Subway from The Bronx to Queens

pjbr40

All my life as a kids i always wander why they never built subway between the bronx and queens. can you imagine how much pain that the bronx need to go thru manhattan to get to queens. they really need a tunnel to quenns especially at laguardia airport and connect with 7 train at main street and connect to 179 street.

i know about the yunnel for brooklyn to staten island. they had a chance but they blew it.

All my life as a kids i always wander why they never built subway between the bronx and queens. can you imagine how much pain that the bronx need to go thru manhattan to get to queens. they really need a tunnel to quenns especially at laguardia airport and connect with 7 train at main street and connect to 179 street.

i know about the yunnel for brooklyn to staten island. they had a chance but they blew it.

Um... Where you high when you wrote this? Anyway, I actually took the subways from Queens to the Bronx while I was in NYC earlier this year. I took the (7) from 82nd Street-Jackson Heights and ended up at Buhre Avenue on the (6). So I have some questions: how long do you guys think it took me to get there? what transfers do you think I used?

Um... Where you high when you wrote this? Anyway, I actually took the subways from Queens to the Bronx while I was in NYC earlier this year. I took the (7) from 82nd Street-Jackson Heights and ended up at Buhre Avenue on the (6). So I have some questions: how long do you guys think it took me to get there? what transfers do you think I used?

Wow 6 Lexington Ave You are not the brightest light bulb. Read his question carefully. You may not have understood it as you don't appear to be NYC resident. Take a look at the subway map. There is no direct subway connection between the Bronx and Queens. You always have to go thru or transfer trains in Manhatten to get to Queens. You can't just ride one single train from the Bronx to Queens. When you took the subway from Queens to the Bronx you had to transfer in Manhatten to an uptown 6 train to the Bronx. You did not go directly from Queens to the Bronx. So cut the poor guy a break.

Wow 6 Lexington Ave You are not the brightest light bulb. Read his question carefully. You may not have understood it as you don't appear to be NYC resident. Take a look at the subway map. There is no direct subway connection between the Bronx and Queens. You always have to go thru or transfer trains in Manhatten to get to Queens. You can't just ride one single train from the Bronx to Queens. When you took the subway from Queens to the Bronx you had to transfer in Manhatten to an uptown 6 train to the Bronx. You did not go directly from Queens to the Bronx. So cut the poor guy a break.

Was it implied in my post that I went from Queens to the Bronx without going through Manhattan? If it was, then I'm sorry.. I actually mentioned transfers though. I'm not that stupid you know. I'm a member of these forums and even though I'm not n NYC resident I'm well aware of where most subway lines go and how to get from one place to another. I wouldn't be a member here if I wasn't aware of the fact that there wasn't a direct subway connection between Queens and the Bronx. I didn't comment on the fact that the previous poster argued that there should be a connection. I agree on that actually. I commented on the appearance/spelling/typing mistakes of his message. However, I now realize that I was wrong in doing so, regardless of the fact that I've seen meaner comments on these forums. It won't happen again..

It is true that there is not a direct SUBWAY connection between the Bronx and Queens. It is also true that the majority of our subway system was built by the 1940's - a fact that seems to escape a lot of folks. Meaning that if the line was not built then - the chances of it ever being built are close to zero. (Yes there have been conversions, and small extensions - but few brand new from the ground up built lines - while of course the maps have become better.)

The subways were built as MASS TRANSIT not as comprehensive transit, by three different companies with their own agendas and needs. The main effort was to get folks to and from Manhattan quickly, and at a profit for two of the private companies. The sprawling IND lines were built and were to be offered to a private company to run but there were no takers - the subways were not profitable. During the 1940's unless a subway tunnel was built, there was no easy way to get subway riders between the Bronx and Queens.

It would take Robert Moses to build three Bridges to connect the Bronx and Queens. Yes, Robert Moses is the hated guy when it comes to transit issues.

In the Bronx there is the Q-44 Bus that has been running for decades from the Bronx Zoo that makes stops at West Farms Square (#2, #5), and at the Parkchester station (#6), traveling along the Whitestone Bridge to Queens and meeting up with the #7 train at Main Street, and the E and F trains at Briarwood-Van Wyck Blvd, and the Archer Avenue stations to 168th Street in Queens.

Just because there is not a subway line to/from a certain place does not mean it is impossible, it just means that one has to do more research. I've used the Q-44 bus when I lived in the Bronx and worked in Flushing Queens for a summer job - it was an interesting ride, in the years when the riders had to pitch in money to pay the tolls. Otherwise it was a trip on the #6 to Grand Central and a transfer to the #7 to the end of the line - a complete round-about method. Or a walk a couple of blocks to the Q-44 for a much quicker trip to Queens, but then a longer walk from Flushing Meadow Park.

Those were the days.

Mike

It is true that there is not a direct SUBWAY connection between the Bronx and Queens. It is also true that the majority of our subway system was built by the 1940's - a fact that seems to escape a lot of folks. Meaning that if the line was not built then - the chances of it ever being built are close to zero. (Yes there have been conversions, and small extensions - but few brand new from the ground up built lines - while of course the maps have become better.)

The subways were built as MASS TRANSIT not as comprehensive transit, by three different companies with their own agendas and needs. The main effort was to get folks to and from Manhattan quickly, and at a profit for two of the private companies. The sprawling IND lines were built and were to be offered to a private company to run but there were no takers - the subways were not profitable. During the 1940's unless a subway tunnel was built, there was no easy way to get subway riders between the Bronx and Queens.

It would take Robert Moses to build three Bridges to connect the Bronx and Queens. Yes, Robert Moses is the hated guy when it comes to transit issues.

In the Bronx there is the Q-44 Bus that has been running for decades from the Bronx Zoo that makes stops at West Farms Square (#2, #5), and at the Parkchester station (#6), traveling along the Whitestone Bridge to Queens and meeting up with the #7 train at Main Street, and the E and F trains at Briarwood-Van Wyck Blvd, and the Archer Avenue stations to 168th Street in Queens.

Just because there is not a subway line to/from a certain place does not mean it is impossible, it just means that one has to do more research. I've used the Q-44 bus when I lived in the Bronx and worked in Flushing Queens for a summer job - it was an interesting ride, in the years when the riders had to pitch in money to pay the tolls. Otherwise it was a trip on the #6 to Grand Central and a transfer to the #7 to the end of the line - a complete round-about method. Or a walk a couple of blocks to the Q-44 for a much quicker trip to Queens, but then a longer walk from Flushing Meadow Park.

Those were the days.

Mike

Isn't there also the Q50 from Main Street, previously named QBx1?

When I used the subway from 82nd to Buhre, I did because I wanted to use the train regardless of the fact that I could use the bus. I took the (7), switched to the (N) at Queensboro Plaza, then to the (5) at Lex/59th and then to the <6> at 125th. It took me around an hour+ door to door considering my house at the Bronx isn't next door to the station..

Yes, there is now the Q-50 bus that also travels between the Bronx and Queens.

I have personal experience with the Q-44 bus, but I have never rode the Q-50 bus. I had to look it up on the Bronx Bus Map - it travels to/from Co-Op City, the #6 Pelham Bay station, and then on to Flushing, Queens.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

Yes, there is now the Q-50 bus that also travels between the Bronx and Queens.

I have personal experience with the Q-44 bus, but I have never rode the Q-50 bus. I had to look it up on the Bronx Bus Map - it travels to/from Co-Op City, the #6 Pelham Bay station, and then on to Flushing, Queens.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

You're welcome!

seeing how the (G) being close to manhattan never is that full with even 4 cars, how do you think a crosstown in eastern queens is going to fare keeping in mind the bus service is fine and theres plenty of expressways to get you up there quickly.

Like i tell others who come up with these hugely impractical schemes: Dont be lazy, get off your bum and transfer, its not hard.

If you live in Eastern Queens you got the Q44 to West Farms / Zoo & Q50 to Pelham Bay / Co-Op.

Even tho the Q44 is a big headache going thru, due to a lot of people wanting zoo access..

I did heard that there MAYBE a new Bronx Bus route that would run from Bronx to Queens via I278 for LGA access, but thats still fully unknown, at least from me.

As for the (G) to the Bronx, it would of been nice for that to happen, but, the (G) isn't meant for that. It was made as a bypass of Manhattan for those who just wanted Queens to Brooklyn. Especially with the amount of people in Manhattan. Its just like a highway bypassing Manhattan (I287).

Maybe wayyyy in the future something would come up about this situation, but right now thru our lives, no.

you folks post good various point. i remember one time i was in bronx zoo and needed to take the bus with my aunt. She was dating someone and made me tag along and the guy live in queens so we need to jump on the bus for safety back then. but now days i am sure residents in the bronx or queens need to go to each other borough for work or other reasons. The reason why i say it should be built is to help alleviate traffic between these two boroughs. it just a thought and discussion. that all.

But the idea isn't dead. It has popped up through subway history which includes the Triboro RX, but it won't work since you would have to turn a railroad line into a subway line.

trips-dest.png

Use the the Northeast Corridor for this? hahahahahah!! How about No!

They don't actually need to turn it from an RR to a Subway. Just turn the Subway and make it run under FRA standard, just like the SIRTOA.

BTW I see that the Airtrain in that map is shown as Subway. Its not a Subway, its more of a monorail. Which Monorail is not a subway/

There was never a proposal for a Brooklyn-Bronx subway line via Queens. It wasn't even proposed in the IND Second System either. I do believe that the (G) would be extended up there sometime in the far future, but not in anyone's lifetime.

How do you propose they do that? THe (G) is connected to the Queens Blvd line and it would be pointless to have a parallel line to the Astoria line for that part of QUeens for the sole reason of a direct to Bronx line. If not for Nimbys, the (N) would make more sense as it is the closest line to the Bronx.

BTW I see that the Airtrain in that map is shown as Subway. Its not a Subway, its more of a monorail. Which Monorail is not a subway/

Maybe it's my piss poor eyesight, but it also looks like the AirTrain also has a direct track connection to the Queens Blvd line somewhere between Jamaica Av (Van Wyck) and Jamaica-Sutphin Blvd.

I said it was a proposal, but I never said that it was my idea for the Triboro RX. The idea has been going around since the 1990's though. As for the (G) it could be extended to the Bronx someday if it can be send down the Queens Boulevard Line, and providing that there is room of course, and if they have the money, time, and labor. Which I doubt that they don't since it will be beyond our lifetimes.

Archived