New Flyer XD60 Discussion

East New York

LOL @ Cait Sith

Allison H 50EP? bout time. Something other than a BAE drive

The Allison EP system is the only diesel hybrid system offered on NF, NABI, and Nova artics. Until recently, BAE was an Orion exclusive. I don't think they even offer a system for artics yet.

Man, missed this thread, this got me good!! Love those buses from Boston, but never, ever expected to see them here. Definitely looking forward to those on the M14, I've been by that route for every part of my life and I remember RTSes, the first D60s, the 5700 series D60s, and now it's gonna be LFSAs and DE60s too! I'll take it! I gotta say I like what I'm seeing about 100th, that's gonna be a phenomenal mix of buses with the D60HFs, DE60LFRs, and LFSAs too. Sub-optimal at Quill to see those 5300s die, but I'll happily take these DE60s over the 5600 series, which has gotta be my least favorite New Flyer product of all time.

All that said, in general just glad to see the MTA back into New Flyer, nice to see we're gonna have a legit diverse fleet with Orion, Novabus, and New Flyer running local service. I've been in love with Allisons ever since they were mated to 6v92s on the first RTSes, great to see them back in business too. MTA, they'll throw you a curveball every once and a while and sometimes it's a real good surprise.

Allison never went anywhere though. It's always been the New Flyer standard transmission option, and the EP hybrid is the most widely used hybrid system out there. ZF has been taking a big share of the market over the years and are about to start competing in the hybrid market in the coming months.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not back in business as in out of the market but back at the MTA, you look at the LFSAs and LFSes mainly ZF, the next 418 LFSes and LFSAs all ZF, then all the BAE buses recently, it's just good to see an Allisons back in the game between the DE60s, XD40s and the C40LFs.

I figured that's what you meant right after I posted too. Lol. Yeah, the ZF Nova and Orion's standard option. That's why you see those on majority of their buses. As far as hybrid, it was only recently offered on Orion products.

Not until recently. BAE just launched the HybriDrive for artics last month.

Ah thanks. I still haven't finished digesting the 5 bags worth of stuff from APTA. I still haven't had a chance to dive into these Voith and ZF hybrids that were launched. I know its some interesting stuff in there, but I'm stretched so thin I can't even enjoy actually reading the stuff. And BAE had the best bag at the show! It was bio-degradeable, and very strong.

That makes me wonder if some of these LFR's might come with BAE's then.....

i hope they fixed those problems that the D60's had when they were new (water leaking onto the rear door multiplexer box in the top rear corner of the bus). I also see from the picture that it looks like it has three doors. Any chance that they did the smart thing and went high floor after the second door?

i hope they fixed those problems that the D60's had when they were new (water leaking onto the rear door multiplexer box in the top rear corner of the bus). I also see from the picture that it looks like it has three doors. Any chance that they did the smart thing and went high floor after the second door?

Extending the raised section to the second door would require a major redesign of much of the bus. I doubt the MTA has the money to request such a drastic change to an already-proven design.

I guess only time will really tell. A few of the customers for the new Xcelsior, and one of my contacts have reported leaking issues on buses. Hopefully this has already been addressed. See below...

Extending the raised section to the second door would require a major redesign of much of the bus. I doubt the MTA has the money to request such a drastic change to an already-proven design.

This is correct. The low floor extends all the way to the back as normal. It would be extremely difficult and costly to change this, and New Flyer has already stated they have no intentions whatsoever of making high floor buses again. Remember what happened with the MTA and New Flyer over the D60HF's that were supposed to be 5700-58XX? Not only that, but the LFR is slated to end production in or around 2013 anyway. MTA is currently taking delivery of the last production LF's.

You are not the only one! Trust and believe that one! I NEVER thought I would see LFR's in the city! LF CNG's, Xcelsior Diesels, and LFR Artics.....

Yeah, Imma have a moment too!B)

Still with Xcelsior Artic Diesels due in late 2013/early 2014....... SMH

(MTA)

Wasnt Brampton Ontario getting Xcelsior artics for next year for their Zum BRT service?

Archived