DC Metro Subway gets to work on ‘transition’ map

Shortline Bus

"For the first time in almost four decades, Metro’s iconic map is undergoing a facelift. But the draft version of its new look is missing something: the Dulles line.

The first phase of the Dulles line is shown, but not the full extension, which will have 23 miles of track and 11 stations and stretch from Tysons Corner to Dulles International Airport and Loudoun County. Part of the problem is that there has been no official decision on what to call the new rail line.

The Dulles line has been called the Silver Line, but Metro officials and the map designer — Lance Wyman of New York — are not sold on the grayish color.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/metro-gets-to-work-on-transition-map/2011/08/29/gIQASe734J_story.html

post-3473-133288582656_thumb.jpg

post-3473-133288582656_thumb.jpg

I don't understand why they're procrastinating on a line color so much. Just go with Silver, as it has been called unofficially, and stick with it. I haven't a clue as to why they're even considering Orange. Adding another Orange line adds too much confusion. They just need to make thinner lines for Blue, Orange, and Silver line service between Rosslyn and Stadium-Armory.

The way the Silver line looks on the map, it makes it look like it's just a shuttle service from West Falls Church to Wiehle Avenue. The map also refers to the extension as "planned." It's no longer planned...construction is well underway and ahead of schedule. Additionally, the Silver line is supposed to terminate at Stadium-Armory; that station isn't designated as a terminal station on the map. There are a lot of things wrong with the map, but it's still just a concept, thankfully.

I don't understand why they're procrastinating on a line color so much. Just go with Silver, as it has been called unofficially, and stick with it. I haven't a clue as to why they're even considering Orange. Adding another Orange line adds too much confusion. They just need to make thinner lines for Blue, Orange, and Silver line service between Rosslyn and Stadium-Armory.

The way the Silver line looks on the map, it makes it look like it's just a shuttle service from West Falls Church to Wiehle Avenue. The map also refers to the extension as "planned." It's no longer planned...construction is well underway and ahead of schedule. Additionally, the Silver line is supposed to terminate at Stadium-Armory; that station isn't designated as a terminal station on the map. There are a lot of things wrong with the map, but it's still just a concept, thankfully.

Or an alternative besides 'silver' could be brown. I know in NYC, it's not the most popular color for the (J) line but at least it should easy to see on the map. Just a thought from someone who only been on the DC metro a few times so far in my life.:confused:

WMATA

They just need to make thinner lines for Blue, Orange, and Silver line service between Rosslyn and Stadium-Armory.

That was an option in the survey:

Graphic.php?IM=IM_3yK0DjGNTvvLnI8

Draft map.

Graphic.php?IM=IM_9HTFMzKWoqIzfSI

Option for inclusion on the published map.

Welcome to the site, Sand Box John! I always enjoy your posts on Railroad.net (as a guest). I made my post before taking survey so I'm glad it's at least an option.

Off topic, but any word on if they've settled in on the final design for the 7000 series? They said sometime later in the summer when they put the plywood model on display in July.

WMATA;480070

Off topic, but any word on if they've settled in on the final design for the 7000 series? They said sometime later in the summer when they put the plywood model on display in July.

I have neither heard or read anything. The configuration of the car interiors is peanuts compared to the overall design and construction of the cars. Kawasaki can begin contracting with its vendor to supply the various structural and mechanical components long before WMATA finalizes the interior configuration of the cars. The decision on what interior fitting will be used is pretty much finalized. The only thing left to do is deciding how to arrange them and what colors they will be.

Shortline Bus

Dumb question. Why was "Silver' chosen as the name for the new Dulles airport branch of the Orange line? I only visit the DC area every year or two so just curious.:confused:

I have no idea of the origin of who or what entity attached the Silver label to the line. I am guessing it was the parties that prepared the Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Dulles Corridor Transit Project as the first reference using the Silver line label that I know of is in said document. Page 41 Volume I Chapter 2 – Alternatives Considered (1.62 MB PDF file).

Technically speaking the new line is not a branch off the Orange line but a line unto itself. The total length of the line from Stadium-Armory to Ashburn (VA 772) is roughly 35.50 miles. The total length of N route from the future N route junction (K and N Junction) east of the West Falls Church station to Ashburn (VA 772) is roughly 22.75 miles. 13.26 miles of the line shares trackage along the C, D and K routes of the Orange line from the future junction to Stadium-Armory.

Below is a list of line lengths measured from center of platform terminal to terminal:

Red line: Shady Grove Glenmont

53.85 km 33.46 miles

Blue Line: Springfield - Franconia Largo

47.90 km 29.76 miles

Orange line: New Carrollton Vienna

41.95 km 26.06 miles

Green line: Greenbelt Branch Avenue

36.81 km 19.88 miles

Yellow line: Mount Vernon Square Huntington

15.95 km 09.91 miles

Silver line: Stadium - Armory Ashburn (VA 772)

57.36 km 35.64 miles

On a related note, the Purple line (light rail line between Bethesda an New Carrollton) was coined by former Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan 1994 to 2006.

Shortline Bus

Dumb question. Why was "Silver' chosen as the name for the new Dulles airport branch of the Orange line? I only visit the DC area every year or two so just curious.:confused:

I have no idea of the origin of who or what entity attached the Silver label to the line. I am guessing it was the parties that prepared the Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Dulles Corridor Transit Project as the first reference using the Silver line label that I know of is in said document. Page 41 Volume I Chapter 2 – Alternatives Considered (1.62 MB PDF file).

Technically speaking the new line is not a branch off the Orange line but a line unto itself. The total length of the line from Stadium-Armory to Ashburn (VA 772) is roughly 35.50 miles. The total length of N route from the future N route junction (K and N Junction) east of the West Falls Church station to Ashburn (VA 772) is roughly 22.75 miles. 13.26 miles of the line shares trackage along the C, D and K routes of the Orange line from the future junction to Stadium-Armory.

Below is a list of line lengths measured from center of platform terminal to terminal:

Red line: Shady Grove Glenmont

53.85 km 33.46 miles

Blue Line: Springfield - Franconia Largo

47.90 km 29.76 miles

Orange line: New Carrollton Vienna

41.95 km 26.06 miles

Green line: Greenbelt Branch Avenue

36.81 km 19.88 miles

Yellow line: Mount Vernon Square Huntington

15.95 km 09.91 miles

Silver line: Stadium-Armory Ashburn (VA 772)

57.36 km 35.64 miles

On a related note, the Purple line (light rail line between Bethesda an New Carrollton) was coined by former Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan who served in that position from 1994 to 2006.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived