reyhound

20 Dundalk

GREYHOUND That is......... Planning a trip to Baltimore in Oct on the 'Hound was wondering which type of equipment would most likely be running from Dallas to Baltimore? i am not too good at ID ing highway coaches .Last time i rode Greayhound was over 20 years ago and i think they were using MC12 Coaches . If this question is to broad i am sorry i just wonder what trend GH is using in buying new coaches engine trans choices? I heard Detroit is not making bus engines anymore

Thanks

Planning a trip to Baltimore in Oct on the 'Hound was wondering which type of equipment would most likely be running from Dallas to Baltimore? i am not too good at ID ing highway coaches .Last time i rode Greayhound was over 20 years ago and i think they were using MC12 Coaches . If this question is to broad i am sorry i just wonder what trend GH is using in buying new coaches engine trans choices? I heard Detroit is not making bus engines anymore

Thanks

Most if not all of the MC-series coaches Greyhound used to run are retired; there may or may not be a few MC12s left in service but as far as I know that's it. Most of their coaches are MCI 45' D, G, or J-series, with a some 102DL3s in there. The latest order of buses they got was Prevost X3-45s, but those seems to be predominantly for use on the eastern seaboard so you probably won't wind up on one of those. I believe most transmissions are either Allison or ZF, and as far as engines are concerned older buses may well use DD60s or CAT C13s. The Prevosts I believe use Volvo D13 engines, and Detroit Diesel has released a new engine called the DD13 for OTR coaches that Greyhound might order.

So the 102 DL3 is an older model?

thanks for the reply i thought the MC's series was fading away

the older MCI's are mainly gone from the US, you can find a vast majority of old MCI's from Greyhound Canada, but you will most like get a J or D series 4500 :P

J4500:

2605269562_601b39dc06.jpg

G4500

Greyhound_Lnes_MCI_G4500_7061.jpg

i personally have never been on the G4500 but ive always wanted to ride one

Greyhound is running mainly new Prevost X3-45's around here now. They also have a few new MCI D4505's. There are also a good fleet of rebuilt to better-than-new condition 102DL3's, as well as many unrebuilt ones. The G4500's are getting to be a rare sight around here, as are old MC-12's.

I haven't seen any Greyhound J4500 models. Perhaps they acquired a handful of those from subsidiary companies? Greyhound Canada even has some Prevost H3-45's and Prevost XLII's.

• 1 month later...

I am now back in Texas ..On the way to Baltimore i rode on 3 102DL3 coaches the second and longest ride was on #6595 very smooth ride the driver said Series 60 with a ZF 75-80+ MPH all day long by my phone GPS

On the way back from Baltimore to Richmond I caught the H3 or XC3 I know i may not make many friends but i did not care much for the Prevost. Just my opinion

The seats were un comfortable and the ride was a little harsh the other 2 were DL3 and nice and smooth On another note i never noticed that these buses hade Jakes Not all operators switched them on even on the highway

On the way back from Baltimore to Richmond I caught the H3 or XC3 I know i may not make many friends but i did not care much for the Prevost. Just my opinion

The seats were un comfortable and the ride was a little harsh the other 2 were DL3 and nice and smooth On another note i never noticed that these buses hade Jakes Not all operators switched them on even on the highway

That was the X3 and yeah the seats are horrible in those buses. They are way too low to the floor. I've gotten to the point of avoiding the X3s unless I'm forced to pad on a specific schedule.

They have quite a bit of MC-12s left (150+), however they are very rarely used in the Northeast corrider. They like to use the X3s and refurb'd DL3/D4500s. I find it sad considering just a few years ago the -12s went everywhere, the NY-Montreal run was almost all -12 at one point. Alot of the Gs have been transfered to Americanos/Cruceros and some even sold. I know the is one G4500 that has been refurb'd in the new color scheme but from everything I've heard they want those buses gone.

As far as the Jake...alot of guys don't use them to give a smoother ride. I agree with that, I don't use the jake or retarder at all.

Archived