Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Depot Fleet Ages

MHV9218

Really amazing how old some of the express bus fleet is, and here on Staten Island it is really showing. Just about everything is broken, particularly on the Castleton Depot buses. I mean all of the express buses that they have out of Castleton are all hand-me-down garbage that should've been retired already. They really need some new express buses for NYCT in general. I mean just about every couple of days I see MCI express buses from Ulmer Park on the side of the road of the Gowanus broken down.

I'd hadn't realized just how old the SI buses were, it really is pretty shocking. There are a lot of new buses on the way soon between the 40-footers and 45-footers, but currently the borough's gotten hit hard. Castleton especially, I remember seeing 1865 when it was Quill and then expecting it would be long gone after the x90 was cut, and then suddenly it, 1862, and all the oldest buses are at Castleton. Very odd if you ask me.

Yeah I know... I'm familiar with most of these buses... They're either from Quill, or (MTA) Bus mainly. Some were rehabbed or whatever, but it is time for them to go. The only reason why Castleton's age overall seems decent is because most of the fleet for the local buses is relatively new, but the express buses are the complete opposite. What's worse is the X10 and X14 aren't exactly short runs either, so they really need some new buses and soon.

Really amazing how old some of the express bus fleet is, and here on Staten Island it is really showing. Just about everything is broken, particularly on the Castleton Depot buses. I mean all of the express buses that they have out of Castleton are all hand-me-down garbage that should've been retired already. They really need some new express buses for NYCT in general. I mean just about every couple of days I see MCI express buses from Ulmer Park on the side of the road of the Gowanus broken down.

SI buses are garbage b/c SI maintenance is a joke. they get nice buses that they get from BK get trashed b/c SI BMB's are lazy...

SI buses are garbage b/c SI maintenance is a joke. they get nice buses that they get from BK get trashed b/c SI BMB's are lazy...

Oh please... Most of the NYCT express buses are garbage now, so spare me and in all fairness, Staten Island particularly Castleton and Charleston have the oldest express buses in the system.

Oh please... Most of the NYCT express buses are garbage now, so spare me and in all fairness, Staten Island particularly Castleton and Charleston the oldest express buses in the system.

I don't buy that. Spring Creek gave up some 1800/1900s to SI and those buses were in AWESOME shape. Just a couple months in SI and they are already getting beat to hell. That's why I think the X3s are gonna have a bad time in SI....like I said earlier, all the X3s should go to Ulmer Park and the send their good MCIs to SI, because if they can't maintain a MCI then they will have big problems with the Prevost. Those buses demand attention,they will not put up with neglect.

I don't buy that. Spring Creek gave up some 1800/1900s to SI and those buses were in AWESOME shape. Just a couple months in SI and they are already getting beat to hell. That's why I think the X3s are gonna have a bad time in SI....like I said earlier, all the X3s should go to Ulmer Park and the send their good MCIs to SI, because if they can't maintain a MCI then they will have big problems with the Prevost. Those buses demand attention,they will not put up with neglect.

What don't you buy?? Most of the NYCT express bus fleet is aging and there is no disputing that Castleton has the oldest express bus fleet in the system. In fact, throughout the years, they have generally had the oldest express bus fleet in the system. The got a break for a little while when they were lent some of the 32XXs from (MTA) Bus. I am not saying that there isn't neglect at Castleton, BUT it isn't like they've generally had new fleet to work with. You also have to keep in mind that Castleton Depot has been operating above capacity for many years, taking on a huge load of buses with no space to do any maintenance work. Now they only have the X10 and the X14, but Castleton is in desperate need of an upgrade, so if they had a new/rehabbed depot AND sufficient space to work with, then I would put the blame square on them, but the (MTA) has dragged their feet for 20+ years in taking the strain off of Yukon and Castleton and this is a well known fact.

Truth be told, there has been talk going on for sometime now about the need for a 5th depot on the island because Charleston and Meredith only dealt with the overcrowding at Yukon and Castleton and Castleton needs to be rehabbed, so there is still a lack of space issue going on. Yuikon will eventually need some work as well, as it isn't exactly in the greatest of shape either.

Keep in mind that Spring Creek doesn't have a space issue like Castleton does and also has more time to rehab their express buses, particularly on the weekends. There is no Sunday express bus service and they have a handful of local bus routes. Castleton meanwhile has the X10, which runs 7 days a week, along with a slew of local buses.

Its seem SI riders blame everybody but SI for the way there buses look & run. JG had over 15 routes at one time so spare me that story. What makes it worst u did not have that many models on SI at one time so there is no reason u can't fix the same buses. Not all of the Locals are SRO routes maybe duing rush hour u don't have killer ridership allday like a FB or ENY which had 300 buses at one time. Just the B15 & B82 alone are killer @ all times so really ask yourself what's the problem.

On the express side not all the X are weekend routes so u guy have the same amout of time on the weekends as other depots. I'm not going to say SI is trash anymore but they still have a lot better to do.

Its seem SI riders blame everybody but SI for the way there buses look & run. JG had over 15 routes at one time so spare me that story. What makes it worst u did not have that many models on SI at one time so there is no reason u can't fix the same buses. Not all of the Locals are SRO routes maybe duing rush hour u don't have killer ridership allday like a FB or ENY which had 300 buses at one time. Just the B15 & B82 alone are killer @ all times so real ask yourself what's the problem.

Name another borough that had only two bus depots for more than 20+ years with no place to do maintenance?

• 1 month later...

That depends what depots you're talking about. Castleton has a history of bad maintenance, even till today. I saw three CAS buses broken down today, and the day has just begun! Don't let the numbers fool you that CAS is the best in the borough either, from what I heard they don't log the buses that brake down making their MDBF high.

I do agree with VG8 about the newer buses. I've said it before, I truly think they should keep whatever newer model MCIs at the SI Depots and in Ulmer Park, the rest get suburban-styled standard buses and the older MCIs get sold off.

Archived