Transit Industry News & Current Events

East New York

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here we have it folks, some good ol' NovaBus LFS CNG. I personally LOVE the way this thing looks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vehicle-images/8898944001/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vehicle-images/8899564648/in/photostream/

Good lord, that looks.... genius.

Yeah.... I trying not to use the same words over and over again....

And here we have it folks, some good ol' NovaBus LFS CNG. I personally LOVE the way this thing looks!

Way better than the first pics released.

I can only wish for it's success down here in Cali.

Nova, WHY?! I swear, I find CNG buses to be extremely aesthetically unappealing. I mean, the Nova LFS is still sexy as hell, but that hump is just something I hate looking at.

Nova, WHY?! I swear, I find CNG buses to be extremely aesthetically unappealing. I mean, the Nova LFS is still sexy as hell, but that hump is just something I hate looking at.

It could have been more streamlined like the XN40, but it's not so bad. Hopefully they'll improve.

Réseau de transport de la Capitale (RTC) have ordered 33 LFS for this year to replace older 1st gen LFS's along with a tag on order of 33 LFS to be spit with both Réseau de transport de Longueuil (RTL) and Société de transport de Laval (STL). This is an emergency order for 2013 as the province's (ATUQ) order in 2014 is for LFS HEV. To make service this year RTL has even bought back some retired Classics to make service.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/actualites/transports/201306/05/01-4658237-le-rtc-autorise-a-effectuer-un-achat-pressant-dautobus.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B13b_la-capitale_577_section_POS4

• 1 year later...

NFTA: FIRST LFS NATURAL GAS BUS PARTNERSHIP IN THE UNITED STATES FOR NOVA BUS

Nova Bus has confirmed an $11 million contract with Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) for 20 LFS Natural Gas buses, with options for up to 166 buses over the following 5 years. Buses will run in the streets of the Buffalo Niagara region starting in early 2016.

NFTA plans to use the new Nova LFS Natural Gas to replace vehicles that were purchased between 1996 and 2000 and have exceeded their useful lives. The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority oversees public transportation in Erie and Niagara counties in New York State and contributes to quality of life improvements in the Buffalo Niagara region, such as smart mobility. 

“Renewing our partnership with NFTA is a welcome opportunity to strengthen our presence in the State of New York,” said Jean-Pierre Baracat, President of Nova Bus. “Nova Bus is celebrating the fifth anniversary of its Plattsburgh plant this year and we are thrilled to sign a new contract with fellow New Yorkers NFTA,” he added.

The buses will be assembled in New York State and meet Buy America requirements. Nova Bus and the Volvo Group rely on a network of more than 350 component suppliers in the United States, including 47 in New York State alone.

Read more from Source: NovaBus

Nova Bus has confirmed an $11 million contract with Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) for 20 LFS Natural Gas buses, with options for up to 166 buses over the following 5 years. Buses will run in the streets of the Buffalo Niagara region starting in early 2016.

NFTA plans to use the new Nova LFS Natural Gas to replace vehicles that were purchased between 1996 and 2000 and have exceeded their useful lives. The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority oversees public transportation in Erie and Niagara counties in New York State and contributes to quality of life improvements in the Buffalo Niagara region, such as smart mobility. 

“Renewing our partnership with NFTA is a welcome opportunity to strengthen our presence in the State of New York,” said Jean-Pierre Baracat, President of Nova Bus. “Nova Bus is celebrating the fifth anniversary of its Plattsburgh plant this year and we are thrilled to sign a new contract with fellow New Yorkers NFTA,” he added.

The buses will be assembled in New York State and meet Buy America requirements. Nova Bus and the Volvo Group rely on a network of more than 350 component suppliers in the United States, including 47 in New York State alone.

This COULD be interesting! I wish NovaBus well with their CNG buses.

Hamilton Ontario's HSR is also getting LFS CNGs 

• 1 year later...

Follow up of NFTA's CNG Pilot. As of right now, it is reported that Nova is celebrating a smooth introduction of the CNG model, with only minor issues that are to be expected with any new model. I will closly monitor these buses myself to see how Nova will fair in the natural gas market.

nfta-768x576.jpg

Photo Courtesy NFTA

• 1 year later...
On 2/17/2016 at 2:08 AM, East New York said:

Follow up of NFTA's CNG Pilot. As of right now, it is reported that Nova is celebrating a smooth introduction of the CNG model, with only minor issues that are to be expected with any new model. I will closly monitor these buses myself to see how Nova will fair in the natural gas market.

nfta-768x576.jpg

Photo Courtesy NFTA

I know I shouldn't be bumping old thread, but after long hiatus due to moving out of the city, and getting to ride these first hand. These buses are amazing the MTA is really missing out with all their investments with New Flyer. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, James Goodwin said:

What's taking Nova so long to deploy buses? Those 2016-2017 Nova LFSAs should have been here and over with already.

5439 went to be wrapped in the new scheme and fitted with the new driver/passenger amenities. (Pedestrian warning system, monitors, passenger counting, etc.)

I don’t think Nova is bad even though they are incredibly late with this order. Buses get sent back to New Flyer all the time for different reasons. I tend to like Nova’s ride quality better than New Flyer’s (LFSA vs. XD60). New Flyer feels like they’re pushing the entire order out in like a day. Nova goes pretty slowly. Ehhhhh, it’s a hard balance. Maybe Nova is incredibly busy with other bus orders because their quality is good.

2 hours ago, James Goodwin said:

No wonder why the MTA is giving the bigger balance of the new fleets to New Flyer. They tend to deliver buses much quicker. Look, we are already seeing our first XN60s coming in for testing. Nova can't even deliver #5440. 

Nova's U.S. factory is in Plattsburgh, NY (about 320 miles from NYC).  New Flyer's U.S. factory is in St. Cloud, MN (almost 1300 miles).

How does New Flyer deliver faster from four times as far away?

Archived