Veolia Gearing Up to Slash LI Bus Service Next Year

mark1447

Things are looking worse and worse for Long Island Bus riders, who face privatization of the system next year. Over the weekend, Veolia Transportation Vice President Michael Setzer, who would run the system, implied that Nassau County bus riders should expect fare hikes and service cuts in 2013. But a Huffington Post article published this morning suggests that those could come as soon as next year, despite previous guarantees that fares and service levels would stay the same in 2012:

[Veolia] had pledged there would be no immediate service or fare changes in 2012. On Monday, however, Setzer declined to repeat that promise, instead saying that more details about service in 2012 would emerge in the final bus system contract, which the county said will be finalized within days.

Read more:

http://blog.tstc.org/2011/09/20/veolia-gearing-up-to-slash-li-bus-service-next-year/

New Long Island Bus Website (To be used in the future by Veolia) http://www.libusinfo.com/

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this coming. And I'm one to always hope for things, but these are the things the people can't change or stop, because its not how the government works. People protested against the MTA's cuts, and they still went through. Nassau County's bus service is gonna fall, and all I can say is that, I as many others, don't want to see it fall, but it had a great run.

I have hope for LI Bus' system actually. There are areas that are overserved, and those that are underserved. But what I hope doesn't happen is the complete elimination of north-south services running east of the N27 and N40/1.

Having said that, I wonder if savings can be wrung out with a unionized operation, even if LIB management under the MTA was top-heavy.

The people of Nassau(some) and the govt there think the (MTA) is the devil.. But the true Devil is Mangos for making a deal with Veolia.

But lets see how things progress before we make a conclusion... Too early for a final ans.

inb4vittoriopostsmorepropaganda

Yeah, he said "Let's see Veolia try." You only get one shot at a first impression.

Yeah and I still stand by what I said too. If Nassau can't afford to run the bus service, then cuts have to be made. It's the taxpayers that will be shelling out more to run these services, and they have some of the highest taxes in the nation. Why should people put out more money that they don't have if you have buses running near empty on some lines?? If this were the city I would be against it, because the majority of the population in the city does not own cars, which is to be expected, but this is Long Island. Completely different scenario out there and they've been mouching off of the (MTA) way too long. Time to pay up or get off of the pot. B) :tup:

Yeah and I still stand by what I said too. If Nassau can't afford to run the bus service, then cuts have to be made. It's the taxpayers that will be shelling out more to run these services, and they have some of the highest taxes in the nation. Why should people put out more money that they don't have if you have buses running near empty on some lines?? If this were the city I would be against it, because the majority of the population in the city does not own cars, which is to be expected, but this is Long Island. Completely different scenario out there and they've been mouching off of the (MTA) way too long. Time to pay up or get off of the pot. B) :tup:

amen Via G., this is what I have been saying all along, we Nassau residents cant afford the system as it is now, we cant afford higher taxes, and some cuts will have to be made.

amen Via G., this is what I have been saying all along, we Nassau residents cant afford the system as it is now, we cant afford higher taxes, and some cuts will have to be made.

Yeah, that's the one thing that I've been saying too. I mean sure if buses can be kept, let's do everything possible to keep them. I know some folks say the buses are needed and to that I say, fine, then tell me where you get the additional monies from???

Yeah, that's the one thing that I've been saying too. I mean sure if buses can be kept, let's do everything possible to keep them. I know some folks say the buses are needed and to that I say, fine, then tell me where you get the additional monies from???

They think everyone out here, Magnano included has some secret stash of money they are hiding from everyone lol.

Well, hopefully they can find a way to increase the ridership on the lines so Veolia has that extra money from the ridership. They could add some limited-stop service to some of the high-volume routes (the N4 and N40/N41) or maybe do something else to increase ridership.

In some cases, they could reduce service to allow for standees. As we all know, here in NYC, "crowded" doesn't mean "seated load", so they could probably reduce the frequency on some routes to have some money to run basic service on the coverage routes.

Veolia gives it away:

Will I notice any immediate changes to the bus service beginning January 1?

With the County budget shortfall, Veolia will be completing not only a top to bottom analysis of the routes and schedules, but also for the entire operation. We do envision changes on routes that may have lower performance than other routes. Our efforts over the coming weeks will be to closely identify where the routes can be modified to minimize the impact to customers. Please check the Routes and Schedules and Community Meetings sections to see how you can participate in this process.

While a complete analysis of the Long Island Bus system and the service that is provided to riders is ongoing, we expect that riders will notice few if any changes to their bus routes during a transition period early in 2012 while Veolia assumes responsibility for the system. However, they may find that the timetable has been adjusted so that buses on certain routes arrive less frequently. Until December 31, the only changes will be those made by the MTA.

Archived