Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
lilbluefoxie

SIRT Photos Today

Went to Staten Island today, unfortunately due to track work didnt get all of what I wanted to see down there but theres always next time :) Also check out my thread of Low-V photos from today! :)

All Photos: http://jonstrainphotos.com/photos/route/sir

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2356.JPG

Enjoy!

Edited by lilbluefoxie

I hope to go back again next year and get more photos of the system, hopefully snap some photos of the BL20GHs from Clifton station like how I got the Alco S-2s back in 2009.

The pictures are great and it is nice to see that the SIR has kept the cars in good shape.

I used to take the S/55 from Rossville to the SIR and then took the S/79 at Old Town.

Thanks again for the great work:)

What are those metal boxes in front of the trucks? And I see their signaling is different so theres no trip arms on the trucks either? Also I just noticed the grab handles on the sides under tha cab windows, with the step underneath it, whats that all about?

Dan...Previous SIRT owner B&O used their CPL signalling until MTA modernized with CTC-type improvements a few years ago.

FRA required standard RR grabs, stirrups, headlights, air whistles on SIRT cars since B&O also delivered freight along the line. Apparently the rule continues.

Don't know what those truck boxes are, but subway-type safety brake trips were never used on SIRT/SIR.

What are those metal boxes in front of the trucks? And I see their signaling is different so theres no trip arms on the trucks either? Also I just noticed the grab handles on the sides under tha cab windows, with the step underneath it, whats that all about?
The metal boxes you see in front of the wheels is what reads the cab signaling from the rails. It's what tells the on board computer how fast that train is permitted to go in that current track circuit. If it gets no code aka zero code from the transponders on the tracks, the train won't move.

^^ Interesting. Thank you.

I have a better detailed schematic but I can't seem to find it at the moment.