How Does Recycle Works in Italy, Europe and other Continentals?

FamousNYLover

Since there are Italians and other foreign members, I am curious how people recycle there??

It very restrict in other place?

In Japan, we are very restrict.

http://www.scenicfromafar.com/blog/20/do-your-part-it-starts-with-you-recycle-.html

PET Bottles bin are usually for PET Bottles like water or soda bottles. Plastic cap and labels must be separated.

Plastic Bottle and Can Bin: Anything made out of plastic, including bottle caps, candy wrappers or any metal contents with Pura logo imprinted.

Paper Bin: Papers can be from junk mail, newspaper, school papers, and magazines, car.

Metal and label must be seperated. Like you see on soup can with paper label.

Trash/Buring Garbage:

All other garbages like food waste.

Aluminium cannot be recycle in Japan. Howeer, only homeless can bring cans to recycling centers and they`ll buy the cans. Not all of them.

I not sure if this pic is copyright or not.

3134810764_98bf6c2fe9_b.jpg

I also learned from Japan Video Topic which was hosted in Channel 25 local channel on our old TV (I know other TV might be different) when they had US. Nippon Program for 1-hour usually around Sunday late night.

There was one city in Japan, all garbage trucks operates on garbage wastes.

When I lived in Florence [italy] I did not recycle. At that time I was not aware of any recycling program. What we had was garbage bins at the end of the residential blocks and you would take your garbage out and put it in those bins, which had lids so that the street remained clean and folks would wash down their sidewalks and such with hot soapy water.

HOWEVER, we were very strict in terms of water and gas consumption and such, as those things are very expensive. Gas, water and electric is paid for in addition to your rent, so I would pay 1,250€ a month for rent (~$1,600 US dollars, as the Euro to dollar ratio was about 1.28 or so, perhaps even higher), and then I had to pay for water, gas and electric in Euros, which is maybe double what you would pay here. For four months, I paid about 600€ (~$768.00 US) for gas, water and electricity and that was with very limited use. Of course the advantage is that you have your own seperate gas, water and electric meters and you get to control your heating and such.

I took several measures before leaving to Europe, training myself to take short showers of no more than 10 minutes, flushing the toilet only when necessary and limiting my use of my dishwasher in the kitchen and just washing my dishes by hand. My university encouraged us to throw things like paper into the trash, so as to cut back on water consumption. Of course things like #1 or #2 folks would flush for and put the paper in the toilet, but if you're just drying your hands after washing them, then that paper can be put in the trash instead of using the toilet.

I'm sure that Italy now has some sort of recycling program in vigor because Europeans in general do not like to waste and I am very similar. Here in the U.S., I basically recycle everything possible. My cell phone I will wipe it clean, then clean it and then give it away to a friend to use or turn it in and get money back. All of my plastics, whatever the city doesn't allow us to recycle, I wash them and clean them and let them dry and put them in a Whole Foods bag and recycle them there. Same thing with cardboard, and plastic bags. I reuse all of my Whole Foods bags and any other plastic bags until they are ready to be recycle, so long as they aren't dirty or anything, otherwise those go in the trash. In sum, yeah, I'm pretty green and most Europeans are this way too. :cool:

I sort of wish we re-did garbage pickup here though. The sidewalks get way too dirty with the garbage all over the place.

Archived