Who Would Make Your All-Time Sports Teams, Please?

EE Broadway Local

Which players by position would qualify to make your All-Time teams in Major League Baseball, the National Football League, National Basketball Association and National Hockey League. Professional Soccer, and NASCAR in sports, please?

You can create a first team and a second team or an American League and National League Baseball Team for your favorite sport or sports. These are your team(s). :tup:

Which players by position would qualify to make your All-Time teams in Major League Baseball, the National Football League, National Basketball Association and National Hockey League. Professional Soccer, and NASCAR in sports, please?

You can create a first team and a second team or an American League and National League Baseball Team for your favorite sport or sports. These are your team(s). :tup:

NFL: Don't care

MLB:

C Yogi Berra

1B Lou Gehrig

2B Rogers Hornsby

SS Ernie Banks

3B Mike Schmidt

LF Ted Williams

CF Mickey Mantle

RF Babe Ruth

SP Bob Gibson

SP Walter Johnson

SP Randy Johnson

SP Charley Radbourn

SP Cy Young

CL Mariano Rivera

NBA:

PG John Stockton

SG Kobe Bryant

PF Karl Malone

SF Michael Jordan

C Shaquille O'Neal

NHL:

G Martin Brodeur

D Paul Coffey

D Ray Bourque

F Mario Lemieux

F Wayne Gretzky

F Mark Messier

MLS and Nascar: don't care

With regards to original authentic movie posters, that is the terminology for those posters that are sent to movie theaters only, and aren't found for sale in retail shops. A movie studio will have a poster printed up and then they are distributed to movie theaters around the country. The theaters then display the posters inside or outside their theaters to promote films currently running but also films that are coming soon. Original movie posters use to come folded but there were also rolled originals too, but most of them would ship to theaters folded.

In the mid-80's studios did away with the folded aspect and began shipping posters out to theaters rolled. Around 1988/1989, studios began issuing "double-sided" originals to theaters for the light box frames you see at theaters. This was done because the light would reflect the image more so when a poster was placed in a light box frame (this also has gone through another change over the past few years too that I will touch on later in this post). Studios continued to issue single-sided originals, but double-sided was become the norm if you will.

However, some of the smaller studios that were just starting out were only producing single-sided originals. For example, in the early 90's Miramax Pictures was an unknown studio, and for two of their films "Pulp Fiction" and "The Crow", both of which were released in 1994, ONLY had single-sided originals made. There were no double-sided versions of these posters made. Period. If anyone claims otherwise, they are not as informed as they think they are, because Miramax did not produce double-sided original movie posters for those two films. One of the first double-sided original movie posters from Miramax was for "The English Patient".

There are double-sided original movie posters but then there are also single-sided original movie posters. With the exception listed above, the double-sided ones are for movie theaters only, while the single-sided ones are usually ones that are geared towards advance screening giveaways, convention giveaways, or other promotional events. When a movie has both a double-sided and single-sided movie poster made, collectors prefer double-sided over their single-sided counterpart, and the double-sided ones are generally rarer, and with them being more sought after, they can get much more expensive.

Because original authentic movie posters can't be obtained by simply going to the neighborhood retailer, like you would find a comic book or pack of baseball cards, it has been a rather unique collectible for fans, who not only are a fan of movies, but appreciate the artwork and/or imagery found on movie posters. There have been some amazing movie poster artists out there, one of the most popular (and my favorite) is artist Drew Struzan who has created the artwork on countless number of movie posters from Star Wars styles, to Indiana Jones styles, Blade Runner, The Thing, and many many more. Some posters opt for photography of the stars, etc over an artists interpretation though.

There are not many dealers out there that specialize in original authentic movie posters. While some offer originals, some offer reprints, and some offer a combination of both, there are only a handful that really concentrate on just offering the authentic originals. I am one of those dealers who only will offer the authentic styles you see in theaters, and never any type of reprint/reproduction. Unfortunately there are dealers and individuals who offer reprints but don't bother to inform their customers that what they are ordering IS in fact a reproduction. That is the problem I have with those types of people. Advertising a poster as a reproduction is one thing, but selling one and not explaining the difference is something entirely different. I have no problems with a dealer offering reproductions, so long as they clearly state it is a reproduction.

When a reprint/reproduction poster is issued, generally it is from a company that has been issued a license from the studio to produce and sell a reproduction movie posters. These are generally 24x36 inches in size or 27x39 inches in size. Original authentic movie posters are 27x40 (previously were 27x41 inches) and up until a few years ago, the ways to tell an original from a reprint were generally the size and if the poster was double-sided (but also some other factors).

Now, it's a different story. There are those out that, including a few fellow poster dealers, who have decided that offering reproductions and making them appear as originals can be quite profitable. They don't concern themselves with being honest or reputable, but rather look at the dollar signs at the end of the day. These people hurt the poster collecting hobby, they aren't helping it. Over the years there have been double-sided "fakes" spotted and reported but generally collectors and dealers make it known (such as for Spider-Man, Titanic, etc) so people are on the look out for them and helpful websites such as the Movie Poster Authentication website helps greatly. These double-sided fakes have generally been easy to spot, for example, the posters for "Titanic". The authentic original movie posters for "Titanic" featured gold-colored credits on them. The fakes/reprints had blue-colored credits.

Are all double-sided original movie posters then faked as well? No, not all of them. Generally it is the higher profile posters that are, for films such as the two mentioned above, and most notably "The Dark Knight" but for others as well. When the teaser advance style for "Spider-Man" came out, the poster was quickly recalled from theaters (yes it is true, there are times when a movie is released and later recalled back, which in turn, makes that poster highly sought after just for that reason alone). This "Spider-Man" poster stirred up quite a controversial because the poster featured the reflection of the World Trade Center towers in Spider-Man's eyes on the poster. Sony Pictures recalled the poster from theaters and everyone assumed it was for that very reason because it was in theaters right around 9-11, however, it wasn't recalled for that reason at all. It was because Sony used the image of the Chrysler Building on the poster, without authorization. The WTC reflection/9-11 was just a coincidence on that poster. The trailer was pulled from theaters however, and re-edited, because it in fact showed a helicopter caught between the webbing and the towers, but the poster wasn't recalled because of the 9-11 events. Because this poster was so hot, reprints and bootlegs began appearing everywhere, some single-sided, some double-sided. There are some very informative websites that explain the differences too, so you know what to look for when searching for an original against a fake.

With regards to "The Dark Knight" of the five styles made for the domestic U.S. release, (4 of them for the 2008 release, and 1 style made for the 2009 re-release), only one style generated an enormous amount of attention, thus, brought out the dishonest dealers/individuals and that was the advance style "B", which was the only style released for the U.S. marketing campaign that featured Heath Ledger on the poster in character as The Joker. This style was released to theaters in December 2007, to coincide for the film's first actual trailer showing footage from the film, (the teaser trailer was released in the summer of 2007) and was still on display in theaters across the country when Ledger died suddenly. Theaters were asked to take the posters done because the studio didn't want to appear that they were trying to capitalize on his death by promoting the film, which was all just a big coincidence. Most theaters complied, some didn't. Theaters were sent more of the first advance style "A" as replacements. However, because of his death, some people wanted to capitalize on his death as soon as they could and started putting out reproductions onto the market as originals and fans as well as collectors were buying them up like crazy. Most dealers who had the true authentic originals sold out within days, if not hours, of the news spreading of Ledger's passing. The authentic originals, like any collectible, began rising in price, just like a piece of artwork would if the artist passes. Original movie posters have always been considered investments to collectors because they are not only difficult to obtain, but some posters will increase value faster than others, for various reasons. With this Dark Knight style "B", people started coming out of the woodwork for the posters, some happy to have a reprint, but many wanting the authentic originals. One dealer in particular, that I refer to as "MG" started selling reproductions from their website, and making the double-sided. Why? In my opinion, to fool those into thinking they would have an original. This triggered fans into thinking they had the real deal, and would buy more to re-sell on eBay. When I think about it today, the sheer number of people who think they have an original authentic version but really have a home made reproduction, is disappointing to say the least. For the record, the original authentic version of this poster is 27" across by 40 1/16" high (also referred to as 27x40.1 inches). To my knowledge, only three movie poster dealers have these available, and I am one of them.

Over the last few years, double-sided original movie posters have gone through one major change, that at first, most people wouldn't notice, but once they know what to look for, it's pretty clear what this change is. If you take a double-sided movie poster, let's say the first advance style "A" from "The Dark Knight" (the graffiti wall style with the black circles and dripping blood red Bat logo on the wall), and then took the "Sherlock Holmes" teaser advance styles that were just released to theaters, and flipped them over, you will see the difference. The Dark Knight poster will have the same color consistency on the front, as well as on the back of the poster. However, if you look at the Sherlock Holmes posters, the front of the poster is very vibrant, but the backside, while still double-sided, has a "faded" look to it. The coloring and vibrancy isn't nearly as pronounced on the back as it is on the front.

In my opinion, this is being done for a few reasons. The first reason, and clearly the most evident, is because the light from a light box frame in a theater will reflect better through a lighter source, than a darker one. Before, when the poster had the same color consistency on both sides, the light would reflect but not as much as it does now. By making the backside a lighter version of the front, the poster is still double-sided, yet the light can reflect the poster artwork much more than ever before. If you have a movie theater local to your area, go by and see if they have these Sherlock Holmes styles up in their lobbies, and you will see that the light almost makes these posters glow and really stand out now. The second reason this could be done, and just my guess, is to prevent counterfeits from appearing. This reason is probably a speculation on my part, and reason #1 above being the real reason why studios are doing this faded lighter backside look to the poster, but perhaps maybe a small reason is the counterfeits out there.

Most Star Wars movie poster collectors will know that when the Star Wars prequel films were released, George Lucas made sure to add something to the posters that would set the original authentic ones apart from any reprints/counterfeits. He added an anti-counterfeit watermark on the posters. Not all of the prequels have them, but for example, if you take the final style of "Revenge of the Sith" (featuring artwork by Drew Struzan) and flipped it over so you were looking at the backside, right around Padame's head, looking at the right angle, you can see a Lucasfilm title and logo. At first glance, you can't see it, but then again, you cant' see the ghostly image on a $100 bill unless you look at it in the correct lighting. I give kudos for Lucas for doing this to his posters, which he also did on the posters for the latest "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (again with artwork by Struzan). I do my best to inform my customers of things like this, so they know what to look out for when searching for an original. Do all dealers do this? No, they don't. Some don't even know themselves, but I feel the more informed a person is, the easier it is for them to make decisions when it comes to original movie posters they are looking to add to their collections.

There is a lot more I am leaving out, such as the many styles of original movie posters produced for a film, with some films having one poster, some films having multiple posters. The differences between domestic U.S. movie posters and International styles, as well as foreign styles, and also the lenictular 3-D style movie posters, but also the fan-made posters that are nothing more than fans who design their own posters and put the images on YouTube, MySpace, etc and try to fool people into thinking they are the real movie poster (The Dark Knight is an example of this), and the dealers who then take these images and reproduce them and sell them on their site, even though they were were created by fans.

However, I think I have made this post long enough, and hopefully can help educate collectors, both new and old, when it comes to making the right decisions when purchasing originals over reproductions. :cool:

I am going to list '2' sections for MLB for all time lineups. One before 1972 and another for my lifetime from 1972-2011. Big reason the steriods era changed baseball forever. I agree with Subway Guys with many of his selections. However a couple of his i have to disagree with which i point at at end of this list.

Pre-1972

C Yogi Berra(although Roy 'Camppy' could also be listed here)

1B Lou Gehrig

2B Rogers Hornsby

SS Ernie Banks

3B Eddie Mathews

LF Ted Williams

CF Willie Mays(Although Mantle could also be placed here as a stater)

RF Babe Ruth

Reserve OF Mickey Mantle

SP#1 Cy Young

SP#2 Walter Johnson

SP#3 Sandy Koufax

SP#4 Bob Feller

SP#5 Bob Gibson

"Longman" Whitey Ford

Closer Hoyt Whilem

"DH" Hank Aaron(I know this position was not created until 1973)Just pointing out he one of most underated 'superstars' in sports history.

1972-2011

C John Bench

1B Albert Pujolis

2B Joe Morgan

SS Cal Ripken *although Yount, Ozzie AROD or Jeter could be picked as well)

3B Mike Schmidt

OF Rickey Hernderson(Best leadoff hitter ever)

OF Ken Griffery, Jr.

OF Barry Bonds(pains me to say it but before 'steriods' he already the best OF of the last 40 years)

Reserve OF Ichciro.

DH Reggie Jackson(although E. Martinez could also be here as well)

SP#1 Pedro Martinez

SP#2 Greg Maddux

SP#3 Tom Seaver(most of his carrer was in 'modern' era and underrated among best 'big game pitchers of last 40 years)

SP#4 Randy Johnson

SP#5 Steve Carlton

Longman Nolan Ryan

Closer Mr. Rivera

All time NBA 'dream team':

PG "Magic" Johnson

SG Kobe Bryant

PF Tim Duncan

SF Michael Jordan

C Kareem Abuld Jabber Shaq and Wilt could also be placed here)

Off the bench 5 players only:

Jerry West, Reggie Miller(Guards) Larry Bird (Foward) Shaq and Wilt Chamberlain (Centers).

NFL

Since i am no expert on offensive and defensive linemens, I just list the best NFL players in key positions in my lifetime.

QB Joe Montana

Backup QB Peyton Manning

RB Walter Peyton

RB Emitt Smith

HB/TE Marcus Allen

WR Jerry Rice

WR Micheal Erwin

Back-up WR Lynn Swann

LB Lawerence Taylor

Cornerback/Safety Deion Sanders

All time NHL 'dream team':

G Patrick Roy

D Bobby Orr

D Ray Bourque

F Mario Lemieux

F Wayne Gretzky

F Mark Messier

Best pro hockey player pre-1972. Gowdie Howe.

International Soccer player: Pele

Best Golfer since 1972. Tiger Woods

Best Men's Tennis Player: Pete Sampras.

"Best Female's Tennis Player: Martina Navratilova

With Subway Guy's 'list' he on the 'money' with most of his all time picks. Only 'major' disagreements with his list are why is Sandy Koufax(baseball) Bobby Orr (Hockey) not on his list? On a sport he knows well the NHL, Paul Coffey was a great player but at his 'peak' Bobby Orr was maybe the among 'top 5' players ever? Just my takes.

With Subway Guy's 'list' he on the 'money' with most of his all time picks. Only 'major' disagreements with his list are why is Sandy Koufax(baseball) Bobby Orr (Hockey) not on his list? On a sport he knows well the NHL, Paul Coffey was a great player but at his 'peak' Bobby Orr was maybe the among 'top 5' players ever? Just my takes.

Orr always had bad knees. Longevity is a key component of an all time list, not just career statistics, or peak ability. Orr had six elite seasons, then was out of the game by 30. Coffey was one of the best defensemen in the game until well near age 40, had at least a dozen elite seasons, and rewrote all the defensemen scoring records until later in his career when Bourque caught up to and surpassed them.

Koufax was a good one but Radbourn has some of the most unbelievable pitching numbers ever in his career, and Randy Johnson had the intimidation factor.

Mantle was a more talented hitter than Mays (and an equally capable center fielder although none of his catches are remembered as well as Mays' "catch"), whose career was cut short by his not taking great care of himself etc. Had Mantle stayed healthy he had the talent to make a run at (then) Babe Ruth's career home run record.

Orr always had bad knees. Longevity is a key component of an all time list, not just career statistics, or peak ability. Orr had six elite seasons, then was out of the game by 30. Coffey was one of the best defensemen in the game until well near age 40, had at least a dozen elite seasons, and rewrote all the defensemen scoring records until later in his career when Bourque caught up to and surpassed them.

Koufax was a good one but Radbourn has some of the most unbelievable pitching numbers ever in his career, and Randy Johnson had the intimidation factor.

Mantle was a more talented hitter than Mays (and an equally capable center fielder although none of his catches are remembered as well as Mays' "catch"), whose career was cut short by his not taking great care of himself etc. Had Mantle stayed healthy he had the talent to make a run at (then) Babe Ruth's career home run record.

Using the Longevity forumla furthers proves that Mays is the best centerfielder of all time. The "Say Hey Kid" played 5 more years longer than Mantle and finished at time of his retirement in 1973 i believe 2nd on all time career list.

I do agree subway guy (None of today's players could match either Mays or Mantle)at his 'peak' Mickey was slightly better than Willie as Mantle won the MLB offensive TRIPLE CROWN.(lead in HR's, RBI's and Batting Avg.)the only Yankee to ever do so.

"Longevity' also hurt Mays a little as he played way too long retiring with the mets in 1973 instead of retiring around 1970-'71. Mays is the poster child for Hall of Famers in all sports staying 'too long' (aka the oringal Bret Favre)

Another point on the Mays-Mantle debate is this. If he stayed healthy I also agree Mantle would have broken Ruth's record and challenge Aaron for the then all time HR mark.

Back to hockey, the reason why i choose Roy over Broduer as best goalie ever (some may argue Ken Dryden, Grant Fuhr, Billy Smith and a couple of others)is fact he singlehandely in 1993 took a Montreal club that barely made the playoffs and won them a Stanley Cup. That included 'upset' of Wayne Gretzy's LA Kings as well. Broduer on other hand benfitted from the 'trap' a system that shut down all type of offensive teams and thus reason the Devils won '3' Stanley Cups between 1995-2003.

Still either way no more whom you prefer, Roy and Broduer are no doubt both in 'top 5' of all time best goalies in NHL history.

MLB:

SP: Cy Young

SP: Randy Johnson

SP: Nolan Ryan

SP: Bob Gibson

SP: Tom Seaver

SU: Dennis Eckersley

CP: Mariano Rivera

C: Yogi Berra

1B: Lou Gehrig

2B: Roger Hornsby

3B Mike Schmidt

SS: Derek Jeter

LF: Ted Williams

CF: Willie Mays

RF: Babe Ruth

DH: David Ortiz

NFL:

QB: Joe Montana

WR: Jerry Rice

RB: Marshall Faulk

TE: Shannon Sharp

K: Adam Vinatieri

CB: Deion Sanders

S: Troy Polamalu

LB: Ray Lewis

NBA:

PG Magic Johnson

SG: Michael Jordan

PF: Kevin Garnett

SF: Lebron James

C: Shaq

My favourite NHL players of all time are:

1. Joe Sakic - My childhood idol... I used to pride my game on his sportsmanship. I got quite sad during his retirement speech.

2. Peter Forsberg - Loved the skill and grit of this guy. Very underrated player.

3. Adam Foote - True leader and nasty defencemen.

4. Mario Lemieux - Can't say enough about the guy.

#5 could be a bunch of guys, so I'm just listing my top 4.

My favourite NHL players of all time are:

1. Joe Sakic - My childhood idol... I used to pride my game on his sportsmanship. I got quite sad during his retirement speech.

2. Peter Forsberg - Loved the skill and grit of this guy. Very underrated player.

3. Adam Foote - True leader and nasty defencemen.

4. Mario Lemieux - Can't say enough about the guy.

#5 could be a bunch of guys, so I'm just listing my top 4.

Among the first wave of European-born NHL players in the post cold war era(since 1990)no doubt Forsberg is among the best so far and a future Hall of Famer.

MLB:

3B Mike Schmidt

NFL:

QB: Joe Montana

WR: Jerry Rice

RB: Marshall Faulk

TE: Shannon Sharp

K: Adam Vinatieri

CB: Deion Sanders

S: Troy Polamalu

LB: Ray Lewis

NBA:

PG Magic Johnson

SG: Michael Jordan

PF: Kevin Garnett

SF: Lebron James

C: Shaq

Andrew young man. For a 18 year old these are overall excellent picks. However a couple of the picks got to disagree.

One is Ray Lewis. While Lewis no doubt is a future HOF, IMO he still no 'Lawerence Taylor.' Taylor scared the sh-t out of many QB's at height of his carrer. And on Polamalu he already maybe the best safety in NFL history.

On MLB all time 'dream team/players' here my takes. First got to disagree with Jeter being the 'best shortstop' in baseball history. Jeter is a 1st ballot HOF and the best SS of last 15 years. On other hand to say Jeter is better than Ernie Banks, Cal Ripken, A-ROD, or Ozzie Smith is IMO insane. And finally about Randy Johnson. Yes the "Unit' is also a future HOF but to put him ahead of pitchers from Koufax to Feller, Ford, Sphan, Walter Johnson and Carlton you must really like him. With that said, it's your list R68. So can't really argue about it.:eek:

MLB:

C Yogi Berra

1B Lou Gehrig

2B Rogers Hornsby

SS Ernie Banks

3B Mike Schmidt

LF Ted Williams

CF Mickey Mantle

RF Babe Ruth

I know you are basing the positions on where they played, but wouldn't Ruth be better suited at 1b and Gehrig to OF? I can't see Ruth being able to chase down many balls hit out to him. Ruth isn't as mobile as even David Ortiz and would be better off at 1st imo.

I know you are basing the positions on where they played, but wouldn't Ruth be better suited at 1b and Gehrig to OF? I can't see Ruth being able to chase down many balls hit out to him. Ruth isn't as mobile as even David Ortiz and would be better off at 1st imo.

I could be wrong but i think at the end of his carrer with then Boston Braves Ruth was a Pinch Hitter/Back-up 1st Baseman.

MLB:

3B Mike Schmidt

Most of this list I can agree with, or at least see...but DAVID ORTIZ??!??!?!?

Ruth was an average fielder in his time, and a good fielder in his prime. He was able to chase down good numbers of fly balls in a big ballpark era.

Ortiz couldn't chase down a cheeseburger in the outfield even if it left a vapor trail of bacon fat in its wake. Even if it was hit right to him, he'd need an IV and a respirator after the two steps required to throw the ball back to the infield. The guy couldn't steal second on a wild pitch.

Ruth was an average fielder in his time, and a good fielder in his prime. He was able to chase down good numbers of fly balls in a big ballpark era.

Ortiz couldn't chase down a cheeseburger in the outfield even if it left a vapor trail of bacon fat in its wake. Even if it was hit right to him, he'd need an IV and a respirator after the two steps required to throw the ball back to the infield. The guy couldn't steal second on a wild pitch.

LOL at the big 'papi' could not catch a cheseburger comment. Seriously in the DH area since 1973 IMO the 3 best DH's since they both played much of their carrer at that position in no order. Edgar Martinez, Jim Rice and Reggie Jackson.

Without denigrating anyones prior lists I have a special type of list that I call " money players". This spans all major American sports and being that I'm in my "60's I've seen most of them in person.

Baseball

Ruth, Gehrig, Ted Williams, Mays, Mantle, Berra, Clemente, Carew, Aaron, Barry Bonds. Pitchers are Koufax, Gibson, Marichal, Seaver, Catfish Hunter and Mariano Rivera.

Football

Montana, Bradshaw, Lawrence Taylor, O.J.,B Sanders, Rice, the entire " Steel Curtain", Brady/Peyton M, and Deion Prime Time. Barring injury I think that Bo Jackson could have made my list too.

Basketball

Chamberlain, Jabbar, Russell, Erving, Bird, Moses Malone, Oscar,West, Jordan,Magic,Tim Duncan and Steve Nash with Auerbach, Riley or Popovich coaching

NHL

I didn't follow the sport as closely as the others but I do have some favorites here. Gordie Howe, Phil Esposito, Guy LaFleur, Orr, Bobby Hull,Gretzky and the champion NY Islander teams.

I can't leave out Pele and Brazil in soccer. This list shouldn't be considered a "best" per se but IMO it constitutes a listing of people who generated an increased interest among fans in a time in sports when things weren't on TV every night or even radio. Some of these people like Ruth and Pele generated interest in a sport and someone like the Doctor carried a league on his shoulders. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

Without denigrating anyones prior lists I have a special type of list that I call " money players". This spans all major American sports and being that I'm in my "60's I've seen most of them in person.

Baseball

Ruth, Gehrig, Ted Williams, Mays, Mantle, Berra, Clemente, Carew, Aaron, Barry Bonds. Pitchers are Koufax, Gibson, Marichal, Seaver, Catfish Hunter and Mariano Rivera.

Football

Montana, Bradshaw, Lawrence Taylor, O.J.,B Sanders, Rice, the entire " Steel Curtain", Brady/Peyton M, and Deion Prime Time. Barring injury I think that Bo Jackson could have made my list too.

Basketball

Chamberlain, Jabbar, Russell, Erving, Bird, Moses Malone, Oscar,West, Jordan,Magic,Tim Duncan and Steve Nash with Auerbach, Riley or Popovich coaching

NHL

I didn't follow the sport as closely as the others but I do have some favorites here. Gordie Howe, Phil Esposito, Guy LaFleur, Orr, Bobby Hull,Gretzky and the champion NY Islander teams.

I can't leave out Pele and Brazil in soccer. This list shouldn't be considered a "best" per se but IMO it constitutes a listing of people who generated an increased interest among fans in a time in sports when things weren't on TV every night or even radio. Some of these people like Ruth and Pele generated interest in a sport and someone like the Doctor carried a league on his shoulders. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

Problem is trainmaster, other than all-time greats like Babe Ruth, Gowdie Howe, etc. you rarely see in these lists of best players ever those who played say before World War II and start of television. With that said Trainmaster i really like your picks and agree with most of them.:tup:

Shifting gears wanted to add in a list for the 25 best boxers of all time. This list includes all weight classes from Heavyweight-Middleweight combined. These guys are listed in no order but i will admit most on these all time legends are heavyweights.

Jack Johnson, Joe Lewis, Rocky Marchino, Sugar Ray Robinson, Roberto Duran, Floyd Patterson, Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, Marvin Hagler, Larry Holmes(maybe the most underrated 'great' fighter in history)Mike Tyson, Joe Frazier, Roy Jones, Jr., Oscar DeLahoy, George Foreman, Gene Tunney, Sugar Ray Lenoard, Thomas Hearns, and of course the greatest Mr. Ali.:cool:

American League All-Time All Stars Team:

Catcher: Mr. Yogi Berra

1st Base: Mr. Lou Gehrig

2nd Base: Mr. Derek Jeter

3rd Base: Mr. Brooks Robinson

Shorstop: Mr. Phil Rizzuto

Outfield: Mr. Al Kaline

Outfield: Mr. Joe Di Maggio

Outfield: Mr. Ty Cobb

Pitcher: Mr. Walter Johnson

Reliever: Mr. Mariano Riviera

Manager: Mr. Connie Mack

Reserve: Mr. Reggie Jackson

National League All Time All Stars Team:

Catcher: Mr. Johnny Bench

1st Base: Mr. Gil Hodges

2nd Base: Mr. Jackie Robinson

3rd Base: Mr. Pete Rose

Shortstop: Mr. Honus Wagner

Outfield: Mr. Lou Brock

Outfield: Mr. Roberto Clemente

Outfield: Mr. Henry Aaron

Pitcher: Mr. Christy Mathewson

Reliever: Mr. Troy Hoffman

Reserve: Mr. Willie Mays

Paul good list. However a few i have to disagree with. replies in red.

American League All-Time All Stars Team:

Catcher: Mr. Yogi Berra-Agreed. Only Bench, Piazza and Campy come close for best catcher ever.

1st Base: Mr. Lou Gehrig-This is so underrated for being the best player ever in MLB History.

2nd Base: Mr. Derek Jeter-Say what :confused:? I don't think Jeter ever played 2b. Where Mr. Hornsby? You got to pick '1' EE either derek or the scooter.

3rd Base: Mr. Brooks Robinson-Personally for best 3B ever in AL, I would put George Brett here.

Shorstop: Mr. Phil Rizzuto-Got pick one Paul? Personally I would choose Cal Ripken here.

Outfield: Mr. Al Kaline-Not doubt other than Hank Greenberg maybe the best "tiger"(not counting Ty Cobb for played for several times)ever. With that said he not an immortal player that belongs here.

Outfield: Mr. Joe Di Maggio-Sorry diagree. Mantle, Griffery to start belongs here. Plus Joe. D carrer was short.

Outfield: Mr. Ty Cobb-Can't argue. As a human being Cobb sucked (Ku Klax Klan member, etc) but as a player he still in top 10 in MLB history..

Paul where is Ted Williams?

Pitcher: Mr. Walter Johnson

Reliever: Mr. Mariano Riviera

Manager: Mr. Connie Mack- You could put Casey Stengal or Joe McCarthy as well here.

Reserve: Mr. Reggie Jackson-As a all time DH I agree. However not as an all time 'reserve' outfielder.

National League All Time All Stars Team:

Catcher: Mr. Johnny Bench-One of the best catchers ever no debating that..

1st Base: Mr. Gil Hodges-Where Stan Musial? Yes Gil Hodges should be in HOF but he not the best 1'stbaseman in NL history.

2nd Base: Mr. Jackie Robinson-He played several places. Still I would list Joe Morgan as the best 2B in NL history..

3rd Base: Mr. Pete Rose-Disagree. Rose should be your 'reserve' player Paul IMO as he played several positions. Mike Schmidt should be here.

Shortstop: Mr. Honus Wagner

Outfield: Mr. Lou Brock

Outfield: Mr. Roberto Clemente

Outfield: Mr. Henry Aaron

Where is Mays? Brock is a hall of famer but he was not an all time great.

Pitcher: Mr. Christy Mathewson

You could put in no order Koufax, Gibson, Carlton, Seaver, Marchial just to name a few. With that said, Mathewson almost a century after he picthed his last game still ranks in top 5 of best pitchers ever..

Reliever: Mr. Troy Hoffman-Sorry but Bruce Sutter if you talking best NL relivers ever should be the choice here.

Reserve: Mr. Willie Mays-Mays should be the starter and Brock and Clemente off the bench.

EE don't get upset but i am telling you a honest reply to your list.

EE's All Time Pro Football Team:

First Team:

Quarteback (QB): Mr. Johnny Unitas

Fullback: Mr. Jim Brown

Half Back: Mr. Walter Payton

Wide Receiver: Mr. Raymond Berry

Tight End: Mr. Mike Ditka

Tackle: Mr. Forrest Gregg

Mr. Roosevelt Brown

Guard: Mr. Jim Parker

Center: Mr. Mike Webster

Defensive End: Mr. Gino Marchetti

Defensive Tackle: Mr. Mean Joe Greene

Linebacker: Mr. Chuck Bednarik

Cornerback: Mr. D. Night Train Layne

Safety: Mr. Ken Houston

Mr. Larry Wilson

Punter: Mr. Ray Guy

Kicker: Mr. George Blanda

Coach: Mr. Tom Landry

Second Team:

Quarterback (QB): Mr. Broadway Joe Namath

Full Back: Mr. Bronko Nagurski

Half Back: Mr. Gale Sayers

Wide Receiver: Mr. Jerry Rice

Tight End: Mr. Kellen Winslow

Tackle: Mr. Anthony Munoz

Mr. Art Shell

Guard: Mr. Gene Upshaw

Center: Mr. Mel Hein

Defensive End: Mr. Reggie White

Defensive Tackle: Mr. Bob Lily

Linebacker: Mr. Lawrence Taylor

Cornerback: Mr. Rod Woodson

Safety: Mr. Ronnie Lott

Mr Cliff Harris

Punter: Mr. Don Chander

Kicker: Mr. Jan Stenerud

Coach: Mr. Vince Lombardi

Well, heres my Franchise for MLB 11 The Show. My Yanks franchise just won the 2014 WS over the Dodgers. In this franchise, I sort of made it a ultimate team thing and didn't care about payroll (In my second franchise, I actually care, but not for this one)

Starting Rotation:

CC Sabathia. Entering final year of contract for 2015

Tim Lincecum. Entering Year 4 or 6 in his contract

Justin Verlander. Free agent

Jake Peavy. Entering Year Three of Five on his contract

Ivan Nova. Entering Final Year of Contract

Lineup:

1. Brett Gardner, LF. Entering Year Two of Three year contract

2. Robinson Cano, 2B. Entering Year Four of Eight year contract

3. Albert Pujols, 1B. Entering Year Four of Five year contract

4. Troy Tulowitzki, SS. Entering Year Five of Ten year contract

5. David Wright, 3B. Entering Year Three of Five year contract

6. Matt Kemp, CF. Entering Year Four of Six year contract

7. Ryan Spilborghs, RF. Free agent after 2014

8. Eduardo Nunez, DH. Free agent after 2014

9. Yorvit Torrealba, C. Entering Year Two of Three year contract

Bullpen:

LRP: CJ Wilson. Free agent after 2014

MRP: Aroldis Chapman. Entering Final year of contract

SU: Rafeal Soriano. Free agent after 2014

SU: David Robertson Entering Year Two of Five year contract

CP: Joakim Soria. Entering final year of contract

You might wonder how I deal with such a small bullpen. Well, if my starter fails, I start to abuse CJ Wilson to eat up 3-4 innings :P

Jeter: Retired after 2013 season. Traded for Tulowitzki in offseason (forgot who I traded him for)

ARod: Retired after 2012 season. Signed David Wright in offseason to a 5 year

Texieira: Was struggling, Pujols was struggling, so Cardinals and me accepted a swap of first baseman. Pujols has been great in NY, I have no idea where Tex is now

Swisher: Traded w/ Garcia to LAD for Kemp. (Yes, the CPU controlled teams have retarded GMs)

Granderson: Lost him in free agency after 2013, went back to the Tigers. He hit a walkoff three run HR in Game 7 of 2013 Series vs Marlins at Yankee Stadium

Lot of very neat stuff happens in The Show's franchise... Nunez just won a gold glove for 2014 after I demoted Wright to DH in April 2014. However, I put Wright back at 3B and Nunez to DH for the 2014 Postseason

Archived