likely be the last of the Orion VII's the city will ever see.

Now I'm not sure what you are talking about with hybrid repowering. TTC was looking into it, and MTA is evauating the repower of the OG CNG's with Cummins engines.

Still no word if TTC will repower its HEV's yet.

• Upvote 1

I do not like these buses at all. They are too jerky, standing is worse than sitting, but you still feel it, like the Nova LFS. The seating arrangement is terrible. I do not appreciate that all the seats are front-facing (except wheelchair seats) and cramped. I prefer and love the Xcelsiors!