Do I need a CDL to drive a private school bus?

dmouse

next year im looking into getting like either a school bus or non-cdl box truck for my own private use, but I dont know about the school bus part?

Do you need a CDL to drive a school bus you're not going to use to transport people? Just for your own use as a driving vehicle. I was trying to read up on it and used this link to try and help me

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/sendorseFAQ.htm

But im not a school bus driver nor do I plan on being one so..?

I just want to have one for the hell of it lol

Yes & No.

If you aint transporting people then you dont need a CDL and if its for your own personal use. Farm bus drivers dont need CDLs. As far as I know tow truck drivers dont need CDLs however those big tow trucks towing buses and trucks need CDLs.

I won't be transporting anyone.

Thanks

this dosent apply for transit buses right?

if its one of those ones thats built off of a full size van chassis, it should be fine since for the most part its the same shape as the standard chevy van you can buy and drive with a regular license. Just not the cutaway ones with 6 wheels that one might require a commercial license, however oddly enough you don't need a CDL for a Motor Home.

A motor home is personal vehicle and is not a commerical vehicle. One can buy a D4500 and convert it to a motor home and not need a CDL. If your transporting people or goods/dirt or whatever in a straight truck or a combo truck you need to be backround checked which requires you to have a CDL. School buses require you to be federal and state backround checked since your transporting kids.

A motor home is personal vehicle and is not a commerical vehicle. One can buy a D4500 and convert it to a motor home and not need a CDL. If your transporting people or goods/dirt or whatever in a straight truck or a combo truck you need to be backround checked which requires you to have a CDL. School buses require you to be federal and state backround checked since your transporting kids.

yea but a motor home is also a gigantic vehicle the size of a tractor trailer or city bus. I woulda thought those things would require a CDL despite being a personal vehicle, just to get people to get trained in driving a vehicle of that size safely.

Archived