New NTT announcements?

QM1to6Ave

I was on the (E) today and heard an announcement I never heard before. It went "In order to maintain the proper spacing between trains, this train is being held in the station momentarily". It was the voice of the guy that does the usual "stand clear of the closing doors" voice.

Is this a new announcement? I have never, ever heard it before, and I thought I had heard all of the announcements by now. Or is it just a rarely used one?

i know they love to hit this button that say something like this" If you see a suspicious package please tell the cops or mta employee" and " attention ladies and gentleman, we are being held here due to heavy train traffic ahead"

Also i noticed on the r160 on the f line today, I noticed it seem to be losing it speaker quality since the voice was not clear. i dont have the car number but it was coney island bound around 715am (we had to go on express track to bypass a mechanical problem at ave u)

If I'm not mistaken, "Suspicious Activities" (See Something, Say Something) has to be played every 15 minutes as mandated by the higher ups. I'm not sure about the other ones.

There are different automated announcements on different NTT's. Some trains even have special automated announcement messages added in for general orders (like the 6 line, for trains bypassing Elder and St. Lawrence Avenues, and the 5 line, for trains making express stops on White Plains Road).

Generally on the R142/A's they go something like this (probably not word for word, and probably out of order...I also may have missed one or two...).

1-NYPD Security Announcement

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is an important message from the New York City Police Department...keep your belongings in sight at all times. Protect yourself. If you see a suspicious package or activity on the platform or train, do not keep it to yourself. Tell a police officer or an MTA employee. Remain alert, and have a safe day."

2-NYPD Anti-Theft Announcement

"Ladies and gentlemen, protect your personal property...keep your belongings in sight at all times. Do not display cell phones or other electronic devices. Remain alert and have a safe day."

3-Backpack Searches

"Ladies and gentlemen, backpacks and other large containers are subject to random search by the police."

4-Train Traffic

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us. Please be patient."

5-GO's Plan Ahead

"Ladies and gentlemen, please plan ahead. Construction takes place on weekends and during midday and overnight hours. For a complete listing of service changes, visit mta.info, call 718-330-1234, or look for posters in stations."

6-Customer Courtesy

"Ladies and gentlemen, when an elderly or disabled person is standing near you...offer your seat. You'll be standing up for what's right. Courtesy is contagious, and it begins with you."

7-Sexual Harassment

"Ladies and gentlemen, a crowded subway is no defense for unlawful sexual conduct. If you believe you have been the victim of a crime, or a witness to a crime, notify an MTA employee or police officer."

8-Walking between cars

"Ladies and gentlemen, not only is it unsafe, it is a violation to ride or walk between cars except in an emergency, or when directed by a police officer or the train crew. For a complete listing of rules in the subway, visit http://www.mta.info. Thank you."

9-No Litter

"Ladies and gentlemen, please help us keep the subway system clean and litter free. Please use trash receptacles."

10-Held By Dispatcher

"Ladies and gentlemen, we're being held momentarily by the train's dispatcher. Please be patient."

11-Be Considerate (the wording is probably off on this one)

"Ladies and gentlemen, on crowded subway trains please be considerate. Hold your backpacks and move to the middle of the car."

12-Riding Outside Cars

I don't remember the wording on this one. It's similar to Walking Between Cars but ends with "Always remain inside the subway car."

13-Door Message

"Ladies and gentlemen, for your safety please do not block or hold the car doors open while the train is in the station, and please, do not lean against the doors."

14-Pickpockets (wording may be off on this one too)

"Ladies and gentlemen, on crowded subway trains, be aware of pickpockets. Don't carry your wallet in your rear pocket, and hold on to your pocketbooks."

15-Thank you for riding NYCT

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit."

16-Yankee Stadium Stairs (wording almost definitely off)

"Ladies and gentlemen, if your destination is Yankee Stadium, please use the stairway at the rear of the platform to reduce crowding."

"Don't Hold Doors", "Don't Block Doors", "Don't Lean on Doors" and "Held for Connection" and the one that says the train is being held to maintain proper spacing are all out of date announcements which probably haven't gotten around to being replaced yet.

R143s and R160s have some different announcements (more). For example, R160s have an announcement for taking a train out of service due to a flood condition.

For 14th Street-Union Square on the downtown (4)(5)(6) platform, and the West Farms Square-East Tremont Avenue (2)(5) station in both directions there's this gap announcement:

"Ladies and gentlemen, as you exit, please be careful of the gap between the platform and the train."

I think there is also similar announcement to this that deal with exiting the train (This incident I'm thinking of killed, or injured, one man; he was listening to his walkman, IIRC), bu I don't remember it. Can anyone help?

I have some of my own, I think it was mentioned too.

1. Riding on the outside of the subway cars is dangerous, always remain inside of the subway cars
  2. Soliciting money in the subway is illegal we ask you not to give, please help us maintain an orderly subway
  3. For your safety please do not block the doors when the train is in the station.
  4. For your safety please do not lean against the doors
  5. (with gap filler)As you exit, please be careful between the platform and the train.
  6. This is the last stop on this train. Everyone, please leave the train.
  7. (On R-142/A, R-143) The electronic strip maps are not in service. Please listen for announcements and watch the displays.

Since we're listing special announcements, I'll include the ones I know. Along with the ones already mentioned, there are

1. "Ladies and gentlemen, the next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform. For your safety, please remain inside the subway car until the train comes to a complete stop and the doors open." - used when trains are looping thru City Hall
  2. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the last downtown stop on this train. The next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform. Ladies and gentlemen, not only is it unsafe, it is a violation to ride or walk between cars, except in an emergency, or when directed by a police officer or an MTA employee." - last stop at Brooklyn Bridge
  3. "LAG, this is the last stop on this train. Please follow the instructions from the train crew for further service." - usually used when service is partially suspended
  4. "LAG, because of debris on the tracks, this train is no longer in service. Please follow the instructions from the train crew."
  5. "LAG, because of an incident ahead, this train is no longer in service. Please follow the instructions from the train crew."
  6. "LAG, riding on the outside of subway cars is dangerous. Always remain inside of the subway cars." - That's the first half of #12, SubwayGuy.
  7. "LAG, if your destination is John F. Kennedy Airport (yes, it's pronounced like that), you must transfer from this train, to a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train to Howard Beach-JFK Airport. This is a Lefferts Blvd-bound (A) train. The last transfer point to a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train is Rockaway Blvd."
  8. "LAG, we apologize for the unavoidable delay." - I don't think this one's in the system anymore.
  9. "LAG, for your safety, please do not ride or walk between subway cars while the train is in motion." - probably replaced as well by the current "unsafe riding" announcement

LAG=ladies and gentlemen. I got tired of typing the same thing repeatedly. B)

And because I can't think of another place this will probably fit, here's the only special announcement (that I know) that isn't done by Charlie:

"This is a South Ferry-bound (1) train. The next and last stop is South Ferry. Please move forward to the first five cars. The doors on the rear five cars will not open." - by Dianne Thompson, played in lieu of the usual destination announcement at Rector St

Since we're listing special announcements, I'll include the ones I know. Along with the ones already mentioned, there are

1. "Ladies and gentlemen, the next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform. For your safety, please remain inside the subway car until the train comes to a complete stop and the doors open." - used when trains are looping thru City Hall

That one's out of date. You quoted the correct one below.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the last downtown stop on this train. The next stop on this train will be Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform. Ladies and gentlemen, not only is it unsafe, it is a violation to ride or walk between cars, except in an emergency, or when directed by a police officer or an MTA employee." - last stop at Brooklyn Bridge

Yup I forgot to include that one on the list from before. It's called "Brooklyn Bridge Loop"

"LAG, this is the last stop on this train. Please follow the instructions from the train crew for further service." - usually used when service is partially suspended

I think that one is R160 only, not sure about R143. However, there's also a generic last stop announcement that can be played as needed, which I forgot to mention earlier.

LAST STOP
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the last stop on this train, everyone please leave the train."

There are differences between this one and the version that plays automatically when the route program reach the end of the route. This version adds "ladies and gentlemen" at the beginning, and omits "thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit".

"LAG, because of debris on the tracks, this train is no longer in service. Please follow the instructions from the train crew."

"LAG, because of an incident ahead, this train is no longer in service. Please follow the instructions from the train crew."

R160 announcements, not sure if the R143 has them.

"LAG, riding on the outside of subway cars is dangerous. Always remain inside of the subway cars." - That's the first half of #12, SubwayGuy.

Yup, that's the one I couldn't remember the wording of. I also can't remember the exact wording of the pickpockets one.

"LAG, if your destination is John F. Kennedy Airport (yes, it's pronounced like that), you must transfer from this train, to a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train to Howard Beach-JFK Airport. This is a Lefferts Blvd-bound (A) train. The last transfer point to a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train is Rockaway Blvd."

R160. Interesting...similar in format to the Yankee Stadium stairs one.

"LAG, we apologize for the unavoidable delay." - I don't think this one's in the system anymore.

Replaced by Train Traffic Delay.

"LAG, for your safety, please do not ride or walk between subway cars while the train is in motion." - probably replaced as well by the current "unsafe riding" announcement

Replaced by Walking Between Cars.

LAG=ladies and gentlemen. I got tired of typing the same thing repeatedly. B)

And because I can't think of another place this will probably fit, here's the only special announcement (that I know) that isn't done by Charlie:

"This is a South Ferry-bound (1) train. The next and last stop is South Ferry. Please move forward to the first five cars. The doors on the rear five cars will not open." - by Dianne Thompson, played in lieu of the usual destination announcement at Rector St

I wonder if that's been updated or replaced since the new station opened. Haven't bothered looking through routes for things like that.

Also, I don't remember if someone else got it but an announcement is added at Union Square and West Farms Sq-E. Tremont Ave. as the train arrives saying "Ladies and gentlemen, as you exit the train please be careful of the gap between the platform and the train." However it's not a special announcement, it's hard coded into the route programs.

I have some of my own, I think it was mentioned too.
  1. Riding on the outside of the subway cars is dangerous, always remain inside of the subway cars

That's the proper wording for riding between cars.

Soliciting money in the subway is illegal we ask you not to give, please help us maintain an orderly subway

That one's not coded into R142/A's. Not sure about R143/R160s. In the IRT train crews make that one manually.

For your safety please do not block the doors when the train is in the station.
For your safety please do not lean against the doors

Both replaced by Door Message (as was Don't Hold Doors)

(with gap filler)As you exit, please be careful between the platform and the train.

This is the last stop on this train. Everyone, please leave the train.

Discussed above in my reply to Lance

(On R-142/A, R-143) The electronic strip maps are not in service. Please listen for announcements and watch the displays.

This and "The electronic strip maps are in service" are coded into the train to play when the maps are turned on or off, or when the automated announcement system is turned on or off.

The R160s have a ton more then the R142s and even the R143s. The R143 only have the (L) and (M) shuttle as routes so things like the JFK and Culver anouncments are not needed. Rightnow, several R160s are having their software updated so that the route selection can be reprogrammed enroute while the train is still moving.

i found this very odd today the way this 2 flatbush train said "this is brooklyn bound flatbush bound 2 local train." i found his weird and so my friend. this must be new one.

where did you hear it? if you heard it in Brooklyn, remember the 2 train is local in Brooklyn.

The normal (2) announcement omits the 'local' in 'Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue-bound (2) local train'. The announcement that keeps it in is pretty rare, and I think it was the original one before being replaced. You can still hear it sometimes.

That's because not all of the programs have been updated. Most have, but not all. Every once in a while I get a train that announces transfer to the W at 59th Street still, for example.

Archived