LI Bus: Condition CRITICAL

PinePower

The N93 used a route served by five different buses (N16, N24 for Social Service, N70/71/72 on Hempstead Turnpike and the Coliseum) and went nowhere. If you had to get to the LIRR from the mall, you had plenty of options - the N15, 16s to Baldwin, N22, 24, 35, 43, 45, 51 and just about the rest all terminated at or stopped by LIRR stations. I can vouch for the 43 and 51 because they actually connect with trains, or at least get there and still have time for you to buy tickets and whatever you need.

the N93 only ran 2 or 3 runs a day, that was it. I remember driving to Roosevelt Field to get a photo of it in action.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The N93 used a route served by five different buses, all of which ran much more often than just one bus an hour (N16, N24 for Social Service, N70/71/72 on Hempstead Turnpike and the Coliseum) and went nowhere. If you had to get to the LIRR from the mall, you had plenty of options - the N15, 16s to Baldwin, N22, 24, 35, 43, 45, 51 and just about the rest all terminated at or stopped by LIRR stations. I can vouch for the 43 and 51 because they actually connect with trains, or at least get there and still have time for you to buy tickets and whatever you need.

Good point. It was only actually useful if you were traveling within the Nassau Hub itself. I guess if you already have buses to Mineola and Hempstead, the only thing that you could possibly do is run a couple of short-turns between the mall and railroad stations.

the N93 only ran 2 or 3 runs a day, that was it. I remember driving to Roosevelt Field to get a photo of it in action.

Correct. And it actually was one of the few routes that actually did carry 2 people per trip (it actually said that each trip only had 1 or 2 people on average)

2) Well, there are the N14, N57, and N58 (of which the N58 is the only one with midday service), but you have a point there. But I still don't see a real problem in that. As you know, I think it's better to have a community served by a route that brings them to more destinations than just the neighborhood railroad (or in the case of NYC, subway) station. But I guess as the saying goes "Different strokes for different folks".

I remember we had a discussion about how the N93 could've been made more useful. Which station did you say it was better to extend it to: Mineola or Hempstead?

And I don't see what you're saying about Bee-Line curtailing service where it's being used. Isn't that a bad thing? Or are you saying that they don't provide service where it isn't needed (say, the N73/N74 wouldn't exist)

1st paragraph: I see it as a "real problem" b/c:

1) Too many ppl. are driving to RR stations....

(looks like you seem to think I'm implying that the majority of Nassau county's bus routes should be bus-to-rail routes... which I'm not.... but I do think there should be more of them....

I understand the importance of a network dude....)

2) You have far too many buses w/i Nassau county that are running empty, or just about empty... it's just as bad (if not worse) than the usage of reverse peak express bus service here in the city (an argument the exp. bus haters LOVE to point out).....

... the same argument Pinepower jumps to the opportunity to point out whenever he makes his outcries about Nassau being underserved.... (he) can't have it both ways; don't be so quick to talk about our express buses runnin empty (yeah, I saw that video of his when he was in lower manhattan around 1/2 pm in the afternoon pointing out exp. buses), and be in denial about the buses in your own backyard running empty !

I don't wanna hear all these intracounty LIB routes are carrying heavy.... that's a blatant exaggeration.

2nd paragraph: Mineola.

3rd paragraph: The latter....

I'm sayin there are excessive services (routes) w/i Nassau county.... (I) Can't say the same for Westchester; there isn't one bus route I can honestly say that should not exist in BeeLine's system... Not one.

1st paragraph: I see it as a "real problem" b/c:

1) Too many ppl. are driving to RR stations....

(looks like you seem to think I'm implying that the majority of Nassau county's bus routes should be bus-to-rail routes... which I'm not.... but I do think there should be more of them....

I understand the importance of a network dude....)

2) You have far too many buses w/i Nassau county that are running empty, or just about empty... it's just as bad (if not worse) than the usage of reverse peak express bus service here in the city (an argument the exp. bus haters LOVE to point out).....

... the same argument Pinepower jumps to the opportunity to point out whenever he makes his outcries about Nassau being underserved.... (he) can't have it both ways; don't be so quick to city folks our express buses run empty (yeah, I saw that video of his when he was in lower manhattan around 1/2 pm in the afternoon pointing out exp. buses), and be in denial about the buses in your own backyard running empty !

I don't wanna hear all these intracounty LIB routes are carrying heavy.... that's a blatant exaggeration.

2nd paragraph: Mineola.

3rd paragraph: The latter....

I'm sayin there are excessive services (routes) w/i Nassau county.... (I) Can't say the same for Westchester; there isn't one bus route I can honestly say that should not exist in BeeLine's system... Not one.

1) Can you give an example of a new RR shuttle you would create?

Also, I think part of the reason why people drive is because parking is plentiful and fairly cheap. Out in Great Neck, the parking lot is small, and the N57/N58 actually perform pretty well considering the demographics of the areas they serve. If you did the same thing out in, say Hicksville, you might see the buses that feed the station get better usage.

3) Good point.

1) Can you give an example of a new RR shuttle you would create?

I hate giving spur of the moment examples... but just to give you something to visualize....

For starters, I would bring back the old N95... wouldn't run it as frequently though...

^^ Not counting that....

I'm not in front of a map, but that whole pocket over there b/w hempstead tpke & green acres mall / valley stream (the area surrounding the N1, 2, 8).... I'd form a RR shuttle or two (LIRR Valley stream) out of that....

I would also create some form of Oceanside/East Rockaway (that general area) commuter.... it'd serve LIRR Rockville centre.... the 16 south of the RR station shouldn't exist....

got anymore questions, just post em... time to get outta here... I'll check back in about an hour....

dunno if you know but in many cases the LIRR has its own shuttle buses to the stations if theres a problem. I was on a Montauk train that had a 12-9 and they had shuttle buses in place for some stops.

the 62 is a shuttle route for freeport station to get to some of the businesses there. You cant run buses on the parkway except below Merrick Road.

The 8:53 Montauk Express...is known for 12-9s...lol

I hate giving spur of the moment examples... but just to give you something to visualize....

For starters, I would bring back the old N95... wouldn't run it as frequently though...

^^ Not counting that....

I'm not in front of a map, but that whole pocket over there b/w hempstead tpke & green acres mall / valley stream (the area surrounding the N1, 2, 8).... I'd form a RR shuttle or two (LIRR Valley stream) out of that....

I would also create some form of Oceanside/East Rockaway (that general area) commuter.... it'd serve LIRR Rockville centre.... the 16 south of the RR station shouldn't exist....

got anymore questions, just post em... time to get outta here... I'll check back in about an hour....

Makes sense. Just to be clear, you'd keep all 3 routes, right?

And remind me again the route of the N95. I think it was Amityville->SUNY Farmingdale.

And remind me again the route of the N95. I think it was Amityville->SUNY Farmingdale.

- The N8 would be gone....

- The N1 would run down elmont rd & Hook Creek, to end at Green acres... the number of runs to 165th st bus terminal would increase....

- The N2 would run straight to Hewlett (via LIRR valley stream, no green acres mall)...

it would also be moved off meacham and moved onto franklin / NHP rd.... it would still terminate @ the HS over on covert/tulip....

....and the N95 was the old Farmingdale shuttle.... it served SUNY farmingdale, the newsday HQ, and all those offices/industries over in Melville....

it was Farmingdale LIRR station

The S1 goes from Amityville thru melville and farmingdale state college, and up Route 110 to Walt Whitman Mall and Huntington Village

I seriously doubt NYCT and MTAB buses are not getting their parts. That being said, your play on words is hilarious. :( No one's is gonna save LI Bus. May as well let LI sink into the ocean..:(

NYCT always has the $$, but MTA Bus though hasn't made full service in months. Why no parts, lots of BS from management to save a penny, but lose a hundred anyway.

I seriously doubt NYCT and MTAB buses are not getting their parts. That being said, your play on words is hilarious. :( No one's is gonna save LI Bus. May as well let LI sink into the ocean..:(

Dude.... There are RTS' at West Farms.......

There are Orion 7 NG's in Long Island.....

MTA could have said, "Run my shit!";)

Will you cut the crap you always look for the worst part of the system and bitch. Nassau has 1.3 million ppl alone 100,000 ppl is completely worthless. The problem is that the system isn't integrated enough into nassau if it had a more gridlike system it would be vital to way more than a measly 100000 ppl if N15 and N6 can get crush loaded with a measly percentage imagine the crowds on the buses if 50% of nassau ppl used LIB then you will have slaveships on wheels!!!!! Imaging 500,000 more riders yeah seriously get real. If the bus system carried more ppl ppl would actually care. OHH by the way some ppl who take LIB already drive!!!!!!!! I met several ppl on the N24 who already owned cars but chose to use the bus instead.

Because it's good for the envorniment.

Archived