Transit Industry News & Current Events

East New York

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The newest LFS operated by STM, BC Transit,RTL, SJSR, and others up in Canada are reported to be experiencing rotting subfloors

I hope this wont be a problem with the (MTA)

Where did you hear this? That doesn't make sense, I could understand for possibly the older buses, but not the new. I believe they have a composite floor compared to the older wood subfloor.

Where did you hear this? That doesn't make sense, I could understand for possibly the older buses, but not the new. I believe they have a composite floor compared to the older wood subfloor.

From two mechanics from BC Transit on Facebook, they were discussing it as we'll as the STM/Quebec ones

Here, It's actually only affecting the 2009 batch:

552133_10152099803170147_1628031570_n.jpg

"Rotting subfloors so far, they're not even 3 years old, it started happening last year. May be more problems; but I'm not sure.

These Nova's are in the garage more often than our D40LF', and the floors on all Canada LFS' are rotting, RTL/STM/SJSR"

i thought the winner of bt&e replaces the orion v diesels...and charleston has orion v's

This order is to replace more RTS' than Orion V's. Not only that, but just because a depot has buses that need to be replaced doesn't mean they will get new ones. They could rotate older buses in to replace the V's.

As trashed as those buses are, they are not that far up there in age.

Those things are 13-14 years old.....

From two mechanics from BC Transit on Facebook, they were discussing it as we'll as the STM/Quebec ones

Here, It's actually only affecting the 2009 batch:

552133_10152099803170147_1628031570_n.jpg

"Rotting subfloors so far, they're not even 3 years old, it started happening last year. May be more problems; but I'm not sure.

These Nova's are in the garage more often than our D40LF', and the floors on all Canada LFS' are rotting, RTL/STM/SJSR"

A couple of mechanics on facebook ... um, OK.

This could be as simple as a problem with a subcontractor - I wouldn't trash the entire LFS series based on this.

A couple of mechanics on facebook ... um, OK.

This could be as simple as a problem with a subcontractor - I wouldn't trash the entire LFS series based on this.

I don't trash this bus lol and those are prime sources where I got that info from.

I love the LFS was just posting this.

Oh and:

SEPTA's Novabuses start delivery tomorrow (the first 14 of 85 left Plattsville this morning

from another source

I don't trash this bus lol and those are prime sources where I got that info from.

I love the LFS was just posting this.

Oh and:

SEPTA's Novabuses start delivery tomorrow (the first 14 of 85 left Plattsville this morning

from another source

The SEPTA buses are not even scheduled to be built this year. Where did you get that information? And just so you know it's Plattsburgh.

• 2 weeks later...

The newest LFS operated by STM, BC Transit,RTL, SJSR, and others up in Canada are reported to be experiencing rotting subfloors

I hope this wont be a problem with the (MTA)

Rotting on MTA buses no. But on 126's LFSAs, there's a handful of them that the floor has developed soft spots. I believe this is due to breakage, not rotting. Not %100 on that because it's not our job to fix them. The composite floor on these buses is under warranty for the life of the bus. When we get a bus with soft spots in the floor, we call Nova and they send 2 guys all the way from Canada down to come and fix them.

CAPITAL METRO PARTNERS WITH NOVA BUS

•  

In the attached local TV news report, Peter Rogoff, Administrator of the Federal Transit Administration in the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), was in Austin to deliver a $38 million grant for the new MetroRapid bus project run by the Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

The project will bring new Nova Bus vehicles (purchasing options for up to 80) and 77 new stations to the city areas with the highest and most dense ridership. All buses will be equipped with a signal priority technology that will allow them to extend green lights as they approach intersections.

Bus Rapid Transit combines the best of rail and bus services. It is an affordable transportation solution with a proven track record and quick start of operations.

“We will have dedicated bus lanes in the downtown area and it will make the transit trips much faster and easier to use for the community,” mentioned Linda Watson, President and CEO of Capital Metro in an interview with local TV news.

To optimize the fuel efficiency of their vehicles, Capital Metro has opted for the Nova eCooling system, Nova Bus’ proprietary electric engine cooling system. The vehicles also come with a wealth of competitive advantages such as the proven HePEX system, made of cross-linked polyethylene tubing that is light, easy to maintain and corrosion resistant. The HePEX system will mean significant reduction in life cycle cost in terms of materials and labor for Capital Metro.

In the same news report, Peter Rogoff concluded: “When seeing the wheel congestion figures that come out the surveys we do across America, it is very clear that this kind of solution can be a cost-effective way of enabling people to keep money in their pocket rather than handlling it at the gas pump”.

This project investment will be conducive to the economic development of the City of Austin and attractive to new riders. Capital Metro expects 20,000 boardings a day when the service starts in 2014.

http://www.novabus.com/october-2012/capital-metro-partners-with-nova-bus.html

METRO HOUSTON, TX, SELECTS THE LFS ARTIC

Fg_Corner.gif

After a successful 6-month trial period with two 40-ft LFS buses, the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County selected Nova Bus to provide 70 articulated buses.

http://www.novabus.c...tober-2012.html

I don't know why these transit operators order 1 bus after testing a different bus. It's not smart to order artics after only testing the 40 footers. The artics have a whole different set of problems different from that of its 40 foot counterparts...

I don't know why these transit operators order 1 bus after testing a different bus. It's not smart to order artics after only testing the 40 footers. The artics have a whole different set of problems different from that of its 40 foot counterparts...

It's that mentality that an Artic is just the same bus only 22.5 ft longer. That isn't the only case.... lol

Nova is really breaking in the US market. And after looking at TTCs Nova LFSA, they are now my favorite Articulated bus. I've been a NFI Fan all my life, but Nova seems to be breaking in my Brain Market too. lol

Again Nova and Gillig are the reason for the death of Orion.

New Flyer has most of the US market share, but I guess you could blame all 3, even NABI maybe.

New Flyer has had the biggest North American share for a while now. With Nova back in the USA market and offering artics , Gillig now offering CNG. This left Orion with even less customer base in a marketplace that has been ordering less and less buses the past few years. Also part of it is way Orion treated past customers. NABI never really had any affect on Orion.

• 4 weeks later...

NOVA BUS UNVEILS ITS ELECTRIC BUS PROJECT

Fg_Corner.gifElaineZakaib_v2.jpg

On September 27, Nova Bus welcomed the Minister for Industrial Policy and the Economic Development Bank of Quebec, Élaine Zakaïb, for a press conference to present the progress made on its electric transit bus project. “We have great confidence in this innovation, which will offer our transit authorities a made-in-Quebec solution that generates 0% greenhouse gas emissions,” Zakaïb said. During the event, members of the media and guests also had the opportunity to board the prototype for a test drive.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

BREAKTHROUGH ORDER FOR NOVA BUS IN TORONTO

Nova Bus has secured an order valued at $143 million for up to 153 articulated buses for the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC). Delivery of the first 27 LFS Artic is scheduled for 2013.

“Being selected to provide Canada’s largest transit authority with the latest generation of articulated vehicles is a tremendous opportunity and another milestone in strengthening our position in North America,” said Gilles Dion, President and CEO of Nova Bus. “We are proud that the TTC has opted to partner with Nova Bus. We look forward to building a long-lasting relationship and providing them with vehicles that contribute to the development of public transit in the Greater Toronto Area.”

The corrosion- and fatigue-resistant stainless steel structure of the LFS Artic, as well as its proven track record and overall design were key features for the TTC. Nova Bus vehicles for the TTC will be entirely assembled in Canada and feature a high level of Canadian content.

Since launching production of the LFS Artic, Nova Bus has been awarded contracts in North American cities such as Montreal, New York City, Austin (TX), Quebec City, Halifax, Saskatoon, and Niagara Falls.

The 62-foot LFS Artic is designed to handle high-volume routes. The vehicle delivers passenger capacity, onboard fluidity and easy maneuverability for an optimal ride.

- 30 -

St-Eustache, October 3, 2012

For further information, please contact Nadine Bernard, 514 898-6058, nadine.bernard@volvo.com.

http://www.novabus.com/index.html

Note: Info also posted for discussion in the TTC thread.

Archived