Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
East New York

New Flyer XD60 Discussion

Where did you get Runs 309-311 from???? There has ALWAYS been 108 runs on the B6, less in the summertime.........

During the spring, not right now though, I have seen as high as 311 (which would have been 111 under the old system).

Wow in the last few pages of this thread there has been lots of debates and such...lol patience,and artics should go here an there... lol I see that 4710 is scheduled to go into service this week! I'm curious from what depot though. Maybe KB. And of course Bx9

Wow in the last few pages of this thread there has been lots of debates and such...lol patience,and artics should go here an there... lol I see that 4710 is scheduled to go into service this week! I'm curious from what depot though. Maybe KB. And of course Bx9

yeahh this thread got outta control when "1000" came...then when it went to zerega..."4710" thats when people started have debates and people wanted other people to have patience...then ENY a moderator told us it will start service this week so everyone just carmed down as soon as you joined the forums lol...now you wont hear from people until the bus starts service this week...sorry u couldnt jump on the action, but the action will be back any day this week...

That's even saying the bus actually goes into service this week. Anything is subject to change.

thats true but i doupt it...it took more than a month..i dont think they would wait longer...

thats true but i doupt it...it took more than a month..i dont think they would wait longer...

First off , the bus was a month early . It wasnt even supposed to be here this early so yall are lucky it got here that early . Well this is what i heard from a friend that it " was a month early " . But your right , MTA changes up everything & anything is possible but it may not see service just yet . We will all have to " Be PATIENT " & wait and see whats going to happen....

Not necessarily.

4710 is now scheduled to go into service this week.

Talk about the bus itself, specs, and the assignments posted in the Fleet & Depots thread, please! Thank you.

Its like this. I am so freaking sick and tired of hearing this "Arics cant go there" shit year over year over year. Im also getting tired of people,ralking about what they think they know. The ONLY artic that has a turning radius significantly greater than its 40 foot counterpoint is the LFSA, and this is because the front section of the bus is 40 feet itself.

Im getting sick of hearing this bullcrap over and over again. The only place 40 footers can go that artics cannot are the existing bust stops and some layover spots that are made for standard buses. Those would have to be changed.

If a B/O can navigate the wards island loop, they can make any turn anywhere...

As soon as you get behind the wheel of an artic, let me know. You do realize some driver struggle because they just cant drive all that well... As someone who has driven buses from every manufacture except Neoplan, I see it almost everyday in NYC. Some drivers dont have enough confidence in their own drivers. Then you have drivers like my boys Acela Express NovaRTSbus9145 who drive like they have been behind the wheel for decades....

Give either one of them and artic, and I guarantee they will get it wherever it needs to go.

I drove the Neoplan for Liberty and artics w/ exception of the LFS & turn better than 40ft. buses, simply because the front section is shorter than a 40ft. bus. so you are in fact only using the front sections wheelbase + 2 to 2 1/2 ft. at your pivot point at the center axle. The Flyer & Neo front sect. is like 32ft. and it turns like a 34ft. bus. The only thing stopping an artic from going somewhere would be weight, end of story. "Artics cant go there" is bullshit & horseshit like you said. And I say bullshit & horseshit is bad for ya!

• Upvote 3

I drove the Neoplan for Liberty and artics w/ exception of the LFS & turn better than 40ft. buses, simply because the front section is shorter than a 40ft. bus. so you are in fact only using the front sections wheelbase + 2 to 2 1/2 ft. at your pivot point at the center axle. The Flyer & Neo front sect. is like 32ft. and it turns like a 34ft. bus. The only thing stopping an artic from going somewhere would be weight, end of story. "Artics cant go there" is bullshit & horseshit like you said. And I say bullshit & horseshit is bad for ya!

You also have to take into account that the rear section tracks at a slightly sharper angle than the front so when turning onto narrow streets you have to "bump" out just a tad bit more. All in all I love articulated buses they are all I plan to primarily drive.

• Upvote 2

You also have to take into account that the rear section tracks at a slightly sharper angle than the front so when turning onto narrow streets you have to "bump" out just a tad bit more. All in all I love articulated buses they are all I plan to primarily drive.

Well yeah that's why you add approx. 2-2 1/2 ft to the center axle pivot. That's the nature of a pusher artic the rear has a sharper turn. Also that's why they jack knife, the rear pushes out the artic joint and the lighter center axle. I learned the hard way leaving Harrison on the 5 one rainy night.

During the spring, not right now though, I have seen as high as 311 (which would have been 111 under the old system).

A bit off topic but I have NEVER seen 111 runs on the B6. It has always been 309.

When it supposed come into the Service. #1000 nhave been renumbered to #4710. So Gun Hill Depot supposed to be received first batch. They had drop down the 78? purchase of 2012 Nova Bus Lfs Articulated. They only recieving 48 Nova Bus LFS articulated bus.

Incase Any Of You Wanna Know The Status Of 4710 It's Not At Zerega Nor A Depot. It's Back At JFK " Service Center " Again. Look In The Bus & Videos Topic And Youll See A Post I Made & 4710 Can Be Seen In The Far Left Corner.

• Upvote 1

The MTA has requested some changes that will need to be incorporated into 4710. If and when those specs are approved, they will send the bus back to MTA, and proceed with the test program.

• Upvote 1

The MTA has requested some changes that will need to be incorporated into 4710. If and when those specs are approved, they will send the bus back to MTA, and proceed with the test program.

I figured that's what happened. Excuse my ignorance, but one thing that boggles my mind is that why didn't NFI make things like the fuel access door in the same location as the D60 knowing that the fueling station in the depots couldn't be easily modified?

I figured that's what happened. Excuse my ignorance, but one thing that boggles my mind is that why didn't NFI make things like the fuel access door in the same location as the D60 knowing that the fueling station in the depots couldn't be easily modified?

Its because the bus is a low floor, with an all-new structure. Thus forcing NFI relocate the tanks position.

• Upvote 1

Finally caught one of these things! (XD40, Never could seem to get one on shuttle buses. They always seemed to be going the other way).

On the B6, has 7037 (first time on a 3G also) one way, and 4868 the other way. The first thing I saw were the HID headlights and yellow poles, and inside, the LED floor lighting on the driver compartment, that manages to give the area a warmth instead of the darkness other low floors have there. (And the LED cabin lighting added to this, but then all new models have that now anyway). And then the driver's panel is all colorful with LED backlit displays!

Only thing, the pull cord on the door side was broken (one end of it detached. Never saw that before).

Also, both models have that double tone like the M7 cars, for special announcements.

Finally caught one of these things! (Never could seem to get one on shuttle buses. They always seemed to be going the other way).

On the B6, has 7037 (first time on a 3G also) one way, and 4868 the other way. The first thing I saw were the HID headlights and yellow poles, and inside, the LED floor lighting on the driver compartment, that manages to give the area a warmth instead of the darkness other low floors have there. (And the LED cabin lighting added to this, but then all new models have that now anyway). And then the driver's panel is all colorful with LED backlit displays!

Only thing, the pull cord on the door side was broken (one end of it detached. Never saw that before).

Also, both models have that double tone like the M7 cars, for special announcements.

Just a note on the Xcelsior headlamps....

The all-time running low beams are LED, and the high beams are HID.

• Upvote 1

Just a note on the Xcelsior headlamps....

The all-time running low beams are LED, and the high beams are HID.

Your the man with all the answers lol any update as to when 4710 will come back home?

Judging by the interior pics of these new Artic Excelsiors on the TTMG Website. It appears that the back doors are similar to those on the hybrids. As a driver I really hate these doors because they take a very long time to close. Especially if the sensor picks up any passenger or debris in the area. I know there is an emergency override switch on the hybrid that supposedly closes the door faster. But to me it is still a major pain in the butt to have that type of back door. And now on these buses it appears to me that we are going to have not one, but two of these doors on one bus. I swear to God on Mighty, they could keep these buses on the Concourse with Youngblaze. I have calmed down tremendously coming off the Bx3 and unto the Bx9. And this right here would raise my blood pressure up all over again.

I hated the old dawgs with just one rear door. Dwell time was wayyyy to long, as most came out the fron door anyways. My second favorite route to drive was Youngblaze Bx1/2 route. I had a pick over there, and really liked it. Favorite was my last worked picked jobs on the Bx7. The Bx9, oh hizza, fijizza, ell no. Same for the Bx3. At least when I was there from 2006 - 2008, unrealistic running times, especially during the rush hour............

I do like the XD60, and figured after the XN60 came out, New Flyer would have to come out with a diesel version. I still find myself liking the LFSA better, just because it still looks different, and I like the way the roof top is set up. The front section to rear section length, is different from what we normally see on artics here. The XD60 looks too flat and naked on the top. It looks just like a D60LFR, that got whacked across the front top of the head, and a bump grew.........

The Van Hool Ag300 puller articulated is still my favorite though.......

Edited by DOB2RTO
  • Upvote 2

After listening to a Cummins ISL with an Allison tranny, in a NovaBus LFX (basically same as LFSA), and then a New Flyer D60LFR (basically same as XD60) with same engine to tranny combo, and given I did ride a few times on the XD40 on the B6, I would prefer the New Flyer XD60. Reason. I LOVE that driveshaft whine the New Flyers make. Even the 2011 C40LF (I ride the B103 also), make that "New Flyer whine". The NovaBus engine is alot louder with that engine to tranny combo. Has a mans growl. The New Flyer has a just starting puberty young mans growl. Again, LOVE that whine the New Flyers driveshaft and I guess axles make. I forgot the New VanHools don't offer alot of seats. It is more meant for BRT runs, which you wouldn't want alot of seats for.......

New Flyer XD60 wins with me. My new favorite looking bus. The drivers here, will keep us informed on which articulated performs better, when they come in......

Edited by DOB2RTO
  • Upvote 5

I hated the old dawgs with just one rear door. Dwell time was wayyyy to long, as most came out the fron door anyways. My second favorite route to drive was Youngblaze Bx1/2 route. I had a pick over there, and really liked it. Favorite was my last worked picked jobs on the Bx7. The Bx9, oh hizza, fijizza, ell no. Same for the Bx3. At least when I was there from 2006 - 2008, unrealistic running times, especially during the rush hour............

The Bx3 running times are still the same. You have to really push the bus in order to stay in schedule. The Bx9 had unrealistic schedule time back then and senior drivers till this day still stay away from it with the perception that the scheduling is still the same. Which is a good thing. I personally enjoy the route. During the day I find myself having to sit at bus stops waiting for my time. And I'm not the one to be rushing. And while waiting if I look in the mirror I could see my follower approaching most of the time. It's laid back up until 8pm. Then the running times are reduced. Even then you could stay on schedule if nothing is going on. The concourse I stay away from unless it is an RDO or a Change of Assignment. For some reason I think I am cursed from working on that line. YoungBlaze could vouch on that.

Edited by jemcclain1
  • Upvote 1