GO Alert Sep 17: Hammels Shuttle included!

Amtrak7

And you thought this weekend was bad with the (L) and (Q) busings? Delete one, add 2! :eek::eek:

(A) No trains between Howard Beach and Far Rockaway

(S) No shuttle train between Beach 90 St and Broad Channel

Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 12:15 AM Sat to 4:45 AM Mon, Sep 17 - 19

(S) Shuttle train operates between Beach 116 St and Mott Av making stops at Beach 105, Beach 98, Beach 90, Beach 67, Beach 60, Beach 44, Beach 36 and Beach 25 Sts.

• Far Rockaway Shuttle bus runs nonstop between Howard Beach and Mott Av.

• Rockaway Park Shuttle bus runs between Howard Beach and Beach 116 St,

making a station stop at Broad Channel.

(C) No trains between Manhattan and Brooklyn

Weekend, 6 AM to 11 PM, Saturday, Sep 17

8 AM to 11 PM, Sunday, Sep 18

Service operates between 168 St and W 4 St, then via (F) the to 2 Av, the last stop.

(F) No trains between Jay St-MetroTech and 18 Av

(G) No trains between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts and Church Av

Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

(L) No trains between Broadway Junction and 8 Av

(J)(M) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Those Rockaways passengers better be prepared for long waits, with buses being used elsewhere. Maybe we'll see a repeat of the use of LIB buses and MCI's as shuttles! And that would exactly 51 weeks ago when these GO's take effect. (Sep 25 2010)

And you thought this weekend was bad with the (L) and (Q) busings? Delete one, add 2! :eek::eek:

Those Rockaways passengers better be prepared for long waits, with buses being used elsewhere. Maybe we'll see a repeat of the use of LIB buses and MCI's as shuttles! And that would exactly 51 weeks ago when these GO's take effect. (Sep 25 2010)

its not that bad, take the (S) to Far Rockaway and walk to the LIRR, and vice versa to go home.

Will the Shuttle buses run on Cross Bay Blvd?

Damn, i won't be able to make it to the Rockaways to record a video. Hope someone else can catch this rare service change. (F) via Fulton Street Line... Sweet. But i will be spending most of my time on the Lo-V train, and catching the (L) train using the Jamaica bound track of the (J) as a terminal at Broadway Junction. That should be interesting.

Will the Shuttle buses run on Cross Bay Blvd?

Damn, i won't be able to make it to the Rockaways to record a video. Hope someone else can catch this rare service change. (F) via Fulton Street Line... Sweet. But i will be spending most of my time on the Lo-V train, and catching the (L) train using the Jamaica bound track of the (J) as a terminal at Broadway Junction. That should be interesting.

Rock Park-Howard Beach uses Cross Bay Blvd. Why they don't connect at B 90 I don't know.

Far Rock-Howard Beach runs via Nassau County.

(F) to Euclid? (A) to Howard Beach only, let's see the shuttle buses. (M) to 6 Avenue on a weekend, this time to 57 Street I guess. (C) to 2 Avenue.

No mention of the (F) running to Euclid above that I can see. I presume we will see the (M) to 57th, though I'd personally just extend the (M) to Queens Plaza or 71-Continental as well.

No mention of the (F) running to Euclid above that I can see. I presume we will see the (M) to 57th, though I'd personally just extend the (M) to Queens Plaza or 71-Continental as well.

It is going via Euclid. It's just in a note in the GO on the MTA site.

(F) service operates in two sections:

1. Between 179 St and Jay St-MetroTech, then via the to Euclid Av

2. Between 18 and Stillwell Avs

If it did not mention the (F) terminating at Euclid Avenue then where would it terminate if it's going via the (C) line? There is a reason why the (M) terminates at 57 Street-6th Avenue. I thought we went over this already, it costs too much to send the M to Qns Plaza or 71 Avenue.

During this G.O. the M-train is just being used as a substitute for the L-train, and in getting riders to midtown. Since the L-train dies not travel through Manhattan to Queens, this brand of the M-train does not need to do so. The 57th Street station is being used as a terminal - since the Sixth Avenue line has few places that can serve as a terminal.

The interesting part is that as useful as this M-train is (as a substitute for the L-train), there are still problem areas when compared to L-train service. The L-train has a great transfer to #4, #5 and #6 at Union Square along with the N, Q and R trains - which this version of the M-train does not. Persons attempting to get to the east-side of 14th Street and Manhattan during this G.O. are going to have to find alternatives, there are no direct pathways.

For example - a simple typical 30 minute trip from the Union Square or Third Avenue - 14th Street area to/from the Halsey Street area - under this G.O. - at a bare minimum will take an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and thirty minutes, involving a bus, train (or two), and another bus. Meaning double fares, and at least one suggestion of a complete circular round-about route.

The point is that the M-train is an attempt to help L-train riders, not an attempt to beef up Queens Blvd local service. Even if the M-train can not really replace the L-train it is something better than nothing. A look at past G.O.'s like this on the L-line shows how far they have come.

Mike

Guest lance25

Right now, it's a bit too much of a roundabout way for riders heading uptown to be really useful. From Broadway-Lafayette St, riders either have to pay another $2.25 for the uptown (6) (and (4) late nights) or take the downtown (6) to the Brooklyn Bridge to get back uptown. Now that's all fine and dandy if you're not in a rush or anything, but if you have things to do in a timely fashion, you probably don't have another five or ten minutes for the (6) to loop around City Hall on top of the time it takes to get to your destination.

It is funny, so many transit fans seem to love the original/basic IND subways, and at the same time make short shrift of the fact that the basic IND subways have the least amount of connections to the original IRT eastside lines.

So suggesting to riders that they take #6 downtown trains at Bleecker Street to Brooklyn Bridge (one stop away from the Fulton Street complex) when they wish to travel uptown is rich.

That's six stops for a round-about trip BEFORE starts to head where they want to go. When there's a G.O. at the Fulton Street complex (and there have been endless G.O.'s), the Broadway-Lafayette Street station with its downtown only connection to the #6 at Bleecker Street is a very poor substitute. It was laugh-able when the alternative directions guides suggeststed that #4 and #5 riders ride uptown to 14th Street, change for #6 downtown trains, all just because the A and C trains were re-routed at West 4th Street to get to/from Brooklyn.

The short REAL history is that the oldest and longest connection between the eastside IND and the IRT #4 and #5 lines is at the Fulton Street/Broadway-Nassau Street complex, between the A and now C trains.

The downtown only connection at Bleecker Street and Broadway-Lafayette Street occurred in the mid-1950's due to a station lengthening project that happened to break through a wall where the IND subway station was located.

The next connection to the IND subways for the #4, #5 and #6 lines occurred in the 1980's when the Citi-Corp Building opened, and they allowed use of their space for the a connection between the #6 51st Street, and the 53rd Street-Lexington Avenue IND station.

Folks should not have to travel long distances of out their way to try and get someplace. Not if there is a general wish that mass transit be used, because it is useful in a city like ours. Transit could be so much better.

Mike

Right now, it's a bit too much of a roundabout way for riders heading uptown to be really useful. From Broadway-Lafayette St, riders either have to pay another $2.25 for the uptown (6) (and (4) late nights) or take the downtown (6) to the Brooklyn Bridge to get back uptown. Now that's all fine and dandy if you're not in a rush or anything, but if you have things to do in a timely fashion, you probably don't have another five or ten minutes for the (6) to loop around City Hall on top of the time it takes to get to your destination.

Actually, for the (6), you can take the downtown (6) to Canal Street and cross over there OR take the (M) to anywhere between Myrtle and Essex and make a same platform transfer to the (J), taking that to Canal for the (6) OR if you're going to Union Square, do either of the above and take the (N) or (Q) at Canal OR simply for Union Square stay on the (M) to 14th/6th and walk the two blocks. For 59th-60th/3rd-Lex, you can also do the above and simply take the (N) there OR if you don't mind walking back a few blocks, take the (M) to where you can do a same platform transfer to the (F) and take that to 63rd (where if you need to go further uptown, you do have the OOS transfer). Of course, if you have an unlimited ride MetroCard, you can simply take the (M) to Broadway-Lafayette and walk over to get the uptown (6) at Bleecker.

This is where knowing your alternate routes is very important!

Actually, for the (6), you can take the downtown (6) to Canal Street and cross over there. [...] This is where knowing your alternate routes is very important!

As possible as that is, the transfer between the downtown and uptown (6) at Canal Street isn't all that simple (not that it's extremely difficult) and by that point in time, the (6) is basically at it's terminal, with the next stop being Brooklyn Bridge. With 4-6 minute headways on the (6) you probably would not save any time by transferring at Canal unless you luckily catch the train directly ahead of yours, which would be already en-route uptown to Canal St (if not passing it already) by the time you get off the downtown train there.

Just a point.

Archived