What's your favorite subway car?

SubwayMustang

As a conductor; R-68/68Afastest doors in the BMT/IND, period. R-32 doors were maybe a close second... but were second–and no, I don't like standing all day, thank you!

I've also noticed that the 68s/68As have the fastest closing doors in the system. I've always said to myself that I won't hesitate to put my hand between closing doors so that one or two people won't miss the train (which I have done many times) thou I don't think I would ever try that with a 68/68A.

I won't hesitate to put my hand between closing doors so that one or two people won't miss the train (which I have done many times) thou I don't think I would ever try that with a 68/68A.

CONDUCTOR'S RAGE sets in... :mad:

Nothing like a passenger holding the door when the train's running late, a bunch of other "good Samaritans" have been holding your doors already and you're probably not going to get a lunch on the other end because "that's you to go!" for the good of the service...

Nothing like a passenger holding the door when the train's running late, a bunch of other "good Samaritans" have been holding your doors already and you're probably not going to get a lunch on the other end because "that's you to go!" for the good of the service...

If they hold it too long, then they can cry about it when the train gets a skip and they have to get off and wait for the next one.

If they hold it too long, then they can cry about it when the train gets a skip and they have to get off and wait for the next one.

Call me an idiot, but I couldn't stare at granny as she watches me let the doors close on her. Besides, some of those headways are ridiculous. If it was a train during rush hour, I'm not gonna hold the doors. Thou when trains are running every twenty minutes (late nights) without a doubt I'm going to prevent the doors from closing.

I don't get the preference for the R142A over the R142. The ones I get on the 6 are bumpier, screetchier, noisier, have more rattles and aren't aging as well as the R142s I get on the 2 and 4/5.

Anyway my favorites are R46 for the design, yes dated now but great in its day. The R160s are doing well but Alstom over Siemans somewhat and the R142s. R68s are also good, but there's stuff about the interior and exterior design I don't like so much. I don't care about A or not with the R68s.

I don't get the preference for the R142A over the R142. The ones I get on the 6 are bumpier, screetchier, noisier, have more rattles and aren't aging as well as the R142s I get on the 2 and 4/5.

Anyway my favorites are R46 for the design, yes dated now but great in its day. The R160s are doing well but Alstom over Siemans somewhat and the R142s. R68s are also good, but there's stuff about the interior and exterior design I don't like so much. I don't care about A or not with the R68s.

BUT the R142A's are roomier, quiet, and clean!

I think thats cause Westchester Yd. doesn't take care of them. The ones I got on the 4 are great! No screeches, rattles, or bumpy. If you think the R142A's are noiser, then you should go on an R142 with HVAC. I can barely hear announcements with that killer loud HVAC...There was this 2 train that got held at TSQ, so I went to the N place in the complex and I can STILL hear that damn HVAC so far away....

I don't see any difference in the amount of room, I find the Bombardier train quieter. The HVAC is very noisy but the propulsion and wheel noise is less. The 6 trains are mostly what I get using the R142A so maybe the other yards do better because many of the 6 trains aren't that smooth anymore.

BUT the R142A's are roomier, quiet, and clean!

I think thats cause Westchester Yd. doesn't take care of them. The ones I got on the 4 are great! No screeches, rattles, or bumpy. If you think the R142A's are noiser, then you should go on an R142 with HVAC. I can barely hear announcements with that killer loud HVAC...There was this 2 train that got held at TSQ, so I went to the N place in the complex and I can STILL hear that damn HVAC so far away....

I don't see any difference in the amount of room, I find the Bombardier train quieter. The HVAC is very noisy but the propulsion and wheel noise is less. The 6 trains are mostly what I get using the R142A so maybe the other yards do better because many of the 6 trains aren't that smooth anymore.

Don't forget the the R142A's that are on the (4) have CBTC and are newer. About the train gap sounds, its cause some tracks are better than others. Its the same if you put the R142 on the (6). Yes, the propulsion is low on the R142 but it is damn annoying lol.

Call me an idiot, but I couldn't stare at granny as she watches me let the doors close on her. Besides, some of those headways are ridiculous. If it was a train during rush hour, I'm not gonna hold the doors. Thou when trains are running every twenty minutes (late nights) without a doubt I'm going to prevent the doors from closing.

Sorry, I'm not phased at this point. Most people holding doors aren't doing it for that mythical granny of yours... they're doing it for their retarded friends taking their time strutting to the train... those damn kids going car to car doing their dancing–oh I'd lay the No Soliciting announcements on then, I don't care about the dancing, don't slow the movement of the train down!–during Rush Hours scheduled running times allow for a few minutes of delays for heavy passenger service and Off-Peak, late night Bulletins allow for allowing passengers extra time to entrain... but if your able-bodied buddy is still downstairs getting a MetroCard after awhile everyone's going to hear Please stand clear of the closing doors, you're holding everybody up from getting where they want to go! Heck's yes it works.

No telling when the feature will be used, though. Maybe when that award for the Flushing line goes through, those will be their first test trains...

Can someone answer this question responsibly: do the R142As on the 4 have CBTC installed or not? I've read that they don't and that they're identical to the rest of the R142As, but I also read that they do. So, what's the case?

Archived