Where do you think the mta should add a transfer passage on the Subway?

SubwayMustang

They should connect the (3) and the (L) in Brooklyn. I don't remember the names of the stations but the stops are so close, there's no reason why they aren't connected.

(3)=Junius Street (L)=Livonia Avenue. (MTA) had a plan to have a subway to subway transfer b/w those stations back around 2003-2004 (I believe) when they raised the Metro-Card fares during that plan but it never fell through!

Bowling thiscolor and South Ferry... if they aren't that far apart.

Well South Ferry (1) is connected to Whitehall Street (R).

And if I remember correctly, Whitehall Street runs under or close to Bowling Green.

If that's the case, then they could be indirectly connected through that station,

creating a large South Ferry complex for the (1),(4),(5), and (R) trains.

Bowling Green is a couple of blocks away from Whitehall St-South Ferry. Anything outside of an out of system transfer would probably be dead on arrival. Plus, what would be the point? Downtown (1) riders heading to Brooklyn can easily transfer to the (R) and if they need the Eastern Pkwy lines, it's a relatively short walk to the IRT lines at Court St/Borough Hall. While it's a bit more difficult to get around if you're heading uptown, riders can transfer to the Lexington Avenue line at Canal St.

Bowling Green is a couple of blocks away from Whitehall St-South Ferry. Anything outside of an out of system transfer would probably be dead on arrival. Plus, what would be the point? Downtown (1) riders heading to Brooklyn can easily transfer to the (R) and if they need the Eastern Pkwy lines, it's a relatively short walk to the IRT lines at Court St/Borough Hall. While it's a bit more difficult to get around if you're heading uptown, riders can transfer to the Lexington Avenue line at Canal St.

While I personally agree (the (R) already has 3 connections to the Lex -- 59, 14, and Canal), I was simply proposing that idea because the poster I quoted mentioned connecting Bowling Green to South Ferry -- So it was a point to mention that the current South Ferry station is much farther from Bowling Green than the loop. However, the northern tip of the Whitehall Street platforms aren't too distant from Bowling Green (probably the same as/slightly longer than the distance between the (R) platform and the (A)(C)(F) platform at Jay Street).

However, you're still right that the particular transfer in question is not COMPLETELY necessary.

A short but intensive walk about the Battery Park and Bowling Green area would show the difficulty of the project. On Battery Park and Broadway, the end of the #1 station is a straight line-of-sight path to the original headhouse of the Bowling Green station - where there is a stairway at the end of the platform to the street.

One would think at a passageway direct between the stations is possible, from the street level, but it is under the streets that one has to think about. On the MTA website, there used to be a page on the Capital Projects page about the new South Ferry station. There was a map of all the underground subway tunnels, and it is a pretty dense area, considering how the new station was fitted in among all of the track tunnels.

Such a passageway being new construction would (might) have to be handicapped accessible - meaning ramps or elevators, and possibly stairs. Connecting such a passageway directly to the south end of the

platform under the headhouse could mean the removal of the main stairway - not good. Connecting such a passageway to the mezzanine level that is under the #4 and #5 tracks in the middle of the station presents an engineering problem of keeping the trains running while the construction proceeds.

Okay, how about using the end of the Whitehall Street station - the north end of the station is near the middle of the Bowling Green station, and near the lower level mezzanine level. At first glance it seems do-able - except for the handicapped access. The Whitehall Street station for the R train is NOT handicapped accessible. This presents an interesting problem if the three stations were connected - two would be accessible - but the middle one that connects the lines is not. Considering how the Whitehall Street station was wedged into its position in the first place - adding elevators or ramps is a tall order.

The only real point that I'm making is that it is not as easy as the on-street description would suggest. The cost is not going to be cheap whatever method is chosen also.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

I remember initial thoughts on that, and seeing flagging in the area (back in my c/r days) that looked like underlying exploratory measures about it. Too bad money stopped it, it would really take the pressure off of Bway Junction as a transfer point and really blast open intraborough travel options.

they should build a tunnel fro lex/63 to lex/59 because its alot of stairs then alot of walking they should build that tunnel and when i made the transfer it took one of my rides not a transfer

:mad:

The annoncements are kinda stupid, this is what they say :

A free transfer is also available to the (F) by walking to the Lexington Av-59 St station and using your metrocard.

How is it a transfer if you don't have a free transfer if your metrocard??

I would make a passage way connecting the Cortlandt St (1) station (when it is finished) to the WTC (E) train terminal.

The annoncements are kinda stupid, this is what they say :

A free transfer is also available to the (F) by walking to the Lexington Av-59 St station and using your metrocard.

How is it a transfer if you don't have a free transfer if your metrocard??

I would make a passage way connecting the Cortlandt St (1) station (when it is finished) to the WTC (E) train terminal.

the (E) is going to be part of the Fulton St Transit Center, they say it would also improve the (1) connections as well, so basically the Transit Center is a transfer for the (1) and (E) lines

they should build a tunnel fro lex/63 to lex/59 because its alot of stairs then alot of walking they should build that tunnel and when i made the transfer it took one of my rides not a transfer

:mad:

I agree with you.

This should also have Out of System Transfer to Roosevelt Island Tramway at 2nd Av.

That elevator is slow as Slowpoke the Pokemon!

It`s feel like hiking when escalator is not working.

My suggestion:

Out of Sytem Transfer

Queensboro Plaza and Queensboro Plaza

Free transfer passegeway

Bowery (J)(M) and Grand St (;)(D)

(7) & LIRR Hunters Point- create safe passegeway on street level.

If I had to choose where I'd want a new transfer, I'd have to suggest a connection between the Fulton St & Crosstown lines and the Atlantic-Pacific complex. Of course, that would require the (A) to stop at Lafayette Av, but it would greatly improve connectivity between the former IND and the rest of the system. Yes, there are other options for IND to IRT/BMT transfers (Fulton St (station) and Jay St-MetroTech), but they require a lot of backtracking if, say, you're heading down the Nostrand Ave or Brighton lines from the Fulton St or Crosstown lines.

I would like to see the Sixth Avenue and 42nd street BDF (already having a passage to the 7 line 5th avenue station), extended the other way to the Times Square complex only about a half block away. I believe I read on an earlier thread that there was plans for this, but put on hold....?

This would come in handy for me personally on those rainy early mornings when my E train is routed down the F line. I would be able to walk underground and out of the weather all the way to the Port Authority terminal where I work.;)

Speaking of that, little off-topic I wish they could connect Grand Central North tunnel to Rockfeller Center underground.

Since Grand Central North ends at 47th St/Mad Av & 48th St/Park Av,

and Rockfeller Center underground pedestrian passegeway is 47th-51st Sts by 5th-6th Avs, so that way people wouldn`t have to walk through crowded streets above.

MikeG, is it possible?

All kidding aside, there were plans in the 1970's to increase the number of pedestrian pathways and underground concourses. Of course all of this depends upon some kind of money. Sometimes zoning bonuses (meaning more floor space and taller buildings) is granted for these kinds of public benefits upon what is really private land.

Needless to say - the nature of the city changed in so many way when these plans were adopted. Without shops and "extra eyes and ears" such passageways can be feared as crime places, or as rest places for homeless persons. The next issue is that these underground passageways would probably not be "free-fare zones" but would exist outside the subway system, and not portrayed on the subway map. Sometimes the neighborhood maps that used to be installed near the subway booths indicated the location of such passageways.

There used to be an underground passageway from the Herald Square station at Sixth Avenue-34th Street to Seventh Avenue, and the underground Penn Station complex. That underground passageway was the property of Gimbels, and when the store closed there was issues of just who would maintain the passageway. There were also issues since the passageway was not that wide, filled with stores, and sometimes was the location of crimes and or the homeless.

New York City is not like Montreal or Toronto - where the winters are pretty fierce, and there is a great need for underground passageways that connect buildings, etc. That also do not bring about many problems (crimes, squatters, etc) - a major reason why an underground passageway under Sixth Avenue was closed.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Which is why I would be looking to re-open the old South Ferry loop station as a terminal for the (5) when not going to Brooklyn, the (6) overnights (and possibly weekends) and re-opening the small platform at BG to revive the old BG-SF shuttle at other times (as a two-car train of R62s/R62As using the outer platform as opposed to the inner as had been done back in the day). That could be re-worked where (when the (5)/(6) are running there), the front half of the train stops as it used to when the (1) used it as the terminal, then the front goes far enough up from the station to allow the rear cars to enter SF and open their doors before heading uptown on the return trip.

This would allow those who are too lazy to walk from the ferry to BG for the (4)/(5) (also not wanting to do it in bad weather) as currently is the case to do so.

Archived