Unbelievable find!

So i was researching NJ transit rail stuff... and i stumbled upon some really cool information about its early years, and also, to my shock & delight a photo outlining proposed plans for rail service to more areas...

Here it is....

njt2020.gif

If anyone has ever doubted NJ transit's commitment to providing world class commuter, light & excursion rail service this should put an end to that.

- Andy

Wow, that does sound interesting. I still haven't been on any of NJT's rail lines.

If you want a really short trip, take a train from new york penn station to newark penn station, then take PATH back to manhattan on a WTC train.

- Andy

Wow, lots of new routes, that would be huge if all of them are in service today!

It would more than double their service area, and most likely grab 1st place for passenger miles.

- Andy

This map is from years ago.....I find it quite depressing because a lot of these proposed projects were dropped

Lines we won't see anytime soon (maybe our kids or grandkids will though)

• Camden Glassboro Line - Dropped from further study

• Cape May Seashore Lines - Dropped from further study( i don't understand why, given the fact that NJT owns the trackage)

• Union Cross County Line - Dropped from further study

• NYSW Line - Project was shot down by fierce local opposition and NYSW's lack of cooperation leaving the project in permanent limbo (its one of those "yes, no, maybe so?" situations) (may be SERIOUSLY revived someday)

• Newark-Elizabeth Rail Link - I'm not sure about this one, but from the looks of it the chances of it being built is less than likely

*these plans may come back in the future though

Committed/Partially Committed Capital Projects (hopefully which will be complete by 2015-2020)

• Meadowlands sports complex spur - Currently under construction

• Access to Regions Core (two new hudson tunnels & NY station) - seriously being considered and endorsed with funding and ratings (it's gonna have to be built sooner or later if NJT plans on expanding NY Service)

• Lackawanna Cut-off -seems to be just now entering SERIOUS planning stages (as long as funding continues)

• Bergen Cross-County Line approved for funding, with construction starting in late '08 with service starting in '10 (this may have changed in between the time I read about it and now)

• West Shore Line/Northern Branch both lines are still seriously being studied and will more than likely be built.....someday soon hopefully

• West Trenton Line in the study stages

• Phillipsburg Extensionin the study stages (and has been for years)

*Currently the #1's on NJT's to do list as far as major projects are concerned is the Meadowlands spur, Lackawanna Cut-Off/MOM Line (which can be halted at any given moment depending on funding and politics), and transforming ARC (new tunnels & NY station )from a billion dollar dream into a reality

• Additional plans call for one day extending the HBLR to Secaucus Jct via the Bergen Arches (which I personally think would benefit thousands of commuters) and other extensions to Rt440, & The Meadowlands (which would be considered phase II of the Meadowlands rail project)

• Long term plans preferred by the public calls for scrapping the use of DMU's for the Northern Branch in favor of extending the HBLR along the proposed ROW as an electric route, a similar proposal was made for the Cross County Line as well...if this was to all go through i'm assuming the HBLR would become the Hudson-Bergen-Passaic Light Rail or the Bergen-Passaic Light Rail

• Another far fetched plan is an extension to Staten Island via the Bayonne Bridge (which is slated for a near future rebuild) to the Staten Island Mall with the provision of eventually being extended all the way to the South Shore

hope this helps...

Ah yes, the 2020 Transit plan. Very promising indeed.

The HBLR plan is just sad because it just sits at Tonnelle Avenue.

NJT really studying for more light rail lines.

This is what the NJ Transit System would look like if every secondary freight line in NJ was a commuter line. The Monmouth Ocean Middlesex Plan is of course included.B)

Eric

This is what the NJ Transit System would look like if every secondary freight line in NJ was a commuter line. The Monmouth Ocean Middlesex Plan is of course included.B)

Eric

They should do it. West trenton & cape may make the most sense.

- Andy

Hello Everyone,

I have seen this map in the past. This whole map as I said earlier shows the state of New Jersey if every secondary freight line became a passenger route. I personally doubt that this map will mean anything in the long run. You have to remember that just because a freight line is considered a secondary it doesn't mean that there is only a train on it once in a blue moon. Some secondary freight lines have trains on it that run once a day. In regards to the Monmouth-Ocean Middlesex route this proposal goes back to the days when the CNJ Southern Division (known as the Southern Secondary today) was the route of the Blue Comet CNJ's most famous passenger train which ran from Jersey City to Atlantic City. Passenger service was discontinued in 1956 along the Southern Division. The major issue with the MOM Line right now is that not only has it become a political free for all several towns with in the proposed routes don't want it Example Jamesburg up in Southern Middlesex County. Along the Conrail Southern Secondary today 70% of the railroad crossings have crossbucks and flashing lights. There are only about maybe 4 or 5 crossings along the entire line that have gates. In addition the freight line runs past the US Navy Weapon Station Earle on one side and the County Landfill on the other. I doubt that would be an issue. The Freehold Secondary is what they call a Light Density Line where the only train you would see going into downtown freehold if any would have one freight car on it. In addition NJ Transit runs a lot of commuter bus service in the Freehold area as well.

Eric

Hello Everyone,

I have seen this map in the past. This whole map as I said earlier shows the state of New Jersey if every secondary freight line became a passenger route. I personally doubt that this map will mean anything in the long run. You have to remember that just because a freight line is considered a secondary it doesn't mean that there is only a train on it once in a blue moon. Some secondary freight lines have trains on it that run once a day. In regards to the Monmouth-Ocean Middlesex route this proposal goes back to the days when the CNJ Southern Division (known as the Southern Secondary today) was the route of the Blue Comet CNJ's most famous passenger train which ran from Jersey City to Atlantic City. Passenger service was discontinued in 1956 along the Southern Division. The major issue with the MOM Line right now is that not only has it become a political free for all several towns with in the proposed routes don't want it Example Jamesburg up in Southern Middlesex County. Along the Conrail Southern Secondary today 70% of the railroad crossings have crossbucks and flashing lights. There are only about maybe 4 or 5 crossings along the entire line that have gates. In addition the freight line runs past the US Navy Weapon Station Earle on one side and the County Landfill on the other. I doubt that would be an issue. The Freehold Secondary is what they call a Light Density Line where the only train you would see going into downtown freehold if any would have one freight car on it. In addition NJ Transit runs a lot of commuter bus service in the Freehold area as well.

Eric

I think the proposals didnt just include putting cars on existing trackage, but expand trackage to allow for both to occupy the right of way. As for west trenton, i know for a fact that this sees heavy freight usage. I used to hang out in yardley & often found myself walking to the train station there and watch freight trains go by some slowly some not so slowly. They would add 2 tracks there and make it 3 tracks the whole way instead of it becoming 1 track farther into NJ.

- Andy

Archived