Bus accident

robb911

Hi, just had a quick question & I hope someone is able to answer my questions. I'm actually a tour bus driver. I was involved in an accident in which I struck a passenger crossing the street on a turn. As I know the pedestrian fine( as some could be after that) but they wouldn't give me any info about the extent of the pedestrian injuries. Two question I had in regards to this were, am I liable in anyway or is this a company matter, 2). I do have my name on the bus operators list, does that affect my standing with the MTA?...

That is what they call a "knockdown", can't answer your question as to

how that will effect your chances of getting hired by the MTA in the future.

What part of the bus hit the pedestrian? was there a police report filed?

the injured person would sue the company that you work for if they wanted

to pursue it. They go after who has the deepest pockets, so I wouldn't worry

about you getting sued.

Well the right front corner.. and yes a police report was filed.....that's what everyone keeps saying, just a little worried is all but thank you for the responses. sigh.

I bet it was ruled a no fault accident on the police report, not blaming

you for having a cdl related job prior to going to the MTA, you have to make a living regardless.

Anyone of us can have an accident with our own personal vehicles no matter how safe of a driver you think you are, there are a lot of dangerous aggressive drivers out there who should have their licenses revoked.

Now if that were to have happened during your probation with the MTA as

a B/O....:eek:

Hi, just had a quick question & I hope someone is able to answer my questions. I'm actually a tour bus driver. I was involved in an accident in which I struck a passenger crossing the street on a turn. As I know the pedestrian fine( as some could be after that) but they wouldn't give me any info about the extent of the pedestrian injuries. Two question I had in regards to this were, am I liable in anyway or is this a company matter, 2). I do have my name on the bus operators list, does that affect my standing with the MTA?...

Robb911,

I'm assuming that the company you drove for is self insured. A pedestrian knockdown is usually considered 100% Preventable according to NYCT standards. The company that you were driving for would do the leg work in following up on the condition of the person who was struck.

Be completely honest about what occured when asked to supply a list of past accidents/colissions that occured within the requested time frame on the application. I can say that your application will be judged fairly and certainly if there are no other issues on your application that would raise a red flag, that would work in your favor.

In the future, when preparing to turn, no matter what bus company you drive for:

-Reduce your speed the final 1/3 of the block approaching the corner,

-Cover your brake turning (if it does not stop the bus from moving around the corner when off the accelerator" (Vary by bus model)

-Scan your mirrors, move around in the seat around those "temporary obstructions" that are not considered blindspots if they can be seen by the naked eye when moving in the seat.

-Keep this in your head, it rhymes:

"Do not accelerate until your straight!" Do not return to the accelerator until the bus is straight and has completed the turn and you have insured that you have cleared the rear of your bus.

All the best in the hiring process.

Been working there for about 2 years now, and thanks ^^ this is my first accident period, job related & personal life, and yes their insured. Naturally i've been a little jittery since the incident but i'm starting to feel better, and being even double sure on turns and blind spots.

Glad to hear that it was your first job/personal related incident.

Slow down, stay alert and learn from it. Ask yourself an honest question and provide an honest answer to yourself: (You don't need to post it or even respond)

If you were in the same location, same situation and had a do-over, what would you do differently? A good question to ask ourselves after the fact!

Stay well!

Archived