SIRT Photos Today

lilbluefoxie

• 2 months later...

What are those metal boxes in front of the trucks? And I see their signaling is different so theres no trip arms on the trucks either? Also I just noticed the grab handles on the sides under tha cab windows, with the step underneath it, whats that all about?

Dan...Previous SIRT owner B&O used their CPL signalling until MTA modernized with CTC-type improvements a few years ago.

FRA required standard RR grabs, stirrups, headlights, air whistles on SIRT cars since B&O also delivered freight along the line. Apparently the rule continues.

Don't know what those truck boxes are, but subway-type safety brake trips were never used on SIRT/SIR.

• 2 weeks later...
What are those metal boxes in front of the trucks? And I see their signaling is different so theres no trip arms on the trucks either? Also I just noticed the grab handles on the sides under tha cab windows, with the step underneath it, whats that all about?
The metal boxes you see in front of the wheels is what reads the cab signaling from the rails. It's what tells the on board computer how fast that train is permitted to go in that current track circuit. If it gets no code aka zero code from the transponders on the tracks, the train won't move.

Archived