Duct tape on an R38!

metsfan

That train was an R38...and I think it's called bonding tape, not to hold the train together but to control air pressure.

Yeah, I don't think it's duct tape either. Probably some more powerful adhesive that isn't easily obtainable on the market.

Yeah, I don't think it's duct tape either. Probably some more powerful adhesive that isn't easily obtainable on the market.

The rusted joint between the panels leak major air in tunnels i guess. Would add drag and be really, really noisy.

As far as the tape itself goes... bonding tape is some kind of micro mesh that acts as "rebar" for the adhesive. In this case the adhesive is the same kind they use to glue together certain kinds of tunnel sections, because it deals with moisture and varying temperatures very well. Some really old still in service pullman cars have this stuff all over it. A guy who works for the new hope & ivyland railroad here in PA gave me all this info as they use very old cars and have it everywhere possible to keep them from deteriorating.

- Andy

Archived