Transit Industry News & Current Events

East New York

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Nova's U.S. factory is in Plattsburgh, NY (about 320 miles from NYC).  New Flyer's U.S. factory is in St. Cloud, MN (almost 1300 miles).

How does New Flyer deliver faster from four times as far away?

New Flyer is also installing a plant in Western New York, near Buffalo in the near future.

https://esd.ny.gov/esd-media-center/press-releases/esd-announces-grand-opening-new-flyer-bus-manufacturing-company

Source: Empire State Development Press release. Dated: 1/26/17.

8 hours ago, James Goodwin said:

No wonder why the MTA is giving the bigger balance of the new fleets to New Flyer. They tend to deliver buses much quicker. Look, we are already seeing our first XN60s coming in for testing. Nova can't even deliver #5440. Were the RTS deliveries this bad back in the late 90s?

I think the problem is that Nova had more demand than capacity to produce them. Buffalo just finished reviving their order of cng buses and are now receiving their order of diesel buses.  Their factory seems to be producing a lot of buses for a lot of places.  IIRC that factory is the only one in the US too.

14 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I think the problem is that Nova had more demand than capacity to produce them. Buffalo just finished reviving their order of cng buses and are now receiving their order of diesel buses.  Their factory seems to be producing a lot of buses for a lot of places.  IIRC that factory is the only one in the US too.

Not so much....

With our order, there's been various spec changes and such. Rumor has it that the rear doors will be changed to the door style of 5311(plug style doors), among other things.

It's likely that the MTA is delaying the deliveries to get these things worked out.

On 10/29/2017 at 4:54 PM, Cait Sith said:

Not so much....

With our order, there's been various spec changes and such. Rumor has it that the rear doors will be changed to the door style of 5311(plug style doors), among other things.

It's likely that the MTA is delaying the deliveries to get these things worked out.

wouldn't be surprised considering how many variations of the LFS we already have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 5:44 PM, mrmallard said:

besides  the nycta  order  and  bufflo   and via  what  has nov  on order  in us.

what has nycta order  but haven't taken delivery  yet

I think RN they are working on Canadian orders, and Buffalo's diesel order.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:35 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Honestly, they should spec them like TTC, wide inward opening doors. The plug style doors are nice but I feel like they’re prone to being leaned on, since it opens like a train. 

Plug doors are actually better for capacity reasons, since the plug doors just shove people in, as opposed to the inward opening doors that force you to clear a certain area of passengers.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, IAlam said:

I'm not going to say its a bad design change, but I'm disappointed because it ruins the signature look of the bus. 

5 hours ago, OIG119 said:

On page 11 it's listed as a design change.

As it's stated Nova LFS "Signature look" Created a blind spot on the driver side hence the change in design for the Phase 2 deliveries of our upcoming LFS 40 & 60. However I got to give effort where its due on the MTA's part for requesting such a change in this Model. I mean in my opinion that "signature look" was a design flaw from day one; crazy how the other consumers of the Nova LFS never cared enough to request this change sooner...I thought one of Volvo/Nova's goal was "SAFETY" so how this design lasted this long is remarkable. On the bright side however I personal think this is a step in the right direction for Nova, hopefully they take it a step further and update the front end on a 5th gen LFS, lol ....

When I saw 5450 on the M34A today the text on the sign looked weird. It seems as if it needs to be reformatted to fit the display of the bus. However, the other Nova's (5444, 5447) looked fine when I last saw them on the M86. So I'm assuming it's an issue with the display for the M34/A

24 minutes ago, IAlam said:

When I saw 5450 on the M34A today the text on the sign looked weird. It seems as if it needs to be reformatted to fit the display of the bus. However, the other Nova's (5444, 5447) looked fine when I last saw them on the M86. So I'm assuming it's an issue with the display for the M34/A

Probably the font size used in conjunction with the Hanovers. Not sure how different programming is between the Hanovers, Luminators, and Axioms but a similar case can be observed for the B35. For the McDonald Av trips, the Luminators on the C40LFs and Orions would display "B35 McDONALD AV" but the XN40s would display "B35 MCDONALD"

On 10/29/2017 at 1:33 PM, Future ENY OP said:

New Flyer is also installing a plant in Western New York, near Buffalo in the near future.

https://esd.ny.gov/esd-media-center/press-releases/esd-announces-grand-opening-new-flyer-bus-manufacturing-company

Source: Empire State Development Press release. Dated: 1/26/17.

That's already open. It's not a full production plant, its for parts and other things.

• 1 month later...
On January 23, 2018 at 12:01 AM, IAlam said:

On page 25 of the report, the driver's side window looks very different. Is this a possible design change a or poor drawing?

On January 23, 2018 at 6:21 AM, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

As it's stated Nova LFS "Signature look" Created a blind spot on the driver side hence the change in design for the Phase 2 deliveries of our upcoming LFS 40 & 60. However I got to give effort where its due on the MTA's part for requesting such a change in this Model. I mean in my opinion that "signature look" was a design flaw from day one; crazy how the other consumers of the Nova LFS never cared enough to request this change sooner...I thought one of Volvo/Nova's goal was "SAFETY" so how this design lasted this long is remarkable. On the bright side however I personal think this is a step in the right direction for Nova, hopefully they take it a step further and update the front end on a 5th gen LFS, lol ....

Turns out thats a new option that Nova is offering to everyone after NYCT requested it... 

The MTA order will debut this new feature 

visibilite_chauffeur_fr_1500x100-1431x95

On 3/18/2018 at 3:59 PM, Around the Horn said:

Turns out thats a new option that Nova is offering to everyone after NYCT requested it... 

The MTA order will debut this new feature 

visibilite_chauffeur_fr_1500x100-1431x95

The window reminds me of something I'd see on the Orions

*****Good day everyone. I'm going to begin the process of merging the individual manufacturer threads all into one. Since manufacturers seldom post major news and information on a regular basis, it makes sense for all discussions to be held here.

To begin this revised thread, I would like to announce that MCI was able to celebrate the first ever order for the D45CRT LE over the weekend. 

image.png.29ce25d645b8bc88316b6f08b6ee1468.pngRead all about it at The MCI Media Center.

image.png.df2feb835a75495b6630ba3e50dd9470.png

Photo & BVRT artist rendering courtesy : Motor Coach Industries - A New Flyer Company

As of this topic, SEPTA’s Nova Artics, #s 7335-7341, 7343-7354, & 7416-7438 operate out of the Midvale District. 

Ok, well: 7416-7420 have WIFI installed in them but will have them all on the other buses as well. 

7417, 7422 & 7423 have “Caution, Bus is turning” installed in them as to those that have been stalled on the newly arrived NF Xcelisors 3000 Series, DE41LF, 8120-8339, NFD40LFs 8000-8119, the 4600 series and some Novas LFS 8600 higher series operating out of the Comly District. 

These have been on Comly’s 7444-7454 since the inception of the Blvd Direct Service in October of last year

• Harry unpinned this topic

Archived