Giants DE Michael Strahan retires

TransitGuy

Giants DE Michael Strahan retires

BY TOM ROCK

NEWSDAY

June 9, 2008

39417577.jpg

(AP Photo / May 29, 2008)

Giants defensive end Michael Strahan shows off the Vince Lombardi trophy and his new

Super Bowl championship football ring after receiving the ring during a ceremony at Tiffany's.

Future Hall of Fame defensive end Michael Strahan has announced his retirement from the Giants, the team confirmed Monday.

The Giants confirmed the retirement after being notified by Strahan.

Foxsports.com first reported the story, which Strahan is quoted as saying that he wanted to make his decision and announcement prior to the team's mandatory minicamp, which begins Wednesday.

Strahan has been mulling retirement for some time. Last year he considered it and skipped most of training camp before suiting up and helping the Giants win Super Bowl XLII. He had said several times since the Super Bowl that he had made up his mind about retiring but hesitated to make his decision public.

Hell of a career. Face of the Giants for most of the last decade even throughout numerous QB changes. We'll miss ya Michael.

And what a way to go out, huh? Beatin those damn Patriots like that...

18-1! 18-1! 18-1!

I'm not gonna lie I probably would have done the same thing, leave on top. He is one of the top defensive players of all time (I think LT is number 1 though :rolleyes:) and has done pretty much everything possible in the NFL. He's definitely going to the Hall of Fame in the First ballot and I can see him in the future broadcasting. Thanks for the good times Strahan, you'll be missed.

Again, I'm not surprised he did this move. I wasn't surprised by the amount of money he wanted if he came back, and when he was going to call it.

Definately a great career. And I agree with TransitGuy, I would leave being on top of the world.

Archived