Transit Industry News & Current Events

East New York

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston Metro to receive Nova artics

NovaBus_MetroHouston.jpg

Nova Bus will deliver 70 articulated buses to Houston-based Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County(Metro) over the next year. The order is valued at approximately $48 million.

Metro is the region’s largest public transit system. It operates more than 1,200 buses and 370,000 times a day people use a Metro service.

Metro’s new high-capacity buses will be used to renew Metro’s bus fleet and will be put into regular service. The articulated vehicles will be able to carry up to 112 passengers along any city streets, thanks to their similar maneuverability to 40-foot buses. Nova Bus’ LFS Artic buses are currently in operation in large urban centers including New York City and Montreal.

The vehicles will come equipped with Nova Bus’ proprietary electric engine cooling system, resulting in significant fuel savings, reduced greenhouse gas emissions and competitive lifecycle costs. The vehicles will also feature Nova Bus’ latest transit bus interior, a design based on client and focus group feedback as well as inspired by other industries such as aerospace and rail transportation.

The order will be assembled at Nova Bus’ plant in Plattsburgh, N.Y. Nova Bus is part of the Volvo Group, which employs approximately 12,000 workers in the U.S. in seven production facilities.

http://www.metro-mag...ium=Enewsletter

New Flyer has most of the US market share, but I guess you could blame all 3, even NABI maybe.

I think that NABI is dying a slow death too---and that in a few years, it will be between Nova, Gillig, and New Flyer. The big NJT order is currently well below market price for a new bus.

Hmmm...only 2 doors on this Nova Artic?

You can specify that.

I think that NABI is dying a slow death too---and that in a few years, it will be between Nova, Gillig, and New Flyer. The big NJT order is currently well below market price for a new bus.

I wouldn't say that, especially that they are getting the boost they needed from New Jersey Transit. Had they failed that order, they'd be dead already.

I'm actually quite surprised that Houston is opting for the LFSs, I always thought they'd be on that New Flyer hotseat...

Does anyone think that Novabus LFSA in the video is for MTA...since it has the same roofline and same outside specs??

No, it's a Halifax unit. The video was shot at their Quebec plant, and the NYC Artics are built in Plattsburgh NY.

I wouldn't say that, especially that they are getting the boost they needed from New Jersey Transit. Had they failed that order, they'd be dead already.

I'm actually quite surprised that Houston is opting for the LFSs, I always thought they'd be on that New Flyer hotseat...

NABI, dead? Ha! These guys need to get out of the 5 boroughs now and then. I will say though that NJT kept NABI afloat and relevant regarding manufactuers.

Those battery packs look borderline dangerous, that's gotta really mess with the center of gravity on those buses considering how much those packs weigh. You'd get lean like in the RTS CNG days, something else...

Reminds me of the original Command RTS's with the DD50G.

I hope so lol, but NABI's been getting some big orders lately so IDK. Though IIRC NABI has around the same market share Orion had, like around 10% or something like that.

Also theres a huge 900 bus order pending with LACMTA, and theres still roughly 750 Compo bus options still on the table with LACMTA who has been taking some of them.

Also theres a huge 900 bus order pending with LACMTA, and theres still roughly 750 Compo bus options still on the table with LACMTA who has been taking some of them.

Other TAs in the state I live in have also been keeping NABI around as well. Getting back on topic makes me wonder how many TAs have ordered the hybrid version of the LFS.

Getting back on topic makes me wonder how many TAs have ordered the hybrid version of the LFS.

As far as I know: CT Transit (60-footers), Duke University (60-footers), SEPTA (40- and 60-footers on order), LYNX (60-footers on order)

In Canada: Banff, Grand River Transit, Strathcona, TransLink (Vancouver), Brantford and a number of Quebec TAs (all 40-footers).

Also remember NABI has that huge Dallas (DART) order plus finishing off LAMTA order plus they have quite a few small orders as well to keep them busy the next few years.

This Dion guy sounds like a major douchebag. Just read...

Nova Bus will stand on the podium for several reasons, Dion argues: some important manufacturers like Daimler Buses have decided to exit North America; Dion said he “likes to think that we helped Orion” a once large Mississauga-based bus maker, “to withdraw from the market”; Nova can rely on the global reach and resources of Volvo, whose Volvo Bus Corp. division is the world’s second-largest city-bus maker; and Quebec’s clean electricity will be a big selling point in sales pitches to transit commissions and cities all over the world.

What an a**hole, or so he can better understand, Il est un abruti.

Confidence.

This is a person I want to be in charge in building my buses. Other companies don't talk like this. Hopefully Novas Buses are built up to his standard and cocky-ness. Apparently they're good with warranty, parts and customer service too, Something Orion failed in! Especially when it came to parts. But I'm sure other TA experienced it differently.

Yes, I do have to agree on that front, but why slander a manufactuer that is dead and gone? That's unethical in so many ways.

Its good, because if this bus fails in anyway shape or form, this person will have a black cloud over his head where ever he goes, even if he leaves Nova. So in some ways he's putting pressure on himself, which in turns should put pressure on whoever is actually building the bus. It goes down the list of command. It should anyways....hopefully....

Yes, I do have to agree on that front, but why slander a manufactuer that is dead and gone? That's unethical in so many ways.

It's not slander - he's telling the truth. Hard to believe that Nova's resurgence in the United States didn't play at least some part in Daimler's decision to pull the plug on Orion.

• 1 month later...

Archived