Which of the following options would you choose? Please vote!

Brandon

Here's a scenario and I'm wondering which option you all prefer, just out of curiosity.

Say your daily commute from point A to point B takes 35 minutes. You have two options to get from point A to point B.

Both option 1 and option 2 take approximately the same amount of time to get from point A to point B, barring any train delays.

Which of the following options would you choose, and why?

Option 1: This option requires you to take only one train to your destination without transferring to another train. It is 11 stops away on the same train line from point A to point B. It takes 25 minutes to get from point A to point B on this one train line. Once you arrive at the point B station, it is further away from point B. You have to walk half a mile (approximately 10 minutes) to get to your destination.

Option 2: This option requires you to take two trains to your destination. You take the first train from point A four stops to the station where you get off and transfer to the second train, which takes roughly 15 minutes. You get off and transfer to the second train, which takes 5 minutes to wait for the next train. You take this second train 5 more stops, which takes roughly 10 minutes. It takes roughly 30 minutes to get from point A to point B on these two train lines. However, once you arrive at the point B station, it is closer to point B. You only have to walk a quarter of a mile (approximately 5 minutes) to get to your destination.

Which option would you choose, and why? I'm interested in hearing your responses.

I've made this decision before. I live in Sheepshead Bay and need to commute to BMCC every morning.

I've had a couple of options but the 2 main options are so:

1. Take the (;)(Q) to Atlantic Ave and transfer to the (2)(3) to Chambers Street, from there it's about a 3 block walk to the main building or 2 block walk to the Murray Street building.

2. Take the (B)(Q) to Dekalb Ave and transfer to the (R) to City Hall and walk I think it was about 6 or 7 blocks to both buildings.

I basically take the first option only because I feel it saves me more time while getting to the buildings. Every morning I aim for the Murray Street building anyway and I think the (1)(2)(3) Chambers Street station is the closest. Also I take this option because if case of rain or snow, they would be the closer stations and I wouldn't have to battle the weather for too long.

So in your case, I'd take Option 2.

Personally, I would choose the direct option for a couple of reasons.

1) There's less potential for delay (if something happens while you're transferring, you just lost time)

2) You keep your seat (if you got one originally, that is)

If you're tired, you may think you're saving energy by making the transfer, but unless it's a cross-platform transfer, you waste all of the energy running up and down the stairs.

The only time when I would really make the option with the transfer is if it's raining or snowing and you avoid having to walk the extra distance.

By the way, maybe there's a bus at the other end of the train line, so if you see one coming, you can use your transfer and hop on to avoid the walk.

It really does depend on the 2nd subway line I would have to xfer to, for me to consider option 2......

Anyway, My answer to this question is option 1... for the simple fact that it doesn't take me 10 mins to walk a 1/2 mile.... hell, the longer the walk & the colder the weather, the better

I face a similar situation but with buses...

I can either go to the Q27 bus stop located conveniently on the QCC campus and take a direct ride to Flushing-Main Street and a Q12 three stops down to my block or I can take a 10 minute walk up towards Northern Blvd from the campus and catch the Q12 directly to my block and just cross the street to my place

If the one line you have to take is an IRT line Option 1 makes the most sense being that IRT lines run with high frequency and you can easily walk to your destination before a B-Division line shows up on the transfer end. (I would still use Option 2 sometimes if I was able to get an R160. :( ) If you're not starting out on an IRT line but are going somewhere close to one use Option 2. Walking might take longer than an IRT subway.

• 3 weeks later...

Option 1... The fewer transfers there are, the fewer possibilities there are for delays. The only way I would go with Option 2 is if the transfer was say across the platform and you've got a train right there, otherwise I'd probably stick w/Option 1. However, I do change my plans in the summertime because I sweat a ton and I hate being all sweaty and such. If it is cooler out then I don't mind walking especially since I walk fast, so long as it isn't a really long distance, this way I don't wear out my leather soled shoes. :mad:

I've made this decision before. I live in Sheepshead Bay and need to commute to BMCC every morning.

I've had a couple of options but the 2 main options are so:

1. Take the (;)(Q) to Atlantic Ave and transfer to the (2)(3) to Chambers Street, from there it's about a 3 block walk to the main building or 2 block walk to the Murray Street building.

2. Take the (:)(Q) to Dekalb Ave and transfer to the (R) to City Hall and walk I think it was about 6 or 7 blocks to both buildings.

I basically take the first option only because I feel it saves me more time while getting to the buildings. Every morning I aim for the Murray Street building anyway and I think the (1)(2)(3) Chambers Street station is the closest. Also I take this option because if case of rain or snow, they would be the closer stations and I wouldn't have to battle the weather for too long.

So in your case, I'd take Option 2.

The (2) and (3) have a greater combined frequency than the (R), so it's more probable that the train you want is arriving or at the station already. You do exact a guaranteed fixed time cost by running from the (B)(Q) platform to the (2)(3) platform though—something that a cross platform transfer doesn't suffer from.

Archived