New Flyer XD60 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes lol

There is too much going on! I can hardly keep up! lol

Why is MTA testing a bus model that is likely to be discontinued in the not-too-distant future?

That one is like a riddle.

So you have to ask yourself this one. Why is the MTA about to take delivery of an already discontinued bus? C40LF*

New Flyer can deliver the DE60LFR, a quality bus, in a reasonable amount of time, and the MTA needs new artics.

I don't see a problem if this model is discontinued in the next couple of years or so. Parts, etc. will still be available.

The only part that's a bit weird is this order is part of the test fleet evaluation.

So, the MTA, will be testing a model that may not be available once the evaluation is completed. :confused:

New Flyer can deliver the DE60LFR, a quality bus, in a reasonable amount of time, and the MTA needs new artics.

I don't see a problem if this model is discontinued in the next couple of years or so. Parts, etc. will still be available.

The only part that's a bit weird is this order is part of the test fleet evaluation.

So, the MTA, will be testing a model that may not be available once the evaluation is completed. :confused:

Not really weird at all. MTA is evaluating artic hybrids for the first time. If they decided they wanted more after the eval. is complete, I'm sure NFI would be more than willing to accommodate the TA. Not only that, but this also gives them a chance to operate and evaluate the Allison hybrid system which is available on the Nova.

Even though it has been said that NFI will discontinue the LFR at the end of 2012, I DO NOT see that happening at all. Yes, they will try to get people to migrate over to the Xcelsior platform, but I don't see it going the way they are said to be planning it.

They will be building LF's for MTA through 2012, and possibly 2013. They may also be building LFR's for LACMTA through 2015.

To date, I don't know of any agency they have submitted proposals to for XN40's. (Xcelsior CNG's)

Not really weird at all. MTA is evaluating artic hybrids for the first time. If they decided they wanted more after the eval. is complete, I'm sure NFI would be more than willing to accommodate the TA. Not only that, but this also gives them a chance to operate and evaluate the Allison hybrid system which is available on the Nova.

Even though it has been said that NFI will discontinue the LFR at the end of 2012, I DO NOT see that happening at all. Yes, they will try to get people to migrate over to the Xcelsior platform, but I don't see it going the way they are said to be planning it.

They will be building LF's for MTA through 2012, and possibly 2013. They may also be building LFR's for LACMTA through 2015.

To date, I don't know of any agency they have submitted proposals to for XN40's. (Xcelsior CNG's)

what does the XN40 look like?

• 1 month later...
Nice.. and very interesting.

I thought the MTA had an issue with the LFR design though? wow indeedy

All this time, with all the futuristic alphanumeric coded new model names being tossed around; it was upon just reading the MTA Bus Operations Fleet & Depots thread that I realized that this was the Flyer low floor articulated being back on the table.

I remembered years ago, they avoided it, and it and the NABI were at the time the only models left, and (MTA) wanted neither.

From the pictures I'm seeing, does this have a remodeled front? I remember the front originally being the same as the HF version. This one looks like a cross between the Orion NG/3G and that other new Flyer design (XD...).

All this time, with all the futuristic alphanumeric coded new model names being tossed around; it was upon just reading the MTA Bus Operations Fleet & Depots thread that I realized that this was the Flyer low floor articulated being back on the table.

I remembered years ago, they avoided it, and it and the NABI were at the time the only models left, and (MTA) wanted neither.

From the pictures I'm seeing, does this have a remodeled front? I remember the front originally being the same as the HF version. This one looks like a cross between the Orion NG/3G and that other new Flyer design (XD...).

Yes, the MTA did not want the D60LF's at all. Nova also offered artics at the time, but MTA was not working with them then. The "R" in LFR stands for restyled. The buses will either be standard, or BRT versions as seen below.

DE60LFR

hamilton.jpg

hsr_0615_de60lfr_02.jpg

DE60LFR BRT

6202899598_1dd400a29c_z.jpg

Oh, so it's an altogether different model, then.

What's the difference between standard and BRT? Is it just the number of doors, or are there other differences?

Same model, just a different option show aka the roof shroud avilable on any LFR model above 35 ft in length. As for the doors its 2 or 3 and I believe, if wanted left side doors can be added.

Oh, so it's an altogether different model, then.

What's the difference between standard and BRT? Is it just the number of doors, or are there other differences?

The differences are mostly cosmetic and up to the customer. Two doors, three doors, or five doors(two on the left side); roof cowling or AC and batteries exposed; hybrid, straight diesel, CNG, or trackless trolley; framed windows or frameless windows; etc. are all options that can be decided by the customer. I didn't even know that there is an official BRT option for the 60LFR buses; I assumed that the DE60LFRs on KCM's RapidRide B were just ordinary DE60LFRs customized to resemble the DE60LFAs, the official BRT model that KCM had wanted(and has for its RapidRide A route) but New Flyer discontinued prior to the route's opening.

Is there a proposed Hybrid Powertrain for this beauty?

Picks are probably between the BAE system, or the Allison system, but iirc, someone mentioned in a post elsewhere in the forum that the MTA wants to test out the Allison system and see how it stacks up to service in the city.

Picks are probably between the BAE system, or the Allison system, but iirc, someone mentioned in a post elsewhere in the forum that the MTA wants to test out the Allison system and see how it stacks up to service in the city.

Yes, they offer Allison and BAE, and MTA wants to evaluate the Allison system.

• 1 month later...
Michael J. Quill - #1000-1029 (30) (July 2012-September 2012)

Kingsbridge - #1030-1059 (30) (September 2012-October 2012)

Tuskegee (100th Street) - #1060-1089 (30) (November 2012-December 2012)

1000-series New Flyers DE60LFRs carrying 1000-series New Flyer D60HF numbers. Great. They'll make their older New Flyer siblings proud.

• 3 weeks later...
Uh? XDE60s maybe then? Looking forward to more info!

At this time it seems that everything with NFI artics is up in the air. However, if there are still going to be two artic orders, I am pretty sure they won't both be Xcelsior orders. If they are, there would have to be a 1 year gap in order and delivery as the model has not passed the shaker, or been validated through the BTE program.

Archived