New Bus Qualification Program Overview

East New York

I'm a little confused.

It appears that fleet # changes b/w YUK and UP for the prevosts.

This is the MTA for us all.

Thanks! I forgot to update that. I got the modified prelim. assignments for the Prevosts yesterday. I just haven't had a chance to review or update them yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the 5773 LFSA part of this new order of the XD60 or not?

What?? I have no idea what you are asking. But I will try..... The LFSA's are not test buses. The XD60's, which are totally different buses are. The first page of this thread tells you everything you need to know.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Major updates on all buses and their current BTE standings coming this weekend. This also includes the RTS.

A fully detailed overview has been delayed a week because I have been running all over the city conducting phase 1 of my Bus Ops. Evaluation, and quite a few things have changed and/or developed.

Preliminary findinds on a scale of 1 to 5

NFI XD40 - 4.25

Nova LFS - 3.75

Orion VII E10 - 5

Prevost X3-45 - 5

Details to come.

Major updates on all buses and their current BTE standings coming this weekend. This also includes the RTS.

A fully detailed overview has been delayed a week because I have been running all over the city conducting phase 1 of my Bus Ops. Evaluation, and quite a few things have changed and/or developed.

Preliminary findinds on a scale of 1 to 5

NFI XD40 - 4.25

Nova LFS - 3.75

Orion VII E10 - 5

Prevost X3-45 - 5

Details to come.

I was actually told by a s/I from zerega that he was more impressed with the XD40. But i guess that was because the O7 was only there for 3weeks at that point.

I was actually told by a s/I from zerega that he was more impressed with the XD40. But i guess that was because the O7 was only there for 3weeks at that point.

Im more impressed with the Xcelsior as well. i think its hands down the sexiest bus on the road. However, until all the kinks are worked out, it doesnt command the top spot. And the Orion takes the win overall from looks to reliability and maintainability. Thats the best bus they ever built. And in 12 years, I would expect the data to show that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A full preliminary review of the the 40 foot BTE program will be complete for Castleton, and Ulmer Park depots by the second week of March. These reviews will be located within this BTE forum in their respective depot threads. Castleton BTE review has been delayed pending final delivery of the New Flyer Xcelsior units.

• 1 month later...

As I listed above, a full preliminary BTE review was to be posed by the second week of last month. Due to the fact that the Xcelsiors only recently entered service, and NYC Transit Forums is currently undergoing major construction as we continue to integrate our new platform, the review has been delayed, and now scheduled to be posted by the end of this month. Thank you all for following my posts, and after we get NYCTF back running at full capacity, I will be able to concentrate on major updates.

why are these buses only in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island?

It's actually pretty evident if you work out the numbers. The fleets from a year ago (roughly when the program began) explain it:

Queens Village had about 75 1996 RTSes and a ton of 1997s (they now only have 4 1996 RTSes and have sent many 1997s out).

Ulmer Park had about 75 1996 RTSes and a ton of 1997s (they now have no 1996 RTSes and have sent many 1997s out).

Castleton had about 110 O7 NGs, about 80 of which are currently going to Fresh Pond as we speak (who had 90 1996 RTSes).

Manhattan did not not need many new 40-footers, and Queens and the Bronx are getting C40LFs (along with LFSAs).

The main reason Castleton, Queens Village and Ulmer Park were selected is because they are high mileage depots. The buses will get used 24 hours a day as they are evaluated for a year. It actually had little to do with what depots needed new buses. It just so happened that both QV and UP needed new buses. Staten Island didn't need new buses at all. They had just taken delivery of a NG's. They had the original buses, then were swapped out for newer ones.

As far as the express buses go, same thing. The highest mileage depots have the Prevosts, and will likely have the RTS' as well.

The main reason Castleton, Queens Village and Ulmer Park were selected is because they are high mileage depots. The buses will get used 24 hours a day as they are evaluated for a year. It actually had little to do with what depots needed new buses. It just so happened that both QV and UP needed new buses. Staten Island didn't need new buses at all. They had just taken delivery of a NG's. They had the original buses, then were swapped out for newer ones.

As far as the express buses go, same thing. The highest mileage depots have the Prevosts, and will likely have the RTS' as well.

Well from an evaluation standpoint yes, high mileage depots are good for testing, but you don't think the fact that those depots had an EOL fleet larger than almost anywhere else in the system had to do with the fact they were the first to get 90 new buses?

I'm still curious as to why MTA separated the order between all 3 depots the way they did. I'm sure it would've made more sense to have one model only at each of the 3 depots (eg. all 90 XD40s to Ulmer Park, etc.).. It would've saved time training each op on all the models and not have a variety of parts at the depot because of the different makes in model.

Well from an evaluation standpoint yes, high mileage depots are good for testing, but you don't think the fact that those depots had an EOL fleet larger than almost anywhere else in the system had to do with the fact they were the first to get 90 new buses?

No, not really. 2 of the highest mileage depots just happened to be in need of new buses.

I'm still curious as to why MTA separated the order between all 3 depots the way they did. I'm sure it would've made more sense to have one model only at each of the 3 depots (eg. all 90 XD40s to Ulmer Park, etc.).. It would've saved time training each op on all the models and not have a variety of parts at the depot because of the different makes in model.

The reason why the orders were split between 3 depots was to run the buses side by side in different operating environments, and evaluate the overall service of the buses. For example, Queens Village drivers like the Novas, where as many of the ones at Ulmer Park do not. Everyone likes the Xcelsiors, and most all like the Orion VII's. QV for example is already used to the Orion VII because the interior is near identical.

So in actuallity, it makes perfect sense to have them spit up. If they were all at one depot each, there would be no way to accurately compare the buses side by side as the operating conditions would be different.

No problem at all. When I complete the review in the next couple of weeks, I will be sure to list all the details as why each depot was selected. I was originally told Fresh Pond, Queens Village and Ulmer Park, but this was in the summer of 2010 when I first broke the story.

Turns out the Fresh Pond part was slightly incorrect, as they would just be getting NG's from Staten Island as they are right now. That's also around the same time when there was supposed to be hybrids in the program, which was the original plan. The Novas were to be evaluated stand-alone as a diesel, and the Xcelsior Allison hybrid was suposed to go head to head with the Orion BAE hybrid. Thats why both the XD and 3G demos were hybrids.

Archived