XD40 @ Zerega awaiting acceptance

Acela Express

Had to report to Zerega this morning, but was able to look into the XD40, check out the controls and speak with the techies onboard- as they are modifying a few things to be MTA-acceptable, so to speak. These are quick shots, and definitely not the best.

6ru7ly.jpg

2a0dl6c.jpg

kcnkn4.jpg

20iwbww.jpg

f41xlz.jpg

28bbmfa.jpg

144748g.jpg

28b4gm8.jpg

2h7jfyr.jpg

r1igki.jpg

sazii0.jpg

Again, not the best, but it's something to gaze on for now. I couldn't get to the front of the bus as they were working there at the time being.

If I can get some shots tomorrow I will.

Enjoy.

Excellent! I can't wait to ride these to school on the S93 Limited!

@CG: The back seats look all forward-facing to me...no "conversation seats" lol. I still think the U-style seating should be in the back so there'd be more space.

That rear seating arrangement is awful. They tried it with the Orion VII NGs here and it does not work at all if a route gets SRO. You literally have to force people to move back. And then there are the people that think the rear door area is a damn lounge and take that space up as well.

Yeah well that's the only place that you can stand and have a little space. The aisles are just too narrow on those buses. The NOVAS have more aisle space in the front, but the back is no good.

Eh, some OK shots again.

Was able to play around with some of the controls today, and it's damn comfortable in the "cockpit", even with the new plexiglass they've installed on driver's sector.

The GS of training was testing the bus around the Castle Hill area today, and he loved it.

153lkwx.jpg

27zes1f.jpg

avh00j.jpg

Excellent! I can't wait to ride these to school on the S93 Limited!

@CG: The back seats look all forward-facing to me...no "conversation seats" lol. I still think the U-style seating should be in the back so there'd be more space.

Thanks. And good. I hate those seats. The older O7s had it right with foward facing 2x2 seats and then a 3 seater interior facing 'bench' on both sides and the back row.

I don't like the 'U shape' because the seats are too small and I generally hate it when a big person tries to squeeze into a small space b/w where I and another guy am sitting in. THat's why I like the forward facing seats so at least if I'm sitting in that, the person next to me has to sit a little bit in the aisle.

It comes back to bench vs bucket seating. The buckets are too small and they don't have dividers [like armrests or rather an empty space] to give additional space for people with wider upper bodies. Basically, you have to be pretty skinny to fit in those buckets.

MTA workers ARE underpaid, but to be fair the funds for hiring and wages are separate from the funds for equipment. It's also not a sunroof, it's the emergency exit.

Even though the NYCTA is a state agency, we often get lumped in with city agencies. And compared to other city agencies, the hourly employees (like myself) get paid way less. If i was a city mechanic (FDNY, NYPD, DSNY, DOT) i would be getting paid $38/hr instead of $32...

MTA workers ARE underpaid, but to be fair the funds for hiring and wages are separate from the funds for equipment. It's also not a sunroof, it's the emergency exit.

Ok, I'm all about just pay. But lets snap back to reality right quick...MTA workers are FAR from underpaid, The MTA falls in the top percentile in terms of earnings countrywide. The median for bus operators in the country is $12.44 and $21.58. MTA Bus Operators top out at near $30 an hour.

MTA Cleaners make base $40,000 if not a little more. Meanwhile, NJ Transit cleaners are barely breaking $30,000!

Then you factor in overtime, you got Bus Operators and Motormen clearing more money per year than some of the management! 6 figures in some cases...And ya'll are underpaid?!

I honestly believe, no, I take that back I know MANY MTA employees are living WAY beyond their means. You go to a freaking MTA Bus Depot and look at the damn employee lot, some of them look like the car show at the Jacob Javits Center. So I'm not swallowing the underpaid excuses from any MTA employee.

And I don't care if any MTA employee that post here don't like what I said, but its the truth, Live within your means, keep up with yourself and not the Jones.

Archived