New Flyer XD60 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No line at UP needs artics. Not even the B3 or B6. Increased headways are needed.

Artics would be a good fit on the B6, the B6 ridership is much higher than a lot of routes that already use Artics. increased headways on the B6? It already has good headways and I'd rather they put Artics on the line than increase the headway's, TA is broke and as you know increasing the headway costs more money.

Artics would be a good fit on the B6, the B6 ridership is much higher than a lot of routes that already use Artics. increased headways on the B6? It already has good headways and I'd rather they put Artics on the line than increase the headway's, TA is broke and as you know increasing the headway costs more money.

I live along the B6 route, and IMO. It doesn't need artics.. There are some tight turns around the Brooklyn College area, Flatlands & Ralph, Rockaway Parkway and going towards Harway Avenue near the depot. <---- Haven't been in that area in years. You absolutely have a point, and I won't disagree with your analysis that the TA is broke factor, however I've been out overnight riding the B6, and the only reason I said about increasing headways is b/c of the overnight..

Buses heading to ENY & Flat/Nostrand are SRO b/w 12AM and 2AM. After 1A, its 1 bus an hour.

It's only a suggestion of having 2 buses an hour in a rate of 30 mins. Only from 1AM to 2AM, than 2AM-5AM 1 bus an hour.

For example. After the 12:56 bus from Flat/Nostrand to ENY, next is 1:56 leaving Flatbush/Nostrand.

I was thinking a 1:26 bus than regular scheduled 1:56 bus to cover the 30 min gap

nah i think the Q54 Deserves Artics and or The Q58, but lets just wait and see what will happen.

Leave Fresh Pond out of this (NO ARTICS for FP).. You would have to move BOTH the Q54 and Q58 to GA to make that happen, and even that both lines don't need artics.

Only Brooklyn division depots that could definitely see artics is FB, ENY and GA.

The B6 is in the Top 10 lines. Any line in that group should have artics, regardless of borough or depot...

Completely understood. I'm very aware of the B6 stats, not only I live in the immediate area of the B6, I see the crowds.

But if you put artics on that line be prepared for lost units. I believe the B6 has over 100 units not too sure the exact #.

For right now, no artics for the B6, for the foreseeable future, POSSIBLY, but those units go down to about 80-85 if you put artics on the line.

With the way the streets the B6 travels are arranged, artics on the B6 are seemingly impossible. The turns in the East Flatbush area are too much for an artic.

Also what routes in ENY need an artic?

B15 and B82 comes to mind, if the BX4 can have artics then why not those routes? lol

With the way the streets the B6 travels are arranged, artics on the B6 are seemingly impossible. The turns in the East Flatbush area are too much for an artic.

Also what routes in ENY need an artic?

Only way the B6 gets an artic IF the route gets streamlined. Which means the local will have to operate on Flatlands, while Limiteds travel down Glenwood- East New York bound, Flatlands Ave to E. 80th, and regular on Glenwood/Harway Ave bound. That might be very much to ask for, but even the B6 technically doesn't need artics.

Judging by the interior pics of these new Artic Excelsiors on the TTMG Website. It appears that the back doors are similar to those on the hybrids. As a driver I really hate these doors because they take a very long time to close. Especially if the sensor picks up any passenger or debris in the area. I know there is an emergency override switch on the hybrid that supposedly closes the door faster. But to me it is still a major pain in the butt to have that type of back door. And now on these buses it appears to me that we are going to have not one, but two of these doors on one bus. I swear to God on Mighty, they could keep these buses on the Concourse with Youngblaze. I have calmed down tremendously coming off the Bx3 and unto the Bx9. And this right here would raise my blood pressure up all over again.

It appears that the back doors are similar to those on the hybrids.

If that is the case I hope they keep 'em far away from SBS lines

Although any possible increase in boarding times caused by these doors could be offset by the fact that the XD60s have more room, resulting in less time needed for boarding passengers to find room on the bus. I know it was said before that there is no difference between the time required for the doors close on the O7 NGs and that required for the doors to close on the LFSs/LFS Artics, but I still sense some difference and it could be more noticeable with two NG-type back doors to deal with instead of one

I've read the past few posts here, and there are folks saying artics are needed on the B3, then some saying they need it on the B6; others disagreeing with both lines not having artics. So, let's get this out the way.

For the B3: the line is fine with 40 ft. bus operations - even during rush hours. The buses can get crowded though, but sometime these buses are running late, or even picking up double headways because your leader is running, or possibly missing. Who knows. But, bottom line is: the line doesn't need artics, whatsoever. Ridership doesn't even warrant it's use.

As for the B6: the line can definitely use artics at some point, especially when school opens next month. The line currently has 108 runs (starting from run 201 to 309), and then you have the interlines, mostly from the B36 & 74 runs. And let's also clear this up: an artic can make ANY turn a 40 ft. bus can operate, and even better with a shorter turning radius.

Get the facts straight people.

I've read the past few posts here, and there are folks saying artics are needed on the B3, then some saying they need it on the B6; others disagreeing with both lines not having artics. So, let's get this out the way.

For the B3: the line is fine with 40 ft. bus operations - even during rush hours. The buses can get crowded though, but sometime these buses are running late, or even picking up double headways because your leader is running, or possibly missing. Who knows. But, bottom line is: the line doesn't need artics, whatsoever. Ridership doesn't even warrant it's use.

As for the B6: the line can definitely use artics at some point, especially when school opens next month. The line currently has 108 runs (starting from run 201 to 309), and then you have the interlines, mostly from the B36 & 74 runs. And let's also clear this up: an artic can make ANY turn a 40 ft. bus can operate, and even better with a shorter turning radius.

Get the facts straight people.

I dont care what no one say but an artic.cannot.make the same turns as all 40ft buses....ok perfect route....s52 an artic cannot turn from tompkins ave and hylan blvd....then it can't turn over by sand la and mcclean ave....it also can't turn by fingerboard RD by the construction....and 40ft can but not a 60ft...now the b74 a artic cannot make the uturn at stillwell ave...an 40ft can....turn from 33rd st to mermaid ave....I'm sorry to debate or make you feel wrong but as an average rider on those lines...I know that some buses struggle at those turns even with wide turns....and u can't put those stop here at red signal marks all over...

I dont care what no one say but an artic.cannot.make the same turns as all 40ft buses

But you're not the operator of said buses... I hate to say it but that's all gathered through assuming, conclusions, all that good stuff. I'm sure if the op attacks the turn to allow for the first half to clear, then the back will simply follow.

I dont care what no one say but an artic.cannot.make the same turns as all 40ft buses....ok perfect route....s52 an artic cannot turn from tompkins ave and hylan blvd....then it can't turn over by sand la and mcclean ave....it also can't turn by fingerboard RD by the construction....and 40ft can but not a 60ft...now the b74 a artic cannot make the uturn at stillwell ave...an 40ft can....turn from 33rd st to mermaid ave....I'm sorry to debate or make you feel wrong but as an average rider on those lines...I know that some buses struggle at those turns even with wide turns....and u can't put those stop here at red signal marks all over...

Thanks for your "assumption", Mr. 15-yr old Bus Fan.

Fortunately, I am an actual bus operator, and know the dimensions of what a bus can and cannot do.

And no, you don't make me feel like I'm wrong because you obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Archived