PA numbers?

mercurygrandmarquis1

Out on LI, MSBA had (I think) 33 Flxible Metros purchased through Port Authority as well, PA1000 to PA1019 were Mitchell Field buses usually assigned to N20/21, N23, N28, N58 and occasionally N22, N24, N45 and N70-71-72. The Rockville Center buses usually ran N31-32, maybe N4 as well, can't swear to that, as I never worked Rockville Center.

Originally, the dispatchers were pretty diligent about making sure the PA10XX buses made Queens-bound or such connected lines, but when things became a little looser, you could see them on the N70-72 routed as they required wheelchair assessable service, and the N45 as it served the Cerebral Palsy Center in Roosevelt. I worked a weekday split on the N45 that got PA buses (and students drivers too) for just that reason, and it was a pretty sweet deal as they had to have working (or semi-working) A/C, when we still had a mixed fleet of GMC New Looks and Flxible New Looks that hadn't seen a working A/C since the Carter Administration... but I digress.

Out on LI, MSBA had (I think) 33 Flxible Metros purchased through Port Authority as well, PA1000 to PA1019 were Mitchell Field buses usually assigned to N20/21, N23, N28, N58 and occasionally N22, N24, N45 and N70-71-72. The Rockville Center buses usually ran N31-32, maybe N4 as well, can't swear to that, as I never worked Rockville Center.

Originally, the dispatchers were pretty diligent about making sure the PA10XX buses made Queens-bound or such connected lines, but when things became a little looser, you could see them on the N70-72 routed as they required wheelchair assessable service, and the N45 as it served the Cerebral Palsy Center in Roosevelt. I worked a weekday split on the N45 that got PA buses (and students drivers too) for just that reason, and it was a pretty sweet deal as they had to have working (or semi-working) A/C, when we still had a mixed fleet of GMC New Looks and Flxible New Looks that hadn't seen a working A/C since the Carter Administration... but I digress.

Also there were PA 987-PA999

Joe

Also there were PA 987-PA999

Joe

Now that you mention it, I remember PA996... good call. I really didn't remember that.

Those Grumman Flxibles were a mixed bag, much less uniformly well built (or well maintained maybe) than the Metro's that came later. I do remember, however, that 945 was a fast bus, and 985 was a fine bus too. 949 was a dog, and if I remember right, had a collision with a house in Hicksville at the south entrance to Mid-Island Mall (is that even still there?), and was even worse when rebuilt. Needed wipers on the inside of the windshield for all the leaking it did. Good think it wasn't a submarine...

Now that you mention it, I remember PA996... good call. I really didn't remember that.

Those Grumman Flxibles were a mixed bag, much less uniformly well built (or well maintained maybe) than the Metro's that came later. I do remember, however, that 945 was a fast bus, and 985 was a fine bus too. 949 was a dog, and if I remember right, had a collision with a house in Hicksville at the south entrance to Mid-Island Mall (is that even still there?), and was even worse when rebuilt. Needed wipers on the inside of the windshield for all the leaking it did. Good think it wasn't a submarine...

i believe 939 hit the house in hicksville.

Joe

Archived