Create your own route/variant thread

DaTransitMan4608

My mistake qjt, I thought that was one of your plans at first.

Btw, dont feel secluded to just use a 300 number for your route creation. NJT doesnt have any 200 series routes so feel free to use a 200 series route.

my original idea had 200 series rtes BUT I scrapped it in wake of the service cuts in 2010 and created a merger style approach so NJT would buy into it better and in a sense they did sadly my ideas were incomplete at the time. But I will make a few new 300 series rtes some express to monmouth and others to be a variant of 319. I admit the 126 idea was wacky but I thought it was good cause when I announced it along with 320's extension one NJT rep asked for a business card maybe NJT is just wacky. I now have only a few rte creations new 305 in long distance form, resurected 884 in long-distance form a new revived and overhauled 304 and 325 and regional rte 1 rte and one to morris from new brunswick several will replace existing lines in a sense

Extending the 601 is a new route and more expensive even if its just 2 or 3 buses. NJT Mercer doesnt have enough buses out of the Hamilton Garage for that. NJT Bus damn sure aint going to send any EXTRA buses there. The 312L will give those in Lakewood a chance to have a direct bus to Six Flags instead of taking a 139/307 combo. No one in Toms River wants to take a bus to Six Flags or to Trenton for that matter theres no sense in that {they already have the 67, 67X, 137X, 319 & Academy for the Airport/Newark Penn & New York} they all drive to Six Flags. Now @ Lakewood thats a different story. Atlantic City Six Flags bound people will have a direct bus just like those from Philadelphia & Camden & New York & Newark. Six Flags needs direct buses not a damn bus that going across state thats making local stop at that. Its not good. Im saying whats logical. You need to be a bus op or work on the inside so you can see what im saying. The 312/312L would only run in one direction in the AM up until 10-11AM and between 5-11PM when the park closes; the time would depend on what day and time the park would close but in the summer the average time it closes is 1030pm.

The 319 serves its own right and I use to work that 3 days a week so you cant tell me anything about that & Sirjoka will tell you the same. As I stated before the 319 was basically given to Greyhound & Academy and at anytime NJT can take it back in full. You cant just throw more riders on a route without knowing what it does.

Extending the 601 is a new route and more expensive even if its just 2 or 3 buses. NJT Mercer doesnt have enough buses out of the Hamilton Garage for that. NJT Bus damn sure aint going to send any EXTRA buses there. The 312L will give those in Lakewood a chance to have a direct bus to Six Flags instead of taking a 139/307 combo. No one in Toms River wants to take a bus to Six Flags or to Trenton for that matter theres no sense in that {they already have the 67, 67X, 137X, 319 & Academy for the Airport/Newark Penn & New York} they all drive to Six Flags. Now @ Lakewood thats a different story. Atlantic City Six Flags bound people will have a direct bus just like those from Philadelphia & Camden & New York & Newark. Six Flags needs direct buses not a damn bus that going across state thats making local stop at that. Its not good. Im saying whats logical. You need to be a bus op or work on the inside so you can see what im saying. The 312/312L would only run in one direction in the AM up until 10-11AM and between 5-11PM when the park closes; the time would depend on what day and time the park would close but in the summer the average time it closes is 1030pm.

The 319 serves its own right and I use to work that 3 days a week so you cant tell me anything about that & Sirjoka will tell you the same. As I stated before the 319 was basically given to Greyhound & Academy and at anytime NJT can take it back in full. You cant just throw more riders on a route without knowing what it does.

In a way it will be split with howell and toms river to take care of it done. Ohh good point about lakewood though but in summers create an extension of select 139 trips to six flags from lakewood or interline 139 with 312. Also in a sense afterwards in the summer it can be used for long beach or a new rte for that purpose. OK you are right about the 319 so your saying potential 312 users will overpower the 319 due to crowds???

Hey all,

I am a new poster here but have been following for some time. Anyway, here are some of my ideas for new NJT routes:

20 Montclair-Hoboken: Basically a new incarnation of the old DeCamp/Carefree 22 route, except that it would begin/end at Hoboken Terminal with limited peak-hour service to Journal Square. It would begin at Park & Bloomfield in Montclair Center, travel down Walnut Street, then Grove, then Glen Ridge Avenue, continue onto Belleville Avenue and Belleville Turnpike. This route would serve as somewhat of a partial replacement for the lower Boonton Line as well as fill in lots of missing gaps along Belleville Ave corridor, connecting several north-south bus corridors (Broad Street, Franklin Ave, Union Av, Washington Av and Kearny Av/Ridge Road).

77 Newark-Clifton-Passaic: A ressurection of the old 112 Newark-Clifton. This would also replace the 74 Union Av service. Would begin at Penn Station, operate via Raymond, Broad, Central, Norfolk/Clifton, then onto Mount Prospect, continuing onto Union Av, then Centre Street, Washington, Kingsland, Cathedral/Passaic into downtown Passaic ending at the Passaic Terminal.

710 Montclair-Hackensack: Would be a more express version of the 709 which is extremely local and extremely slow. The 710 can begin in Montclair Center, run down Bloomfield Avenue, then Broad Street, then Watchung, then via the GS Parkway to exit 159, get off the BP Expressway (I-80) at exit 62 (Saddle River Road), then run via Railroad Av, Rochelle Av, Farview, serve GS Plaza, Ikea, then operate via NJ-4 to serve the Bergen Mall, continue on NJ-4 to Hackensack Av, then run into downtown Hackensack to the terminal.

820 New Brunswick-Bound Brook-Bridgewater Would operate via Easton Avenue between downtown New Brunswick and Bound Brook, then would operate to the Bridgewater Commons Mall basically along the 114 route/NJ-28 corridor.

A route from New Brunswick to the Shore area, along the NJ-18 corridor.

A route from North Jersey to the Cherry Hill/Camden/Philadelphia area as others have mentioned. Such a route could have certain trips begin either in New York or Jersey City/Newark (like the 319) then operate via the NJ Turnpike stopping at Newark Airport, Downtown New Brunswick, Cherry Hill Mall, Walter Rand and presumably Philadelphia.

Not sure if there'd be much demand for a direct route to Glouceter and Salem Counties from New York/North Jersey but would be interesting to ponder...

I also think it would be wise to create a route, or series of routes, along the I-287 corridor, linking major employment, population and recreational centers such as Parsippany, Morristown, Bridgewater, Piscataway, New Brunswick and Metropark.

I'll probably think of some more in the future!

Hey all,

I am a new poster here but have been following for some time. Anyway, here are some of my ideas for new NJT routes:

20 Montclair-Hoboken: Basically a new incarnation of the old DeCamp/Carefree 22 route, except that it would begin/end at Hoboken Terminal with limited peak-hour service to Journal Square. It would begin at Park & Bloomfield in Montclair Center, travel down Walnut Street, then Grove, then Glen Ridge Avenue, continue onto Belleville Avenue and Belleville Turnpike. This route would serve as somewhat of a partial replacement for the lower Boonton Line as well as fill in lots of missing gaps along Belleville Ave corridor, connecting several north-south bus corridors (Broad Street, Franklin Ave, Union Av, Washington Av and Kearny Av/Ridge Road).

77 Newark-Clifton-Passaic: A ressurection of the old 112 Newark-Clifton. This would also replace the 74 Union Av service. Would begin at Penn Station, operate via Raymond, Broad, Central, Norfolk/Clifton, then onto Mount Prospect, continuing onto Union Av, then Centre Street, Washington, Kingsland, Cathedral/Passaic into downtown Passaic ending at the Passaic Terminal.

710 Montclair-Hackensack: Would be a more express version of the 709 which is extremely local and extremely slow. The 710 can begin in Montclair Center, run down Bloomfield Avenue, then Broad Street, then Watchung, then via the GS Parkway to exit 159, get off the BP Expressway (I-80) at exit 62 (Saddle River Road), then run via Railroad Av, Rochelle Av, Farview, serve GS Plaza, Ikea, then operate via NJ-4 to serve the Bergen Mall, continue on NJ-4 to Hackensack Av, then run into downtown Hackensack to the terminal.

820 New Brunswick-Bound Brook-Bridgewater Would operate via Easton Avenue between downtown New Brunswick and Bound Brook, then would operate to the Bridgewater Commons Mall basically along the 114 route/NJ-28 corridor.

A route from New Brunswick to the Shore area, along the NJ-18 corridor.

A route from North Jersey to the Cherry Hill/Camden/Philadelphia area as others have mentioned. Such a route could have certain trips begin either in New York or Jersey City/Newark (like the 319) then operate via the NJ Turnpike stopping at Newark Airport, Downtown New Brunswick, Cherry Hill Mall, Walter Rand and presumably Philadelphia.Not sure if there'd be much demand for a direct route to Glouceter and Salem Counties from New York/North Jersey but would be interesting to ponder...I also think it would be wise to create a route, or series of routes, along the I-287 corridor, linking major employment, population and recreational centers such as Parsippany, Morristown, Bridgewater, Piscataway, New Brunswick and Metropark. I'll probably think of some more in the future!

Bold DON'T EVEN BOTHER the buses to gloucester from philly are literally 2 blocks from greyhound. Let NYC bound folk use the current 400 series to philly then transfer to greyhound. NYC has no huge demand for going straight to gloucester I used to head out there by using greyhound or megabus then I would transfer to 410 or 401 sometimes I would even use 402 If I am heading out to salem. If 423 was still around NYC ppl heading to salem could have used greyhound then transfer BUT 423 was utterly useless and as 553 would say went nowhere.

DAMN beat me to it with 820 BUT I would have 820 as a regional line going onward to morristown replacing 875. Or 820 as a rte 1 line to quaker bridge mall then call it 615.

I was thinking the same thing a few months but never shared it here I did however share something similar with an NJT planning analyst.

An express rte to camden via New brunswick ehh well you can have it replace MCAT M1 up to 8A park and ride then go express to cherry hill mall. I was always thinking about extending existing rtes rather than creating new ones unless absoultely no other way It was designed with compressing the system in mind. MCAT bus rtes can all be eliminated and replaced by NJT like 820 can replace the DASH and MCAT M4 in the process. Again to the shore area you can simply extend 818 then disgard the rte 9 segment to make it practical Heck that 820 you made can be a ressurrection of the 884 since the 884's garage was in new brunswick!!!!!! Did you know NJT subsidises worthless county shuttles such as DASH and SCOOT from ridewise.org and MCAT from here kmm.org.

HMM I wonder what other ideas you may have which 700 lines are very slow to you???

Slightly little-off-topic, is any SEPTA Bus Routes entering NJ, Delware, NJT Buses entering PA/NY, and DART entering Philadelphia has USDOT #s, which allowed them to make stop?

For septa rtes entering NJ I think they need 2 more one to replace Burlink B9 selected 70 runs and another over the highway septa 22 via newton then I-95 to business parks in west trenton then off peak quaker bridge if possible but only if money is there. Not merger like my other ideas.

I think (NJT) to me add more summer service to #308 NYC-Six Flags during summer season because #308 only has one trip going to Six Flags, which might be pain for many people from NYC going to Six Flag like Bee-Line buses does with Playland Amusement Park.

hmm the 308 is a sardine can maybe 553 can shed light on that.

If you mean having 308's running after 8:30 or 9:30 leaving PABT to Six Flags, as a person that drove that bus, I don't think it will happen. As QT said, it is a sardine can. It's a bigger sardine can getting back since there's people that get dropped off at Six Flags and they have to pay to get back to NYC. Either way, I severely doubt that NJT would allow any extra trips. Unless there is a crowd, I mean, a BIG crowd, forget it.

I haven't been on the 308, but from visiting Six Flags so many times, I wouldn't doubt that route gets crowded easily. If you go to Six Flags and see how many people are there, you will know what I'm talking about.

Got some new route/variant ideas:

(61) Perth Amboy-Staten Island

(107M) Maplewood-South Orange-New York

(380) Sandy Hook-New York

(384) Newport Centre Mall-Exchange Place-New York<--Give this one to R&T.

(397) Tinton Falls-Cheesequake P/R-New York

(399) ???-Newark Airport

The 308s sch with that time is just a reference. Thats what time you should be at PABT. There is more then one bus; up to 10 buses and sometime as many as 22-25 especially during Fright Fest. Most of those buses from PABT skip Newark and some 308s start in Newark.

The times in the summer when Id do the 319, the line for the 308 in the AM would be a damn maze.

I haven't been on the 308, but from visiting Six Flags so many times, I wouldn't doubt that route gets crowded easily. If you go to Six Flags and see how many people are there, you will know what I'm talking about.

Got some new route/variant ideas:

(61) Perth Amboy-Staten Island

(107M) Maplewood-South Orange-New York

(380) Sandy Hook-New York

(384) Newport Centre Mall-Exchange Place-New York<--Give this one to R&T.

(397) Tinton Falls-Cheesequake P/R-New York

(399) ???-Newark Airport

Doesn't PATH go to Newport?

Bold DON'T EVEN BOTHER the buses to gloucester from philly are literally 2 blocks from greyhound. Let NYC bound folk use the current 400 series to philly then transfer to greyhound. NYC has no huge demand for going straight to gloucester I used to head out there by using greyhound or megabus then I would transfer to 410 or 401 sometimes I would even use 402 If I am heading out to salem. If 423 was still around NYC ppl heading to salem could have used greyhound then transfer BUT 423 was utterly useless and as 553 would say went nowhere.

DAMN beat me to it with 820 BUT I would have 820 as a regional line going onward to morristown replacing 875. Or 820 as a rte 1 line to quaker bridge mall then call it 615.

I was thinking the same thing a few months but never shared it here I did however share something similar with an NJT planning analyst.

An express rte to camden via New brunswick ehh well you can have it replace MCAT M1 up to 8A park and ride then go express to cherry hill mall. I was always thinking about extending existing rtes rather than creating new ones unless absoultely no other way It was designed with compressing the system in mind. MCAT bus rtes can all be eliminated and replaced by NJT like 820 can replace the DASH and MCAT M4 in the process. Again to the shore area you can simply extend 818 then disgard the rte 9 segment to make it practical Heck that 820 you made can be a ressurrection of the 884 since the 884's garage was in new brunswick!!!!!! Did you know NJT subsidises worthless county shuttles such as DASH and SCOOT from ridewise.org and MCAT from here kmm.org.

HMM I wonder what other ideas you may have which 700 lines are very slow to you???

Well the 756 is also a useful route that I think could maybe use a little streamlining, or perhaps splitting into two different routes.

One version could run the current route from BCC to Riverside, then get back on NJ-4, take Teaneck Road to Tryon Road to Palisade Avenue through the center of Englewood, then down Broad Av to Fort Lee Rd and end in Fort Lee. The other version could take the current route to downtown Englewood then proceed on Palisade Avenue to Englewood Cliffs. Just an idea.

Here are a couple of others:

-An off-peak 196: Run the current express route to GSP Exit 160, hit GS Plaza, then head up NJ-208 (making stops along the way), serve Oakland, then proceed the normal route to Warwick, NY.

-93H - Possibly rerouting it so that instead of turning from Bay Av onto Broad to Bloomfield Center, it continues straight on Bay Avenue, right on Grove, left on Walnut, left on North Fullerton, right on Bloomfield, end at Park & Bloomfield in Montclair Center.

-Extend the 97 route to Paterson along Valley Road, stopping at MSU along the way.

Well the 756 is also a useful route that I think could maybe use a little streamlining, or perhaps splitting into two different routes.

One version could run the current route from BCC to Riverside, then get back on NJ-4, take Teaneck Road to Tryon Road to Palisade Avenue through the center of Englewood, then down Broad Av to Fort Lee Rd and end in Fort Lee. The other version could take the current route to downtown Englewood then proceed on Palisade Avenue to Englewood Cliffs. Just an idea.

Here are a couple of others:

-An off-peak 196: Run the current express route to GSP Exit 160, hit GS Plaza, then head up NJ-208 (making stops along the way), serve Oakland, then proceed the normal route to Warwick, NY.

-93H - Possibly rerouting it so that instead of turning from Bay Av onto Broad to Bloomfield Center, it continues straight on Bay Avenue, right on Grove, left on Walnut, left on North Fullerton, right on Bloomfield, end at Park & Bloomfield in Montclair Center.

-Extend the 97 route to Paterson along Valley Road, stopping at MSU along the way.

hmm interesting but I guess it's finally time to finish what I started here. Does the 196 even warrant off-peak service??? warwick is bedroom community you know have you even been there to orange county??? 756 well that is similar to something I had a few weeks back but mine is a bit different. 756 from teneck rd to englewood is a duplicate of other rtes so that segment is dropped. The rest of the route is transfered to the 186 which gets rerouted off of teneck rd since 167 basically owns that corridor then 186 gets enhanced to every 30 mins then becomes a GSP express rte from GSPlaza absorbing 874 and parts of 871 and 873 on 2 variants. The bergen college segment however is either kept or transfered to new express rte 304 a restoration of the newark airport line but to north bergen P&R then express to hackensack absorbing 753 bergen town center rting then absorbing 756 remaining segment to bergen community the line will be modded to link with shortline on rte 17 sort of. The idea I made makes 186 useful and unique not just another variant of 167 to GWB. The 167 needs no other variants. 753's segment to new milford is wasteful and duplicates 175 and 167 therefore is dropped. 772 should lose off peak service then extend back to secaucus merging with 329. 772 I never understood it's use. to avoid duplicates click here http://www.dougandadrienne.info/njbus/indexnnj.html this will give you a better idea where NJT's flaws are.

A better idea would probably be to run the 126 to Newport-Hamilton Park full time.

Dunno. The amount of times I driven the 126H (I call it the H since it goes to Hamilton Park), there was only stragglers on the bus. Dunno if that is a good idea. Plus, from the way the cars are parked, it's incredible that there hasn't been any accidents using NOVA's, NABI's, FLEX's, and MCI's (And I mean the 45's.....why on earth NJT would allow a 45 in that tight area during the rush, I'll never know)

Edit: Let me clarify: The Regular 126 or 126W (Willow Ave) is full all the time, but by the time it reaches to 2nd street, it's empty or has a few stragglers to Hamilton Park.

Archived