Veolia Gearing Up to Slash LI Bus Service Next Year

mark1447

Veolia gives it away...

Remember that Nassau County still owns the system and is still fully responsible for fares and service levels. If there are any cuts, they will have been approved by the County in advance.

Otherwise, the "no changes" rule clearly means no cuts, no increases, no tweaks to running times, and no shifting trips to facilitate transfers.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will you fools STOP counting your eggs before they hatch!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea what veolia will do yet you are already quick to say service cuts!!!!!!!!! cmon give em a chance!!!!!!!!!!! you never know they might modify routes to increase ridership. Can you imagine the ridership increase that can happen should N74/73 get extended to long beach via lido beach??? cmon have an open mind. Imagine the N50 being rerouted to act like a crosstown for centenial ave linking with N35,40/41/43,45,46 and absorbing N14. N14 has low ridership but long beach rd has high travel demand a few reroutings here and there will increase ridership. N25 can absorb N16 baldwin segment the N16 or new N50 can go to green acres via sunrise hwy where LIRR service sucks. New rte based on penninsula after eliminating N16 short turns hello.

Imagine N46 going to roosevelt directly timing with N54/55 all via reroutes which can breathe new life into this dead rte!!!!!!!!!!! N81 has timed links to ronkonkoma trains why not crosstown it to syosset you will still get to hicksville either way. Think about ways to increase ridership instead of bitching o LIB is not needed LIB is lame think about suggestions that can help give veolia reason NOT to make service cuts you only have one year to be heard!!!!!!!!!!! It's 2012 or never cause after if the routes stay as is THERE WILL BE SEVERE SERVICE CUTS!!!!!!!!! the route system is broken and needs realignment asap or face deep cuts still It will never get suffolk bad or dutchess bad but for nassau it will get bad waiting for pinepower rant in 3 2 1 ...

I wonder if Harry will relocate update Long Island Bus as Veolia Nassau County Bus in Regional Transit thread on Veolia`s takeover? Or will Veolia Nassau Bus topic will be on MTA Bus thread with subforum?

I think it should stay where it is because we talk about SCT in this category too!

QJ, did you took ride on buses you mentioned above?

I wonder if Harry will relocate update Long Island Bus as Veolia Nassau County Bus in Regional Transit thread on Veolia`s takeover? Or will Veolia Nassau Bus topic will be on MTA Bus thread with subforum?

YES when I do secret shops I use these buses sometimes I use SCT and time my self and my locations with the schedules then improvise when a rte is late I switch buses on a whim. LIB I look at the direction those ppl head the N74/73 need a major trip generator they are already timed with LIRR but end in the middle of nowhere and run like crap at rush hr eliminating their use as rush hr commuter buses like beeline's 63 line these N buses have potential to absorb ridership from LIRR. N74/73 if extended to long beach I just know for sure ridership WILL increase. Most of my transit hunches are usually right. Everytime I speak at those meetings I gain applause after revealing key details of my ideas none of which were explained on these forums. Also I used all the rtes mentioned above so I know that in their current forms THEY WILL NOT SURVIVE!!!!!!!! They have no purpose N50 goes to nowhere and looks stupid. N46 goes to hempstead now that would have been nice if ppl in bellmore actually wanted hempstead BUT THEY DON'T!!!!!!! most of those ppl are heading to roosevelt field N46 is useless!!!!!!!! N46 has such anemic ridership it has nothing to lose with a reroute ridership will improve and those few hempstead ppl can use N70/71/72 with the frequencies of those buses there is NO EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!!! These lines have 2 options REROUTE TO BECOME USEFUL TO THE MAJORITY OF PPL'S TRAVEL HABITS OR FACE ELIMINATION!!!!!!!! 3Rd option get reduced to TRI HOURLY like the morris county NJT lines!!!!!!!!!!! off topic 871 formerly MCM1 was reduced to such a horrid level it's more useless than ever. It was hourly now its almost bi hourly and only getting worse. That same gruesome truth will happen to N50,74/73,46 should they not get changed!!!!!!!!!

Will you fools STOP counting your eggs before they hatch!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea what veolia will do yet you are already quick to say service cuts!!!!!!!!! cmon give em a chance!!!!!!!!!!! you never know they might modify routes to increase ridership. Can you imagine the ridership increase that can happen should N74/73 get extended to long beach via lido beach??? cmon have an open mind. Imagine the N50 being rerouted to act like a crosstown for centenial ave linking with N35,40/41/43,45,46 and absorbing N14. N14 has low ridership but long beach rd has high travel demand a few reroutings here and there will increase ridership. N25 can absorb N16 baldwin segment the N16 or new N50 can go to green acres via sunrise hwy where LIRR service sucks. New rte based on penninsula after eliminating N16 short turns hello.

Imagine N46 going to roosevelt directly timing with N54/55 all via reroutes which can breathe new life into this dead rte!!!!!!!!!!! N81 has timed links to ronkonkoma trains why not crosstown it to syosset you will still get to hicksville either way. Think about ways to increase ridership instead of bitching o LIB is not needed LIB is lame think about suggestions that can help give veolia reason NOT to make service cuts you only have one year to be heard!!!!!!!!!!! It's 2012 or never cause after if the routes stay as is THERE WILL BE SEVERE SERVICE CUTS!!!!!!!!! the route system is broken and needs realignment asap or face deep cuts still It will never get suffolk bad or dutchess bad but for nassau it will get bad waiting for pinepower rant in 3 2 1 ...

I hope you are right and praying my fears of hourly headways on most routes are wrong...:(

They make cuts for one reason, money. Combining routes does not save money because its going to require the same amount of buses and drivers or else the headways are going to increase.

If I were to guess what their routes are going to be, it would look similar to that MTA route cutting they proposed in 2010 for this year but wound up getting money so they didn't need to implement it. It was around the time Nassau decided to go with a private operator.

It remains to be seen what sort of attitude will the new management take to Long Island Bus, are they going to try to bring in new riders? are they going to stick to the small part of the population in Nassau that depends on the bus to get around.

I wouldn't give up driving for it, no matter who's running it.

And as for NCC, which was a concern in a previous topic, if there is inadequate bus service there, I am sure that the college would provide its own shuttle bus, SUNY Old Westbury has a mall/railroad station shuttle bus, and I know that Adelphi has an LIRR shuttle bus as well.

They make cuts for one reason, money. Combining routes does not save money because its going to require the same amount of buses and drivers or else the headways are going to increase.

If I were to guess what their routes are going to be, it would look similar to that MTA route cutting they proposed in 2010 for this year but wound up getting money so they didn't need to implement it. It was around the time Nassau decided to go with a private operator.

It remains to be seen what sort of attitude will the new management take to Long Island Bus, are they going to try to bring in new riders? are they going to stick to the small part of the population in Nassau that depends on the bus to get around.

And as for NCC, which was a concern in a previous topic, if there is inadequate bus service there, I am sure that the college would provide its own shuttle bus, SUNY Old Westbury has a mall/railroad station shuttle bus, and I know that Adelphi has an LIRR shuttle bus as well.

ur right and wrong yes they can make their own shuttle bus to help with connectivity. But wrong as they can take an approach similar to what is being done in rochester,NY where the transit operator strikes a deal with the colleges to gain access to additional funding in order to enhance bus rtes to and from the college. I guess it's high time I send my completed (perfected) proposal to veolia as it is actually more geared towards increasing ridership by making lines more useful which in turn would increase revenue and decrease operating costs. Unlike my previous attempt IT'S NOT ABOUT COMBINING RTES!!!!!!

I guess it's high time I send my completed (perfected) proposal to veolia as it is actually more geared towards increasing ridership by making lines more useful which in turn would increase revenue and decrease operating costs. Unlike my previous attempt IT'S NOT ABOUT COMBINING RTES!!!!!!

LMAO... Sure, tell us anything... If I had a macchiato with me here in my office, I would've almost choked on it from laughing. It's clear you've had too much coffee this morning. :eek:

Will you fools STOP counting your eggs before they hatch!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea what veolia will do yet you are already quick to say service cuts!!!!!!!!! cmon give em a chance!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you in this respect. Veolia could possibly pull an upset and surprise us all. Hope does spring eternal...or something.

LMAO... Sure, tell us anything... If I had a macchiato with me here in my office, I would've almost choked on it from laughing. It's clear you've had too much coffee this morning. :eek:

When I saw "perfected" I spat out my tea laughing.

I guess it's high time I send my completed (perfected) proposal to veolia as it is actually more geared towards increasing ridership by making lines more useful which in turn would increase revenue and decrease operating costs. Unlike my previous attempt IT'S NOT ABOUT COMBINING RTES!!!!!!

:eek:

ur right and wrong yes they can make their own shuttle bus to help with connectivity. But wrong as they can take an approach similar to what is being done in rochester,NY where the transit operator strikes a deal with the colleges to gain access to additional funding in order to enhance bus rtes to and from the college. I guess it's high time I send my completed (perfected) proposal to veolia as it is actually more geared towards increasing ridership by making lines more useful which in turn would increase revenue and decrease operating costs. Unlike my previous attempt IT'S NOT ABOUT COMBINING RTES!!!!!!

96.png

There's still the rest of the system to consider...

I agree with you in this respect. Veolia could possibly pull an upset and surprise us all. Hope does spring eternal...or something.

When I saw "perfected" I spat out my tea laughing.

It is definitely different and focuses more on adding trip generators to breathe life into some so called dead routes.

For example N74/73 look dead there is nothing in wantagh BUT many ppl use the loop parkway to lido beach right the former N87 was crushloaded even with shitty service. Extend N74/73 to long beach via jones beach ocean parkway then it's ridership is bound to increase since they are already timed with many west-bound LIRR trains if it goes well it would also increase LIRR ridership as well.

Long beach is a major trip generator which can bring new life to the N74/73 which in their current states are lifeless.

Well, the general idea of combining routes might save some money if it eliminates duplication (like the B5/B50 merge into the B82). That, and if done right, it can attract additional ridership (and of course, if done wrong, you can lose riders)

As far as NCC goes, a lot of the students live on Long Island. Of course, providing shuttles to Mineola and Hempstead would help those near the LIRR (and there are some reasonably strong routes serving other areas that would probably stay), but for those living out in eastern Nassau, the shuttle buses wouldn't help (not necessarily saying the routes should stay or go, just disputing this point).

Well, hopefully they can find a way to increase the ridership on the lines so Veolia has that extra money from the ridership. They could add some limited-stop service to some of the high-volume routes (the N4 and N40/N41) or maybe do something else to increase ridership.

Sorry champ, but I don't see implementing N40 LTDs bringing any more riders to that route... You're thinking as a city resident there... Ltd's are a big draw here in the city b/c there are so many traffic lights about the place... b/c there's a (local) bus stop every 2-4 blocks or so....

Neither is the case in the suburbs.... different mindset....

Otherwise, the "no changes" rule clearly means no cuts, no increases, no tweaks to running times, and no shifting trips to facilitate transfers.

IAWTP.... but what is with you & repeating yourself verbatim....

Will you fools STOP counting your eggs before they hatch!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea what veolia will do yet you are already quick to say service cuts!!!!!!!!! cmon give em a chance!!!

....and you do?

Give me a justifiable reason to be optimistic about veolia bettering the routes systemwide on such low funds.... Nevermind veolia's history.....

oh that's right, you have a perfected plan...

man FOH....

N74/73 if extended to long beach I just know for sure ridership WILL increase. Most of my transit hunches are usually right.....

...Everytime I speak at those meetings I gain applause after revealing key details of my ideas none of which were explained on these forums.....

...3rd option get reduced to TRI HOURLY....

....That same gruesome truth will happen to N50,74/73,46 should they not get changed!!!!!!!!!

N73/74 to long beach will bring in more riders? even though ppl. barely take the things now.... yeah, b/c ppl. in eastern Nassau are just yearning to go to that area of the county.... I mean t'hell with long beach, usage on the old N87 paled in comparison to the N88..... Where was the demand for a N87 extension to Long beach when that route was around.... smh....

I see you're back heavy on that master plan BS again... something so grand that's never been pointed out on any forum prior, or discovered otherwise, is/was somehow your idea to begin with.... yes, b/c you've graced us with your brillance ever since your first post on here.... still smfh....

...and service every 3 hours??? can't see that happening in Nassau county.... you'd be better off getting rid of that/those particular services....

Combining routes does not save money because its going to require the same amount of buses and drivers or else the headways are going to increase.

....that's all assuming the combined service levels are kept for the combined route/corridor/etc.

combining routes can save money, but it usually doesn't... that much I will agree with....

I agree with you in this respect. Veolia could possibly pull an upset and surprise us all.....

not on 2-3 million dollars for 48 bus routes....

It is definitely different and focuses more on adding trip generators to breathe life into some so called dead routes.

For example N74/73 look dead there is nothing in wantagh BUT many ppl use the loop parkway to lido beach right the former N87 was crushloaded even with shitty service. Extend N74/73 to long beach via jones beach ocean parkway then it's ridership is bound to increase since they are already timed with many west-bound LIRR trains if it goes well it would also increase LIRR ridership as well.

Long beach is a major trip generator which can bring new life to the N74/73 which in their current states are lifeless.

still stuck on this N73/74 to long beach tip huh....

First of all, Long beach is a localized major trip generator, much like Great Neck is... You act like the masses are seeking Long beach itself in mass numbers.... as if Long beach is a Hempstead or a Nassau Hub or something.....

a bus route traveling on the wantagh state, to jones beach, on loop pkwy, through lido beach onto long beach.... STILL smfh.... You think it's an accident that lido beach has its own damn bus system.... to then want to have "outsiders" (as via would put it) backdoor their way into their neighborhood.... wow man....

for someone that claims to know (and actually gloat) so much about planning, you post the most inane crap when it comes to bus routes by far on this forum.... and don't give me that "sometimes you have to be different" garbage either...

I see you're back heavy on that master plan BS again... something so grand that's never been pointed out on any forum prior, or discovered otherwise, is/was somehow your idea to begin with.... yes, b/c you've graced us with your brillance ever since your first post on here.... still smfh....

...and service every 3 hours??? can't see that happening in Nassau county.... you'd be better off getting rid of that/those particular services....

....that's all assuming the combined service levels are kept for the combined route/corridor/etc.

combining routes can save money, but it usually doesn't... that much I will agree with....

First of all, Long beach is a localized major trip generator, much like Great Neck is... You act like the masses are seeking Long beach itself in mass numbers.... as if Long beach is a Hempstead or a Nassau Hub or something.....

a bus route traveling on the wantagh state, to jones beach, on loop pkwy, through lido beach onto long beach.... STILL smfh.... You think it's an accident that lido beach has its own damn bus system.... to then want to have "outsiders" (as via would put it) backdoor their way into their neighborhood.... wow man....

for someone that claims to know (and actually gloat) so much about planning, you post the most inane crap when it comes to bus routes by far on this forum.... and don't give me that "sometimes you have to be different" garbage either...

Well said bro in reply to the Einstein 'master plan' by sir transitmaster and how his most of his plans are 'so far in outer space'.:tup:

Sorry champ, but I don't see implementing N40 LTDs bringing any more riders to that route... You're thinking as a city resident there... Ltd's are a big draw here in the city b/c there are so many traffic lights about the place... b/c there's a (local) bus stop every 2-4 blocks or so....

IAWTP.... but what is with you & repeating yourself verbatim....

....and you do?

Give me a justifiable reason to be optimistic about veolia bettering the routes systemwide on such low funds.... Nevermind veolia's history.....

oh that's right, you have a perfected plan...

man FOH....

N73/74 to long beach will bring in more riders? even though ppl. barely take the things now.... yeah, b/c ppl. in eastern Nassau are just yearning to go to that area of the county.... I mean t'hell with long beach, usage on the old N87 paled in comparison to the N88..... Where was the demand for a N87 extension to Long beach when that route was around.... smh....

not on 2-3 million dollars for 48 bus routes....

still stuck on this N73/74 to long beach tip huh....

ERR calm down not so serious this also gives transit from long beach island to jones beach and to LIRR babylon for points east it caters to 2 different kinds of riders yes I know N87 paled in comparison to N88. But in a way it can help create an alternative to the smothering deathtrap on wheels we know as the N88.

Well said bro in reply to the Einstein 'master plan' by sir transitmaster and how his most of his plans are 'so far in outer space'.:tup:
err wow I apologize for being out of this world earthling. I am sorry to have fried ur brain sometimes with so called einstein ideas I love regional express rtes and have a dirty habit of suggesting things that appear extreme at first untill looked at from a travel option perspective. Who knows maybe the buses will get a new look that can attract riders owell that does seem bleak but you have to be neutral from both sides of the coin

ERR calm down not so serious this also gives transit from long beach island to jones beach and to LIRR babylon for points east it caters to 2 different kinds of riders yes I know N87 paled in comparison to N88. But in a way it can help create an alternative to the smothering deathtrap on wheels we know as the N88.

"calm down not so serious" = you have points there I can't refute.

Anyway, The most baffling thing w/ that N73/74 thing of yours is that.... you seem to think they're looking to expand the network....

"calm down not so serious" = you have points there I can't refute.

Anyway, The most baffling thing w/ that N73/74 thing of yours is that.... you seem to think they're looking to expand the network....

true but with that the N74/73 will gain a ridership increase that will create additional revenue that will decrease operating costs. Plus it will be able to Interline with N15, N33 and even N50(via reroute) The reroutes will allow extra time to save the lines as ridership increases then mangando will have his hand forced cause the potential new riders aren't average poor ppl. But mostly ppl who choose to use transit then they will learn that it's a viable option to use. The new riders will not take too kindly to cuts to their new service. LIB will integrate better with LIRR on a deeper level than ever before making most rtes useful making the potential for service cuts much less likely. If a miracle happens we can have our white version of the N6 but I won't hold my breath. But ppl already HATE DRIVING in long beach meaning should the N74/73 with it's closed door policy successfully take advantage of and manipulate ppl's distaste for the driving conditions on long beach soon ridership would increase beyond my predictions. It's about making seemingly useless rtes relevant and useful via minor tweaks here and there. N4 and N40 already make money those lines will NEVER get reduced ever. I won't go into detail my entire LI ideas but now you have a taste. Also the interlining with other cost efficient rtes like N15 and N33 would only decrease costs further while chipping away at the stigma I am starting to think that stigma only applied to the fact that it was MTA run and the payroll tax.

1) Sorry champ, but I don't see implementing N40 LTDs bringing any more riders to that route... You're thinking as a city resident there... Ltd's are a big draw here in the city b/c there are so many traffic lights about the place... b/c there's a (local) bus stop every 2-4 blocks or so....

2) not on 2-3 million dollars for 48 bus routes....

3) a bus route traveling on the wantagh state, to jones beach, on loop pkwy, through lido beach onto long beach.... STILL smfh.... You think it's an accident that lido beach has its own damn bus system.... to then want to have "outsiders" (as via would put it) backdoor their way into their neighborhood.... wow man....

1) True. I mean, Richmond Avenue south of Victory Blvd would probably be considered a suburban road, and the time savings on that section are close to nothing on the S89.

But even if there are few traffic lights, the limited might still save some time. For example, the S53 doesn't have a significant number of traffic lights, but a handful of people get on/off at a lot of the minor stops, which slows most of the people down.

But obviously, I don't know the N40/N41 specifically, so I'll take your word that it's not needed.

2) Just a technicality, but their budget isn't only going to be $2-3 million. They'll probably be getting something from the DOT like Westchester does.

3) But even though they're "outsiders", the demographics of most of those areas are similar to those of Lido Beach.

I wonder if the villages will be able to replace some of the routes. Great Neck could run a shuttle to the train station, and Long Beach could extend the West End route to Far Rockaway (they wouldn't accept free transfers, so they'll probably have a higher farebox recovery ratio). And maybe Glen Cove could run something if both the N21/N27 are eliminated.

true but with that the N74/73 will gain a ridership increase that will create additional revenue that will decrease operating costs. Plus it will be able to Interline with N15, N33 and even N50(via reroute) The reroutes will allow extra time to save the lines as ridership increases then mangando will have his hand forced cause the potential new riders aren't average poor ppl. But mostly ppl who choose to use transit then they will learn that it's a viable option to use. The new riders will not take too kindly to cuts to their new service. LIB will integrate better with LIRR on a deeper level than ever before making most rtes useful making the potential for service cuts much less likely. If a miracle happens we can have our white version of the N6 but I won't hold my breath. But ppl already HATE DRIVING in long beach meaning should the N74/73 with it's closed door policy successfully take advantage of and manipulate ppl's distaste for the driving conditions on long beach soon ridership would increase beyond my predictions. It's about making seemingly useless rtes relevant and useful via minor tweaks here and there. N4 and N40 already make money those lines will NEVER get reduced ever. I won't go into detail my entire LI ideas but now you have a taste. Also the interlining with other cost efficient rtes like N15 and N33 would only decrease costs further while chipping away at the stigma I am starting to think that stigma only applied to the fact that it was MTA run and the payroll tax.

An extension to Jones Beach or Long Beach probably would attract ridership, but the problem is that the budget is really small. The extension would probably increase cost-efficiency, but it would increase costs overall (and the increased ridership still wouldn't make it up)

If Veolia were given a sufficient budget, they could probably run well-used and higher-quality service, but as of now, they're going to barely have enough to run the core system.

And the stigma is there regardless of who's running the service (for the 1,000th time). "The bus" is looked down, especially as you get to more suburban areas.

1) True. I mean, Richmond Avenue south of Victory Blvd would probably be considered a suburban road, and the time savings on that section are close to nothing on the S89.

But even if there are few traffic lights, the limited might still save some time. For example, the S53 doesn't have a significant number of traffic lights, but a handful of people get on/off at a lot of the minor stops, which slows most of the people down.

But obviously, I don't know the N40/N41 specifically, so I'll take your word that it's not needed.

Rode the N40 once Mineola-Freeport during the late AM rush. Most people were riding between Mineola, Hempstead, and Freeport transfer centers, there were quite a few intermediate stops but nowhere near every single stop. Most stops were only one rider on (very few offs except for the transit centers). Converting the N40 to an "express" that only stopped at the transit centers during the hours of N41/N43 operation is a good idea.

2) Just a technicality, but their budget isn't only going to be $2-3 million. They'll probably be getting something from the DOT like Westchester does.

3) But even though they're "outsiders", the demographics of most of those areas are similar to those of Lido Beach.

I wonder if the villages will be able to replace some of the routes. Great Neck could run a shuttle to the train station, and Long Beach could extend the West End route to Far Rockaway (they wouldn't accept free transfers, so they'll probably have a higher farebox recovery ratio). And maybe Glen Cove could run something if both the N21/N27 are eliminated.

2) which would equate to more money for veolia to pocket & do w/e they want w/ it...

It's like your moms givin you 5 dollars for lunch everyday.... you only spend $2 of it everyday; you net $3/day; 15/week.... you do that every month, on top of whatever you get for allowance, and you can get that PS3 game your moms claim she doesn't have the money for....

- lunch = bus service (the bare necessity, in this case)

- allowance = w/e monies they'd get from elsewhere

- ps3 game = (monies towards) extended vacations & fancy cars, and other luxuries....

^^ that analogy came natural to me b/c it's actually what I did, growin up (of course, replace PS3 w/ SNES & Genesis)....

3) means nothing... That's like me livin in a quiet-is-as-kept neighborhood somewhere, and me being okay w/ more middle class blacks from other areas coming into my area - just b/c they're black.... It's called the small-town mentality.... and places like lido beach & long beach fit that to a T....

As for the villages replacing some of the routes.... that I don't know; Joel (Azumah) would be a better person to ask that question....

What I will say is, why would the city of long beach want to provide transportation to far rockaway.... If the N33 were to go, I can assure you long beach/lido beach folks wouldn't wince, much less show any amt. of concern....

Archived